696 Unionville Road
Kennett Square, PA 19348Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sovanabistro.com/
- Phone: 6104445600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Nick Farrell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sovana Bistro is the area's best option for catering. We offer everything from start to finish gourmet meals, office and corporate luncheons, boxed lunches and equisite "to go" desserts. Please inquire within.
- Special Events: Sovana Bistro specializes in making all of your celebrations memorable , whether its a wine dinner, small luncheon, birthday party or corporate function. We can provide off-site catering or in-house dining options. Please contact Abby to discuss planning your next event.
A word from Sovana Bistro
Sovana Bistro has been a staple in the Unionville community since opening in 1998 and has evolved into a highly regarded dining destination. The menu is made up of two sections - our well known "staples" and our always changing "taste of the season". The kitchen creates simple hand-made food, inspired from many areas of the world and seeks to source ingredients that are available in their appropriate season.Continued
The service reflects a gracious approach to hospitality and genuine concern for each and every guest's experience.
The service reflects a gracious approach to hospitality and genuine concern for each and every guest's experience.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sovana Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (157)neighborhood gem (120)special occasion (89)great for outdoor dining (84)great for lunch (65)notable wine list (63)romantic (55)hot spot (38)good for groups (36)vibrant bar scene (23)great for brunch (13)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- We're going back!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014It was our first time at Sovana and we were not disappointed. The menu is full of wonderful choices including great seasonal additions. It was very busy but we were not rushed at all. the waiter was excellent. I want to go back soon to try some other seasonal dishes before they change!Special Features:
- Unique and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/18/2014Excellent mixes of fresh and/or local meats, veggies and herbs. Knowledgeable and helpful staff. Beef palliard with greek salad; suckling pick with kimchi. Great big flavor, perfect prep. YUM.Special Features:
- Never disappointsAnnieBVIPDined on 10/15/2014Sovana's menu is always interesting, and this fall the seasonal selections are quite enticing. This time, chef helped me convince a friend, celebrating her 61st birthday, that Brussels sprouts are actually pretty darned delicious when cooked properly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, but outdoor yellow jacketsMarciaCQDined on 10/14/2014Food and service were excellent, but a warm day brought yellow jackets to our outdoor table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealLaakDined on 10/11/2014Excellent meal at Sovana Bistro. Interesting specials that took advantage of seasonal and local produce. Great service.Special Features:
- ExcellentLTCluvsWineDined on 10/11/2014Third time there and can't wait to go again. Food is excellent, decor is cool, staff alway friendly and competent. The only bad thing about this place is that it's not closer to my house!! I love the cool old fashion drinks made like they are supposed to be. We all had the ' Sidecar' and it was delicious. Wine list is great but if you want to bring your own they have a small corking fee. Which I really appreciated when we brought a bottle of Veuve Cliquot. But the food is the best part and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Mouth Watering DelicaciesNoraDined on 10/11/2014My friend and I ordered the Express Lunch which is awesome. For $15 you get a small sandwich, bowl of soup, small salad, and dessert. All were unbelievably mouth watering and delicious. We ordered a cheese platter for an appetizer to share. The cheese was so special. One had aged for 22 years! It was served with honeycomb and splecial jam, and a walnut bread. YUM! Lunch was topped off with a blondie brownie that came with the Express lunch. We were very full and majorly satisfied!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014Food was very good, especially the appetizers. Wine list was just rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- b2stevensDined on 10/10/2014Came to Sovana on a recommendation and was not disappointed. The food was very good...homemade pasta was delicious and the wild boar sauce was as well! The service was better than expected. Great evening...great foodSpecial Features:
- BethbasolinaDined on 10/10/2014Love, love,love! Can not say it enough! The best lunch specials!!!Special Features:
- Not ImpressedJennyvDined on 10/9/2014Menu limited, noisey, waitress too busy. Entree tasty but, common. Expected more for the price.Special Features:
- Fabulous as usuallgdg71VIPDined on 10/4/2014One of my favorite things about this place is the great drinks that they come up with. I had one of the seasonal ones and it was yummy. The food was wonderful and they are always on point with a great wine recommendation to go with the entree. It's one of my favorite places to eat and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- cwellbrnDined on 10/4/2014We used the "Open Table" forum to make our reservations; worked like a charm. There was one table for two open at 5:15 ,,, we walked in at 5:11 and sat right down. We had a very nice Merlot off the wine list that hit the spot. The Pan-seared Chicken served over a bed of pureed mashed potatoes with mushrooms in a marsala sauce was moist and flavorful with every bite. My sister, a very harsh critic of most dining establishments, walked out singing the praises of her meal - the Fresh Trout served with a cauliflower/apple compote. We finished off the meal with their delightful coffee served that was served with a crunchy cranberry biscotti. The wait staff was quietly attentive. We loved our waitress, Jess; so nice, so informed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local spotFoodie73VIPDined on 10/4/2014We love Sovana, always seasonable menu items with an amazing drink and wine list. We went for lunch and had the tuna tartare, which is very well prepared and delicious with their housemade chips! The Reuben and burger that we had were phenomenal, but the menu choices were so good it was hard to decide. A great place to go for a more upscale but still casual atmosphere dining experience!Special Features:
- Overrated?SharkpenguinredpandaDined on 10/3/2014It's...fine? The veal entree is really interesting and composed, but the rest of our choices (fettuccini special, burrata, short-rib starter) were nice enough, but nothing special. A nice place, but possibly not living up to the hype.Special Features:
- Fantastic ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Our waiter, Phil, was knowledgeable, friendly, and all-around superb. Look forward to returning! Food was excellent.Special Features:
- A favorite!PaulDined on 9/18/2014Great food, knowledgable and friendly staff! The heaters were on in the patio and it was very pleasant out there!Special Features:
- Delightful LunchKImperialeVIPDined on 9/17/2014Lovely atmosphere and very good food. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaleVIPDined on 9/16/2014As always some dishes were outstanding. Others mediocreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShadowDined on 9/13/2014Have been to Sovano Bistro regularly since it opened. We always love the food...adn they were one of th epioneers of the seasonal and locally sourced food movement. Presentation and taste are always top notch. It is consistently good and yet surprises with seasonal menu changes and daily specials. Service is always very good too. We love to dine outside (covered and heat lamps so most of the year this is an oprion) where it is quieter...and the restaurant has always managed to honor that request. Love the byob option (and great list also).Special Features:
- bysigVIPDined on 9/12/2014Perhaps the food was not good because they were serving during restaurant week. All I can say is that we ordered off of the restaurant week menu. The lasagne was not seasoned well and vegetables in it were overcooked and mushy. The beef dish was not good at all. We left very disappointed. The only thing we enjoyed was the dessert (creme brullee)
- Outstanding in Chester CountyFoodie55VIPDined on 9/11/2014Truly a great dining experience. Have lived in the area for 22 yrs & eaten at Sovana from time to time. It has only gotten better over the yrs. Food quality, presentation, service & wine list are all superb! Thanks for a great meal. We really enjoyed "restaurant week"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good neighborhood optionPoppaSmurfVIPDined on 9/11/2014Really good food. Excellent suggestions throughout the $40 price fix menu. Why four stars? 1. The table was ridiculously small. I wise-cracked about it to the hostess, who left us where she put us. With a reservation, we were at the very back of the restaurant, across from the kitchen. Probably not the worst table in the place, but not by much. 2. The chef sent out a tasting which contains mushrooms. My wife is deathly allergic to mushrooms - no way for them to know, and it is Kennett Square - but might have asked before putting the plates on the table. Would dine here again, except 45 minutes from the house. Will save it for when I've run out of other ideas.Special Features:
- MarieDined on 9/10/2014We always have a great experience whenever we dine at Sovano Bistro's. The food is excellent no matter what you order. I recommend this restaurant highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delivers value & great tastePhilly123VIPDined on 9/10/2014Sovana is a favorite. The menu changes and is always interesting. Staff always knowledgeable and courteous but not overly friendly, just very professional. Food is outstanding.Special Features:
- Recommended - - did not disappoint!SupernannaDined on 9/7/2014First time visitors. Very pleased with the quality of food and the service. Would gladly return for another visit as well as recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DottyJVIPDined on 9/7/2014The food was outstanding. The noise level was deafening.Special Features:
- Nice placeKennettSquareResidentDined on 9/6/2014I really like the setting and the overall ambiance. It's elegant, yet casual. Service and food are really good. Dessert, however, was quite a disappointment. Too sweet. The three of us all had the same, and none of us could finish it.Special Features:
- 3 hits; one strikeout75pctgoodDined on 9/5/2014Four of us, - enjoyed drinks and dinners with one exception. the pork special was very small. At $26 it left a bad taste. Menu while tasty is pricey. Save for special occasions .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealSarraDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I went to Sovana Bistro to celebrate our 28th anniversary of meeting prior to falling in love and marrying. As part of the submission through OpenTable I indicated this and aside from the meal being wonderful as it always is, the (excellent and well trained as always) staff went above and beyond to make our meal special. Our desserts even came to the table with a lit candle and one was compliments of the house. It was a special night.Special Features:
- National Account ManagerbasolinaDined on 9/5/2014Lunch special is always excellent!!! Food was perfectly cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the Trip...SerialDinersDined on 9/2/2014Innovative menu, reasonable prices (especially Fixed Prix offering) and good ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TimandDonnaDined on 8/31/2014Good food, wait staff a little young, patrons sit too close. Hard to have a private conversation. Took forever to get entree but waitress gave us free drinks without any comment from us. We figure this was unusual. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the very bestbarbieDined on 8/31/2014Sovana is innovative and outstanding. Clearly the best restaurant. I haven't found one better worldwide. Sovana should be noted in all of the travel periodicals.Special Features:
- Not writing anymoreSteveWCDined on 8/31/2014I am out of the free review business. I found I lost all my points because I hadn't used your service in a year. You are damn near impossible to contact.Special Features:
- too loudMImisaysooolalafiaDined on 8/30/2014WE have enjoyed the Bistro many times but Saturday night in the room to the right of the entrance was way too loud and very unpleasant. And for the first time, I found the food to be mediocre. I had the clam bake pizza and it was just fair. Too salty and nothing special. The Bistro has always been special. The calamari were over fried and hard. My companions had the chicken which was dry and the small game bird special, which happily, he said was terrific. Not rushing back to the Bistro soon. Lunch may be the way to go. Wondering if the usual chef had the weekend off? Making some sort of adjustment to soften the noise level would be welcome.
- jimboyDined on 8/30/2014Tables are too close together for reasonable conversation with your party due to the noise level on a very busy night. It would be difficult to have a romantic experience with the above mentioned situation. However, that will not interfere with my return.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Once again we had a great meal at Sovana. We requested to sit outside and despite being late, they had maintained our table with no problems. The server was very good at explaining the specials and drinks with just the right amount of detail. The food was fantastic, especially the seasonal options.Special Features:
- Awesomeartist2Dined on 8/30/2014Wonderful as always. Asked for a window table out of the way and got just what we wanted. Our waiter came right over and brought water. We asked for lemon which he forgot twice but the busboy brought it right over. Everything else was perfect. The Heirloom tomato bisque was out of this world and the arctic char was prepared perfectly. I have only good things to say about our experience and I'd go back I an instant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely outside patioLauraVIPDined on 8/29/2014It was a lovely day, so my friend and I ate o the patio. We had a delicious lunch; the salads eere perfect (beet and house) and we had pizzas. I had the clambake which was innovative and tasty. My friend had the broccoli which she really enjoyed. Dessert was a mixed bag. I had the blueberry pie; the filling was delicious and tart but the crust was bland, and the creme fraiche and oatmeal ice cream accompaniments were also bland. It might have been better with a tart sorbet or a thinner crust. My friend loved her goat cheese cheesecake. The service was excellent as alwaysI would recommend this to a friend.