Southern Inn Restaurant
37 South Main Street
Lexington, VA 24450Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Southern Inn Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southerninn.com/
- Phone: 5404633612
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: George Huger
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Southern Inn Catering prides itself on providing individualized menus to meet the needs of your unique event. Our menus range from stationed buffets and plated dinners to boxed lunches and deli trays. Let us help you create a menu for your next dinner party, cocktail party, wedding reception, business meeting or picnic.
A word from Southern Inn Restaurant
Located in Historic Lexington, Virginia, Southern Inn Restaurant is a successful mix of casual, but elegant dining. Proprietors George (chef) and Sue Ann Huger offer a contemporary, seasonal menu utilizing local produce, meats and other products, as well as fresh seafood and in-house baked goods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Southern Inn Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Lexington ›
Southern Inn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (51)neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (43)romantic (25)notable wine list (21)good for groups (18)great for lunch (18)great for brunch (17)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- C Diehl Charlottesville, VADiehlMeInnDined on 9/26/2014It is our favorite restaurant in Lexington! The bar is inviting and cozy.Special Features:
- Reliably GoodHpk2020Dined on 9/20/2014Good food every time. Service a little slow tonight but it was an extra busy weekend. Mixed drinks are also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good mealbubbleDined on 9/20/2014Service is always courteous and attentive! The food preparation and presentation is never disappointing.Special Features:
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Was in town for a 4-H horse event and are at Southern Inn on a whim. Just a solid/great choice for dinner. Was able to enjoy a couple of beers, entrees and my girlfriend, who usually shys away from dessert, got the creme brûlée. Thanks to all who worked that night especially Dan of your waitstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IKnowWhatILike2Dined on 9/12/2014Overall, the experience was good. Visiting my daughter at W&L, I had been referred to the restaurant. The place was very busy and the waitress was doing her best to keep up. I had the duck breast which was a bit under seasoned. Salads were well prepared. Atmosphere was pleasant, located downtown Lexington. I did not have a chance to visit the bar which looked inviting. The wine list was limited by some standards but did in a pinch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern GemFoodie6Dined on 9/6/2014My son is a Rat at Virginia Military Institute and we found out about this place through an Internet search...At first I thought it was a FANCY restaurant and would be OVERPRICED! Well, let me tell you....it IS 5 STAR dining WITHTOUT the 5 Star Price. My husband had their FAMOUS FRIED chicken...Let me tell you that was about as moist as moist can be and boneless...The meal was fabulous food for my Rat and his Mentor...they ATE up a storm. Cant wait to go back to VMI and the Southern InnSpecial Features:
- First time to LexingtonLucyPugDined on 9/5/2014Great, staff was lovely & all deserts are made in house!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEMcVIPDined on 9/5/2014This was our second visit as our son has just started at W&L. We love the Southern Inn ! Although the restaurant was busy, we were seated right away and made to feel welcome. We had a great meal and and the service was fabulous. Also want to compliment the Southern Inn chardonnay--delish. We look forward to being back again next month and in the years to come !Special Features:
- Charleston8523Dined on 9/5/2014Good food and ambience. Nice wine selection and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerHoneymooners2Dined on 8/29/2014My husband and I came here on our honeymoon so we wanted to relive the meal on our 2nd anniversary. ( on our 1st anniversary I tried to prepare the same meal; edible but not the same). The menu had changed a little but the unique flavor we remembered was still there! Plan to return when in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Empty nesters dropping off last kidJohnDined on 8/29/2014Great great neighborhood restaurant. Fantastic fried chicken but many other great entrees. Beautiful atmosphere. Friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotStewartDined on 8/26/2014Had a very nice Anniversary dinner. Many good choices on the menu and the service was great. It was a special occasion and they made sure we were seated as requested and even included complimentary Champagne. The food was solid and the service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Saturday night dinner with wifeSayOneDined on 8/23/2014Southern Inn never disappoints. From the fried green tomatoes, salad, locally sourced sirloin, crab cakes and chocolate torte for dessert, consistently delicious as always. SI is our go to favorite hometown restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and quaint!luvgoodfoodDined on 8/22/2014The foods was fabulous! I'd go back in a heart beat! the wait staff was very knowledgable and the specials were fantastic!Special Features:
- Another Gr8 Southern Inn ExperiencecharlestondiningfanVIPDined on 8/22/2014We love the Southern Inn and try to dine there at least once every time we're in Lexington, VA visiting the Virginia Military Institute (I'm a grad). The food, service, and vibe are all great! Highly-recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VMI new familySusieMDined on 8/22/20143rd time here...first was looking at VMI as a junior, 2nd was for ROTC interview and this time was the night before Matriculation. It was a lovely experience. It was only a bit too noisy because we were seated by the bar area. Otherwise, just love it here!Special Features:
- College Town ParentsluvgoodfoodDined on 8/22/2014First time to the SIR the night before dropping our son at college. Very accommodating when we asked to bumped our party of to a party of 5. I know thats hard in the restaurant business, especially on a very busy Friday night. Food, cocktails and wine were all wonderful. With four years of college to go...we will be back for sure.Special Features:
- Wonderful FindTmccafferyDined on 8/22/2014I had been told about the Southern Inn by a client and it was everything he said about it-- AND MORE. An outstanding dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern InnVMImomDined on 8/22/2014Service was impeccable and I was impressed with the wine list and mixed drinks offered. Our food is always good and we love the neighborhood feel.Special Features:
- Excellent Southern ClassicsFoodfindsDined on 8/21/2014Excellent food and service, but don't let them seat you in the bar unless you are one of the loud obnoxious drunks. That said, I will return. Try the baked brie starter and the pecan pie (best I have ever had). Great southern classics and other interesting entree creations using fresh local ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKwantitspecialDined on 8/14/2014busy and OK food, but you get what you pay for... didn't really impress.
- Lexington JewelexroadwarriorDined on 8/11/2014We don't live in Lexington but when our travels take us there this in one of our go to places.Special Features:
- Great food & service, ok atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Both the food and service are outstanding. The atmosphere however is not very private.Special Features:
- Delicious, Attn 2 detail, DelightflDnJRecommendDined on 7/31/2014Our server was extremely attentive. He returned regularly, yet not overly so. The trout was done just so and an ample portion. My sirloin also, was well presented and delicious. Save room for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentSallyDined on 7/28/2014The service here is the best in town too, as is the food, every time we go!Special Features:
- Nice placeClairebDined on 7/26/2014The food is good and the service is great! However the waitress could have been better in terms of description. We were a little bit disappointed about what she described and what we received (quantity description).Special Features:
- Perfect Way To End The DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014My wife and I drove from Nashville, TB to Lexington on our way to Norfolk. We stopped overnight in Lexington and wanted a nice, relaxing spot for dinner. The Southern Inn Restaurant was a happy choice. Our martinis were superb. The dood was delicious. We ordered a roasted beet salad, baked brie, shrimp and grits, and grilled pork loin. We ate evry bite. Good food is enhanced by good service and the wait staff was attentive and pleasant. We definitely will be back!Special Features:
- Much nicer on the InsidengzaxDined on 7/14/2014This place doesn't look like much from the street, but the food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014This place was amazing. Glad we found it. Service was excellent. Food was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food; accommodated kidsDougDined on 7/11/2014Very nice meal as a bit of a splurge on my vacation with my ten and twelve year old kids. Service was great except I believe the waiter forgot to give the daily specials. They made the trout plain like my daughter likes, and a burger exactly to my son's liking. My scallops were fantastic. Desserts were very good, but no espresso was available. They comped the regular coffee though. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific discoveryTeeeVIPDined on 7/4/2014Highlight of the visit was our perky young waiter who accommodated our every request. Food was superb. Only downside--just a little too noisy for regular conversation.Special Features:
- SpontaneousMrPotatoHeadVIPDined on 7/4/2014Came here from a location with many 5-star restaurants. This did not match up. However, was a good value, good presentation, and good facilities and service. Solid 4-pointer.Special Features:
- nice stoptitoVIPDined on 7/3/2014Driving to Nashville, thank you open table.. found a nice little gem on the road...Special Features:
- I love this place!MemphisgalDined on 7/3/2014Make sure to visit the Southern Inn anytime you're in Lexington! Great food, great service. A favorite of mine.Special Features:
- Great in lots of ways.ottawa1028Dined on 6/26/2014On Main Street in Lexington for lots of years, Southern Inn has history, local offerings, a respectable variety of menu and it is good. Our party had fish stew, calves liver and fried chicken. Only surprise was chicken was boneless. It was a wonderful dining experience start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, Great service!JFB4VIPDined on 6/23/2014On a recent road trip we stopped in Lexington for dinner - Open Table pointed us to the Southern Inn - Amazing! I had the fried chicken and my wife had the trout - The chicken was the best I have ever had! My wife said the trout was great, but stopped short of saying it was excellent due to all the little trout bones (The trout's fault, not the Inn!) The decor was charming and the wait staff was quick and attentive. We will certainly stop here next time we pass through the area.Special Features:
- happycoupleDined on 6/23/2014Friendly service, great choice of entrees, delicious food and the desserts are a must! The complimentary champagne to commemorate our anniversary was an added plus !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time to Catch UpOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014My sister from MD and I (from TN) selected this restaurant to have dinner and catch up the last years. Mentioned that in reserving and the Southern Inn delivered. Special thanks to KP, our server, who we will NEVER forget. She surpassed every expectation; sweet, kind and smart as can be. Everyone was great and we want to say THANK YOU for making it a very special time. Been to 4 of the great ones in Lexington...Brix, Bistro on Main, Haywoods and Southern Inn. All were great but the Inn went out of their way in a very subtle way. Again, thank you all, we will definitely be coming back on our next visit and will make sure to spread the great news about The Southern Inn. Regards, Louise StumpSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DurhamVIPDined on 6/19/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here. Not the issue of too large portions as some others have suggested. Just really good food. Our server was spectacular in his info and working with specific questions and directions. We were pleased to find Chilean and Argentinian wines here which we have grown to love after our trip to those countries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatoutDined on 6/15/2014Food was great as well as the service. We got there just before it got crowded so the staff had more time to spend with us. It was getting very busy by the time we left but customers looked like they were being taken care of just as well.Special Features: