Southern Prime Steakhouse
270 SW Broad St
Southern Pines, NC 28327Neighborhood:
Southern Pines / Pinehurst
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Southern Prime Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.southernprimesteakhouse.net/
- Phone: 9106930123
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday Dinner 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday Dinner 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew A McDonald
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: We are pleased to invite you to our new "Saturday We are pleased to invite you to our "Sunday Brunch" which we will be serving between 11:30 and 3:00 pm. Chef Christopher Hedrick has worked his magic and created a menu sure to please the entire family. Take a stroll through Southern Pines and then come relax on our outdoor patio or in a cozy booth. We're looking forward to seeing you there!
A word from Southern Prime Steakhouse
We are a fresh breath of class and style in the Sandhills of North Carolina. Located in Southern Pines, we offer an atmosphere of relaxed elegance and sophistication, where steak is our specialty. We have an extensive wine cellar featuring 3500 bottles, 20 of which we are pouring by the glass. Please join us between 5pm and 6pm to receive $3 off all entrees and steaks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Southern Prime Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Southern Pines / Pinehurst ›
Southern Prime Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (33)romantic (23)notable wine list (18)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (10)neighborhood gem (9)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014It was our anniversary ...we were treated so special. Everything was wonderful... Thank youSpecial Features:
- Southern Prime hits the markThefish3Dined on 10/14/2014I decided to take my wife to dinner at Southern Prime for her 35th birthday and even though we had to drive 40 minutes to get there it Waddell worth it. The ambiance and feel of the restaurant was very elegant and relaxed. We dined in a room which has floor to ceiling wine bottles and had the entire place to ourselves. The wait staff was definitely on top of their game as we felt that they were very attentive without being overbearing. I like it when a server is able to walk that fine line and refill my glass like a ninja. The food was very good all the way around. From the appetizer to the dessert the dishes did not disappoint. It was a pricey meal but I would definitely recommend it and I am sure that my wife and I will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Triple Delight.AtHomeinMooreDined on 10/3/2014Triple delight. Great food. Great service. Great atmosphere. We are new to the area and we are glad that we became acquainted with Southern Prime. It will remain a favorite destination for our most special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickfromOHIODined on 9/27/2014This restaurant has become the "go to" place during our golf trips to the area. The service and food is outstanding. Out of all the options in the area, everyone in our group requests Southern Prime when planning reservations for a great meal (evening out) during our trip. The bar area is a nice place to have a drink before being seated. Our waitress Kelly was top notch, helping make the evening relaxing. She was attentive to all our needs and requests. As we have to decide on golf courses to play when coming to the area, there is no having to decide where to eat - Southern Prime Steakhouse is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryStellaDined on 9/26/2014A wonderful, special table and a surprise dessert on the house!. Excellent food and service! Definitely a place to recommended highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just say No to elevator musicRhinosDined on 9/13/2014For the price of the food at this restaurant, we were dissappointed. The scallops were chewy but my husband loved the steak. I feel like this restaurant could be more Chic with different music. The elevator music made us feel we were at a hotel.Special Features:
- Special occasion3puttDined on 9/12/2014Very nice for any event . Fantastic food! Nice decor, great service, a very comfortable place to enjoy and/or celebrate. Would recommend to anyone for dinner. On the upper end of pricing but well worth it. Also has very cool bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food except dessertartist28374Dined on 9/5/2014We came here after my art show opened. The food is very good. However, I do not recommend the cheese cake. And my hollandaise was peppery. There are not many variations in the wines by the glass; and, all are very expensive and almost all priced at $15 a glass. My nephew who owns a wine store in Manhattan commented that one wine that had that price is $3.99 a bottle wholesale in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks!gr8phoodDined on 9/1/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our first time visit to this restaurant. We had the 16 oz rib eye and the 8 oz fillet with lobster sauce topping. Both were well prepared and delicious. Our waitress was friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. Expect to pay about $50/person for meal, tax, and tip. We will definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DelightedChefdibsDined on 8/23/2014As a chef I find it hard to find places to eat that will truly make me say that was great. Well Southern Prime is one of those places that really impressed me. The food was great and we had a really good server who was able to recommend entree choices along with a good wine pairing. At first I thought I would be paying more for what I got, but I got what I feel was worth the price. My compliments to the chef from a chef. My wife, my daughter, and myself really enjoyed our meals. I had the opportunity to taste everything we all had and it was all delicious. GREAT JOB!!! I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Not what it used to beLarryMDined on 8/15/2014We had visited Southern Prime several times prior to this celebration of our anniversary. Our appetizer never came and when our entree arrived the meat was rare rather than medium as I requested. They offered to provide dessert at no charge for their mistakes which softened the blow, but the service in general was poor. We'd have empty plates just sitting in front of us waiting for someone to come by and remove them from the table. They seemed to be short on staff! We've enjoyed SP other times previously and were very disappointed with this past dining experience. We hope it gets better or it may be our last visit there.Special Features:
- AnniversaryGlassHalfFullVIPDined on 8/13/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our anniversary celebration at Southern Prime Steakhouse. The place is gorgeous. We were seated in the central wine room with floor-to-ceiling cases filled with wine. Our server Conner was attentive and the manager stopped by twice to check on us. We shared an appetizer of heirloom tomatoes on delicate lettuce leaves with fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, and balsamic vinegar. Light and delicious. The house martini and the 5:15 locomotive (Manhattan) were fantastic. Our steaks were perfectly seasoned and cooked exactly as we ordered them. We even had room for desserts: the coconut cream pie was excellent as was the raspberry sorbet. Good wines by the glass. All in all, a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- A Superb Dining Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We were celebrating our anniversary with dinner at Southern Prime Steakhouse and we were not disappointed. Manager Scott met us at the door with anniversary wishes and saw us to a quiet table with rose petals adorning it. The restaurant is beautifully decorated. Dinner, champagne, ambiance, service, and attention to detail were most excellent! The wait staff left nothing to be desired. It certainly was a most enjoyable dining experience, which we hope to repeat many times again in the future. We would highly recommend Southern Prime to anyone looking for a fine dining experience! Hats off to Southern Prime Steakhouse...the proprietor, the manager, and the entire staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualNCgolferDined on 8/7/2014Our latest visit to Southern Prime Steakhouse was great. The seafood is very good, especially for a steakhouse. My wife had the lobster tail and I had the seafood special for the night, sea bass. The lobstertini is a great appetizer. The cocktails and wine list are top notch. Our wait person, Sara, did a great job, attentive but not fawning.Special Features:
- The ultimate experiencePlace2beDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I went for our wedding anniversary and it was one to remember. The atmosphere where we sat along with the food and the service was unbelievable. I would recommend Southern Prime to anyone looking to enjoy a quality meal with an upscale atmosphere.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceMamacitakcDined on 8/2/2014Our first visit to Pinehurst, we seen the ad in a golf magazine and was wanting to have a nice dinner to celebrate our anniversary. The service was top notch, the food was delicious! We will be back for sure. Thank you for making our last night in town a memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2014We're in town for the US Kids World Championship and had to eat at Southern Prime again after having had a good experience there when we were in town last year. Great place for a great steak and sides. Also had the scallops tonight and those were excellent as well. Wait staff was very accommodating. We'll definitely be back for our steak dinner again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinealotdineallotDined on 7/22/2014Had a wonderful anniversary dinner there. Food was well seasoned and .prepared to order ( mashed potatoes yummy!) and the plates were hot! Great waiter...attentive and well trained. We will return many times and recommend Southrrn Prime to others.Special Features:
- noise levelBROADUSDined on 7/19/2014Everything was great except the noise level-just too loud................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014My husband and I celebrated out 2nd year anniversary at Southern Prime. I made a note on our reservation that it was our anniversary. We were greeted by our hostess and our waitress with a "happy anniversary", and our table was decorated with little heart confetti. It was not over done, but just enough to help make our night a little more special. We had good service from Sara, enjoyed our food, and would happily come again.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinner!NiceskyDined on 7/12/2014My husband took me there on my 40th birthday. Great food and it was a beautiful restaurant. Never had such a tender steak before. Had a great time, thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Pines steakMsfreshfoodieDined on 7/10/2014We love a great steak dinner and thought this steakhouse from the outside looked like a great choice. We arrived and were seated and some time later a young man came and apologized for the delay and said he was assigned to our table. We ordered cocktails only to be told by this young man that he was not old enough to actually serve the drinks but could take the order. We waited a very long time for our drinks to arrive and ordered our meal. The meal was a huge disappoint except for my ribeye steak and the creamed spinach. My wife's filet was cold and uneventful as were the accompanying sides. We expressed our disappointment in the meal to our server and made it perfectly clear that we did not blame him.
- Who Needs Ruth's Chris?TheGourmetMooseDined on 7/5/2014This was our first visit to SPS and it sure won't be our last. We decided to go to SPS to celebrate my wife's birthday and our daughter's first visit to our retirement home at Mid South Club here in Southern Pines. Our server, Sara, was awesome....and made us feel very much at home. I had the Prime Rib and my wife/daughter opted for the NY Strip Steak...all of them cooked to perfection. We washed our meal down with a nice Ramey Cabernet...my only suggestion would be for any bottle of wine over $100.00 should automatically be put into a decanter for proper breathing. The restaurant also surprised my wife with a "Happy Birthday" piece of cake with candle that the 3 of us shared at the end our our delicious meal. We will be back with gusto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedZehrilliaDined on 7/3/2014The restaurant is beautiful however the waitstaff leaves much to be desired. It was quite obvious that our waitress did not want to be there and acted as such. The food left much to be desired - the appetizers were poorly prepared and the steaks were all cooked incorrectly, we sent one back that was supposed to be medium well and was bloodier than the medium rare! For the money we paid ($200 for three people and only 2 drinks) I would much rather have spent my money at Beefeaters down the road and had a quality meal and a fair price. Sorry, we won't be going back.
- The following 371 reviews are from the Southern Prime Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Outstandingrichb238Dined on 6/24/2014An excellent dining experience for 3 couples. Very attractive dining room and bar. Interesting cocktail and wine selections. All were very pleased with the entrees, The sea bass, scallops and filet were hits. Professional service. Fine dining in the Sandhills!Special Features:
- One of the best steaks ever!GingerDined on 6/20/2014I can recommend Southern Prime to anyone for a special night out. Cocktails are excellent and the food and service even better. Plan to spend some serious money but always worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but no valueSchutz64Dined on 6/15/2014Food was good but my prime rib was small and relatively tasteless. Nice wine list and servers were all friendly. They are trying to be a high end steak house but in my view fall just short. I think Texas Roadhouse is a better value for good steaks in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Awesome service.HdfaberDined on 6/14/2014The food was great...everything from the bread to the desert. Must try the Gouda Mac and cheese. A little pricey, but worth it! We sat in the wine room and it was gorgeous! Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- US Open DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014A very quality and delightful restaurant. Our service from Switzerland was outstanding. He did an excellent job of making our visit even more special. John LawrenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the price, food nothing specialnewintownDined on 6/14/2014My steak was OK but certainly nothing special for the $$ paid. Same goes for spinach salad--very ordinary. Frankly, the best part of the meal was the bread and the cheesecake we had for dessert. I'd heard a lot about this restaurant and was rather disappointed.Special Features:
- Dinner for 4 during US Open weeklovesgreatfoodDined on 6/14/2014My husband and myself are in MidSouth for the US Men's & Ladies Open as well as golf for ourselves. We had dinner on Fri. night, 6/13/2014 at Southern Prime. The dinner was wonderful. My husband had Prime Rib and it melted in your mouth. I had the salmon which was very good. Most restaurants had limited menu's during the US Open golf tournament and we knew that so that didn't bother us. We have been to Southern Prime before when in town and will return on our next trip down. The service was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another wonderful experienceMEKATDined on 6/14/2014This place is great...my vote for top restaurant in Moore countySpecial Features:
- The Best at PinehurstJimHDined on 6/13/2014Group of 6 attending US Open at Pinehurst had dinner here at Southern Prime in Southern Pine just a few minutes from Pinehurst. The dinner experience was outstanding in every way. The food and service were top notch. The ambiance was outstanding albiet loud. The wine list was just incredible, aided by the presentation of wine selections in floor-to-ceiling glass walls all over the restaurant! Really a sight to see. Can't say enough about the quality of the food and the staff. Just go and enjoy!Special Features:
- Highly recommend Southern Prime!lydeegirlDined on 6/13/2014Just had another wonderful dinner at Southern Prime during the U. S. Open. Prompt service, lovely ambience, delicious food worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!MikaylaDined on 6/13/2014The food was outstanding! The service was average. The atmosphere in the dining room was like a fancy geriatric ward. I would sit in the bar or the wine room next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice overall.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014This is a very good representation of a "high-end" steakhouse given its small town location. The food quality, service, ambiance, and prices are what you would expect in a good steakhouse in Chicago or any major metro area. Great location with a nice little outdoor area as well. The bar area was bustling. I entertained business clients there and it worked out really well. I would go there again for business or for a special occasion meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMcAcDined on 6/12/2014Dinner was amazing as always!! The waitstaff kept us squared away the entire evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2014The service was fine and the initial appetizers/salads were very good. The steak ( 14 oz ribeye dry aged) was very disappointing for the hefty price paid. More like USDA Choice that hit a 1400 degree oven. I requested medium rare and charred on the outside and rare on the inside is not it. I sent it back and no improvement when it returned. To be fair, could have just been an off night on the beef. But if you have the words " prime steakhouse" in your name, be prepared for significant expectations.
- a lil disappointedbossmomDined on 6/12/2014Wish they would have told me they really couldn't accommodate my food allergies when I made the reservation (as I put it in the comments)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steakOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/8/2014This is a great place to go for wonderful service and above average food. Steak aged and cooked to perfection. The mashed potatoes had a little too much sour cream but other than that the food was exemplary (albeit a little lukewarm). The service and ambience of the restaurant were impeccable. I would definitely go back again.Special Features: