SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant
154 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.southgaterestaurantnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124845120x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon – Fri – 6.30am – 11.00am
Sat – Sun – 7.00am – 11.30am
All Day Menu:
Mon – Fri – 11.00am – 10.30pm
Sat – Sun – 11.30am – 10.30pm
Sun – Thurs – 11.45am – 12.00am
Fri – Sat – 11.30am – 1.00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Achilles Poliviou
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: The Catering Department 8669431542
A word from SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant
SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant is a casual-upscale bar/restaurant/lounge. The menu features American comfort food, prepared with style, based on classic French technique. SOUTHGATE’s cocktails are also classic, with modern twists, but unpretentious. Its wine lists are curated by wine expert Kevin Zraly, whose selections include a wide range of affordable gems and high end offerings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)special occasion (2)scenic view (1)neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- Nice restaurant, limited menujpljrVIPDined on 10/3/2014We stayed at the adjoining hotel. Restaurant was nice, service was good, menu was very limited, prices for wine / beer and food were very high, even for NYC and adjoined to a luxury hotel. We left hungry.Special Features:
- Terrible experience - Do not goOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/23/2014Took some out of town clients to lunch here. Sat down, waiter came right away to get our drink order. Great! Then it all went downhill. We then waited about 20 minutes for him to come back. Had to look around several times for him to come over. Finally got the good, nothing special. Small portion, left my completely unsatisfied. When we were done, again, had to wait an additional 15 minutes to get someone over and get our plates, and chase him down to finally get the check. What's the worst part, this restaurant was classified as a $$ on OpenTable. Not even close. There was nothing on the menu less than $25. A turkey club, $25. A salad, $25. Keep in mind, would have been fine if I wasn't left starving after my meal.
- Outstanding1stAnniversaryDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I went to South Gate for our first anniversary dinner. We had dinner here previously, on the night we got engaged. The staff went above and beyond in ter service to ensure everything was to our satisfaction. We had never had such extraordinary service, which made the evening that more special and unforgettable. We definitely will be coming back and would definitely recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow !!!! Fantastic new menu...FoodieVIPDined on 7/10/2014Had lunch here recently...and the restaurant has undergone a complete makeover. Cocktails, salads, bar snacks and entrees are all interesting and of outstanding quality. Creativity is in charge here...it is one of the those menus where you would order everything if you could. Service is crisp and the view of Central Park does not hurt. This is a MUST see if you have not been before or have not visited recently. Most definately not your typical hotel restaurant....but a peek inside the elegant and classic JW Essex House just may make you want to stay the night..Special Features:
- Bad timinglionheartkcVIPDined on 7/5/2014We ended up having bad timing, because we arrived on a night when they had converted the restaurant into a big soccer watch party, so the ambiance was not great. That, and the menu did not even remotely match the menu on their website. The food was pretty good, and the Pot Au Creme was delicious.
- Worst people and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/4/2014They have out drinks, one glass has a thick mayo and finger stains. Also, the wait staff didn't get my daughter a high chair. Had to get it myself. And when the waitress saw it she complimented me saying she likes it when guests help themselves. Lazy as$ bit$@.
- The following 631 reviews are from the SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant reviews archive.
- Weekend in NYCMikeVIPDined on 6/22/2014Spending a weekend in NYC and staying at the Essex House, my wife and i enjoyed dining at South Gate. Not since the Jose Garces restaurant in the Renaissance Hotel in Chicago have we so enjoyed dining in a restaurant adjoining a hotel. Service was very friendly and attentive but the food was excellent. We were able to relax and enjoy a view of Central Park South. We dined here twice and both were excellent. I had baby chicken that was marvelous. My wife had the Marghretta Flatbread she she really enjoyed. The wine selection is exceptional. Try it. You will like this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or late night!Special Features:
- UGH!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/16/2014Noisy, limited menu, web site menu not available, mediocre food, loud soccer game groupSpecial Features:
- Great food, great service and decorconstantgardenerDined on 6/7/2014We were looking for a comtemporary modern atmosphere and were delighted to find this gem. Yes, it is a bit spendy but not for the ivy league location on Central Park and considering the extensive wine list. The food was excellent, the halibut and chicken entrees were well prepared and my fish was nicely presented on cool looking plate. The service was extreemly accomodating and attentive. The decor was delightful. I will be back.Special Features:
- Overpriced and not worth itAndreLaPlumeDined on 6/3/2014Very cool interior, and yes, it is at the based of Central Park, but you can't see it, so why pay the high prices? $18 for French Onion Soup and it was sub par. I've had much better for $6. Service was attentive, as the place was empty, but not very friendly. 3 people, 2, appetizers, 3 salads, 3 soups, 2 beers = $205. Fine for a special occasion IF THERE WAS BREATHTAKING VIEWS - but there is not.
- Post-renovation, still marvelousBarryDined on 5/21/2014Can't fault South Gate. Attentive service and perfectly prepared food. We both had the lamb, and although it turned out they had no mint sauce to accompany it, they quickly concocted a mint yogurt dip just for us. Another wonderful evening here!Special Features:
- Quite DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/30/2014The menu is lack of choices. The fish I ordered is quite dry (over cooked), though the taste is quite alright. The service is not good. I went with 3 business guests. When 2 of us finished the appetizer, the waiter said the main dishes were ready, so he collected these 2 finished plates and brought all 4 main dishes to our table. The table is not big. One guest of mine and I were having 2 plates of food at the same time. I don't mind receiving this kind of service if I eat in a diner, however this is a restaurant in a hotel.
- Nice and mod too!L7CamperVIPDined on 3/5/2014This is a nice find on CPS. As the hotel type restaurants, this is a fun place. Good energy and good food. Desserts could use some updating as they were pretty basic and not as tasty as they sounded. The bar is uusual and made a note to visit later in the evening sometime. Sevice was very attentive and polite. The decor is great very mod and appropriate which adds to a fund environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The decor is tacky, the foodAnonymousDined on 3/4/2014The decor is tacky, the food is average, and the prices are sky high. South Gate can charge the way it does because it is right on Central Park, but the view doesn't make it worth the price of admission. I went for restaurant week and I still thought it was too expensive.
- One of my "Go To" placesDiamondlilDined on 2/28/2014Love the atmosphere, good location, very good food, delightful service, I bring people here that come in from out of town. It's relaxed and not "Fussy" but very pretty interiors, visually appealing, been here at least 5 times so far and recommend it to friends looking for a place that is not a "Scene" but delivers enough of the upscale "hip" experience without it being obnoxious and filled with wanna-bes......Special Features:
- ConvenientAchaser2Dined on 2/24/2014We were staying at the JW Marriott and did not want to go out, so ate at their restaurant. It was restaurant week, so menu was a prix fixe. Food was good, though limited in choice. It was convenient. Service was acceptable. Room was attractive.Special Features:
- Good for a drink after workJennyMDined on 2/21/2014South Gate should be a foodie heaven, but it's not. Went there with a colleague during restaurant week. But good for business, tables far apart. There are lots of great-sounding things, herbal this and heirloom that, but when push comes to shove, it was good, but overpriced (except during restaurant week). This is a hotel restaurant. It's convenient, and you can charge guests whatever you like. We had the prosciutto salad, which was terrific, the fluke sashimi (didn't know it was sashimi, but it was very tasty). The flank steak really wasn't too good. Meat a bit grisly, had to send it back because "rare" wasn't. Nice sauce and purple fingerling potatoes, but nothing to write home about. Tasty creme brulee, tarte tartin COLD!
- We met our son at 5 pm andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/20/2014We met our son at 5 pm and had a great dinner in a very nice environment. Would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty much what you wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/19/2014Pretty much what you would expect from a restaurant in a hotel (JW Marriott Essex House) located right on Central Park. The space and the view are lovely, but the food and presentation are just average and at a high price point.
- Good Food, real cocktailsDelightfulVIPDined on 2/17/2014The food was very good. The cocktail actually contained alcohol. Went during restaurant week for the first time, but will be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed in restaurantdickens68VIPDined on 2/8/2014We have been to this restaurant when Kerry Heffernan was chef. It was wonderful. Now, it's just a Marriott hotel restaurant with no personality or creativity. Food is average. If you are looking for quality cuisine, keep looking.
- Ok, but has issuesDan17Dined on 1/24/2014My first gripe will seem silly: my wife and I had club soda instead of still water, and when the bill came that cost us 26 dollars. ($6.50 each). My wife then asked how much a bottle of Pellegrino is: $10. That they charge that strikes me as a symbol of what the place aspires to be: a place to detach visitors from as much money as possible, not a place that wants regular New York visitors. The service, with that point top of mind, was mediocre. We liked the food, but nothing struck us as extraordinary.Special Features:
- Great surprise. We were tightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/16/2014Great surprise. We were tight on time and decided to eat at the hotel and made reservations at the South Gate. Great wine list and the food was terrific. Gem.Special Features:
- No GoodScottDined on 12/7/2013Although the hotel was very nice, the restaurant really wasn't too good. The grilled romaine appetizer was good but the entries were entirely regular and not even close to being worth the price charged. The service was entirely average. The scallops were OK but a bit undercooked. They supposedly came with grits but the grits were barely even enough to call the a garnish.
- Great cocktails, but $9 for coffeeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/16/2013Food is fine - I had halibut which was great, but tried my husband's caesar salad and would definitely pass on that (he agreed). He had the pasta which wasn't very good either. Their cocktails are great, but don't order a cup of coffee! $9 for a cup of coffee is really ridiculous.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Price Fixe lunch menu?SkisurferVIPDined on 10/31/2013What happened to the price fixe lunch menu? I was unpleasantly surprised to see it gone.
- Miko for brunchMikeVIPDined on 10/27/2013We found the South gate Restaurant disappointing. The food was just ok, nothing special. What was special were the prices, which we expected in a hotel in NYC. What we did not expect was that the food would be average, especially at a Marriott Hotel. Still looking for that perfect spot in New York.Special Features:
- South Gate not what it used to beNMIllsDined on 10/7/2013This restaurant used to have a really lovely menu. the look is still beautiful but the food is not as good since Kerry left. and the decor is starting to seem a little worn. Feels like any other hotel restaurant now. Location/park still nice.Special Features:
- Excellent Gem!MattG79Dined on 9/28/2013I can't say enough great things about this place. The food is amazing, the ambience is beautiful and the staff is very friendly and excellent. Great date spot or occasion spot with the wife or girlfriend. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuluvnycVIPDined on 9/16/2013I was disappointed that they didn't have a pre-fixe lunch anymore and I thought the prices were too high for lunch and dinner. I ordered a cranberry juice the glass was small and the cost was $9.00 that is totally unacceptable. We may not return anymore, there are too many other restaurants in New York City to have lunch at.
- So DisappointedMonaBVIPDined on 8/16/2013This restaurant was my personal neighborhood gem.. I must have dined here at least 10 times before JW Marriott made sweepingchanges: first the decor (ugly), the wine selections (limited) and the food (basically a bar menu now). This restaurant used to have a chef, who was the runner up on Top Chef Masters and prepared great food. Please please return to the original concept. I won't be back any time soon.
- Restaurant under major renovation.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/29/2013Restaurant under major renovation. We should have been told before. Dr zcherry
- Very disappointing experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/27/2013Very disappointing experience compare to what it used to be not so long ago; the nicely designed room on CPW was transferred to a small, dark room on the back of the Hotel. More importantly, the superb 25$ Lunch Menu which was excellent just vanished -although it is still mentioned on the website- thus the price was double, and then you could count your pasta Cavatelli in your plate on your hands ( I asked if this was an appetizer size....) service was fair, no more. I will not return until the other room is reopened and I see what the Menu looks like
- WE DID NOT STAY FOR DINNERboobVIPDined on 3/8/2013WE DID NOT STAY FOR DINNER BECAUSE WHEN WE CHECKED IN WE FOUND OUT THAT THE DINNING ROOM WAS CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS AND THEY SENT US A DARK DINGY ROOM IN ANOTHER PART OF THE HOTELALSO THE MENEU HAD CHANGED AND WAS MORE EXPENSIVE THEN WE THOUGHT. I THINK THEY WERE DECEPTIVE.!!!!!!!!!!
- Surprised to find this gemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/19/2013Surprised to find this gem inside the Marriot. Great wines by the glass.
- Hotel restaurant in the EssexKEENJVIPDined on 2/16/2013Hotel restaurant in the Essex House. Large, attractive dining room with high ceilings, fireplace, and walls of wine bottles. Space between tables, lending a relaxed, calming atmosphere. Views of Central Park. Creative American food, which was good, but pricey.Special Features:
- South Gate was extremely disappointalimentaryadventurerDined on 2/10/2013South Gate was extremely disappointing.The menu was very overpriced and service was poor. Wait staff did not get order right. Will pass this restaurant by.
- This was our first diningPenitaVIPDined on 2/2/2013This was our first dining experience at Southgate, and it certainly will not be our last. My porcini encrusted scallops were superb, and my husband's filet mignon was perfect. Add to that the excellent service--most professional but very friendly staff---and it was a winning dinner. The JW Marriott Food and Beverage Manager (His name escapes me at the moment) went out of his way to welcome us. Great PR! We look forward to making Soutgate our priority for dining when in New York. We were also delighted with our accommodations at the JW Marriott Essex House--our new hotel when in New York. That and Southgate are a winning combination!Special Features:
- Atmosphere was good but foodFloeyVIPDined on 1/29/2013Atmosphere was good but food a bit disappointing - tough, cold "dumplings" and coagulated side sauce (same sauce for multiple choices).Special Features:
- Service was good and the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/23/2013Service was good and the food was quite good, especially for a hotel restaurant. The sherbet dessert was not so great, but appetizers and main courses were delicious.Special Features: