Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
645 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southernhospitalitybbq.com/
- Phone: 2122651000
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Wed:
12:00 pm - 12:00 am
Thu - Fri:
12:00 pm - 1:00 am
Sat - Sun:
11:30 am - 1:00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Frank Debons
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: We have three separate private dining areas, that can accommodate groups from 20-300 people. Our event planners will be happy to develop a menu and beverage package to suit you needs.
- Cross Street: 45th Street
- Public Transit: We are a few blocks away from Times Square and the Port Authority.
The following subways lines stop nearby: A, C, E, 1, 2, 3 N, R, M, S
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking lots nearby. The closest is right around the corner on 45th street between 9th and 10 Avenues.
A word from Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen
SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY is an authentic Memphis-Style BBQ restaurant and bar. We boast some of the finest southern food found this side of the Mason Dixon Line. We feature traditional specialties including Dry Rubbed BBQ Ribs, Sweet and Sticky Baby Back Ribs, Crispy Southern Fried Chicken, Fried Pickles, and Mac & Cheese that you'll never forget. Our Southern fare is complimented by juicy corn fed Steaks, grilled jumbo Gulf Shrimp with Rosemary Grits, and lighter fare like our Watercress and Praline Salad, and Grilled Salmon with Black Eyed Peas. In addition to our fine cuisine, we offer a full line of draft beers, an extensive list of sipping tequilas, and over 50 of the Country's finest Bourbons. World renown wine expert, Gary Vaynerchuk, has hand selected an eclectic wine list that pairs beautifully with our diverse menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Hell's Kitchen ›
Southern Hospitality - Hell's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (56)neighborhood gem (46)great for lunch (45)great for brunch (39)fit for foodies (29)vibrant bar scene (27)hot spot (26)kid-friendly (22)special occasion (19)late-night find (18)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Does not disappoint!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Came here with a group of four on a Saturday night. Glad we made reservations, because it seemed pretty packed by 7 p.m. The food was excellent, and the drinks and dessert were great too! Our server checked on us a bunch and the food came out pretty quickly. This is definitely a great place to come with friends for some delicious barbeque.Special Features:
- JazzyDined on 8/20/2014The food took awhile to arrive, but I figured it was because of the macaroni and cheese I ordered. When it did arrive, my chicken was room temperature at best. My friend ordered the ribs and had the same complaint on top of the ribs being tough and tasteless. The highlight of the meal was Anthony our server. I was really disappointed as this was my birthday dinner
- NYC VacationEcowboyDined on 8/18/2014Great restaurant in Hells Kitchen. Only about a 10 minute walk from Times Square area. The décor is very nice, exposed brick and wood floors and ceilings. A very cool crowd but not over crowded like so many NYC restaurants. The locals were very friendly and struck up conversations with my family (myself, wife, 15 and 11 year old kids). The music was great and at a good volume where you can easily have conversations. Everything we ordered was great especially the fondue appetizer and the southern fried chicken. So tasty!Special Features:
- Great timeIljbDined on 8/17/2014Had an early dinner with my 3 daughters and each of us enjoyed our meal! We all agreed we have to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't hear music; iffy serviceAbg123Dined on 8/17/2014Priced reasonably for the area. There was a band playing and I couldn't hear them in the back corner of the restaurant. Small portions. Server mixed up a few drink orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KarenDined on 8/17/2014Went to brunch with some friends and had a really great experience. Food was awesome and the staff was very attentive. We did the bottomless mimosas and I feel that we definitely got our moneys worth. I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Amazing RibsSuzyNYCDined on 8/16/2014I was torn between the baby back & memphis style ribs so I got the rib sampler which had both & I was not disappointed. Both were fall off the bone tender and seasoned to perfection. It was A LOT of meat tho & my husband got a nice doggie bag of leftovers. The sides could be better, the mashed potatoes weren't as creamy as I like & the mac & cheese was pretty standard. So nothing special about the sides. Having been here before just for dessert I knew the pecan pie was going to be too much for me after all the meat so I chose to get a mini ice cream sandwich. The salted caramel was the right amount of salted & the vanilla cookies were soft & chewy. GET THE PECAN PIE, ala mode if you can, its the best pecan pie I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!!!Kiso20Dined on 8/16/2014Omg the fries are amazing!!! And so was everything else!! My first meal in New York and it was unforgettable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnercomfort47Dined on 8/16/2014Shrimp and grits were awesome and my friend had the pulled pork and said it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!MB17Dined on 8/10/2014Went for bottomless brunch and it was a great deal for the brisket and eggs and bottomless mimosas. Really fast service and a great waitress. Would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Double date brunchdoubledateDined on 8/9/2014This past saturday me and my friends patronized Southern Hospitality. The food was superb and kudos to the waitress that kept the screwdrivers flowing. First time visiting the place and not the last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, friendly atmospheretarebear13Dined on 8/7/2014Made a reservation via the Open Table app for 8pm. Arrived at 7:50 and got seated right away! The menu wasn't priced unreasonably in my opinion and it had a good variety of options to choose from. I got the "half chicken" and to my surprise it consisted of about 4 pieces of chicken! Chicken had a cinnamon/spice factor to it, I had never had anything like it. Mashed potatoes and brown gravy came with it and I substituted mac and cheese instead of coleslaw. All of it was delicious! Felt like I was in the south right in the middle of New York City. Friends got the buffalo mac and cheese and cheeseburger. They all were happy with their dishes as well. I'd highly recommend!Special Features:
- DisappointingShariDined on 8/7/2014We went here because we love BBQ and the whole experience was terrible. The food came in five minutes -obviously had sat under warmers because it wasn't warmed through and the wrong food came ( chicken). By the time we got the right chicken, after the second try, our sides were done. It was awful. Will not go back.
- nope.EmilyzhDined on 8/7/2014Justin Timberlake is a very talented musician - he should stick to that. This was not great. only one type of bbq sauce, they forgot an entree, and nothing was memorable, at all. Not even a good cole slaw, burger, or wing. Disappointed. Our waiter was nice, the corner location was great. we were seated quickly, and the table was large, the ambience was fun, it had a good vibe for a family/theatre night, or a beer outside. Those are the plusses. But really, not even a good french fry, rib, or nacho? The deviled egg was fine.Special Features:
- Great Food!stephensfam23Dined on 8/3/2014Definitely do brunch!!! The Beef Brisket Hash was really good as was the Bourbon Vanilla French Toast. And do go for the bottomless mimosas!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great random find!2forCryssaDined on 8/2/2014I found this place just trying to find a place to eat with my boyfriend. This really made the night great! We both got the ribs and did not regret it one bit. The mac & cheese was wonderful but mash potatoes weren't anything to shout about. We both got dessert and it was a great end to the meal. The banana pudding & Chocolate molten lava cake were delightful! The service was excellent and it was a great atmosphere for a casual date. All & all I am defiantly coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Not So Great ServiceNYCNightOwl89Dined on 8/2/2014I was excited to try out Justin Timverlake Resturant & while the food was great, the service not so much. Our server never asked if we were okay. I was charged for a lemonade (which was too sour) that I took one sip of. It took forever to get a coke, which was my replacement drink. The icing on the cake was she charged the wrong cards at the end of the night. It wasn't a busy night so was hard to understand why we were neglected. Once again the food was amazing. It's a great little spot if you are looking for southern food. Give it a try. Your experience will be different from mineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBQtexasgirlVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great find for quality BBQ in NYC! Food was delicious and came out in less than 15 minutes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely Disappointing!bearcubDined on 8/2/2014Dear JT- if you are going to put your money and your name behind a restaurant, wouldn't you want the quality of the food to be minimally acceptable! The ribs were dry and tasteless and French fries soggy, not to mention the inedible "vegetable medley" that came with one of our meals. Consisting of broccoli, green beans and peppers, these were obviously not fresh, and had been cooked so much that they were grey and mushy! While the whole meal wasn't worth the price, I must mention that the fried green tomato appetizer for $8.95 contained only 2 tomato slices, each cut in half to give the appearance of 4 pieces, for that incredibly steep price! Over $300 total for a party of 7. We won't go here again unless the reviews improve considerably!
- Pete from Jerseytdp0rDined on 8/2/2014Service was great. Riley our waitress was very friendly, cordial and helpful. Some very unique offerings which were delicious. The mac & cheese spring rolls and the sweet corn with what I beleive were parsley and a romano cheese on top were delicious. Had wet and dry ribs, the dry ribs were far superior. The wet were a tad dry.Special Features:
- BrunchRaniDined on 8/2/2014Be sure to have reservations! This place is packed for brunch. Great food but slow on service. Don't be in a rush to get in and get out because you'll most likely end up there for 3+ hours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern BirthdayBirthdayDinerDined on 8/1/2014Me and my boyfriend went to Southern hospitality for my birthday. The food was great! The waitress was very attentive - she brought me a birthday dessert not because my boyfriend put her up to it, but because she noticed it was my birthday when she checked my ID. I was pretty impressed with her attention to detail and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No SubstitutionsPaulVIPDined on 8/1/2014.....at all, never. Waitress was adequate but the food was better. Not a destination but we were in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Ok experienceonieDined on 7/31/2014Well this is my second time going to southern hospitality, I went there years ago and wasn't impressed by the food. My favorite item was the banana pudding. Fast forward to today and I have the same feeling, I ordered the pulled pork platter in with I found the pork to be dry, the smoky beans were ok nothing to write home about. The bacon mac n cheese was really good. In all actually I was going to order the bacon mac n cheese as my main course and pay for a scoop of pulled pork but the platter seemed more cost effective $18.95 as opposed to $16.95 for the mac n cheese plus $2.00 to add bacon, plus $6.95 for a scoop of pulled pork. The banana pudding is still my favorite, however the meal wasn't impressive to me to meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, people and time.ItsonlymaeDined on 7/27/2014I had the pulled pork sandwich and I was not let down. To drink I had an arnald paulmer and it was right in line. My friends had the chicken sandwich and fried pickles. No one had any complaints and everyone was happy with the choice if restraunt. We all left happy and very full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food great servicebruce22Dined on 7/26/2014Food was good but it could have been served hotter. The server Rylee was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After Show MealHarlemhustler1Dined on 7/26/2014The Food Was Okay, Service Was Fast, and Ambience was decent, good location. Healthy Size Servings. It was enjoyableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat tornJfoodieDined on 7/26/2014Ok I had a great brunch meal. The ambiance was great. The issue is my food didn't come. I'm unsure what happened but my friends food came out and mine wasn't served until about a half hour later. I told him he had to eat it because it was a sure to let it get cold after the first 10. Finally the waiter came and I asked about it and he rushed to figure out what had happened. Finally my good came out. It was excellent but 30 mins later than my partners, after we had already waited a good 35 mins for him to get served. I'm torn because out waiter was great. He was super busy and clearly was handling a lot but he kept checking up on drink refills (it was bottomless brunch) and he was super friendly. Clearly not his fault but unacceptableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- southern comfortbuddyloveDined on 7/25/2014I am from south and moved to NY about 10 years ago. I had this on my to list. Big fan of Justin's and good southern food. I went with my sister-friend and we had the for two sample entree (ribs,sausage, chicken and beef brisket) Mac and cheese and collard greens. Cornbread cakes were awesome. Fried tomatoes appetizers. Mango margaritas and seasonal sangria.. Prices were great and food was still good for leftovers. The rustic decor was comfortable and embracing. Will go back soon.Special Features:
- Nice placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Found this place online, was nt sure what I would find. We were pleasantly surprised. We had a variety entrees including salads, Mac n cheese, burgers and pulled pork. All were great. Not too expensive as well. A good choice for dinner.
- Will visit againTdro5300Dined on 7/21/2014Order southern nachos with chicken sausage. I am a Memphian and I enjoyed this southern restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't try hard enoughjeffuflVIPDined on 7/20/2014I'm a NYer who has lived in the south for 20+ years. Maybe I've been around too much BBQ down south, but this place just isn't good. Brisket was dry. The 1/2 fried chicken was not a half chicken. Don't give me 4 pieces of chicken and call it 1/2 chicken. Cutting the breast in half and serving me half of it means I didn't get 1/2 chicken. And don't get me started on the fact that simple tortilla chips were stale. We asked for a new batch - the new batch was stale. If they're stale, fine. Go next door and buy a bag of Tostitos!
- Every was delicioussuzduellDined on 7/19/2014We had an early dinner prior to a show, and the food was amazing. We had a great time, and hope to get back to NYC soon to go again!Special Features:
- southern styleohenryVIPDined on 7/12/2014The mac and cheese was good and so was the chicken fingers and I was happy the manager only charged me for the chicken fingers only and took off the soda and the mac and cheese and I thank him for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Dining ExperienceCanadianDinerDined on 7/11/2014Is the food good? Absolutely. Is the service friendly? Not at all. This is without question the worst service I've ever received. We were a large group from Canada away on a conference to NYC. I guess it's customary in the United States but our waitress refused to split our bill so that we could each pay individually. Instead of explaining to us why she could not split the bill, she got very short with us, left the room frequently without telling us anything and just continued to insist we hand over our credit cards. She treated us like we were dumb. Needless to say, I do not plan on returning.Special Features:
- Solid BBQ choiceNYCGalVIPDined on 7/10/2014If you are looking for BBQ, this is a solid choice. Service is very good and you can chose between the front "happening" room, and the quieter one in the back. I was only disappointed because their menu did not include some of the choices that are still in the Open Table menu. They said they had changed menu a few weeks ago. Whoever has to do it, please update it SOON on Open Table.
- Very average BBQMarkESackettVIPDined on 7/10/2014Good try but just not great...Brisket was way too fatty, Bacon crisp and salty on the outside mushy inside, baked beans had a very unusual flavor. Cornbread and Ribs were good! I'm from Kansas City so on a scale of 1-10 10 being the best I would give this a 3. NYC is not known for it's Q but even here there is much better to be had!Special Features:
- vibrant restaurantohenryVIPDined on 7/6/2014The place was good the mac and cheese a little burnt but the chicken fingers was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceEhaussDined on 7/4/2014Very good food, lively atmosphere, good service. Ribs were great, pulled pork sandwich very good. Great location.Special Features:
- Great experience.Diner124Dined on 7/3/2014The atmosphere of Southern Hospitality was awesome. We were looking for something unique in New York City to dine at. We ordered and got our food not soon after that. It was delicious. My boyfriend and I split a combo meal and were full after. If you like barbeque, I would definitely recommend checking it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.