Spain Restaurant & Toma Bar
513 Tampa Street
Tampa, FL 33602Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Spain Restaurant & Toma Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.tomaspain.com/
- Phone: 8132232831
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:00am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am-3:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm;
Sundays Brunch 10am-3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Spanish, Cuban
- Executive Chef: Maria Castro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Spain Restaurant has catering for every style and size event. No party is to big or to small and will also deliver it for free. See our menus for selections.
- Entertainment: The Spain Restaurant offer Live Music every Friday and Saturday nights. We also have a monthly Flamenco Show, which is the last Saturday of each month.
A word from Spain Restaurant & Toma Bar
Enjoy Mediterranean atmosphere in Tampa’s most unique, modern, urban setting complimented by excellent authentic Spanish cuisine at affordable prices. Just blocks around the corner from Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center and the Tampa Theater, the Spain Restaurant and Toma Tapas Bar is the perfect place to be before or after a show. We offer Live Music every Friday and Saturday nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Spain Restaurant & Toma Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)romantic (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Does not matchEsilvaDined on 6/21/2014I love Spanish food and ambiance . Even though menu and good was good and there was a Spanish guitarist playing , ambiance was nothing what i expect. There was nothing Spanish in this Restaurant when it comes to Decor and style . Extremely white and cold look, menu does not match atmosphere at all , you get lost when you come not knowing if you are in the right place . I have been many times in Spain so I know what to look for . Server was nice but not the kind expected for this type of restaurant . Too young , too casual . Food was good . Guitarist very good just felt bad he was playing for almost no one .
- Spain?!LissAlMoVIPDined on 6/6/2014Don't know where Spain falls into this restaurant. The tapas were okay, service slow and they charge $1 per person to hear the guitarist play while you eat.
- Very averageJm32VIPDined on 5/21/2014The tapas were good but the entrees flavorless. Service was fair.
- Loved the Spanish food & music!KsbeachnutDined on 5/17/2014SPAIN was recommended by hotel staff on our recent vacation, and we're so happy they did! Immediately upon opening the door we heard a Spanish guitarista playing, which added so much ambiance to this authentic restaurant. The menu offers tapas or full entrees. We tried the logostinos (shrimp), the paella (comes in tapas size or entree), and the beef tips. Excellent! They have a lively bar area, but it wasn't a distraction in the restaurant. We will definitely come back on our next trip to Tampa.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great MusicwedineDined on 5/3/2014We dined at the Spain Restaurant for my husbands birthday. The Saturday night Spanish guitar player added a nice element to the evening. The food was delicious and the wine list included some lovely Rojas's. The owner came by and personally uncorked our wine and shared a story of his personal knowledge of the winery. This added a nice touch to our evening. Highly recommend this Tampa gem.Special Features:
- Great Food & MusicBahamaBreezeDined on 5/3/2014We always have a terrific time at Spain. Great food, band and service. Only glitch is there are always a few tables with screaming babies or toddlers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 165 reviews are from the Spain Restaurant & Toma Bar reviews archive.
- Go for lunch - stay home for dinnerPatCVIPDined on 4/26/2014I had lunch here and the food, served cafeteria-style, was excellent, flavorful Cuban fare of chicken & yellow rice, mojo pork (excellent), perfectly-done rice and tender and fresh black beans with shaved onions. Sadly, I thought dinner would be the same - it was not and I was bitterly disappointed. The tapas dish of olives, manchego cheese and serrano ham was disappointing in its lack of caring preparation: the cheese was cold, the ham was thoroughly dried out and tasteless, but the olives were perfect - freshly out of the jar. The main course was forgettable, and the flan was thick, rubbery and not worthy of being called flan. Sadly, dinner cannot be recommended. Lunch is wonderful.
- Go to Spain!Bri4SuzeDined on 4/4/2014Spain is always a great choice for excellent food and live Spanish music. The Flamenco show should not be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2014Excellent food choice. The tapas are very well sized. Very attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I must have one word --- amazing!!!MathewDined on 4/2/2014I must have one word --- amazing!!! Even though they were very busy the staff was attentive, the food was awesome, and the atmosphere perfect!! We even returned the next night!!! If you are going you must try the red sangria and stick to the amazing tapas menu. It's not just dinner-- it's an experience!!Special Features:
- Very pleasant dining experience.BillVIPDined on 3/29/2014Very pleasant dining experience. I have dined there several times and have always been pleased with food and service.Special Features:
- Service was friendly and veryJumboDined on 3/22/2014Service was friendly and very attentive. Food was excellent. I would definitely return.Special Features:
- good food and serviceSueHVIPDined on 3/7/2014Food is great and service good. My only complaint is that the music makes it difficult to talk to your dinner companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceDougGDined on 3/6/2014The evening I was there (with 2 customers), business was slow I guess since it was a Thursday night. Service was excellent, waitstaff didn't rush us to order so we could talk over cocktails. Food was well great and a Toma Bar style is perfect to share food and get closer to the customer. The lighting was a bit bright and the table/chairs were ok but nothing fancy. YES I would return.Special Features:
- The music wa good, but tooOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/1/2014The music wa good, but too loud for the space. Good food in downtown.Special Features:
- new waiterDeejayDined on 3/1/2014The night we dined at Spain, it was busy because of activities in the downtown area. Apparently our waiter was somewhat new; he didn't know the menu at all. He brought our check without even asking about coffee or dessert. He was pleasant enough, but definitely not up to par.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Spanish food and musicLisaVIPDined on 2/15/2014We chose to go here because it was close to our hotel but were pleasantly surprised to see a wonderful Spanish guitar player for at least 20 minutes. That doesn't make for easy conversation but he wasn't overly loud. My husband's paella was rather bland but acceptable but the fact that I can't remember what I ate says something. The place was totally full and there was a nice vibe in the house, partly due to the great music. I would return but would ask that my food be properly spiced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A restaurant full of Too's!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014A restaurant full of Too's! Too crowded! Too many patrons at one time with other patrons knocking into me every time they moved or stood up. Too many waiters un-trainned, and bumping into me as they tried to navigate arond tables. Too many items fallen. Too noisey! Food was average, not exciting, and was served cold. We did not stay for desert because our reservation effort, became too much to enjoy. Music was very good! Ambeience was very dated, a late 1960 stark white with plastic stacking chairs! Just not what I had expected. Sorry, but I would not reccommend or return to this restaurant.
- Ugh...foodie1970Dined on 2/15/2014Open Table made it very easy to find a restaurant and book a table close to our after dinner plans. When we arrived for our reservation the hostesses (2) didn't welcome us or smile. One just asked, "Do you have a reservation?" I promptly said, "Yes, I made the reservation through Open Table and provided them with our name. Still no smile or "Welcome to Toma". We requested a different table from the one she wanted to seat us, which seemed to annoy her. From there the server and service was very slow. Food was bland and not what we were expecting for Tapas/small plate food dining experience. We sat for quite a while with empty glasses during the whole 'process'. We would not bother to eat at Toma again.
- Worth a tryJEM2nprDined on 2/14/2014We spent Valentine's Day evening at the this very nicely decorated restaurant (they had a single red rose on each table) and had a fine meal and enjoyable time. If there is one negative, it was the food came out too quickly.Special Features:
- Sangria, Tapas & Entrees areLANY2Dined on 1/28/2014Sangria, Tapas & Entrees are flavorful and delicious. Table service needs improvement. Great downtown location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years EveSavannahSueDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I went here for NYE celebration Dinner and Flamingo dance show, food was great, show very energetic with great music and dance. My husband is handicap and in an electric scooter, they paid particular attention to his special needs and the owners personally took care of him, this made him feel very welcome and not troublesome. Perfect evening. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like it, but...wyzburroDined on 12/24/2013I was really looking forward to eating here because the owners are from the region of Spain from which my family comes from. I suppose my first hint should have been that there was only one other table with anyone seated when we came in. The hostess seemed rather nonplussed about our presence, and the server got our order wrong a couple of times. We were also served some items too fast, others too slowly. Food was either overcooked, bland, or not what was expected. (Crema Catalan was too thick, Filete Salteado looked and tasted more like a wok-cooked dish, cochinillo overcooked.) Appetizers and Sangria was good, as was the bread (but they only gave us one piece per person with no refill.) Not a horrible experience but I won't return.
- Great pre show dinnerRickDined on 12/13/2013Headed to the Straz for a show. A great restaurant within walking distance. Work the tapas menu and have as much or as little as you want. Wash it down with a lovely sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Before "Book of Mormon"TampaHawkDined on 11/23/2013We were celebrating my birthday and wanted to try some place new before going to the STRAZ to see "Book of Mormon." Spain was a good choice, however our server wasn't attentive at all and we had to rush our dinner in order to get to the show on time. Guess I can't give an objective review based on our experience that night.Special Features:
- Quiet downtown Tampa GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2013Loved this quiet little gem. Tapas wonderful. Music perfect. Sangria excellent. Frequent flyer to SPAIN.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but ...jgramlingDined on 11/19/2013The food was very good and the menu had a number of items that we wanted to try. Unfortunately, the server, even though very nice, was inattentive. The salad came without the dressing and I had to ask twice for butter. It took a very long time to be served. even though the restaurant was not at all crowded. The wine list had a nice variety, but the red wine was served much too warm. I would have had a second glass but the waitress said all of the reds were the same temperature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedgr8aDined on 11/12/2013The all white atmosphere was too stark to give a cozy feel. My seafood casserole was delicious, more rolls would have been a nice touch to mop up the wonderful sauce. I could've asked for more, but I didn't. My husband's calamari was frozen rather than fresh, and the chorizo was bland. The sangria was pretty much tasteless too. I will say, though, our waitress was very attentive. We'll not be going back.
- Truly Spanish cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/29/2013Most of the items on the menu are unique to truly Spanish cuisine as opposed to many others dining spots in Tampa that offer more Cuban oriented dishes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2013Add some decor to the place! Very bland atmosphere. Food was pretty good, music was wonderful and service was ok. Was recommended by a friend, but probably wouldn't refer anyone else. Had better Tapas elswhere.Special Features:
- Lovely restaurant!drbillDined on 8/23/2013We went to this restaurant as a first date and it was absolutely lovely! It was romantic with the Flamenco guitarist playing in the background and the food was delicious! The ambiance was delightful and comfortable for a nice dinner. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!TampapeopleDined on 8/17/2013The Spain is a bit tucked away on Tampa St., but don't miss it. The food and drinks are terrific! The kitchen is a bit slow, but as long as you are not in a rush, you won't mind because the drinks and the service make up for it. If you go when they have live music, you will never want to leave. Order anything on the menu, because it's all good!Special Features:
- Not amazing, but averageOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2013We went here for the first time based on a referral. Someone's perception of how great a place is is relevant to that person. Although we were not disappointed, we were not impressed. It wasn't horrible by any means. We are just used to more upscale places. Im sure it would be better during their Flamenco shows. They did start some live music as we were finishing up and that would be a plus for sure. I will leave this one as 'you have to experience it for yourself, so if you thought of going, at least go once to make your own evaluation'
- Probably my fault!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/27/2013Planned a night w/ friend to catch up. Wrong choice. You sit at long tables with strangers. Heard more of their conversation than ours. Waiter had to nudge around us to serve others. Would never have selected this place based on that alone. There were two or three private tables but we were ushered to the communal table and made to sit across from one another to fill the table. Felt like we were at school. To restricted and tight quarters. They did have live entertainment but we were so uncomfortable we opted to miss it. I looked on the website before booking but perhaps I was more interested I. The menu than details about seating and simply missed that.Special Features:
- Quiet dinnerBeckyDined on 6/27/2013My husband and I went there on a Thursday evening. It was quiet and relaxed. The staff friendly and accomadating. We enjoyed out drinks and the tapas. The sampler of four was enough for both of us but maybe not for most, as we each small meals generally. Overall, we would go back again when we are in the area. They are supposed to have live music on some nights, maybe we will try it again on the weekend for some entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unimportant GuestsHelloDined on 6/19/2013I took my student so that she could try a different cultural food. The waiter made us feel unimportant and like annoyances. We had questions about the food and the proportions and instead of answering questions, he would just walk away and leave us to figure it out. Overall, it was not a good experience for my mentee, and I was very sad to have taken her there. When we received our food, it was not what we expected nor how the waiter (reluctantly and sparingly) explained it to us. The food was ok, but it wasn't warm and the portions were too large. We had originally wanted the appetizers, but were told they were "way too small" and encouraged to get the huge proportions. Food too high and service terrible. Better @ McDonalds
- Good tapasSouthTampaNewbieVIPDined on 6/15/2013The food was made fresh and there was a nice variety of tapas to choose from. There were some entrees on the menu, but we like being able to try several dishes with the tapas. The atmosphere was quiet and you are actually able to talk and hear your fellow diners. It is definitely not a boisterous atmosphere. There was an excellent guitar player performing that evening. There was a $1 charge per person added to our bill for the live entertainment. It seemed odd, but well worth it. Definitely worth a try if you like tapas and a quiet atmosphere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodMarcoDined on 6/6/2013Really enjoyed having dinner there, food was very good and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything perfect good choice.....siquiatraDined on 5/4/2013first time visit, great experience, food good, service perfect,we will repeat ,,,,,,,best paella everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When we arrived, the hostFoodieDined on 4/27/2013When we arrived, the host was great, friendly and accommodating. Service to our table stopped when we told the server we were not eating, only drinking a pitcher of Sangria and watching the flamenco show. After 40 minutes without our server coming to our table, we finally decided to order the churizo dessert. It was the smallest portion I have ever seen and the dipping sauce was ice cold instead of hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.