Southern Prime Steakhouse
270 SW Broad St
Southern Pines, NC 28387Neighborhood:
Southern Pines / Pinehurst
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Southern Prime Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.southernprimesteakhouse.net/
- Phone: (910) 693-0123
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday Dinner 5:00pm - 11:00pm Sunday Dinner 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Matthew A McDonald
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: We are pleased to invite you to our new "Saturday We are pleased to invite you to our "Sunday Brunch" which we will be serving between 11:30 and 3:00 pm. Chef Christopher Hedrick has worked his magic and created a menu sure to please the entire family. Take a stroll through Southern Pines and then come relax on our outdoor patio or in a cozy booth. We're looking forward to seeing you there!
A word from Southern Prime Steakhouse
We are a fresh breath of class and style in the Sandhills of North Carolina. Located in Southern Pines, we offer an atmosphere of relaxed elegance and sophistication, where steak is our specialty. We have an extensive wine cellar featuring 3500 bottles, 20 of which we are pouring by the glass. Please join us between 5pm and 6pm to receive $3 off all entrees and steaks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Southern Prime Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Southern Pines / Pinehurst ›
Southern Prime Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)romantic (29)notable wine list (17)fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (11)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2014We celebrated our 22nd anniversary here. The waiter was outstanding. He even brought us dessert to finish our delicious meal. The steaks were cooked perfectly. The bread was amazing. I thought they had a good selection. Their specials were very tempting but I had my mind set on one of their steaks and I wasn't disappointed. The only thing I didn't care for was the calamari. It was rubbery. It was strange that we were only offered 6:15 and 7:45 for reservation times on Open Table and we were one of two tables being used almost the whole time we were there. I would recommend calling them if they don't offer the time you want on Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Prime = True Southern GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014My wife and I went for our 5th wedding anniversary. It was FANTASTIC. The food was phenomenal. The server that waited on us (Austin) was great. I suggest the steaks. My wife had a NY Strip and I had a dry-aged Ribeye that was the best steak I have ever eaten. The manager called that afternoon to ask if I had any special requests for the occasion. They had champagne on ice waiting for us when we arrived and had decorated the table with small hearts. We also got complimentary dessert after our meal. The Lobster Rangoons were also very good. We will be making a trip back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pass on the 8 oz filetdineallotDined on 11/14/2014Love the ambiance, service excellent, good wine list. Food: 2 of 3 dishes were very good to excellent. 8 oz filet was overcooked and dry. Our guest who is a steak lover found it almost Inedible and ate less than half of it. We ended up paying $35.00 for broccoli and mashed potatoes. Would not recommend this item to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good but undercookedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014I ordered the lamb special, and although delicious, I asked for it medium rare and received it ultra-extra-rare, to the point it was cold in the middle and I was worried about its safety. I'd still recommend the place, just be very clear on how you want your meat cookedI would recommend this to a friend.
- NOT COMING BACKMOLLY2Dined on 11/6/2014We will not come back since when our bill came we were taken back at the price of the special strip steak. Our guest asked about the specials for the night and the waitress recommended the blacked strip steak. The strip steak on the menu was $32 and the waitress never mentioned the special strip steak was $52.00. I live in a small town & this price is so out of line especially never giving us the price. The house wine a was $12.00 which is also very high and it wasn't a glass in a half. If they want to stay in business they must know not many people are going to spend those kind of prices especially since this is not a 5 star restaurant. Our friends travel extensively and they were not impressed by this restaurant.
- CharlieandyChvbarlieandyDined on 10/29/2014The best filet mignon I have ever had. Seriously. We were seated in th Wine room and I thought it was nice for our group of six. Would choose a booth for smaller party.Special Features:
- Best in townrichb238Dined on 10/27/2014We have consistently found Southern Prime to be the finest dining in Southern Pines. The atmosphere is unrivaled in the area. The custom cocktails are interesting. Try the 5:15 locomotive! 2 or 3 of these and your train may not leave the station. 5 diners all enjoyed the salads, entrees and desserts. The filet, halibut, and coconut cream pie were standouts. Service is friendly yet professional. In short. a consistent winner.Special Features:
- Not Up to ExpectationsLove2EatDined on 10/25/2014I have found the food quality to be inconsistent visit to visit. On a recent visit I had the special halibut. This dish was not up to expectations. First it was not as described by the server. The fish lacked flavor and was on a risotto that was more like minute rice with canned diced tomatoes. I would recommend sticking to the meat entres that are menu staples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014We have been coming here for a few years now, the service is not up to par with the menu. Seems like they have a very inexperienced staff.Special Features:
- Awesome restaurant!reviewfoodDined on 10/22/2014We have been to this restaurant 4 times now, and every time it has been excellent. The waiters are very friendly and the food is great. I would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014It was our anniversary ...we were treated so special. Everything was wonderful... Thank youSpecial Features:
- Southern Prime hits the markThefish3Dined on 10/14/2014I decided to take my wife to dinner at Southern Prime for her 35th birthday and even though we had to drive 40 minutes to get there it Waddell worth it. The ambiance and feel of the restaurant was very elegant and relaxed. We dined in a room which has floor to ceiling wine bottles and had the entire place to ourselves. The wait staff was definitely on top of their game as we felt that they were very attentive without being overbearing. I like it when a server is able to walk that fine line and refill my glass like a ninja. The food was very good all the way around. From the appetizer to the dessert the dishes did not disappoint. It was a pricey meal but I would definitely recommend it and I am sure that my wife and I will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Triple Delight.AtHomeinMooreDined on 10/3/2014Triple delight. Great food. Great service. Great atmosphere. We are new to the area and we are glad that we became acquainted with Southern Prime. It will remain a favorite destination for our most special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickfromOHIODined on 9/27/2014This restaurant has become the "go to" place during our golf trips to the area. The service and food is outstanding. Out of all the options in the area, everyone in our group requests Southern Prime when planning reservations for a great meal (evening out) during our trip. The bar area is a nice place to have a drink before being seated. Our waitress Kelly was top notch, helping make the evening relaxing. She was attentive to all our needs and requests. As we have to decide on golf courses to play when coming to the area, there is no having to decide where to eat - Southern Prime Steakhouse is the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnniversaryStellaDined on 9/26/2014A wonderful, special table and a surprise dessert on the house!. Excellent food and service! Definitely a place to recommended highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just say No to elevator musicRhinosDined on 9/13/2014For the price of the food at this restaurant, we were dissappointed. The scallops were chewy but my husband loved the steak. I feel like this restaurant could be more Chic with different music. The elevator music made us feel we were at a hotel.Special Features:
- Special occasion3puttDined on 9/12/2014Very nice for any event . Fantastic food! Nice decor, great service, a very comfortable place to enjoy and/or celebrate. Would recommend to anyone for dinner. On the upper end of pricing but well worth it. Also has very cool bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food except dessertartist28374Dined on 9/5/2014We came here after my art show opened. The food is very good. However, I do not recommend the cheese cake. And my hollandaise was peppery. There are not many variations in the wines by the glass; and, all are very expensive and almost all priced at $15 a glass. My nephew who owns a wine store in Manhattan commented that one wine that had that price is $3.99 a bottle wholesale in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks!gr8phoodDined on 9/1/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our first time visit to this restaurant. We had the 16 oz rib eye and the 8 oz fillet with lobster sauce topping. Both were well prepared and delicious. Our waitress was friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive. Expect to pay about $50/person for meal, tax, and tip. We will definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DelightedChefdibsDined on 8/23/2014As a chef I find it hard to find places to eat that will truly make me say that was great. Well Southern Prime is one of those places that really impressed me. The food was great and we had a really good server who was able to recommend entree choices along with a good wine pairing. At first I thought I would be paying more for what I got, but I got what I feel was worth the price. My compliments to the chef from a chef. My wife, my daughter, and myself really enjoyed our meals. I had the opportunity to taste everything we all had and it was all delicious. GREAT JOB!!! I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Not what it used to beLarryMDined on 8/15/2014We had visited Southern Prime several times prior to this celebration of our anniversary. Our appetizer never came and when our entree arrived the meat was rare rather than medium as I requested. They offered to provide dessert at no charge for their mistakes which softened the blow, but the service in general was poor. We'd have empty plates just sitting in front of us waiting for someone to come by and remove them from the table. They seemed to be short on staff! We've enjoyed SP other times previously and were very disappointed with this past dining experience. We hope it gets better or it may be our last visit there.Special Features:
- AnniversaryGlassHalfFullVIPDined on 8/13/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our anniversary celebration at Southern Prime Steakhouse. The place is gorgeous. We were seated in the central wine room with floor-to-ceiling cases filled with wine. Our server Conner was attentive and the manager stopped by twice to check on us. We shared an appetizer of heirloom tomatoes on delicate lettuce leaves with fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, and balsamic vinegar. Light and delicious. The house martini and the 5:15 locomotive (Manhattan) were fantastic. Our steaks were perfectly seasoned and cooked exactly as we ordered them. We even had room for desserts: the coconut cream pie was excellent as was the raspberry sorbet. Good wines by the glass. All in all, a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- A Superb Dining Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We were celebrating our anniversary with dinner at Southern Prime Steakhouse and we were not disappointed. Manager Scott met us at the door with anniversary wishes and saw us to a quiet table with rose petals adorning it. The restaurant is beautifully decorated. Dinner, champagne, ambiance, service, and attention to detail were most excellent! The wait staff left nothing to be desired. It certainly was a most enjoyable dining experience, which we hope to repeat many times again in the future. We would highly recommend Southern Prime to anyone looking for a fine dining experience! Hats off to Southern Prime Steakhouse...the proprietor, the manager, and the entire staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualNCgolferDined on 8/7/2014Our latest visit to Southern Prime Steakhouse was great. The seafood is very good, especially for a steakhouse. My wife had the lobster tail and I had the seafood special for the night, sea bass. The lobstertini is a great appetizer. The cocktails and wine list are top notch. Our wait person, Sara, did a great job, attentive but not fawning.Special Features:
- The ultimate experiencePlace2beDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I went for our wedding anniversary and it was one to remember. The atmosphere where we sat along with the food and the service was unbelievable. I would recommend Southern Prime to anyone looking to enjoy a quality meal with an upscale atmosphere.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceMamacitakcDined on 8/2/2014Our first visit to Pinehurst, we seen the ad in a golf magazine and was wanting to have a nice dinner to celebrate our anniversary. The service was top notch, the food was delicious! We will be back for sure. Thank you for making our last night in town a memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2014We're in town for the US Kids World Championship and had to eat at Southern Prime again after having had a good experience there when we were in town last year. Great place for a great steak and sides. Also had the scallops tonight and those were excellent as well. Wait staff was very accommodating. We'll definitely be back for our steak dinner again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 378 reviews are from the Southern Prime Steakhouse reviews archive.
- DinealotdineallotDined on 7/22/2014Had a wonderful anniversary dinner there. Food was well seasoned and .prepared to order ( mashed potatoes yummy!) and the plates were hot! Great waiter...attentive and well trained. We will return many times and recommend Southrrn Prime to others.Special Features:
- noise levelBROADUSDined on 7/19/2014Everything was great except the noise level-just too loud................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014My husband and I celebrated out 2nd year anniversary at Southern Prime. I made a note on our reservation that it was our anniversary. We were greeted by our hostess and our waitress with a "happy anniversary", and our table was decorated with little heart confetti. It was not over done, but just enough to help make our night a little more special. We had good service from Sara, enjoyed our food, and would happily come again.Special Features:
- Great birthday dinner!NiceskyDined on 7/12/2014My husband took me there on my 40th birthday. Great food and it was a beautiful restaurant. Never had such a tender steak before. Had a great time, thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Pines steakMsfreshfoodieDined on 7/10/2014We love a great steak dinner and thought this steakhouse from the outside looked like a great choice. We arrived and were seated and some time later a young man came and apologized for the delay and said he was assigned to our table. We ordered cocktails only to be told by this young man that he was not old enough to actually serve the drinks but could take the order. We waited a very long time for our drinks to arrive and ordered our meal. The meal was a huge disappoint except for my ribeye steak and the creamed spinach. My wife's filet was cold and uneventful as were the accompanying sides. We expressed our disappointment in the meal to our server and made it perfectly clear that we did not blame him.
- Who Needs Ruth's Chris?TheGourmetMooseDined on 7/5/2014This was our first visit to SPS and it sure won't be our last. We decided to go to SPS to celebrate my wife's birthday and our daughter's first visit to our retirement home at Mid South Club here in Southern Pines. Our server, Sara, was awesome....and made us feel very much at home. I had the Prime Rib and my wife/daughter opted for the NY Strip Steak...all of them cooked to perfection. We washed our meal down with a nice Ramey Cabernet...my only suggestion would be for any bottle of wine over $100.00 should automatically be put into a decanter for proper breathing. The restaurant also surprised my wife with a "Happy Birthday" piece of cake with candle that the 3 of us shared at the end our our delicious meal. We will be back with gusto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedZehrilliaDined on 7/3/2014The restaurant is beautiful however the waitstaff leaves much to be desired. It was quite obvious that our waitress did not want to be there and acted as such. The food left much to be desired - the appetizers were poorly prepared and the steaks were all cooked incorrectly, we sent one back that was supposed to be medium well and was bloodier than the medium rare! For the money we paid ($200 for three people and only 2 drinks) I would much rather have spent my money at Beefeaters down the road and had a quality meal and a fair price. Sorry, we won't be going back.
- Outstandingrichb238Dined on 6/24/2014An excellent dining experience for 3 couples. Very attractive dining room and bar. Interesting cocktail and wine selections. All were very pleased with the entrees, The sea bass, scallops and filet were hits. Professional service. Fine dining in the Sandhills!Special Features:
- One of the best steaks ever!GingerDined on 6/20/2014I can recommend Southern Prime to anyone for a special night out. Cocktails are excellent and the food and service even better. Plan to spend some serious money but always worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but no valueSchutz64Dined on 6/15/2014Food was good but my prime rib was small and relatively tasteless. Nice wine list and servers were all friendly. They are trying to be a high end steak house but in my view fall just short. I think Texas Roadhouse is a better value for good steaks in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Awesome service.HdfaberDined on 6/14/2014The food was great...everything from the bread to the desert. Must try the Gouda Mac and cheese. A little pricey, but worth it! We sat in the wine room and it was gorgeous! Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- US Open DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014A very quality and delightful restaurant. Our service from Switzerland was outstanding. He did an excellent job of making our visit even more special. John LawrenceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the price, food nothing specialnewintownDined on 6/14/2014My steak was OK but certainly nothing special for the $$ paid. Same goes for spinach salad--very ordinary. Frankly, the best part of the meal was the bread and the cheesecake we had for dessert. I'd heard a lot about this restaurant and was rather disappointed.Special Features: