Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
645 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southernhospitalitybbq.com/
- Phone: 2122651000
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed:
12:00 pm - 12:00 am
Thu - Fri:
12:00 pm - 1:00 am
Sat - Sun:
11:30 am - 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Frank Debons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We have three separate private dining areas, that can accommodate groups from 20-300 people. Our event planners will be happy to develop a menu and beverage package to suit you needs.
- Cross Street: 45th Street
- Public Transit: We are a few blocks away from Times Square and the Port Authority.
The following subways lines stop nearby: A, C, E, 1, 2, 3 N, R, M, S
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking lots nearby. The closest is right around the corner on 45th street between 9th and 10 Avenues.
A word from Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY is an authentic Memphis-Style BBQ restaurant and bar. We boast some of the finest southern food found this side of the Mason Dixon Line. We feature traditional specialties including Dry Rubbed BBQ Ribs, Sweet and Sticky Baby Back Ribs, Crispy Southern Fried Chicken, Fried Pickles, and Mac & Cheese that you'll never forget. Our Southern fare is complimented by juicy corn fed Steaks, grilled jumbo Gulf Shrimp with Rosemary Grits, and lighter fare like our Watercress and Praline Salad, and Grilled Salmon with Black Eyed Peas. In addition to our fine cuisine, we offer a full line of draft beers, an extensive list of sipping tequilas, and over 50 of the Country's finest Bourbons. World renown wine expert, Gary Vaynerchuk, has hand selected an eclectic wine list that pairs beautifully with our diverse menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Hell's Kitchen ›
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (60)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (41)fit for foodies (38)great for brunch (35)kid-friendly (26)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (24)late-night find (20)special occasion (12)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (5)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Typical southern foodAnonymousVIPDined on 10/19/2014This is one of your typical southern & BBQ restaurants where you can't go wrong eating here but you also won't find anything special. The nachos with pulled pork was surprisingly good, but then the brisket that I had were only thin strips and somewhat dry. I'd say to come here to grab a cold one and some finger food but don't expect to be blown away.Special Features:
- Not as great as expected...BubblesDined on 10/18/2014My fiancé and I went here for brunch on a Saturday and waited more than a half hour to get our food. During that wait time, the waitress never asked us how we were doing, only after we finally got the food, someone checked-in with us. The food was also not as great either...my fiancé ordered the pulled pork burrito and barely had any pulled pork in it. It was mostly stuffed with eggs and for the price we paid for that, we would've expected a lot more pork. Overall I feel like the place needs to definitely improve its service.
- Spot on SouthernFourontourDined on 10/10/2014Arrived at allocated time and seated immediately. Host Laura was very helpful explaining the dishes and portion size. Having not experienced a BBQ US style before we have limited scope for comparison however the ribs, chicken and sausages in the Kings Feast were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super recommendationUKtouristinNYC14Dined on 10/6/2014Southern hospitality recommended by a friend who's a NYC resident, she wasn't wrong! A little off our established territory as tourists, so we might have missed it otherwise. We made a reservation online and arrived to find our table waiting. Meeting our friend who we hadn't seen for some months we chatted a little longer than maybe we should, but our server was patient and accommodating. He explained the different beers on the menu and made excellent recommendations for us. Then came the food! OMG delicious doesn't even start it! Pulled chicken, ribs, home made coleslaw, fries, corn bread, mac n cheese, beans, all perfectly prepared, served piping hot and mouth wateringly wonderful. Dessert? Go for the pecan pie, very sweet, but mmm!Special Features:
- Très convivialfrenchiesDined on 10/5/2014Un bon petit resto pour le midi, plats généreux et service agréable dans une ambiance très américaine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ohenryohenryVIPDined on 10/3/2014The food was good but i was surprised that the restaurant did not check me in when i was there. I am glad they fixed the problem with the open table and I was credited for being there thank you open table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placelockl11Dined on 10/2/2014Had dinner before theater. Food was great. Service was great. Can not wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersoulfoodyDined on 9/26/2014The atmosphere was nice. The service was excellent. Will come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be mindful of what you orderJWTKVIPDined on 9/21/2014Service was friendly and great, the name fits. The pulled pork was not very good. The spring roll appetizer was GREAT! The buffalo chicken mac n cheese was GREAT as well.
- Terrible Service. Good Food.foodfrenzyDined on 9/20/2014Service was terrible, but I enjoyed the food and ambiance. The waiter was inattentive even though he was only a few feet away. Try the fried green tomatoes and the sweet tea martini. You won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saturday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014It was a great time overall. It wasn't very busy and it was puzzling why the waitress was taking a bit longer than expected to check on us, and even bring the menu over again when asked for it. Overall, the food was amazing. Brunch was a treat here. The little dessert ice cream sandwiches were beloved and the drinks were great as well. Overall, I'd probably return, maybe not for brunch though. Also there was a live band playing which set the mood nicely.Special Features:
- Tasty!TheFabFiveDined on 9/13/2014Delicious BBQ ribs, pulled pork, brisket and tacos. Ice cold beverages. We dined with our 3 teenagers and everyone enjoyed their meal. Nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedDisappointedDined on 9/12/2014This was my 3rd visit to Southern Hospitality and I was so very disappointed. The menu was cut down from a nice sized book like menu to something you would be handed at a "fast dining" establishment. It was a two sided laminated "cheap" menu. In addition, the drink menu was done in the same fashion with all of five or six mixed drinks to choose all with basically same ingredients bourbon or whiskey. There was 1 drink that did not have this. When food came the quality was sub par. The brisket sandwhich was dry, overly smokey, and had globs of fat in it. I took two bites and could not eat anymore. The pulled pork was on a reg hamburger bun. Steak tips were not filet mignon by any means! Staff however were still great!
- Great Food!!Meliss0219Dined on 9/12/2014I always go to Southern Hospitality when I am in NYC. I love their fried pickles and margaritas. The food is reasonably priced and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchDoakVIPDined on 9/7/2014Have 4 other groups to brunch and they have all loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014On recommendation from a friend, we ate dinner here with a large group. Atmosphere was awesome! They would not let the table be seated until everyone was present, as is the custom at most NY eateries. That's fine - it's just with large groups trying to get to a destination in a large city, seems like restaurants would want to encourage parties to sit and offer them beverages or appetizers while they wait to "up-sale" the bill. As it was, we all stood in the doorway waiting for 15 minutes while our final arrival ran his way through NY city. There were 8 of us - 7 present - waiting for that last one to arrive ... seriously?? Food was good tho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING BBQ in fun settingSammyBDined on 9/2/2014The atmosphere is fun and the ribs are AMAZING. The menu is not huge, but what this place does, it does very well. Come every time I visit NYC and it never disappoints. The dry rubbed ribs, cornbread with honey butter are not to be missed. Also excellent cocktails. Limited wine by the glass selection, but glass of Malbec was very goodSpecial Features:
- Our favorite meal in NYC.Like2eatDined on 8/30/2014Very good food. We had the pork tacos, ribs (side/back, wet/dry rub combo, pulled pork sandwich). All generous portions. The corn bread was delicious. Service very friendly. We had our food within 15 minutes of ordering at 9:30pm on a Saturday night. We're not from the area but would recommend and go back of we ever had the chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great down-home foodLuvtoeatDined on 8/30/2014Great food, decent portions and a friendly atmosphere. Everyone from the hostess to the server to the manager were pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food done rightSmb930Dined on 8/29/2014The food was amazing. Authentic southern cuisines and sides in right sized portions. Very delicious and well seasoned from the start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not disappoint!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Came here with a group of four on a Saturday night. Glad we made reservations, because it seemed pretty packed by 7 p.m. The food was excellent, and the drinks and dessert were great too! Our server checked on us a bunch and the food came out pretty quickly. This is definitely a great place to come with friends for some delicious barbeque.Special Features:
- JazzyDined on 8/20/2014The food took awhile to arrive, but I figured it was because of the macaroni and cheese I ordered. When it did arrive, my chicken was room temperature at best. My friend ordered the ribs and had the same complaint on top of the ribs being tough and tasteless. The highlight of the meal was Anthony our server. I was really disappointed as this was my birthday dinner
- NYC VacationEcowboyDined on 8/18/2014Great restaurant in Hells Kitchen. Only about a 10 minute walk from Times Square area. The décor is very nice, exposed brick and wood floors and ceilings. A very cool crowd but not over crowded like so many NYC restaurants. The locals were very friendly and struck up conversations with my family (myself, wife, 15 and 11 year old kids). The music was great and at a good volume where you can easily have conversations. Everything we ordered was great especially the fondue appetizer and the southern fried chicken. So tasty!Special Features:
- Great timeIljbDined on 8/17/2014Had an early dinner with my 3 daughters and each of us enjoyed our meal! We all agreed we have to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't hear music; iffy serviceAbg123Dined on 8/17/2014Priced reasonably for the area. There was a band playing and I couldn't hear them in the back corner of the restaurant. Small portions. Server mixed up a few drink orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KarenDined on 8/17/2014Went to brunch with some friends and had a really great experience. Food was awesome and the staff was very attentive. We did the bottomless mimosas and I feel that we definitely got our moneys worth. I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Amazing RibsSuzyNYCDined on 8/16/2014I was torn between the baby back & memphis style ribs so I got the rib sampler which had both & I was not disappointed. Both were fall off the bone tender and seasoned to perfection. It was A LOT of meat tho & my husband got a nice doggie bag of leftovers. The sides could be better, the mashed potatoes weren't as creamy as I like & the mac & cheese was pretty standard. So nothing special about the sides. Having been here before just for dessert I knew the pecan pie was going to be too much for me after all the meat so I chose to get a mini ice cream sandwich. The salted caramel was the right amount of salted & the vanilla cookies were soft & chewy. GET THE PECAN PIE, ala mode if you can, its the best pecan pie I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!!!Kiso20Dined on 8/16/2014Omg the fries are amazing!!! And so was everything else!! My first meal in New York and it was unforgettable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnercomfort47Dined on 8/16/2014Shrimp and grits were awesome and my friend had the pulled pork and said it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!MB17Dined on 8/10/2014Went for bottomless brunch and it was a great deal for the brisket and eggs and bottomless mimosas. Really fast service and a great waitress. Would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Double date brunchdoubledateDined on 8/9/2014This past saturday me and my friends patronized Southern Hospitality. The food was superb and kudos to the waitress that kept the screwdrivers flowing. First time visiting the place and not the last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, friendly atmospheretarebear13Dined on 8/7/2014Made a reservation via the Open Table app for 8pm. Arrived at 7:50 and got seated right away! The menu wasn't priced unreasonably in my opinion and it had a good variety of options to choose from. I got the "half chicken" and to my surprise it consisted of about 4 pieces of chicken! Chicken had a cinnamon/spice factor to it, I had never had anything like it. Mashed potatoes and brown gravy came with it and I substituted mac and cheese instead of coleslaw. All of it was delicious! Felt like I was in the south right in the middle of New York City. Friends got the buffalo mac and cheese and cheeseburger. They all were happy with their dishes as well. I'd highly recommend!Special Features:
- DisappointingShariDined on 8/7/2014We went here because we love BBQ and the whole experience was terrible. The food came in five minutes -obviously had sat under warmers because it wasn't warmed through and the wrong food came ( chicken). By the time we got the right chicken, after the second try, our sides were done. It was awful. Will not go back.
- nope.EmilyzhDined on 8/7/2014Justin Timberlake is a very talented musician - he should stick to that. This was not great. only one type of bbq sauce, they forgot an entree, and nothing was memorable, at all. Not even a good cole slaw, burger, or wing. Disappointed. Our waiter was nice, the corner location was great. we were seated quickly, and the table was large, the ambience was fun, it had a good vibe for a family/theatre night, or a beer outside. Those are the plusses. But really, not even a good french fry, rib, or nacho? The deviled egg was fine.Special Features:
- Great Food!stephensfam23Dined on 8/3/2014Definitely do brunch!!! The Beef Brisket Hash was really good as was the Bourbon Vanilla French Toast. And do go for the bottomless mimosas!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great random find!2forCryssaDined on 8/2/2014I found this place just trying to find a place to eat with my boyfriend. This really made the night great! We both got the ribs and did not regret it one bit. The mac & cheese was wonderful but mash potatoes weren't anything to shout about. We both got dessert and it was a great end to the meal. The banana pudding & Chocolate molten lava cake were delightful! The service was excellent and it was a great atmosphere for a casual date. All & all I am defiantly coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Not So Great ServiceNYCNightOwl89Dined on 8/2/2014I was excited to try out Justin Timverlake Resturant & while the food was great, the service not so much. Our server never asked if we were okay. I was charged for a lemonade (which was too sour) that I took one sip of. It took forever to get a coke, which was my replacement drink. The icing on the cake was she charged the wrong cards at the end of the night. It wasn't a busy night so was hard to understand why we were neglected. Once again the food was amazing. It's a great little spot if you are looking for southern food. Give it a try. Your experience will be different from mineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQtexasgirlVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great find for quality BBQ in NYC! Food was delicious and came out in less than 15 minutes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely Disappointing!bearcubDined on 8/2/2014Dear JT- if you are going to put your money and your name behind a restaurant, wouldn't you want the quality of the food to be minimally acceptable! The ribs were dry and tasteless and French fries soggy, not to mention the inedible "vegetable medley" that came with one of our meals. Consisting of broccoli, green beans and peppers, these were obviously not fresh, and had been cooked so much that they were grey and mushy! While the whole meal wasn't worth the price, I must mention that the fried green tomato appetizer for $8.95 contained only 2 tomato slices, each cut in half to give the appearance of 4 pieces, for that incredibly steep price! Over $300 total for a party of 7. We won't go here again unless the reviews improve considerably!
- Pete from Jerseytdp0rDined on 8/2/2014Service was great. Riley our waitress was very friendly, cordial and helpful. Some very unique offerings which were delicious. The mac & cheese spring rolls and the sweet corn with what I beleive were parsley and a romano cheese on top were delicious. Had wet and dry ribs, the dry ribs were far superior. The wet were a tad dry.Special Features: