48475 HWY 550 North
Durango, CO 81301Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://sowseardurango.com/
- Phone: 9702473527
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: George Mehaffie
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Wedding receptions, company parties, family reunions, rehearsal dinners, birthday's, anniversaries. The Sows Ear is available for all type of private functions with the chefs creating personalized menus for you in a variety of price ranges. Renting the whole restaurant or just reserving a large table, your party will be delighted with the spectacular views, delectable food and excellent service!
- Private Party Contact: George Mehaffie 970 2473527
A word from Sow's Ear
Sow's Ear Restaurant, established in 1986, is located in the Silverpick Lodge, one mile south of Durango Mountain Resort. Set amongst the beautiful San Juan mountains, the Sow's Ear is the longest running restaurant in the area with a new owner and head chef George Mehaffie taking over in May 2008 bringing new ideas and fresh seasonal menus to the restaurant, while continuing the tradition of "the best steaks on the mountain". Come up and see us and enjoy a unique mountain dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Sow's Ear - Best Restaurants in Durango ›
Sow's Ear reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (20)special occasion (18)romantic (11)fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (11)notable wine list (5)good for groups (5)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Steakhouse in Mountain Resort.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Lovely mountain view restaurant in a resort. Good mountain food. Heavy in the meat but well prepared. Desserts need help. Homemade chocolate chip cookies didn't taste homemade. Terrific mountain view but go for early dinner or you won't see it! Half way between Durango and Silverton. Minimal signage so you have to be really looking for this place or you will miss it entirely. Directions in literature are for those coming from Silverton. About a 40 minute drive.Special Features:
- Mountain DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Sow's Ear Restaurant, with it's beautiful view of the West Needles and nestled in huge aspen groves, has the most wonderful, delicious, beautifully presented food in the area. Our dinner this last Friday night was no exception. My filet was tender and juicy and cooked absolutely perfectly. The garlic mash potatoes and sauteed kale were very tasty accompaniments. The extensive wine list provided the perfect bottle for our dinner.Special Features:
- GoGoDined on 8/29/2014A must visit for Durango. Food is consistently good .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's not to like?3SistersDined on 8/24/2014This was not my first time at Sow's Ear but it was the best by far. Previously, my experiences had been marred by poor service and good but not superior meals. Not so this time. From the moment we walked in the door we were treated graciously and promptly by our excellent server. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The Elk is one of the best meals I have ever tasted. If you are in or near Durango, this is not to be missed.Special Features:
- Hidden GemQueenoneDined on 8/20/2014We travel to Durango several times a year and we never skip eating here. The food and service never disappoint. It is also wonderful that they always have several options from their small plates offering. This time we ordered quail and fish. It was all excellent. The view iand food is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining & kids loved it tooLosttexansVIPDined on 8/10/2014After a few nights of family meals in Durango, we were looking for a step up. Sow's Ear came highly recommended by the folks we rented from, and it really delivered. From the moment you step in, you are captivated by terrific views of the mountains out the large windows on 3 sides of the restaurant. We enjoyed the fresh baked bread, and then the Ahi tuna special and the gorgonzola salad as starters. Kids menu offered everything from chicken tenders to filet, and our kids cleaned their plated. I had a delicious salmon entrée with corn polenta. My wife had the small plate salmon with a delicious risotto. We were delighted with the whole experience. We would definitely return on future visits to Durango.Special Features:
- Well, you ARE in Durango!PrimetimeVIPDined on 8/8/2014Less than a mile from the "not quite Telluride, nowhere near Vail" ski area called Durango Mountain Resort is this delightful gem of a restaurant. Dine at Purgy's in the Resort and you get a $22 burger and drink that requires a thirty minute wait, NO follow up (never ask for ketsup!), and non existent service. The mountain staff is made up of youngsters who would MUCH rather be on a dirt bike or a pair of skis, and the resulting service reflects that clearly. So how in the world Sow's Ear - drawing from the same labor pool - pulls off the presentation of elegance, attentiveness, and great food (and wine) is a mystery. Great job, George, you are marvelous, keep it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUSTGOTOSOWSEARDINERDUDEDined on 8/6/2014Our third visit to Sow's Ear and it gets better with each visit. The menu is varied enough not to be the same things every visit. Best martini in Durango and very good wine selections. Top notch restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant on the hill.BobGDined on 8/3/2014Outstanding.................................., as usual..............................................................Special Features:
- Wonderful Steaktandt25thDined on 7/29/2014Great service,fantastic view. Everything we wanted away from crowds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will return, again and againMountainLocalDined on 7/26/2014We have been going to the Sow's Ear for years and it gets better every year. We were there with friends Saturday night and booked our reservations for a group to return Thursday night. Looking forward to going again says it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!Hamilton2014Dined on 7/19/2014We discovered this amazing restaurant a few years ago and we have been several times since and have never been disappointed...in fact it just gets better every time we go. The steak is to die for, service is always pleasant, the mountain views are amazing, very romantic, and the homemade chocolate chip cookie is always a great finish to a wonderful meal. I would recommend Sow's Ear to anyone in question. You have to try it for yourself to understand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant on the hill.BobGDined on 7/19/2014Sow's Ear combines good food, ambience, good service (almost always), wonderful host, Chrissy. Our favorite restaurant near Durango Mt Resort.Special Features:
- PevishDined on 7/12/2014Whether visiting the Durango area or if you are a local celebrating a special occasion, dining at the Sow's Ear is a memorable evening that will bring you back again and again. The waitstaff is very attentive and the food preparation impecible. There will be something on the menu for everyone to enjoy. The Sow's Ear is located in the middle of the San Juan Moutains so the scenery is breath taking. Though the Sow's Ear can seat quite a few people, I would recommend a reservation.Special Features:
- Food Decent But Service LacklustersfdinerVIPDined on 7/7/2014The food here was not bad and the view quite nice. But the servers were just not well trained and committed a couple of my service "pet peeves." When will owner/managers teach their young employees that the answer to "thank you" is not "no problem" but instead "you're welcome" or "my pleasure"? We were treated to a string of 30 or so "no problems" in a row. And when will servers be taught that it's impolite to remove one diner's plate while another is still eating? Sure enough I was asked "can I get this out of your way?" when we weren't both finished. Am I being too harsh on a casual vacation destination restaurant? I don't think so. Service training and service etiquette is pretty easy to teach if anyone cares enough to do so.
- The following 84 reviews are from the Sow's Ear reviews archive.
- Another great dinnerSueBVIPDined on 6/6/2014We eat here every time we are in town. I love the small plates so I have room for appetizers and dessert. This last time we had appetizer of salami crisp with fondue. It melted in the mouth. We both had small plate of salmon which was delicious. Nice wine listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Sow's EarOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014Every time we visit our home in the mountains we make it a point to eat at the Sow's Ear. It is one of our favorite eating places in Durango and highly recommend it for those of you visiting Durango for the first time. Keep up the great work George!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Good!DenverVIPDined on 5/25/2014We visit this restaurant every time we are in Durango. Food is consistently good, staff are super friendly and they have a great reasonably priced wine list. Views are amazing!Special Features:
- Night OutHappyDined on 3/6/2014Perfect for a night out in the mountains! Food & atmosphere were fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScenicPurgatoryLindaDined on 3/5/2014We spent 4 glorious days skiing in Purgatory and had dinner at this charming restaurant on our last evening. The view is extraordinary!!! We had a table surrounded by windows to the snowy mountains and were never aware of anyone else around us. Our friend ordered the calamari appetizer and my husband ordered the roasted beet salad. The 4 of us shared both plates and weren't disappointed. The entrees and desserts were equally delightful. Loved our final dinner in this lovely spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/25/2014A little bit off the beaten path but well worth the drive. A classy little gem with a touch of rustic elegance. The food was upscale, delicious, wonderfully prepared, and nicely presented. The menu offers a spectrum of beef, fish, pork, and elk with size offerings for the lighter appetites. Staff was very friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love sows ear!MarthaDined on 2/20/2014Sows ear is the perfect place for a nice dinner. Food is always amazing and service is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner!RoamingTexansDined on 2/18/2014We had the filet mignon which was absolutely amazing! The view of teh mountains nearby added to the dining experience as the sun set behind us. Cannot wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We live several miles fromOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We live several miles from Durango and my wife and I try once a month to go to Durango for a nice meal. Sows Ear is an extra thirty minutes from down town Durango but was well worth the time. The beef cuts are amazing as well as the sauces were very well prepared. We enjoyed the meal and the service was very good. Entrees came out at the right time and the staff never rushed us even for a busy Friday night. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, bar service...mehOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014We had a room and a reservation for dinner for Valentine's day, and the menu was delicious. We were seated next to friends of ours, and they had just received their drinks as we were placing our order. Our friend had a blue cheese stuffed olive in his martini, which is my husband's favorite, so he asked for the same. We were told the bartender "no longer wanted to make those, too busy", and we were refused. (strange, since it had been merely 2 minutes since our friend had been served) We thought that an odd way to cultivate a good customer service experience. The meal itself was good, the waitress was friendly and apologetic. I though that the bartender's inability to be acomodationg was an uncomfortable position to put her in.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant on the Mountain!DenverVIPDined on 2/7/2014Not to be missed if you are staying on the mountain. Steaks are perfectly prepared and much care goes into the side dishes. Great views.Special Features:
- The food was good. The wineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/4/2014The food was good. The wine list was good but every bottle we ordered they were out. They did give us an expense bottle for a lesser charge. They charged us to stuff 4 olives with blue chesse Not sure why. We had some questionable charges on our ticket but overall the food was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best on tthe mountainBobGDined on 2/1/2014Thanks to the careful attention of manager, Chrissy, the Sow's Ear is THE place to go near Durango Mountain Resort. We go every time we're here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mountainside & Great FoodnordicaVIPDined on 1/30/2014Sow's Ear has terrific elk and the calamari app is well prepared and crispy. Enjoy well prepared steaks in a rustic mountain setting, good job to the chef and owners in keeping quality up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/28/2014Had dinner with another couple at the end of a ski trip to Purgatory. Wonderful atmosphere, very good food and service. We highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Worth the drive up from Durango!durangogalDined on 1/25/2014We had a wonderful evening at the Sow's Ear. The menu was interesting and the service good. We loved the 'small plate' option. As vegetarians, we chose roasted beet and chèvre salad followed by the ravioli entree. The fig and shallot white sauce on the raviolis was delightful. I would encourage the Sow's Ear to offer more meatless options on their menu. Our friends had the small plate tenderloin and were delighted to find the meat was perfectly cooked and each bite delicious. New York cheesecake with blueberries followed. By the time we were ready to leave, the restaurant was packed. Everyone seemed to be having a great time. The atmosphere is lively as it appears there were several large groups there from the ski area. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night outMomsnightoutDined on 1/18/2014Tasty steaks and sides. Great for a special night out but a little pricey for just a regular dinner.Will come again for sure when we come again to ski!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Excellent Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 1/6/2014Food, service and ambience were all great. We skied in the afternoon so that we could stop there for dinner. We had reservations for 5 pm but got there at 4:30 and expected to have to wait at the bar. However, Chrissy seated us at a table right away and attended to our orders without making us wait until 5, when the restaurant actually opens. We had the calamari appetizer based on an OpenTable review, and it was the best we've had anywhere. I had the baby spinach salad recommended by Chrissy, and again it was the best. I had the ribeye, a thick portion done to perfection, and my husband had the special, sea bass with crispy skin. It was fabulous, very tender meat and the crispy skin added wonderful texture. We enjoyed dining there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Sow's EarOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/5/2014The dinner and wine was amazing and the soup (sweet and sour) was the best I've ever had! I love this place and highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our special Family birthdaybrianDined on 12/29/2013Our special Family birthday dinner at the end of December..hoping for a great dining experience with our sons…but it was VERY noisy…food was fine, not great, but overpriced and overall not impressed. We did like the fact that all the food is local.
- No Personal ServiceRandyDined on 12/26/2013I made our reservation and had indicated we had just got married and this was our first dinner and was hoping for a nice quiet table. When we arrived, no one acknowledged us as a married couple, never once mentioned anything. In addition, it took 1 hr & 15 mins to get our food. It's like they didn't even care about acknowledging us for our marriage or that the food was late. They cited a 17 member table that caused our food to be late. It was very disappointing.
- Great Ambiance, Friendly StaffTeleMarkRDined on 12/24/2013Calamari appetizer was cooked to perfection, and was delicious. Beet salad and mixed greens were bountiful. Steak was very flavorful and cooked right. Wines by the glass were excellent choices. Only complaint would be that the Kale was a bit salty. Staff was very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place on the mtnDgomelDined on 12/14/2013Great food great service... Anytime we head over the mtn to silverton we try to time it to eat at sow's! Worth it everytimeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect every time!localDined on 10/4/2013Sow's Ear has never disappointed. Great food, great service. My longtime personal favorite is the Filet au Poive.Special Features:
- okOkOkDined on 9/29/2013We have been there many many times over the years and this was the worst experience we have had. Waited twenty minutes for our table and service was lacking. Out of several items we wanted and the food lacked. The flavor was just ok tasted this time more like a Omaha Steak.Special Features: