300 W. Camelback Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85013Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.southernrailaz.com/
- Phone: 6022000085x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11-3 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Justin Beckett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Southern Rail
Coming to uptown Phoenix this May, the people that brought you Beckett’s Table invite you to experience the Southern Rail. Soulful, warm and centered around community, the Southern Rail will offer flavors of the American South elevated by Chef Justin Beckett’s inspired signature style. Diners will enjoy a journey of nostalgic flavors accented by a robust wine program in a genuinely comfortable setting.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Southern Rail - Best Restaurants in Phoenix ›
Southern Rail reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (82)fit for foodies (77)hot spot (48)good for groups (38)vibrant bar scene (28)special occasion (26)great for outdoor dining (25)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (17)kid-friendly (15)scenic view (8)great for brunch (8)romantic (7)late-night find (7)Show More
- Laissez les bon temps roulerStacyB93Dined on 8/31/2014We're from Louisiana - and I took 2nd place in the People's Choice division at the Gladiators of Gumbo - so we know from Southern food. We were BLOWN away by Southern rail. Everything we ate was outstanding - grilled watermelon salad, gumbo, ribs, chicken n dumplings, beignets, red velvet cake. WOW! Can't wait to bring our friends and family from home. This was the first time that we've eaten Southern food outside of Louisiana where we said, "That's as good or better than home." Well done! Great food and good prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/30/2014We've traveled through the South and love Southern food, so we were excited to try this restaurant. The food was quite disappointing. The smoked chicken with dumplings dish was 80% biscuits with a not-very-tasty gravy and barely any chicken to be found. The grits were overly salty. The coating on the fried green tomatoes was too heavy, although the pimento cheese that this was served with was pretty good. The only thing we thoroughly enjoyed were the beignets.
- Good but not GreatDavidBDined on 8/30/2014Two of us dined here on Saturday August 30th for dinner. The place has a nice vibe to it and has been redone as the building was vacant for years. The service was very good and attentive. The food was good but you did not get much for the price. I thought that the shrimp had a very tasteful sauce and my partner had the catfish with a flavorful sauce. The coconut cake was very good. However for the price we did not feel that full and though it could have had a larger selection and larger portions. You must pay for the corn muffins or whatever type of bread you order which I did not like. All in all Good. Could have been better.Special Features:
- Expecting betterYummersDined on 8/29/2014Southern Rail is a cute place and the service was great. We tried a variety of items. I was really looking forward to the fried green tomatoes but I was a bit let down. The tomatoes were too small and had too much heavy batter on them. The pemmento cheese was nice though. We also tried the gumbo ya ya which was almost over smoked and too brothey, I prefer my gumbo a bit thicker or with a little dirty rice. We also had the salmon special, which was cooked perfectly. The salmon was a top of Vichyssoise mashed potatoes. Quite good. But I was really looking forward to the southern fare and I think Southern Rail is just below the mark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Food good, expected grits and shrimp dish on menu, disappointed in bread pudding nothing like i have had in Georgia. very specialized, not for weekly dining. Our waiter was superb and a waiter from a regular dining spot I patronize is with you. Dusty is great,helpful, kind and attentive.
- Cajun comfortmishes42Dined on 8/23/2014I have been here the times since the first of August. That says something in itself. The food, spot on. Gumbo yaya is my favorite tho the duck confit runs a close second. During the week, their specials reflect the comfort side but regardless, you will love this southern and New Orleans mix. And an ice cold Dixie beer can't be beat!Special Features:
- Foodieatheart70Dined on 8/23/2014Having been a fan of Beckett's Table I couldn't wait to try Southern Rail. I lived in Atlanta , GA for many years and it was a great way to experience all of the wonderful Southern food again. Excellent ambiance and Tara did an outstanding job throughout the evening. One of the best dining experiences I have had in my 5 years of valley wide travel to over 75 restaurants. It's truly a sure fired way to put some " South in Your Mouth ". Justin and team thanks for a most memorable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TOO ADVANT GUAD/BRING YOUR EARPLUGSTRAVELBUDDYDined on 8/23/2014NICE TO SEE A REMAKE OF AN OLD OUTDATED RESTAURANT ICON. BUT THE MENU IS TOO STRANGE. COULDN'T THERE BE ONE "NORMAL" DISH? THE SERVER TRIED TO EXPLAIN THE CHOICES, BUT WE COULDN'T HEAR EACHOTHER. WAY TOO MUCH "CHATTER" NOISE. I COULDN'T TALK TO MY WIFE, WHICH MAY BE A GOOD THING SINCE SHE DID NOT ENJOY HER DISH.Special Features:
- Well Done!PunaDined on 8/23/2014Justin Beckett has done a great job with this little spot in the revitalized Beefeaters spot. Food is excellent. The pork loin superb. But for simple food elevated, the creamy grits are to die for. A little noisy...well kind of a lot noisy. But there is a nice little alcove in the back that is quieter. Its a great addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Downhome cooking with flareHeatherGVIPDined on 8/19/2014Just so you know this is stick to your ribs, smack your momma, I can't believe I ate it all kind of food. With that said order the biscuits and gravy as an appetizer. Trust me it sets the tone. Homemade mac-n-cheese is gooey goodness. Broccoli, lentil and rice casserole has so many flavors going on and they are all good. BBQ short ribs rank in the top 3 in the valley. Chicken and dumplings were rich and comforting. Eat family style so you can get an order of beignets covered in powdered sugar. Chef Justin Beckett has done it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but ...alohaguyDined on 8/16/2014Heard that this restaurant was overpriced for what you got, and I have to agree. We enjoyed what we had, but it was pricey. The wait staff is excellent. Our waiter, Buddy, was very knowledgeable, personable and professional. The dining room is very noisy. Lots of hard surfaces so sound couldn't be absorbed by anything. The simple salad was the biggest disappointment. Was underdressed. Not worth the $8. Really liked the gumbo, however.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was absolutely amazing and the restaurant itself is charming, the only thing is its kinda of loud so conversations are few.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reserve on Open TableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Make sure you ask for back room. Bar area is loud and energetic. Great for friends hard to hear for romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoudmmarieDined on 8/15/2014Like this restaurant - food always tantalizing flavors you can't get elsewhere and staff is attentive and excellently prepared.Special Features:
- Well Done!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Food was amazing first and second time I have dined here and Buddy our server did a fantastic job and was very patient with how slow we were to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, good food. LoudPhoenixPhoodLoverDined on 8/9/2014Our server was absolutely wonderful. He was engaging and informative about the restaurant and the menu. The restaurant is going through some changes to address the noise level, and it's getting better. However, I'd say that this place is best for small groups of 2-4 people, rather than large groups, because large groups of people all trying to talk across/down the table really amps up the volume and compromises the experience for other patrons. The fried green tomatoes were tasty, and the grits were absolutely fabulous! I enjoyed the ribs and had enough leftovers to enjoy my dinner twice! I can't wait to see what this place is like when the weather is nice and we can sit outside.Special Features:
- First time at SRRichVIPDined on 8/8/2014What a great new restaurant! Beefeater's can rest in peace! We arrived early for a drink and were pleasantly impressed with a very active bar scene! Great service and a nice wine list. Although a relatively new restaurant, you couldn't tell it by the servers. From the bar to the dining room, they all appeared to be very competent and experienced. Fried green tomatoes! Simply superb! The Friday "special plate from the sea" was a shrimp dish that was well prepared and nicely presented. The cider brined pork loin served on a bed of whipped sweet potatoes was terrific! Collard greens - Yum! Having lived in the South for a number of years, this restaurant is the real deal. All in all, a great find and we'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousKimberleeDined on 8/6/2014Great first impression. Interior of the restaurant was awesome. Food was delicious and so creative...collard greens were my favorite. Our server, Chris, was so attentive and knowledgeable. Salads were fresh and unique. Service was prompt and perfectly paced. Cannot wait to come back.Special Features:
- Disappointment: Menu and ServiceAsham14VIPDined on 8/2/2014I don't usually write poor reviews. This place is a waste of time, money, and energy to get there. After our table not being ready at time for our reservation, we sat down. Then we waited 10 mins to get the server to bring us water. Another 10 mins for cocktails, and wow, we finally get to order!. We got the cornbread salad and the chicken and biscuit dumplings. Salad was good, chicken not so much. Especially after waited 10 mins after our entree was served to get the wine. To dessert, the French toast was very good. Only issue, is that it was supposed to be bread pudding and $8 for one piece of French toast, they must be making some great margins!
- Uneven service and foodDeborahDined on 8/2/2014We love Beckett's Table so we were looking forward to our dinner at Southern Rail. We were greeted with an enthusiastic hostess and seated in the side room, which was more intimate and had a good level of sound. Our waiter, Robert, was very busy and our service was uneven. When he was at the table, he was friendly and helpful, however, he was not very attentive and we needed water and place settings and had to ask. The watermelon salad was fabulous and we highly recommend it. The cornbread and brioche were only fair, dry (cornbread) and the brioche had some overdone rolls and some right.(Don't ask me how that can happen in the same pan.) The flatiron steak was wonderful, however, the chicken gumbo was only fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very loudEK24Dined on 8/1/2014The food and cocktails were great, but the restauarant was very, very loud. Maybe 2 people on the same side of a booth would be okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My second time here wasIamericaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Our waiter was fabulous. He meticulously explained the ingredients and cooking technique of every dish discussed. This was my second time here. This time there was a fish dish on special. That was good news. However the fish was paired with a carrot patty (latke). I think patty overwhelmed the piece of fish. There was a bed of corn puree under the fish and latke. It was light, sweet and savory. I would have liked more puree less latke. Braised carrots instead of the carrot latke would have elevated the fish. I am confident this restaurant will continue to offer a good time and good food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently disappointsStillHungryDined on 8/1/2014This is definitely not becketts table. Nor is it the Southern home cooking you expect. This was my fourth visit ordering something new and the food is consistently bad. Something is off with the concept. Home cooking with a foodie spin that seems to ruin every dish. The pork tenderloin is a thick plank of dry pork. The croquettes are dry. One friend ordered the gumbo and said it all tasted like peanut butter. Mac and cheese was the only edible dish and it went fast at the table. The benignetts are good and the fried green tomatoes but that is about it. Hopefully they will make some adjustments. I am about the furthest thing from a food critic or a picky eater. I like nearby and want to like it.
- MMMMMMDined on 7/25/2014The food, as to be expected was amazing, however the service was not the to the same standard as Beckett's Table. Our waiter forgot drinks multiple times during dinner and was often absent from the dining room so we flagged down others. This was an unexpected experience since we absolutely love the service at Beckett's Table and recommend it to everyone. It was also our friends birthday and while my wife called separately to let them know in advance it was not mentioned at any time during the evening so we celebrated as a table without the fan fare. Again, the food is amazing and it's worth the time and patience to go eat at Southern Rail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at Southern RailleelDined on 7/23/2014Great for casual dining. Staff very friendly and helpful. Bar is a happening place and both drinks and appetizers are first rate. Fried green tomatoes are the best! Dinner was very good with ribs and fried chicken getting high marks from our group. I had gumbo with shrimp - good but one of the 3 large shrimp not quite cooked through. Noise considerable. Younger guests probably OK with it - older crowd maybe not so much. Overall an excellent place to dine.Special Features:
- Good, but not worth a special tripZippoDined on 7/23/2014The fried chicken was average and reminded me of Shake and Bake chicken. We would need to try another dish to give a complete opinion, and there are other dishes on the menu that looked interesting. The Mac n Cheese was very good and unique. The wait staff was helpful. The restaurant is very attractive. Mixed drink menu was good. The corn bread is spicy with chunks of red peppers and good if you like it that way. However, the biscuit on our place was a missfire.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun timesCmrphxVIPDined on 7/19/2014Good was great. There were six I our party so I got to taste several items and all were good. The ribs were tender and meaty. Grilled Watermelon salad was very fresh and light. The bread pudding was he best. Couldn't stop eating it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner!Jfp3Dined on 7/19/2014I am from Louisiana and could not wait to try out Southern Rail's menu. We had a party of 6 and we all very much enjoyed the meal and the ambiance at the restaurant. We had fried green tomatoes, cornbread and the brioche rolls to start. All were very tasty. Great bourbon drinks and wine list! Our entrees included several orders of peel and eat shrimp with french bread to dip in the sauce and an excellent chicken and sausage gumbo. We had to get the beignets for dessert and they were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining experienceRmacDined on 7/18/2014There were four of us. We all agreed the food was good, prices agreeable, waitress well trained, pleasant and helpful. HOWEVER , the noise level was to the point that we were shouting to converse. Admittedly, we are of the "older" diners who enjoy our evenings together and wonderful conversation. Therefore, we will not be returning. I doubt lunch-time would be any different.Special Features:
- lovetoeatDined on 7/15/2014We had a very pleasant experience at Southern Rail. Our waiter was especially nice and helpful. The spareribs I ordered were the hit at our table. The men felt their steak was acceptable. The other female ordered the duck and enjoyed it but felt it was a little salty. The restaurant is a bit noisy for us old folks, but we expect that anymore. We have good feelings about the Old Beefeaters restaurant and the Changing Hands bookstore so we came with a very positive anticipatory attitude. We were not disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Foodie DestinationFoodGooberDined on 7/14/2014This place had it all. Wonderful food, great ambiance and chill atmosphere. I was little curious about the lucky cat in the bookshelf above the kitchen. Really cute but did not fit in with the décor? The brioche pull apart bread was my favorite part of dinner along with the white sangria. I can not wait to go back!Special Features:
- TonyVIPDined on 7/12/2014If you like a very loud place then this is your place. It was very difficult to hear the waiter or the person sitting next to you. Food was good and overall ambience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/12/2014We had a fun evening with friends here recently. Try the smoked trout appetizer for a good starter to share. Chicken and dumplings are just okay - try the peel and eat shrimp instead. Very tasty, but very messy, so be prepared! Duck confit was also amazing. If you save room for desesrt, the pie in a jar was so good and the beignets are huge, light, fluffy and delicious - enough to share for sure. Another bonus - no valey required!Special Features:
- Give it a tryCarisaWVIPDined on 7/11/2014I was excited to try Southern Rail. I enjoy Beckett's Table and The Newton concept is too cool! I had a mixed experience. I am allergic to jalapeños (and it sucks living in the Southwest), not get me an epipen allergy, but an urgent care visit or two has results in unknown jalapeño. Usually menus let you know because of the spicy element. My menu options were limited because of this. My husband had the chicken and dumplings and was surprised that it was bland (not in need of heat, just more flavor overall). The watermelon salad, smoked trout and coconut cake were delicious! Service was excellent, I just don't know of we will return because of lack of options for me.Special Features:
- Good Eats & Service = GREAT TIMEBarbDined on 7/10/2014My party of four shared several different small plates as well as the brioche and fried green tomatoes. All was VERY tasty and presentation was lovely. The small plates were ample. We sat off the main dining area in a smaller windowed room which was delightful as the noise level was very minimal and didn't interfere with our conversation. Can't wait for lunch service to begin in August. We all agreed that we would definitely dine at Southern Rail again.Special Features:
- Perfect BeckettdaniVIPDined on 7/7/2014The menu is classic southern dishes with a twist. It is almost like southern tapas with the wide assortment of appetizers and salads that are creative and good for sharing. It is friendly to those wishing vegetarian and gluten free dishes. Nice wine assortment by the glass. Nice assortment of desserts that are perfect for sharing.Special Features:
- Solidhound4foodDined on 7/5/2014Delicious food, friendly staff, energetic atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Food!KBeeVIPDined on 7/5/2014I read a lot of reviews about Southern Rail. We've been long-time customers at Beckett's, so I knew the food wouldn't be ordinary and it wasn't. The special was delicious and the grilled watermelon salad was outstanding! My only disappointment is the lack of vegan selections beyond salads. We enjoyed it - and will definitely be back. Don't go expecting Beckett's, but do expect that the food will be just as wonderful.Special Features:
- RunyandinnerVIPDined on 7/5/2014Wonderful southern food with the great service and feel of Beckett's Table!Special Features:
- Off to go startLookn4goodfoodVIPDined on 7/4/2014Read reviews about Southern Rail in local papers. Gave it a try and we were not disappointed. They have set high standards for PHX resturants.Special Features: