2170 Mission Street
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southpawbbqsf.com/
- Phone: 4159349300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: M, W-F 5:00pm-11:30pm
Dinner: Sa-Su 3:00pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Max Hussey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: CATERING Southpaw’s delicious food & warm hospitality are a great addition to any office lunch, backyard gathering or wedding. OUR BAR, YOUR PARTY Nothing goes better with BBQ than beer & whiskey. Southpaw can bring our house-brewed beer, extensive whiskey selection and hand-crafted cocktails to any event.
A word from Southpaw BBQ
Southpaw BBQ & Southern Cooking was started by two old friends, Elizabeth Wells and Edward Calhoun. Elizabeth, hailing from Alabama, and Edward, from North Carolina, might have their qualms about where the best BBQ comes from, but one thing they both share is a profound appreciation for time honored Southern cooking traditions, well crafted alcohol and the community that builds around them. Max Hussey, Southpaw’s chef, began his culinary career honing his skills in New Orleans working his way through the kitchen at Emeril’s & Delmonico. Max is right at home at Southpaw, showcasing his experience and love for Southern food, as well as his undeniable sense of hospitality. Southpaw"s food is complemented by an extensive whiskey selection, well-crafted, classic cocktails and quality house brewed beer. Their brewer, Phil Cutti, takes great pride in the creativity and craftsmanship of his beer and the strong contribution brewing brings to the San Francisco community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Southpaw BBQ reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (10)vibrant bar scene (8)special occasion (4)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Great BBQ in the MissionKenHDined on 9/5/2014Small dining room, so be sure to make a reservation, though lots of great whiskeys can help pass the wait time if you don't!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- double check reservation directlyDTigerDined on 8/30/2014The food was great with a variety of traditional BBQ dishes to choose from. We loved our waitress - attentive and friendly. We were able to get a table with a little coaxing, but the host made a point to let us know that while it may be listed on OpenTable, he had no record that a reservation was made. I showed him the confirmation e-mail, but his distaste for OpenTable was clear. If it had been busier or we had arrived a few minutes later, we would not have been seated.
- Good drinks and foodSpbbqDined on 8/23/2014Whiskey flight was well done, pulled pork pretty good, brisket reasonable. Very nice place but prices aren't all that much higher than more casual bbq. The Tennessee style bbq sauce wasn't very good though, and I'm not a huge fan of nc style sauce so was a bit disappointed there. Overall great experience though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun bbqelpfilmsDined on 7/28/2014Fun bbq food. I wish I would have checked out their happy hour for the corn dogs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodJonnyDined on 7/23/2014this is a great spot for cocktails and BBQ. second time back and it is consistently good.
- Best Southern Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014I've been searching for a good BBQ spot in the city for a long time, and no where ever got it right - until Southpaw. Either the food was not great, or the ambience was not right. BBQ should be big portions, lots of flavor, down-to-earth environment and this place accomplishes all that. And don't get me wrong, this place feels cool and southern - great decor, definitely no hole in the wall. A couple nice features - they brew their own ale, they have great whiskey cocktails (not too sweet, not too sour), food portions were large and tasty. Fantastic service - had a vegan with us and she didn't get any attitude. A great place to bring out-of-towners or have a nice night out with friends. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Noisy but niceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014We can't find a place for quiet dining in the city...at least the music wasn't blaring..Good cocktails that came right away...Special Features:
- Great BBQ. Kinda PriceydotesDined on 6/30/2014Expensive BBQ is a bit of an oxymoron but the food was delicious. Brisket was perfectly cooked and the right amount of fat on it. The pork shoulder was moist and very very good. All of the sides were excellent as well. You can pay the same amount for a very nice meal elsewhere in the city, but I doubt you'll get as much food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- second time is a charmPlanetxoxoDined on 6/13/2014consistent and amazing bbq. Always my go to when I have a cravingSpecial Features:
- Birthday DinnerDebbieDined on 5/31/2014Overall the food was excellent.....just a personal thing.....I'm not into sweet greens, but the ribs, huspuppies, fish, warm chips w/blue cheese, peach cobbler and mixed drinks were excellent. The Coleslaw was good also........not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 63 reviews are from the Southpaw BBQ reviews archive.
- serious eats, fun atmosphereogmissionistaDined on 5/17/2014We love this place- close to us, we go a lot! Service is friendly and efficient. Bar has a great whisky selection and the in house craft beer is great! Classic BBQ, presented with a creative flair. You will NOT leave hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mothers Day BrunchSouthpawDined on 5/11/2014Went to Southpaw with my wife and 10 month old. It was not necessarily kid friendly, it is more of a bar. The staff did a great job making us feel comfortable. My wife and baby loved the live band. They made Mother's Day special and I would definitely recommend Southpaw to everyone. The baby tasted most of the food and could not get enough. My wife loved the special brunch menu, cornmeal pancakes, cheese grits, Cornish hen. We plan to go back and try the dinner menu.Special Features:
- Excellent!BabsDined on 5/10/2014A true find, fantastic food and great vibe. Come hungry and be sure to try the dinosaur bone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceTiritiritranDined on 5/10/2014Food was tasty, nothing can go wrong was that amount of fat. My husband had the Dinosaur bone, which was unnecessarily charred. Tasty, but charred. The greens were super tasty, same with the mushrooms, the mac and cheese, and the grits. The cat fish was good. I tried to make a reservation for two for Saturday at 8pm. No reservation was available between 7 and 10pm, but there were empty tables during that time. I will call the venue in the future, instead of relaying on Open Table for reservation.
- Solid ServiceSFCoupleDined on 5/9/2014We have been to South Paw multiple times and are never disappointed. The food is consistently amazing and the service is always attentive. We got in before the dinner rush really hit but as we were leaving it was quite bustling. We had a great meal and would highly recommend to anyone. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delish and ethicalgregtDined on 4/27/2014I went with a friend to dine at Southpaw BBQ. We both have food sensitivities; she to non-organic foods, I to gluten and dairy. Upon arrival we asked the staff a myriad questions to verify whether we could in fact eat there without triggering our sensitivities. The staff were helpful and courteous, but after so many questions the chef came out and sat us down and answered all of our questions about sourcing and ingredients, he had the full recipe book with him. We were blown away by such service and responsiveness to our concerns. We found that the meats come from Neiman Ranch, that the vegetables come from an organic farm (forget which one), and that there is no gluten in the meat rub or sauces either, which means we ate there. Happy.Special Features:
- Bad Service. Worse food.BourbonandboysVIPDined on 4/26/2014Despite having a reaservation and despite most of the tables being empty, we were told we'd have to sit at the crowded bar- the tables were all reserved for parties that were over 10 minutes late. Then the food came and it was deplorable. The fried chicken skin on the deviled eggs looked and and tasted like rawhide dog treats. The BBQ brisket was not properly sliced and served room temp. The ribs were tough. The sauces tasted like nothing you'd ever actually have in the south. Would not recommend.
- Yummy Food and Great Drinks!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014I came to this restaurant looking for some good pork ribs. I ordered the "meat dish plus two sides" to split with a friend. We also ordered the Black Pepper Brie Mac and Cheese and the Golden Beets. The ribs were good, but didn't have as much meat as would have liked, and they only served 4 for us to share. The Brie Mac and Cheese was absolutely to die for. I'm not a fan of beets, but my friend said they were really tasty. To drink I ordered the Safeword, a bourbon based drink. I'm actually not a fan of bourbon but this drink was really good. The food portions were perfect for us, but might not be enough for a couple with a huge appetite. Overall, I was very pleased with the experience and will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Excellent BBQFrankDined on 4/6/2014A great meal. Started with the warm chips (shared plate) then the beef brisket with hushpuppies, grit cake and sweet potatoes. For dessert...peanut butterice cream sundae with carmelized bananas and bacon/caramel sauce. So many flavors...an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roasted MeatsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/2/2014If you like BBQ and whiskey you should dine at Southpaw. Spacious, clean, and charming, this BBQ place has a tasty menu. Meat lovers only!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BBQPlanetxoxoDined on 3/28/2014We had two entree's the Brisket and the Dinosaur bone. and four sides. All amazing BBQSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Everything!lindaliverDined on 3/22/2014Amazing ribs, shrimp and grits, and sides. Plus an unbelievable array of bourbons ryes vodkas and gins AND 2 TV sets showing different games! Love this place right on Mission St.!!Special Features:
- Really nice spot in the MissionKDR11Dined on 3/22/2014Really nice spot in the Mission for BBQ and Bourbon. Nothing revolutionary -- but good food and good drink at a fair price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They don't know BBQFoodiefridayVIPDined on 3/21/2014The meat and beans were way undercooked. Hush puppies were dry and inedible. It was very disappointing meal!Special Features:
- Left as soon as we arrivedAnonymousIVDined on 3/9/2014My wife and I thought it would be a good idea to check out the first "Bluegrass Brunch." We had received information about it through a promotional electronic mail message. When we arrived, the place was unbearably loud; and one of the dishes listed in the electronic mail (the one that interested us the most) was not even being offered. There are too many better alternatives in the MIssion for us to think about returning.
- Great BBQ in San FranciscoDinofelisDined on 3/7/2014Southpaw BBQ has some great eats, I have enjoyed all the food I have tried there. The brisket is amazing, and the dinosaur bone (beef rib) was delicious as well. I highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best bbq in townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014The wait staff was polite and courteous , Even when we wanted to compliment the Chef he came out to our table . I even tipped the Chef. My gf was born and raised in Baton Rouge La. So she knows her bbq and good ribs. The Chef even thanked me by name.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mountains of MeatdietkookDined on 2/22/2014I came here with four friends for dinner. We decided to eat family style. We got the pulled goat, deviled eggs, natchez, and fried pickles for starters. The pulled goat was my favorite dish of the night. I was disappointed by the fried pickles (too much fried, not enough pickle; the pickles weren't crispy). The other two starters were good, nothing stood out as special, but definitely tasty. We ordered the dry rubbed pork ribs and the dinosaur bone for dinner with sides including golden beets, braised greens, mac n cheese, and hopping johns. The beets were amazing. The pork ribs were too dry, especially placed next to the dinosaur bone that had tender meat falling of a gargantuan bone. We all left completely stuffed and had leftovers.Special Features:
- Decent BBQ.IreneSigloDined on 2/14/2014The sides were great. The brisket was great. The pork ribs were a little tough. It got very crowded and noisy and people at the bar kept bumping our table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finger Lickin'...FoodisLoveDined on 2/14/2014Amazing BBQ in an awesome setting. The atmosphere feels like a country barn got reappointed with 5-star flare. Comfort and country meets contemporary southern cuisine. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Varied tastes good pricesEcravengreenVIPDined on 2/13/2014Really enjoyed the sides. Very distinct flavors and wide range of options to compliment the BBQ meats. Prices excellent for good size servings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- San Francisco's version of BBQJeanDined on 1/25/2014The food was good, but it definitely was the weirdest BBQ experience I've ever had. I've lived in the all around the south, and I've never, ever had food like that. Who puts BBQ sauce on collard greens? And Brisket isn't supposed to come in a slab. It should be sliced or chopped. The baked potato was really small. But the Hush Puppies were really good. I guess I'd call it what someone who's never been to a real southern BBQ joint might think BBQ was if they heard it described.Special Features:
- good bbq in the missionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/16/2014Really good find in the misison with good sized protions and prices. Nice bar also ifyou just want to grab a drinklSpecial Features:
- cold but fillingluckyDined on 1/12/2014On a not-to-cold evening we ate with our coats on as it was so cold inside. The BBQ meat was tender and the sides very so-so. Perhaps this venue is more appealing to a younger set, but we over 50 will pass on it next time. As with many SF restaurants, the noise level kept getting louder by the minute. It must work for some, as they have been open for some time I was told.Special Features:
- Never to late to write a reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/5/2014I came here a while ago, and forgot to let you know how fantastic our time was. Thanks for the good time, Southpaw. I look forward to meeting again.Special Features:
- Great BBQevsnmDined on 1/4/2014I had the beef brisket with braised southern greens and hoppin’ john/skippin’ jenny (black-eyed peas with rice). Everything was great. The brisket had three choices: lean, something I didn't understand, and something else I didn't understand (the place is noisy). The waitress told me the middle choice was the best, so I went for it. However, it had too much fat. So I'd recommend the lean. Even so it was still very tasty. The sauce that came with it was good too. Their brewing equipment was broken, so I couldn't have any of their beer that is brewed on site. Instead I had a Headlands double IPA, which I was told was made by the South Paw brewer. It was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinks!YumYumDined on 12/27/2013This was my second time dining here, and SouthPaw delivered once again. They added some new shared plates on the menu, which were a hit in my book. Who can say no to bone marrow? Loved all the sides, especially the greens and fried pickles. Servers were attentive, and the drinks were strong. Will definitely be recommending this place to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No good BBQ in SF? Ridiculous!KenHDined on 12/20/2013Huge portions, excellent tastes! The sides are very good, I especially likes the kale. The brisket was awesome (not too fatty, not too lean) which I preferred to the pork. Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great casual bbq jointbelloDined on 12/12/2013Mix of Southern and bbq, great for groups to grab drinks and light bites. Fun casual atmosphere -- definitely would return with friends again.Special Features:
- Good, but costlyYumYumDined on 12/6/2013Overall I walked away feeling that the food was mediocre for the price. I had the brisket, which was good but I wish it were a little more savory. It came with hush puppies and 2 sides. Hush puppies were a little dry and some of the sides are much better tasting than the others, so choose wisely. You do get large portions which is great. And the table service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.