696 Unionville Road
Kennett Square, PA 19348Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sovanabistro.com/
- Phone: 6104445600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Nick Farrell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sovana Bistro is the area's best option for catering. We offer everything from start to finish gourmet meals, office and corporate luncheons, boxed lunches and equisite "to go" desserts. Please inquire within.
- Special Events: Sovana Bistro specializes in making all of your celebrations memorable , whether its a wine dinner, small luncheon, birthday party or corporate function. We can provide off-site catering or in-house dining options. Please contact Abby to discuss planning your next event.
A word from Sovana Bistro
Sovana Bistro has been a staple in the Unionville community since opening in 1998 and has evolved into a highly regarded dining destination. The menu is made up of two sections - our well known "staples" and our always changing "taste of the season". The kitchen creates simple hand-made food, inspired from many areas of the world and seeks to source ingredients that are available in their appropriate season.Continued
The service reflects a gracious approach to hospitality and genuine concern for each and every guest's experience.
The service reflects a gracious approach to hospitality and genuine concern for each and every guest's experience.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Sovana Bistro - Best Restaurants in Kennett Square ›
Sovana Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (147)neighborhood gem (118)special occasion (100)great for outdoor dining (80)great for lunch (65)romantic (61)notable wine list (57)good for groups (34)hot spot (34)vibrant bar scene (25)great for brunch (15)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Always a wonderful choice!IgiveupDined on 8/16/2014Our party of three chose to dine on the side patio which was quiet and lovely. Service was excellent, the luncheon menu was (as always) filled with wonderful suggestions, and the choices we made were superb - delicious, beautifully presented, excellent portion size. Sovana has been a favorite of ours for many years, and they continue to be top notch!Special Features:
- Always goodJoyousDined on 8/15/2014We love Sovana Bistro and try to get there once or twice a year. The food is always outstanding and they always accommodate my gluten free dietary restrictions. They had a fabulous gluten free dessert also. Now just hope they get a GF pizza crust and GF bread! We love that it's a BYOB but The only negative thing is their $8.00 corkage fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!BetsyDined on 8/14/2014The hostess was wonderfully accommodating when our group was larger than originally planned. Our server was knowledgeable and very helpful. We had a very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/13/2014Our favorite restaurant...... best food in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellant food.thegreatestdadDined on 8/9/2014The food was delicious and your "Nutrageous" ice cream is the bestSpecial Features:
- Seasonal TouchesRprjr1211VIPDined on 8/8/2014Celebrated our 15th anniversary here while staying in the area. Had a wonderful dinner full of seasonal flavors - chilled cantaloupe soup and summer fettuccine. Our server was attentive and helpful.Special Features:
- Always love this placeMvv63Dined on 8/8/2014Come here often and never disappointed. Everything is inventive, from cocktails to dessert, food is beyond good....fresh ingredients, amazingly well prepared. love it.. Service is always extremely professional yet friendly and often entertaining as well. Just can't say enough about this restaurant!!Special Features:
- Always goodWestChesterDinerVIPDined on 8/8/2014We always enjoy our meals at Sovana. Had the Margherita pizza to share, good but a tad underdone. The special panzanella salad was just ok, it was small for the price and we didn't care for the Parmesan butter that was on it. Our guest enjoyed his apple salad. The suckling pig entree was excellent, I enjoyed the eggplant and kimchi that came with it more than the pork. The others in our party had the Spanish mackerel and liked it very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Next time, we'll probably choose to be seated outside due to the noise level inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rudyDined on 7/31/2014went on a thursday evening and it was bustling. good wine and excellent food. very noisy, however; could use some acoustic re-engineering. highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentgem57Dined on 7/31/2014We went with friends to celebrate a milestone. Food was outstanding and the service attentive. The creme brûlée was the best we've had anywhere. A bit expensive, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local foodSnoopyDined on 7/29/2014The food is very good and uses lovcal farm produce. Interesting combination of flavors. The lunch express special is a great bargain.Special Features:
- Excellent!ElizabethVIPDined on 7/26/2014Sovana Bistro's food and service are consistently good. I've been there for lunch and dinner many times and never have been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great food but.....luvgoodfoodVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food was excellent as usual but the noise level was a little too energetic for us. The service was a little slower than usual but they were crazy busy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FUNinNaplesFLDined on 7/25/2014The service was wonderful. The food was very good.Special Features:
- Michael GallagherMFGeeDined on 7/25/2014Simply spectacular service ... and ALL the food was a close second!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well DoneislandcrkVIPDined on 7/22/2014This meal was our 6th or 7th time here and we were not disappointed. Well worth the drive from the Main Line to experience fresh, creative, farm to table food that is consistently outstanding. Great wine list with fair mark up.Special Features:
- Great foodJessVIPDined on 7/22/2014Food was delicious. Wine list was good, you can BYOB for an $8 corkage fee (score!). Definitely a leisurely meal, but a good pace. Everything we ate was amazing. I can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal we can rememberAandNDined on 7/22/2014This was a perfect storm of food, service, and surprises/tastings. As our first visit, we were expecting it to be good, but were not expecting it to be so enjoyable. The staff was friendly, attentive, and helpful without being intrusive. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and look forward to spending another special occasion at Sovana Bistro.Special Features:
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/22/2014Service slow as expected, but food was just bad. Pasta entree went back to the kitchen and returned worse. Fish special had little meat and was in an extremely salty sauce. Like this place, but not sure will return anytime soon.
- A Gem in the CountryZManVIPDined on 7/22/2014First time here and will definitely return. Unique very interesting menu. Had a meatball pizza for an appetizer.....outstanding! Entree was a pulled sucking pig, with a side of eggplant and kimchee...........a real taste treat. Dessert was a hot butterscotch filled cake with vanilla ice cream......excellent! Service was great, very accommodating. Highly reccomemd this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try Sovana Bistro..You will love itBobBDined on 7/20/2014I have always had a great experience at Sovana Bistro. The food is excellent! It is our go to restaurant. We try many others but keep coming back to Sovana Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing experiencespreadtheblameDined on 7/20/2014we have had a few wonderful experiences here, so it was surprising that we found our meal less than enjoyable. High point was the salad. My wifes' pizza with meatballs was shockingly overdone and tasteless. She chose the pizza because the menu itself was less than creative, with not enough choices. My chicken was flavorless and accompaning vegetables quite sparse. Pizza was sent back once and returned w/o what was suppose to be Italian Roasted Peppers, which were really nothing more than green peppers thrown over the pizza. Returned pizza was the same overcooked one w/o the peppers. Waiter seemed annoyed with the return process and was less than attentive the entire meal. Will think hard before returning here.
- Excellent!chelsea74Dined on 7/20/2014This is a keeper. Our meals were delicious, everything from service to food to atmosphere was just a pleasure. Highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014Outstanding food. Varied and interesting menu with seasonal additions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too BadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014tables are too close and poorly laid out. service was horrible which ruined very good food.
- FoodloverVIPDined on 7/19/2014Lamb ribs and Brussels sprouts were perfect. Our server Andrew was charming and efficient. We will be backSpecial Features:
- Very niceFrmthesouthDined on 7/13/2014This was our first time at this resturant. It was very cute and the food was very good. Our only issue was that the service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An off experiencekittykatDined on 7/10/2014Having eaten numerous times at Sovana Bistro, I knew that the entree we had chosen was not up to the chef's usual standard. Appetizers and desserts were perfectly fine. When i called attention to the disappointing entree, apologies were profuse and drinks were discounted from our bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip!IgiveupDined on 7/10/2014Probably dined at Sovana 30 or more times over the past 10 years. We love it!!! Menu choices are copious; preparation and presentation is great, and consuming all of it is heavenly!!! We have never never never been disappointed whether at lunch or dinner. Only possible criticism is ambient level (difficult to control with the architecture) - and it merely serves as proof that all diners are having a wonderful time! Anxious (already yet!) for next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our first visitGoodVIPDined on 7/9/2014I don't know why it took us so long to visit this restaurant, but it did live up to it's hype! We liked the food, vibe, and atmosphere. we plan to go back this week with friends. Our waiter was nice, not too pushy about time and ordering. Definitely a like. Good neighborhood place (if the neighborhood is horse farms and fields).Special Features:
- perfect meal for the second timeHavertownDinersDined on 7/5/2014We came here the night we got engaged and again for our one year anniversary. We came back hoping the food would be as good as it was the first time. About 18 months later the food was equally delicious. We are the type to order half the menu and not a single dish disappointed. Broccoli soup was our favorite. Also love the calamari, (not too heavy, great sauce,) the tuna tartar, the spaghetti dish with seafood. You can't go wrong. You can easily spend $150+ for two, or just as easily get away under $75. Service is awesome and the patio is charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything fresh and deliciousKrispie8Dined on 7/4/2014The restaurant is located in a beautiful area just north of Kennett Square. Food was excellent. Everything was very fresh and well prepared. Very creative menu selections. We especially enjoyed the" in season" selections. Delicious desserts. Our table was outside on the side patio. Lovely decor, perfect for a garden setting. The waitstaff was excellent, very accommodating and pleasant we will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatnicknameDined on 7/3/2014Have been many times before. Came for our 10th anniversary and power was out (summer storm about 40 minutes prior to arrival). Whole place was buzzing! Chefs with headlamps and candles all around, great service, great attitude by staff handling power outage, food excellent as always. Cheese selection was delightful as were the snails.Special Features:
- Always a hit.peggymDined on 6/29/2014Two of our party had the prix fixe menu and all three choices were high quality. I particularly liked the tuna tartare, perfect for a summer evening. Our waiter was friendly but not intrusive. Enjoyed it as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemDfromDelawareVIPDined on 6/28/2014Even crowded on a beautiful Saturday evening in the summer and I can see why - everything was perfect from the food - the service the wine - the atmosphere I could go on - if you live in the Hockessin Pike Creek area and you would like a change of scenery as far as your dining options and you do not want to drive to Philadelphia - TRY THIS - they have a great menu with options for everyone to enjoySpecial Features:
- Not what it used to be!DelawareDinerDined on 6/28/2014We've been to Sovana Bistro for several special occasions and always came away thinking "Wow - that was phenomenal." Not this time. The service used to be informed and polite without being overbearing. Our waitress forgot three different items (drinks, appetizer, dessert.) It was a barely 15% tip night. The menu seems to have changed with fewer unique offerings. The sides served with several entrees were bland - in taste and appearance. There was no WOW factor to the food at all. In previous visits, we were anxious to share plates and excited with our choices. This time, the only comment was that the food was fine. I don't want "fine" for a $250.00 meal. I'm in search of a new BYOB for our next special occasion.
- last minute whimjustvisitingDined on 6/27/2014Had a last minute whim to head up to Sovana. Got a table via the app and were seated within five minutes of arrival at a table right next to the door. Turns out it was the "chef's table", which had a couple of glasses of champagne along with the meal. Nice touch! Had the seasonal octopus and lamb appetizer along with the pesce fra diavalo pizza. All was excellent! Service was attentive, but not intrusive. Topped off with a cheese plate and pound cake for dessert. Could not have had a better night out on a moment's notice. We come to Sovana a few times a year and have always been impressed with the food, service and atmosphere. Our favorite!Special Features:
- Great meal!DinerDined on 6/27/2014Had a great meal on a recent Friday night. Beau at the bar gave great service and made some delicious drinks! Jenn, our server, knew when we needed her and was right there. Two guests had the pizza, I had the fish special, and one guest had the pasta. Everything was delicious. Would definitely recommend this restaurant, but get a reservation. Busy place!Special Features:
- love it every timeLunchnWineVIPDined on 6/26/2014Sovana is our go to place for lunch. Nice covered patio. Great by the glass wine list. Excellent food and service. Appreciate the seasonal section of the menu - nice to see new items. Loved the fried green tomato and duck prosciutto on a pita.Special Features: