1320 Huffman Park Drive
Anchorage, AK 99515Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://southsidebistro.com/
- Phone: 9073480088
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Travis Haugen
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Southside Bistro
We are a great neighborhood secret on the south end of town. We offer a variety of fresh fun food from our open display kitchen. We have a hardwood oven for great appetizers and flatbreads. Fresh Alaskan seafood and produce arrives daily and Chef Travis creates great innovative daily specials. Save room for our fantastic home-made desserts. We are proud recipients of the "Wine Spectators" Award of excellence 10 years in a row. Southside Bistro offers the "Restaurant" side with the complete dinner menu available, and the more casual "Bistro" side with an additional Pizza-burger menu available. Please go to our web site and see our complete menu selections.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Southside Bistro - Best Restaurants in Anchorage ›
Southside Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (61)fit for foodies (48)special occasion (47)notable wine list (43)great for lunch (25)good for groups (24)romantic (21)hot spot (12)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- SouthsidetuckDined on 9/28/2014Great as always! We love coming to the fall harvest event.Special Features:
- Fall specialJdinakDined on 9/28/2014They have a special day on Sunday in the fall they do a Fall Harvest featuring local Alaska produce & food. Sells out fast so sign up for their email list so you know when it is. Awesome 5 course dinner they serve.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Food was delicious but nobody even filled our water until we had been seated for 10 minutes. And our server didn't acknowledge us for another 10 even after passing our table several times...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special night outAKRocksDined on 9/18/2014Southside Bistro has a very relaxed feel, pleasant and efficient staff who take care of you, and always a buzz of clientele obviously enjoying the set menu and specials, with a glass of wine from the varied wine list. For a special night out it's one of my Anchorage favorites, recommended!Special Features:
- Good FoodAKCMHTDined on 9/17/2014The food was good, not as great as in the past. It is a nice spot for a social lunch, service was great but not quick. I will be back to try it agian.Special Features:
- Special dinner for a special nightAkdinerDined on 9/13/2014The service and food is always great and Saturday night was no exception. I had the veal medallions. The flavors were wonderful. My husband enjoyed the pork schnitzel. He asked if I could fix that sometime. Unlike a lot of the newer places in town the noise level did not impede conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty good placeDatenightDined on 9/11/20141st time there in a long time we will go back. Nice quiet place and great atmosphere. Resturant got us a booth like I requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatNotForUsDined on 9/10/2014Another great meal at Southside. This is a great place to catch a casual lunch or a more formal dinner. Great atmosphere and outstanding food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite get awayGearDined on 9/5/2014Our favorite get away 5 minutes from home! Food is usually creative and healthy with accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodmangiaakVIPDined on 9/2/2014My husband and I often enjoy Southside Bistro. The ambience is mellow and the food and service always consistent. It is out of the hustle of downtown and parking is never a problem. We often have visitors from out of town and this is our go-to place for ourselves and our visitors.Special Features:
- August 29th DateDnERDined on 8/29/2014Excellent. I cannot say enough good things about the food/service and sophisticated but still casual atmosphere, but something else stood out. Dining out, a social event, is a relaxing and enjoyable occasion until the noise level begins to compete with our efforts to have a conversation. Excessive noise levels became issues at two other, otherwise excellent Anchorage-area (one was in Eagle River). Having a conversation was too much work. For hearing impaired, or even like my father-in-law, who wears hearing aids, it's a showstopper. Thanks for all the work involved in producing a wonderful meal and your collective contribution to a wonderful evening of conversation for me. See you next time!Special Features:
- The South has another Winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Southside Bistro is a great restaurant with outstanding food for South Anchorage. The service is very friendly and attentive. Dessert was very good, but not as exciting as the entrees. We highly recommend the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great evening at SS BistroquietravelerDined on 8/19/2014We've been eating at Southside Bistro since it opened and it never disappoints. Met a friend for dinner and had yet another outstanding meal with professional service. I had fresh silver salmon while my friend had the rack of lamb, both of which we shared. Both entrees were excellent as were the glasses of wine we ordered. Thanks to SS Bistro for maintaining such a high standard of excellence for many years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usual!danandpamDined on 8/15/2014We are regulars at Southside Bistro but we took some out of town friends there to celebrate a birthday and they loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Menu and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Southside Bistro has become the favorite of residents of South Anchorage and in the process is one of a few reliable and high quality restaurants in Alaska. If you have lived in Anchorage long, you will always see some friends and neighbors in adjacent stalls. Most of our table chose the fresh king salmon, which is hard to beat during the summer. It is always beautifully prepared. The wine list is impeccable with mostly west coast favorites. Southside also enjoys consistent high quality service from friends who have been here many, many years. They know the people and have engaging conversation without dominating, one of the remarkable attributes of a fine restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014W really enjoy going to the Southside Bistro. The food is usually excellent, pasta and fish properly cooked. Pleasant friendly atmosphere. Usually quite busy.Special Features:
- Whittier shrimpfoodee2Dined on 8/5/2014This appetizer is delicious but it is very messy and I recommend having either little towelettes or hot towels or something to clean up with afterwards.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014We always find the food and service excellent. I would not use the term "notable wine list" when sending others. Add some French and Italian Reds and one or two German whites (by the glass...no DUI's needed and we have individual tastes), and we might add that recommendation. In fact, if you had a full bar or some good imported wines, our friends and family would probably up our trips to Southside Bistro. It's hard to keep the noise level down but that would help, too. Yes Bistro came up with a good seating arrangement that allows people to talk to each other; rather than listen to the tables next to them. With that said, "Thank you for the great service and excellent food on this latest outing to your Bistro."
- Enjoyable but priceygdfdinanchDined on 7/29/2014Enjoyed dining there, easy to make reservations. I felt it was pricey so will not frequent the restaurant often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014My husband and I have been to Southside Bistro on several occassions and have never been disappointed in the food or the service. It is a place I readily recommend to others. The atmosphere is great and it is quiet compared to many other resturants. It is nice to be able to have a conversation while dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerBobV34Dined on 7/12/2014We had a wonderful dinner and the service was great. The side stripe shrimp were out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak sent backBanjowalshDined on 7/1/2014So everyone else's meal was good, my steak was under cooked, I had asked for medium well, same as my girlfriend, we had different steaks, but she got hers as she asked for it, mine by comparison was undercooked, it was rare, so I sent back. It came back the exact same way and by the time it came back again(3 times in all), I had waited so long and everyone else was finished eating, I just refused it as I had got tired of waiting.Special Features:
- Are they going to change the menu?FoxyVIPDined on 6/27/2014For those of us who have been longtime patrons of this neighborhood restaurant, we are tired of the same old thing - heavy cork menus, few choices of daily specials. That's why, after going there almost weekly for many years, we rarely dine there anymore. But it's always crowded, many people must be perfectly happy with the oh-so predictable fare.
- Great placeVinceDined on 6/21/2014Best meal I had in Anchorage. The food preperation and presentation was unique and outstanding. My salmon was cooked just right and had a wonderful taste.Special Features:
- Southside Bistro is fine diningAnchorage2travelerVIPDined on 6/20/2014Southside Bistro is always a pleasure. The food is excellent and the servers are efficient and pleasant even though they are clearly very busy. The Chèvre salad is delicious and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal; excellent serviceHelenSaysDined on 6/20/2014We were visiting relatives in Anchorage and wanted to take them someplace nice as a thank you for their hospitality. We remembered a fabulous dinner at Southside Bistro several years ago and decided to see if we could get a reservation. Fortunately they had a table close to the time requested. Everyone really enjoyed their dinner. We all had something different, and each dish was something special. One diner from another country was not familiar with things on the menu. Our waiter actually took the time to talk to her and construct a special dish based on her limited experience with American food. What a great evening.Special Features:
- Consistently excellent!ANCgalDined on 6/20/2014Southside Bistro is very close to our home and one of our favorite restaurants. Jens is a quintessential professional who doesn't hesitate to roll up his sleeves to work alongside his staff in literally any role. The food is reliably excellent and the wine list is impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine food great serviceAlaskanapetiteDined on 6/20/2014I really enjoy southside bistro. The staff has has always been friendly and accommodating. Food has always been top shelf and fresh. Nice atmosphere. I also really appreciate the dual atmospheres they offer. Casual and bar on one side and a more romantic upscale environment on the other side. A great choice for dining. Bravo Southside! A real treasureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent venue for midweek lunchRobertDined on 6/18/2014Delicious food. Light and fresh using local seasonal ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a tour bus stopScheliciousDined on 6/14/2014I love the restaurants downtown, but in the summer, sometimes I just don't feel like walking a gauntlet of tourists to my eventual table. My friend & I had lunch here mid June-it was bustling but not ridiculous. I had the special-pistachio crusted king salmon with saffron cream over rice with veggies. My friend had the curried chicken salad with walnuts & currants, served over greens. We absolutely loved our meals! A bit out of my way, but definitely going back to try more lunch :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- King Salmon overdoneAlaskan40Dined on 6/11/2014We typically have great food at the Southside Bistro. This week, however, was the first disappointment. The fresh King Salmon was overdone. A diner is sometimes in the position as we were torn between sending back the dish for a replacement versus not wishing to waste food especially for a prime meal such as fresh King Salmon. We chose the latter not wishing to waste food. A complimentary desert was offered but did not make up for missing prime Alaskan seafood simply cooked properly so it is still moist and flaky which our fish was not. The service as always was impeccable - sincere and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasureYummyVIPDined on 6/11/2014Southside Bistro has been one of my favorite restaurants for years. They never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurebannifDined on 6/11/2014The Southside Bistro experience is always enjoyable. The food, service, and ambience are first rate. Well worth a trip from downtown.Special Features:
- Great food and fabulous serviceEatsleepfishAK907Dined on 6/11/2014For our first southside bistro visit, it was a wonderful new find for us in anchorage. A great wine and dine experience! We will definitely keep this place on our favorites list and brag/tell our friends and family to try this anchorage hidden gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experiencehappydinerDined on 6/7/2014My husband had the pork, I had the lamb, and both were done perfectly. The pork was fork tender. The lamb had a pesto sauce that complimented the meat wonderfully. We'd shared the caprese appetizer, which was accompanied by a flavorful tapenade - very tasty! My water glass was kept full. Our waiter was attentive. Our wine was very good. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceFoodieDined on 6/6/2014The scallop appetizers were fantastic!! We dipper the bread in the sauce and savored the flavor!!! Our server was excellent and very attentive, and informative. Our guests had the rib eye steaks and said they were excellent.Special Features:
- The following 407 reviews are from the Southside Bistro reviews archive.
- highly recommend SoSide Bistrodiningdiva1Dined on 5/30/2014From the moment we walked in we were treated like special people. We had trouble finding the restaurant and were late for our reservation time and nobody was upset. The food was especially good, served quickly and our waitstaff member was very professional and cheerful. What a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW foodFoodEnthusiastVIPDined on 5/28/2014This place had excellent reviews so that is why we made a reservation while visiting Anchorage. When we parked outside I was a little doubtful because it is a regular strip mall and you cannot see into the restaurant. When we walked in though the hostess was very pleasant and we were seated promptly after checking in with our reservation. Our waiter was excellent, gave good recommendations and the food was simply WOW! Don't miss this gemSpecial Features:
- Our Go To Special Meal outDMGAKVIPDined on 5/23/2014Southside Bistro is consistently outstanding; food, service, innovation We love it ! Downtown quality without downtown prices.Special Features:
- Great Food at Southside VistroDebLeeDined on 5/22/2014Great food, great service, and an all-around good time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.