Southport and Irving
4000 - 4006 North Southport Avenue
Chicago, IL 60613Neighborhood:
Lakeview / East Lakeview
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Southport and Irving
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southportandirving.com/
- Phone: 773-857-2890x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday and Sunday: 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Monday - Thursday: 5-10 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 5-11 p.m.
Sunday: 5-9 p.m.
Late Night Lounge Menu:
10 p.m.-midnight daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you’re planning a corporate meeting, anniversary dinner, engagement reception, bridal shower, Bar/Bat Mitzvah, a graduation celebration or a birthday party, our experienced event specialists will help you create and execute a memorable event.
SIP accommodates groups of 30-90 for a private seated dinner and groups of 30-120 for a cocktail reception in the main dining room. We can accommodate groups 40 for a seated dinner and 60 for a cocktail reception in our bar, which is fitted with four HDTVs, is fully AV capable and has its own entrance and private bar. SIP accommodates groups of 15-30 for semi-private functions in both the dining room and bar.
We would be pleased to customize your food and beverage packages and coordinate added amenities such as theme décor, specialty cakes, flowers, linens, live music, DJs, karaoke and children’s entertainment.
- Private Party Contact: Ardit Dizdari 8889241997
- Entertainment: Free live jazz 8-11 p.m. Fridays
- Special Events: Visit southportandirving.com for information on special events
A word from Southport and Irving
Southport & Irving (SIP) features globally-inspired American cuisine paired with handcrafted cocktails, craft beers and an international wine list. Our menus are seasonally-driven and change frequently to capture the best of the season. The beer list is also seasonally-minded, with a well-chosen selection of craft beers from local and national craft brewers. Ardit Dizdari, SIP’s beverage director, offers a lineup of handcrafted cocktails peppered with classics, modern mainstays and seasonal selections. We offer an international wine list highlighting smaller vineyards and boutique producers, with nearly two dozen by the glass choices.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Southport and Irving - Best Restaurants in Lakeview / East Lakeview ›
Southport and Irving reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (24)neighborhood gem (21)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (16)fit for foodies (11)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (10)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great brunch spotChytownDined on 8/24/2014We were celebrating quite a few things between the right if us and had a great time. The server even brough out a plate of pancakes and French toast with a bunch of candles at the end for a nice treat. Only complaint is the room is pretty loud. With 8 of us at te table, I had trouble conversing with those at the other end. Other than that, the food was great. Skip the SIP bloody and go for the bottomless. My friends all got the SIP but the guy next to me wound up sipping mine because the flavor was better. The others didn't seem impressed by the more expensive bloody either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/17/2014If you're looking for a quality weekend brunch without having to wait 45 minutes on a sidewalk (looking at you Bongo Room and Over Easy), Southport and Irving is a good way to go. Their dining room area is really nice, they have a beautiful sidewalk patio along Southport (not a lot of traffic either), and at noon on Sunday, there were several tables available. Service was friendly and casual. I had en eggs benedict with prosciutto and polenta that was very good, and my friend had a chicken & avocado sandwich that he was raving about. Mimosas actually have a fair amount of champagne in them, and you can make them bottomless for $15 if you want. Overall I had a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and Busy .. Brunch are menusGImpRDined on 8/10/2014Not great for Bruch as everything is alacart.. Not really any specials .. Food was good... Very convenient to the nearby theaters
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Brunch was amazing! Lots of space for larger groups (we had 8) and the wait staff was super attentive. We got the bottomless specials (bloody marys, mimosas and bellinis) and we never had an empty glass at the table. Would definitely go again!Special Features:
- Neighborhood spotPickyDined on 7/27/2014This is a lovely neighborhood spot. Really good food, lovely staff, they are just slow on service. I am an extremely demanded diner and I will still continue going here in spite of the weak service. The management and owners are trying to staff up to cope with the demand, the kitchen is doing a fabulous job, some of the best eggs Benedict I have ever had! I just went back with seven friends for brunch because my girls can drink, the bottomless mimisos or bloodies were a big hit. We had such fun and enjoyed our meal we have decided on a monthly meet there.Special Features:
- Best brunchYummerz43Dined on 7/27/2014Best brunch-unlimited mimosas or Bloody Marys, both of which are delightful. Wonderful food for breakfast or lunch and very attentative staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Great food and specialty drinks. Prices and service greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nightmare of an experience!StillLivingInTheCityDined on 7/18/2014My wife & I were planning a night out by attending the Billy Joel concert. So we picked a restaurant that we knew was near to Wrigley. Well, we regret going to SIP now! We had a 5:45 reservation and arrived at 6:05 to give us plenty of time to leave for the concert at 7:40. Well, apparently, it wasn't enough time! There was only 1 bartender. And there appeared to be only 1 server. Obviously, they were not prepared to handle the crowd! It took forever to get our drinks. We got our food order in and waited, waited and waited. Finally our appetizer came at 7:35, but no sign of our main course! Several other tables nearby got up and left and we unfortunately had to do the same. Burger King ended up being a better experience for us!Special Features:
- Good food, bottomless mimosaslaurenrDined on 7/5/2014Brunch food was great. Bottomless mimosas is always great. Although $15 is a bit high compared to other Chicago bottomless places. Service sucked. I had to flag him down to get more water several times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Location. Meh food.dateknightDined on 7/3/2014The wine list is a nice touch but for the price the food is not very good. Meat was dry and the onion rings on top was an odd choice. Partners ravioli was hot but placed on top of cold salad. Pairings are odd and nothing stood out.Special Features:
- Very good food, great price/valueJasonGVIPDined on 6/28/2014Went here with party of 6 (including a 5 year old and 1-year old). Accommodated us very well, kid-friendly (We went on the early side). Cheeseburger, chicken sandwich, scallops, and kids meals all pleased the group. Great drink list (lots of wine by the glass and cocktails), tasty fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the TripJoedebDined on 6/12/2014We went to see an art exhibit at this restaurant and decided to have dinner there. We were delighted with the menu and the food was wonderful. We started with mussels which were good, then, I had an amazing chicken preparation with cabbage, and my husband had the "lamb T-bone". We were impressed with the combination of flavors of both entrees. The art exhibit and the food made this trip very worthwhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family dinnerWorldTravelerDined on 6/7/2014We went to Southport and Irving for a family gathering of 10. The food and service were both good. The crab cakes were excellent and everyone enjoyed their entrees. The biggest issue was that it was extremely loud. We could barely hear each other over the noise. There were several large parties that night, so I don't know if that was the issue, but it did detract from our enjoyment.
- GOOD BRUNCH SPOTerniebooVIPDined on 6/7/2014Great for brunch. Classic brunch staples on menu. Nice open space. The staff is very attentive and the music is upbeat. Try the assortment of jams and spreads..so tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wrigleyville GemAdda40VIPDined on 5/31/2014The old Deleece space has been reborn in an excellent way. Southport and Irving should be your dining destination if you like you like outstanding gastropub fare in a very comfortable environment. The menu which offers starters, entrees, and sandwiches, features some creative options in terms of the preparation and food choices. I recommend both the creative meat entrees and the veggie sides.Special Features:
- Nice brunchBrettDined on 5/24/2014We got seated quickly. Bottomless mimosas only last for two hours, but we pretty much always had some in our glasses. Food was pretty good. Everything was reasonably prices.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood eatsAllisonVIPDined on 5/23/2014Inexpensive but delicious! Extensive beer and cocktail list in a relaxed environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 150 reviews are from the Southport and Irving reviews archive.
- Overworked server?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014A group of 5 went here for Sunday brunch. The food was great. The bottomless mimosas, however, hit the bottom several times. Our server wasn't the most attentive. I guess we should have known when the manager had to come greet our table after 10 minutes because the server was "having computer issues". I could understand her being slow if it had been really busy, but it didn't look overwhelming to us. But these things happen. Aside from the slow service we all had a great time. It helps to just come with amazing company in the first place;)Special Features:
- Very loudNameeeeeeVIPDined on 5/17/2014We were meeting friends for brunch, the brunch/lunch menu is wonderful. Some bit wit put out tae of 5 between two really large groups, at least 10 in each group. The groups were a family gathering who were of a moderate and acceptable level and a drunken Bridal shower group of badly behaving women who thought they were still at a nightclub. The Server continually apologized and literally begged us to come again... She was great, the food was great but who can trust the seating???? We eat out a lot, we get that large parties are profitable, we also get that they should be placed so as not to disrupt the rest of the restaurant...we won't eat there again....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Went for brunch on Mother's day. Had a reservation and were seated right away. The outdoor seating was nice. Ordered the french toast and thought the the portion was small. Service was just ok. The waitress took our order right away, but didn't really see her again. Had to ask the other waiters for water, silverware, etc. It was a good spot for brunch as it was not crowded and the food came quickly. We walked down Southport after brunch and noticed numerous restaurants with long waits.Special Features:
- Delicious!AshleeDined on 4/23/2014After eating here, I am so surprised that this place was not busier. The food was exceptional. And it is so cute inside. Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was fine.CHICAGODined on 4/17/2014Overall, the restaurant was fine. I'm glad we went to give it a try, but overall everything was just average. If it were convenient for me to get to I would probably go again if I didn't feel like cooking. But to get there I have to get in my car and there are other places I would return to before SIP.Special Features:
- YikesdinerinchiDined on 4/13/2014I have been to this restaurant several times before and the people are getting ruder each time. Not only did they not stick to the reservation but they gave us a table size for 5 when we had 9. When they called the morning of to leave the reservation voice mail it sounded like a threat if we didn't show up on time and within 15 minutes of reservation we would lose the time slot. We were early with entire party but SIP was the one behind and we did not get seated on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotNickkiDined on 4/12/2014If you want a great restaurant with wonderful food,a great wine list and easy-to-find street parking this is the place for you. I almost don't want to talk it because I don' t want to compete for at this little gem. Try it you'll like itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun brunch vibenotasnobVIPDined on 4/6/2014Really fun for brunch. 20 and 30 somethings with or without kids fill the place, so be sure to make a reservation during peak brunch hours. Service can be a bit spotty, but servers are always friendly. They just seem to have too many tables.Special Features:
- Awesome Staff!emilyDined on 4/6/2014We showed up in fancier attire than their typical patrons (special occasion) and due to the full house, they had to give us chairs from outside to sit in. I asked if they didn't mind wiping them down before we sat, to avoid ruining the dresses, and they very politely (and thoroughly) did so. Our reservation was at 12 and had planned to drink bellinis until we were thoroughly tipsy. I noticed that their menu said 2 hour limit for tables when it was peak hours. This was definitely peak hours; however, we kept ordering bellinis (which aren't bottomless so that may have helped) and didn't realize 4 hours came and went! Never did the server try to rush us out of there. Excellent people and very friend staff. I highly recommend for brunch!Special Features:
- Some potentialCweetBeatDined on 3/22/2014The ambience of this place is loungey and chic. I appreciated the beer and cocktails list - nice variety. The food, however, needs a bit of work. Interesting sampling on the menu, but typical bar-style sandwich options didn't seem to fit in with the ambience and the rest of the menu. Mussels were also over-cooked and gritty, with stone-cold stale and days old-tasting toasts provided for dipping. No thank you. Salad special was delicious, dressed well, and appropriately seasonal.Special Features:
- average brunch experienceNadineYVIPDined on 3/22/2014We went here for brunch on Saturday around noon. Easy to snag a reservation that morning, the place was fairly full but a few open tables. an average brunch experience--I'd go back if I was in the area, but wouldn't seek it out. Omelette with veggies was fair, though not very well seasoned. Potatoes were the best part of the plate--a bit crunchy and very flavorful. Coffee was good. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Saturday BrunchAllieDined on 3/8/2014Had a lovely brunch at Southport and Irving with a group of family. Menu had something for everybody and they sat us at a big, comfortable table. Only complaint would be that the music was a big loud for the morning.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed our dinnerJenwomonVIPDined on 3/7/2014We really enjoyed our dinner at Southport & Irving. My partner had a mahi mahi special, with hominy and potato straws. The mahi mahi was flawlessly cooked. I had a pork tenderloin with cheese grits and spinach. Our waitress Mercedes was attentive. I'm always surprised that this place isn't more crowded, because it has very good food. After dinner, we met friends in the bar and worked our way through the cocktail list. Anna is a great bartender, she let my friend taste two different wines to help her choose which glass she wanted.Special Features:
- Horrible HostOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/2/2014This was our first time here & we were excited for brunch. I told the host that we had a 12:15 reservation & without smiling or apologizing, she just says "I cancelled it cause you're 15 minutes late. You should've called, for future if you are ever going to be late call us." She said it in a really rude voice & then says "now you will have to wait 35 minutes." I used to work at a place with OpenTable & we always called the guest with the reservation if they didn't show to confirm their reservation. Our server brought me the wrong beer which was $7 & I told him that's not what I ordered & he took it & brought me the correct beer which was $5 & when we got our bill he still charged me for the more expensive beer.
- Nice but loudFunboy1126Dined on 2/23/2014Southport and Irving (SIP) is a nice place. We got a great table by the window AND a fireplace with our reservation. We never felt rushed. Our waitress didn't push us to order. We got plenty of refills on our unlimited mimossas and bloody marys. The food was delicious. The breakfast potatoes were the best I've ever had, crunchy and seasoned well. On the down side, the noise level is very loud. It reminded me of a bar in that I had to struggle to hear what my companions were saying. And we sat there for a while. Also, water wasn't refilled often enough. Twice I was told they would get me some more and they didn't. But overall, a really nice place. Make a reservation with Open Table though. It's popular and many people waited for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservationshab2004Dined on 2/23/2014I made a reservation through opentable and once there was told that it would be a 40 minute wait and that "sunday was their biggest brunch day." Then was told that it would be pointless to make reservations for this day as they wouldn't be honoring them. We then sat in the "bar" area and waited 20 mins for anyone to even take our order.Special Features:
- Great brunch spot - very loudStephanieDined on 2/15/2014Went there with a few girl friends Saturday morning to catch up. The food was delicious and service was wonderful. Only complaint I had was the music was really loud so everyone in the restaurant was talking louder and it was sometimes hard to hear. Overall, great experience though and I would definitely recommend it to a friend in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to this great spot onOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Went to this great spot on a last minute Valentines Day date. Everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines DayKevinDined on 2/14/2014Everything was very good. I was surprised at how many small children were there, but I can't really ding the venue for that. They have a great list of cocktails and wine, which my wife and I enjoyed, and the food will definitely bring us back for another special occassion!Special Features:
- Went for brunch with old coworkers.ChicoDined on 2/9/2014Went for brunch with old coworkers. Bottomless mimosas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restaurant week disappointmentoystersVIPDined on 2/2/2014i was excited to find a restaurant near my apartment that was participating in restaurant week. BUT they weren't!!! when we arrived, they informed us that they only had a pre-fixe menu the first week. needless to say, we were very disappointed that that wasn't clear on the restaurant week website, while making the reservation or while confirming the reservation. so we ordered from the regular menu. my chicken and avocado sandwich was really good but the sides were another disappointment. the fries were too salty and the brussels sprouts were overcooked; they tasted like they were cooked hours ago and just sat under the warmer. they tried to freshen it up by putting lemon juice on top but it tasted like lemony old brussels sprouts.Special Features:
- Bottomless MimosasKathleenVIPDined on 1/18/2014We were told there were bottomless mimosas at this brunch. Our food was boxed up and taken away from us but we planned to remain there for some time, enjoying the restaurant. Our check was brought to us without our asking for it and when we asked for a mimosa refill, our waitress said they do not give refills once we have the check. The food, service and ambiance were great, but I couldn't help feel that we were being cheated out of more mimosas and fun. They should let their guests know about that stipulation on their "bottomless" brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but strange music choiceLostInChicagoDined on 1/12/2014The food was very good, the service was average. The decor is very nice (exposed brick, original art). However, the music being played was dance/electronic which didn't really feel right given the decor. The music was a also a bit loud (i.e. bar volume in the dining room). The audio doesn't sync with the visual. But, I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.