696 Unionville Road
Kennett Square, PA 19348Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sovanabistro.com/
- Phone: (610) 444-5600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Nick Farrell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sovana Bistro is the area's best option for catering. We offer everything from start to finish gourmet meals, office and corporate luncheons, boxed lunches and equisite "to go" desserts. Please inquire within.
- Special Events: Sovana Bistro specializes in making all of your celebrations memorable , whether its a wine dinner, small luncheon, birthday party or corporate function. We can provide off-site catering or in-house dining options. Please contact Abby to discuss planning your next event.
A word from Sovana Bistro
Sovana Bistro has been a staple in the Unionville community since opening in 1998 and has evolved into a highly regarded dining destination. The menu is made up of two sections - our well known "staples" and our always changing "taste of the season". The kitchen creates simple hand-made food, inspired from many areas of the world and seeks to source ingredients that are available in their appropriate season.Continued
The service reflects a gracious approach to hospitality and genuine concern for each and every guest's experience.
The service reflects a gracious approach to hospitality and genuine concern for each and every guest's experience.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sovana Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
207 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (150)neighborhood gem (114)special occasion (85)great for lunch (65)great for outdoor dining (61)notable wine list (55)romantic (46)hot spot (38)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (21)great for brunch (12)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Special treat!JoyboyDined on 11/15/2014First time to the Brandywine Valley and had asked for suggestions from several people at the wineries we visited and the Sovano Bistro was included each time. What a great find, and a special treat! The cocktails we had were both creative and delicious! I liked the fact that they were using seasonal ingredients in the menu. The butternut squash tortellini was to die for and it was also offered as a smaller plate which suited me fine. We could not have chosen a better way to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MySonTheFoodieDined on 11/14/2014It's the place of choice when I eat with my son. Only downsides are that it's a little pricey, and we eat too much. We order multiple courses since one menu choice is more exciting than the next, and can't make up our minds; we're never disppointed with either the taste or presentation. The service is impecable, but not in a stuffy way. The staff is friendly, they know the menu and even when busy (every seat is filled), they take time so you never feel rushed. The menu is changing, again, so we'll be back soon.Special Features:
- KevinDined on 11/14/2014Had lunch here for the first time. Previously had great dinners. Quick Lunch was great and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fine dining in the areaDJK1VIPDined on 11/8/2014Trout - excellent. Burrata - could have been more creamy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I tried not to...MarciaCQDined on 11/7/2014I tried not to order the braised lamb shank pita and the broccoli rabe, but I just couldn't stop myself! I had it about a month ago, too, when I lunched at Sovana, so one would think I'd try something else, but that combination is so spot on, I had to order it again! My husband oredered it, too, and agreed nothing could be better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 11/7/2014Absolutely love Sovana Bistro. The interior is such a surprise from the typical strip store restaurant. It is eclectic, but comfortable. I have never had a bad lunch. Love that the menu changes as often as it does. Local, fresh - all good. Always enjoy myself.Special Features:
- Worth the driveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/6/2014We enjoyed everything about our recent lunch at Sovana Bistro. The fresh foods, delicious recipes, and appetizing presentation coupled with friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive service made for a delightful afternoon. My friend had never been to the restaurant, and she left planning when she would return with her husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and good serviceFuzzWuzzVIPDined on 11/6/2014A quiet lunch with wonderful food, nice ambiance and good service made for a good time.Special Features:
- sundaymarparDined on 11/2/2014we went on a sunday night. the place was buzzing.great food selection.had chose of small or large plate for most entrees. very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOO NOISY!!GibbyMDined on 10/29/2014Tons of clattering... Restaurant half full yet noise level incredibly loud. Big consideration when dining with certain friends.Special Features:
- Good as alwaysSmokinJVHDined on 10/26/2014Never disappoints! Very steady and consistent. Very rarely do we find something that we don't care for. House-made Burrata was killer! Nicole's service was very good, especially when dealing with my 8 year old food critic and 15 year old birthday girl. Look forward to returning, as always.Special Features:
- excellent as alwaysdiabia4Dined on 10/25/2014everything was perfect, as usual. the food was excellently crafted & our waiter, JR, was awesome. wonderful flavors, perfect timing, beautiful ambiance, and excellent service. five stars.Special Features:
- GuysniteoutDined on 10/25/2014Our salad was not the freshest lettuce and the beef burger with blue cheese was really bland. Liked the ambiance it the lights are too bright, right in your eyes when trying to dine.Special Features:
- Great dinner! Great experience!Foodie2Dined on 10/24/2014Start to finish, everything was great! We had the apple salad and tuna tartare for appetizers, pan seared chicken and the swordfish special for the main course and the butterscotch liquid center cake for dessert. We would order it all again in a heartbeat! The Sazerac, wine and ice wine were also very good. Service was professional and very attentive without being obtrusive.Special Features:
- BasolinabasolinaDined on 10/24/2014Food was good. Service was chirpy and proficient with good advice. Food - portions far. It was good though. Price ok - more expensive than some.Special Features:
- Excellent food, InnovativeDecArtDined on 10/23/2014This restaurant is a real find. We visit it every time we visit Winterthur, which is several times per year. Their menu is excellent, with innovative choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm & friendly atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Excellent food and cozy dining room. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- SRossDined on 10/22/2014I was very disappointed that I did not get the seating I requested, My friends and I are older and have trouble hearing so I requested the back room. On arrival I was told it was booked. I do think I could have been told that when they called to confirm my reservation. I don't think I'll go back soon. Way too noisy for us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We're going back!DinnerwithfriendsDined on 10/18/2014It was our first time at Sovana and we were not disappointed. The menu is full of wonderful choices including great seasonal additions. It was very busy but we were not rushed at all. the waiter was excellent. I want to go back soon to try some other seasonal dishes before they change!Special Features:
- Unique and Delicioussam4michelleVIPDined on 10/18/2014Excellent mixes of fresh and/or local meats, veggies and herbs. Knowledgeable and helpful staff. Beef palliard with greek salad; suckling pick with kimchi. Great big flavor, perfect prep. YUM.Special Features:
- Never disappointsAnnieBVIPDined on 10/15/2014Sovana's menu is always interesting, and this fall the seasonal selections are quite enticing. This time, chef helped me convince a friend, celebrating her 61st birthday, that Brussels sprouts are actually pretty darned delicious when cooked properly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, but outdoor yellow jacketsMarciaCQDined on 10/14/2014Food and service were excellent, but a warm day brought yellow jackets to our outdoor table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLaakDined on 10/11/2014Excellent meal at Sovana Bistro. Interesting specials that took advantage of seasonal and local produce. Great service.Special Features:
- ExcellentLTCluvsWineDined on 10/11/2014Third time there and can't wait to go again. Food is excellent, decor is cool, staff alway friendly and competent. The only bad thing about this place is that it's not closer to my house!! I love the cool old fashion drinks made like they are supposed to be. We all had the ' Sidecar' and it was delicious. Wine list is great but if you want to bring your own they have a small corking fee. Which I really appreciated when we brought a bottle of Veuve Cliquot. But the food is the best part and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Mouth Watering DelicaciesNoraDined on 10/11/2014My friend and I ordered the Express Lunch which is awesome. For $15 you get a small sandwich, bowl of soup, small salad, and dessert. All were unbelievably mouth watering and delicious. We ordered a cheese platter for an appetizer to share. The cheese was so special. One had aged for 22 years! It was served with honeycomb and splecial jam, and a walnut bread. YUM! Lunch was topped off with a blondie brownie that came with the Express lunch. We were very full and majorly satisfied!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014Food was very good, especially the appetizers. Wine list was just rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- b2stevensDined on 10/10/2014Came to Sovana on a recommendation and was not disappointed. The food was very good...homemade pasta was delicious and the wild boar sauce was as well! The service was better than expected. Great evening...great foodSpecial Features:
- BethbasolinaDined on 10/10/2014Love, love,love! Can not say it enough! The best lunch specials!!!Special Features:
- Not ImpressedJennyvDined on 10/9/2014Menu limited, noisey, waitress too busy. Entree tasty but, common. Expected more for the price.Special Features:
- Fabulous as usuallgdg71VIPDined on 10/4/2014One of my favorite things about this place is the great drinks that they come up with. I had one of the seasonal ones and it was yummy. The food was wonderful and they are always on point with a great wine recommendation to go with the entree. It's one of my favorite places to eat and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- cwellbrnDined on 10/4/2014We used the "Open Table" forum to make our reservations; worked like a charm. There was one table for two open at 5:15 ,,, we walked in at 5:11 and sat right down. We had a very nice Merlot off the wine list that hit the spot. The Pan-seared Chicken served over a bed of pureed mashed potatoes with mushrooms in a marsala sauce was moist and flavorful with every bite. My sister, a very harsh critic of most dining establishments, walked out singing the praises of her meal - the Fresh Trout served with a cauliflower/apple compote. We finished off the meal with their delightful coffee served that was served with a crunchy cranberry biscotti. The wait staff was quietly attentive. We loved our waitress, Jess; so nice, so informed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spotFoodie73VIPDined on 10/4/2014We love Sovana, always seasonable menu items with an amazing drink and wine list. We went for lunch and had the tuna tartare, which is very well prepared and delicious with their housemade chips! The Reuben and burger that we had were phenomenal, but the menu choices were so good it was hard to decide. A great place to go for a more upscale but still casual atmosphere dining experience!Special Features:
- Overrated?SharkpenguinredpandaDined on 10/3/2014It's...fine? The veal entree is really interesting and composed, but the rest of our choices (fettuccini special, burrata, short-rib starter) were nice enough, but nothing special. A nice place, but possibly not living up to the hype.Special Features:
- Fantastic ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Our waiter, Phil, was knowledgeable, friendly, and all-around superb. Look forward to returning! Food was excellent.Special Features:
- A favorite!PaulDined on 9/18/2014Great food, knowledgable and friendly staff! The heaters were on in the patio and it was very pleasant out there!Special Features:
- Delightful LunchKImperialeVIPDined on 9/17/2014Lovely atmosphere and very good food. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaleVIPDined on 9/16/2014As always some dishes were outstanding. Others mediocreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShadowDined on 9/13/2014Have been to Sovano Bistro regularly since it opened. We always love the food...adn they were one of th epioneers of the seasonal and locally sourced food movement. Presentation and taste are always top notch. It is consistently good and yet surprises with seasonal menu changes and daily specials. Service is always very good too. We love to dine outside (covered and heat lamps so most of the year this is an oprion) where it is quieter...and the restaurant has always managed to honor that request. Love the byob option (and great list also).Special Features:
- bysigVIPDined on 9/12/2014Perhaps the food was not good because they were serving during restaurant week. All I can say is that we ordered off of the restaurant week menu. The lasagne was not seasoned well and vegetables in it were overcooked and mushy. The beef dish was not good at all. We left very disappointed. The only thing we enjoyed was the dessert (creme brullee)
- Outstanding in Chester CountyFoodie55VIPDined on 9/11/2014Truly a great dining experience. Have lived in the area for 22 yrs & eaten at Sovana from time to time. It has only gotten better over the yrs. Food quality, presentation, service & wine list are all superb! Thanks for a great meal. We really enjoyed "restaurant week"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.