Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
645 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southernhospitalitybbq.com/
- Phone: (212) 265-1000
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed:
12:00 pm - 12:00 am
Thu - Fri:
12:00 pm - 1:00 am
Sat - Sun:
11:30 am - 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Frank Debons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We have three separate private dining areas, that can accommodate groups from 20-300 people. Our event planners will be happy to develop a menu and beverage package to suit you needs.
- Cross Street: 45th Street
- Public Transit: We are a few blocks away from Times Square and the Port Authority.
The following subways lines stop nearby: A, C, E, 1, 2, 3 N, R, M, S
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking lots nearby. The closest is right around the corner on 45th street between 9th and 10 Avenues.
A word from Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY is an authentic Memphis-Style BBQ restaurant and bar. We boast some of the finest southern food found this side of the Mason Dixon Line. We feature traditional specialties including Dry Rubbed BBQ Ribs, Sweet and Sticky Baby Back Ribs, Crispy Southern Fried Chicken, Fried Pickles, and Mac & Cheese that you'll never forget. Our Southern fare is complimented by juicy corn fed Steaks, grilled jumbo Gulf Shrimp with Rosemary Grits, and lighter fare like our Watercress and Praline Salad, and Grilled Salmon with Black Eyed Peas. In addition to our fine cuisine, we offer a full line of draft beers, an extensive list of sipping tequilas, and over 50 of the Country's finest Bourbons. World renown wine expert, Gary Vaynerchuk, has hand selected an eclectic wine list that pairs beautifully with our diverse menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Hell's Kitchen ›
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (71)neighborhood gem (48)great for lunch (41)great for brunch (39)fit for foodies (35)vibrant bar scene (32)hot spot (29)late-night find (26)kid-friendly (25)special occasion (10)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Lively restaurant playing decent music but let down by average food. Well overpriced for the quality of food they were serving. Servers were attentive and helpful.
- good food poor seatsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Was recommend this place by friends cant fault food but had the coldest seat in the place husband couldn't take his coat off was ice cold and we asked to be moved however they said they were fully booked! Disappointed as the food was good just could not relax and enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No soup or decafOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/19/2014My friends and I went for lunch on a very cold day. We all got chili because it was the closest thing to soup ( which is what we really wanted but they didn't have ). It was pretty good and warmed us up. We had time to kill before seeing a show, and wanted to order coffee and tea, but they didn't have any decaf. No decaf coffee. No decaf tea. Who doesn't have a decaf tea bag at the least to give patrons who don't want caffeine?!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service was horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I went with a group of five people and all of us had excellent food. Unfortunately, our waitress was rude and ruined the experience for us. She barely came back to our table and when she did, she either ignored us when we asked for something or seemed very inconvenienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!MamaBears88Dined on 11/14/2014Sweet Tea Martini was the best! We loved the food and the ambience was great. A really fun place with a great bartender! Plenty of food with each serving! We left stuffed with plenty of leftovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good pricesPerfectVIPDined on 11/12/2014Had a good meal here. Pulled pork sandwich with French fries. Only issue was getting waiter service, but once we brought the issue to the manager's attention, a server came straightaway.
- BluegrassbluegrassDined on 11/9/2014They advertise a Bluegrass brunch. And there is a band, a very good one at that. However, it is impossible to hear them and we sat 10 feet away. Not sure why they bother. The rest of the restaurant surely could not hear a thing, especially the more folks drinking.Special Features:
- Great food, good times!Kentuni65Dined on 11/8/2014Had a fantastic meal here on the last night of our holiday. Ribs were to die for and loved the atmosphere. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseCrisDined on 11/8/2014I was pleasantly surprised with the portions and taste of the food. Lots of choices even if you are not a carnivoreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so sunnyBrunchheavenDined on 11/8/2014My eggs Benedict were over cooked! More like harboil eggs, I didn't want to ruin my experience with my guest so I didn't complain but I wish I wish I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with my girlfriendBrunchDateDined on 11/8/2014The brunch was solid. I read about this place on Thrillist, so I decided to bring my girlfriend here on a brunch date. Luckily I made reservations because it got very full. Our server was very polite and our busboy was really attentive and took care of anything we needed from a wobbly table to more sugar for our coffee. The food was like a southern style fusion. I really enjoyed hte southern benedict, the slice of brisket and fried green tomato really just gave it a new twist I never would've thought of.Special Features:
- 4ctpwDined on 11/1/2014Food was very mediocre. The brisket was dry. The fried green tomatoes tasted like fried anything. The ribs were ok, but there was no hot sauce.
- Fun PlaceAdSmithVIPDined on 11/1/2014Not for dieters, SH is a good place to go to get in a good mood. The service, food and ambiance are all exciting and when we were there, there was a band playing southern music. It's not a quiet place but it's a fun space. The menu is done well and the drinks are good. Nice find, as it's not a typical Manhattan place!Special Features:
- Lovely chilled diningKerryamaDined on 10/29/2014Loved the chilled vibe from this place and the food was a treat! The sweetcorn and cheese side dish was addictive! I would have loved more chocked options on the menu though but this wasnt a big deal. The waitress was a lovely young lady and was attentive without being full on. She put a love heart around the tip percentage options...cuteness :D the cocktails went down a treat aswell. Would recommend this place to friends in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical southern foodAnonymousVIPDined on 10/19/2014This is one of your typical southern & BBQ restaurants where you can't go wrong eating here but you also won't find anything special. The nachos with pulled pork was surprisingly good, but then the brisket that I had were only thin strips and somewhat dry. I'd say to come here to grab a cold one and some finger food but don't expect to be blown away.Special Features:
- Not as great as expected...BubblesDined on 10/18/2014My fiancé and I went here for brunch on a Saturday and waited more than a half hour to get our food. During that wait time, the waitress never asked us how we were doing, only after we finally got the food, someone checked-in with us. The food was also not as great either...my fiancé ordered the pulled pork burrito and barely had any pulled pork in it. It was mostly stuffed with eggs and for the price we paid for that, we would've expected a lot more pork. Overall I feel like the place needs to definitely improve its service.
- Spot on SouthernFourontourDined on 10/10/2014Arrived at allocated time and seated immediately. Host Laura was very helpful explaining the dishes and portion size. Having not experienced a BBQ US style before we have limited scope for comparison however the ribs, chicken and sausages in the Kings Feast were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super recommendationUKtouristinNYC14Dined on 10/6/2014Southern hospitality recommended by a friend who's a NYC resident, she wasn't wrong! A little off our established territory as tourists, so we might have missed it otherwise. We made a reservation online and arrived to find our table waiting. Meeting our friend who we hadn't seen for some months we chatted a little longer than maybe we should, but our server was patient and accommodating. He explained the different beers on the menu and made excellent recommendations for us. Then came the food! OMG delicious doesn't even start it! Pulled chicken, ribs, home made coleslaw, fries, corn bread, mac n cheese, beans, all perfectly prepared, served piping hot and mouth wateringly wonderful. Dessert? Go for the pecan pie, very sweet, but mmm!Special Features:
- Très convivialfrenchiesDined on 10/5/2014Un bon petit resto pour le midi, plats généreux et service agréable dans une ambiance très américaine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ohenryohenryVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food was good but i was surprised that the restaurant did not check me in when i was there. I am glad they fixed the problem with the open table and I was credited for being there thank you open table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placelockl11Dined on 10/2/2014Had dinner before theater. Food was great. Service was great. Can not wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location, average foodC4times3VIPDined on 9/30/2014Very convenient for pre- or post-theater. But, the food was just average although the portions were nice-sized.Special Features:
- First TimersoulfoodyDined on 9/26/2014The atmosphere was nice. The service was excellent. Will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be mindful of what you orderJWTKVIPDined on 9/21/2014Service was friendly and great, the name fits. The pulled pork was not very good. The spring roll appetizer was GREAT! The buffalo chicken mac n cheese was GREAT as well.
- Terrible Service. Good Food.foodfrenzyDined on 9/20/2014Service was terrible, but I enjoyed the food and ambiance. The waiter was inattentive even though he was only a few feet away. Try the fried green tomatoes and the sweet tea martini. You won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saturday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014It was a great time overall. It wasn't very busy and it was puzzling why the waitress was taking a bit longer than expected to check on us, and even bring the menu over again when asked for it. Overall, the food was amazing. Brunch was a treat here. The little dessert ice cream sandwiches were beloved and the drinks were great as well. Overall, I'd probably return, maybe not for brunch though. Also there was a live band playing which set the mood nicely.Special Features:
- Tasty!TheFabFiveDined on 9/13/2014Delicious BBQ ribs, pulled pork, brisket and tacos. Ice cold beverages. We dined with our 3 teenagers and everyone enjoyed their meal. Nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedDisappointedDined on 9/12/2014This was my 3rd visit to Southern Hospitality and I was so very disappointed. The menu was cut down from a nice sized book like menu to something you would be handed at a "fast dining" establishment. It was a two sided laminated "cheap" menu. In addition, the drink menu was done in the same fashion with all of five or six mixed drinks to choose all with basically same ingredients bourbon or whiskey. There was 1 drink that did not have this. When food came the quality was sub par. The brisket sandwhich was dry, overly smokey, and had globs of fat in it. I took two bites and could not eat anymore. The pulled pork was on a reg hamburger bun. Steak tips were not filet mignon by any means! Staff however were still great!
- Great Food!!Meliss0219Dined on 9/12/2014I always go to Southern Hospitality when I am in NYC. I love their fried pickles and margaritas. The food is reasonably priced and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchDoakVIPDined on 9/7/2014Have 4 other groups to brunch and they have all loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014On recommendation from a friend, we ate dinner here with a large group. Atmosphere was awesome! They would not let the table be seated until everyone was present, as is the custom at most NY eateries. That's fine - it's just with large groups trying to get to a destination in a large city, seems like restaurants would want to encourage parties to sit and offer them beverages or appetizers while they wait to "up-sale" the bill. As it was, we all stood in the doorway waiting for 15 minutes while our final arrival ran his way through NY city. There were 8 of us - 7 present - waiting for that last one to arrive ... seriously?? Food was good tho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING BBQ in fun settingSammyBDined on 9/2/2014The atmosphere is fun and the ribs are AMAZING. The menu is not huge, but what this place does, it does very well. Come every time I visit NYC and it never disappoints. The dry rubbed ribs, cornbread with honey butter are not to be missed. Also excellent cocktails. Limited wine by the glass selection, but glass of Malbec was very goodSpecial Features:
- Our favorite meal in NYC.Like2eatDined on 8/30/2014Very good food. We had the pork tacos, ribs (side/back, wet/dry rub combo, pulled pork sandwich). All generous portions. The corn bread was delicious. Service very friendly. We had our food within 15 minutes of ordering at 9:30pm on a Saturday night. We're not from the area but would recommend and go back of we ever had the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great down-home foodLuvtoeatDined on 8/30/2014Great food, decent portions and a friendly atmosphere. Everyone from the hostess to the server to the manager were pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food done rightSmb930Dined on 8/29/2014The food was amazing. Authentic southern cuisines and sides in right sized portions. Very delicious and well seasoned from the start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not disappoint!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Came here with a group of four on a Saturday night. Glad we made reservations, because it seemed pretty packed by 7 p.m. The food was excellent, and the drinks and dessert were great too! Our server checked on us a bunch and the food came out pretty quickly. This is definitely a great place to come with friends for some delicious barbeque.Special Features:
- JazzyDined on 8/20/2014The food took awhile to arrive, but I figured it was because of the macaroni and cheese I ordered. When it did arrive, my chicken was room temperature at best. My friend ordered the ribs and had the same complaint on top of the ribs being tough and tasteless. The highlight of the meal was Anthony our server. I was really disappointed as this was my birthday dinner
- NYC VacationEcowboyDined on 8/18/2014Great restaurant in Hells Kitchen. Only about a 10 minute walk from Times Square area. The décor is very nice, exposed brick and wood floors and ceilings. A very cool crowd but not over crowded like so many NYC restaurants. The locals were very friendly and struck up conversations with my family (myself, wife, 15 and 11 year old kids). The music was great and at a good volume where you can easily have conversations. Everything we ordered was great especially the fondue appetizer and the southern fried chicken. So tasty!Special Features:
- Great timeIljbDined on 8/17/2014Had an early dinner with my 3 daughters and each of us enjoyed our meal! We all agreed we have to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't hear music; iffy serviceAbg123Dined on 8/17/2014Priced reasonably for the area. There was a band playing and I couldn't hear them in the back corner of the restaurant. Small portions. Server mixed up a few drink orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.