Southern Graces Bistro
809 Port Republic
Beaufort, SC 29902Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Southern Graces Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.southerngracesbistro.com/
- Phone: (843) 379-0555
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Southern
- Executive Chef: Christopher Hewitt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Selected as Beaufort and Savannah's best caterer, Southern Graces offers unparalleled catering expertise, specializing in weddings, corporate events, and private in-home dinner parties. With over ten years of dedicated catering service, Southern Graces is your best choice in securing extraordinary food, presented deliciously with innovative food stations and gracious service.
- Private Party Facilities: Offering two dining rooms, one that can accommodate up to 35 guests, and the other 20, perfect for your next meeting or intimate soiree!
- Private Party Contact: Bethany Boles Hewitt 8433790555
A word from Southern Graces Bistro
Contemporary Southern Cuisine with the traditions of a Historic Inn dining room in beautiful downtown Beaufort, Southern Graces Bistro offers a Land & Sea menu featuring local seafood, organic grass-fed beef, and farmer"s market produce. An absolute must for visitors, as this locals' locale offers exceptionally fine Southern food with gracious service. Chef Christopher Hewitt came down South after a 12 year stint as Bobby Flay's Executive Sous Chef in Manhattan and has been featured on Iron Chef, Good Morning America, and Food Network's "Behind the Bash" show for his clever juxtapositions of creativity and bold flavor. Start with the three time award winner, Beaufort Bay Shrimp Wraps or the innovative Southern Sushi, don't miss the She Crab Bisque or Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad for your second course, and then with over 13 entrees to choose from, it's hard to go wrong: Crab Stuffed Grouper with Black-eyed pea risotto, Filet of Beef with Porcini Demi, or Crispy Scored Flounder...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
Southern Graces Bistro - Best Restaurants in Beaufort ›
Southern Graces Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
32 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (19)romantic (17)fit for foodies (14)neighborhood gem (13)great for brunch (12)good for groups (5)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Food was average. Overall disappointed.BigAlDined on 11/21/2014I was expecting a more romantic setting - piped in music, uncomfortable chairs. Best part was BYOB. Conversations overheard from all adjacent tables. Service was just ok. Duck was overcooked. Flounder was ok. They were out of oysters on a Friday night at 6 pm? No specials on the menu?
- JackieDined on 11/16/2014This restaurant truly merits five stars - outstanding food, elegant, friendly and efficient service! Their Sunday brunch exceeds all expectations and lunch and dinner are always a special occasion. A wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was without a doubt outstanding.TroutmanDined on 11/14/2014The total meal was great. My filet was very tender and seasoned just right. My wife ordered salmon and she was blown away by how well prepared and seasoned it was. Our server was gracious and was always available to answer any questions that we had, before, during and after the meal. A great evening out with our friends made especially delightful by the service and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and service were impeccable.TxTumbleweedDined on 11/13/2014We loved that we could bring our own wine. It made the evening much less expensive than you'd expect at such a high caliber dining establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchgretamDined on 11/9/2014We went there for brunch and to celebrate my birthday. Of course, we ate too much...but had to have the eggs benedict and the roast smelled so yummy you had to eat that too. Love their chocolate creme brulee! I have been there several times for dinner and what is most appealing to me is that everytime I go I get a good meal...love consistency.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time VisitorsCarolynmccDined on 11/2/2014This was our first time to Southern Graces Bistro. A friend recommended it and we brought our out of town guests. It felt like we were in a friend's dining room having brunch, quaint and cozy. The food selection was varied and very good, coffee was excellent and service was very good. I would return there again and would like to try their lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch with English guestsAngloparkDined on 11/2/2014We took our visiting English relatives for brunch. They loved the old house and the ambiance. The food was good but could have been a little fresher (buffet). Eggs Benedict was excellent though served as an appetizer on a saucer which was difficult to handle. Friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointinggottaeatDined on 10/31/2014We were very disappointed with this restaurant. We both orderd soup. I had the French onion soup which tasted like it had been made from a package of gravy mix. My husband's she crab soup was awful too. Then I had a salad, it was ok. It's hard to go wrong with a salad. My husband had the fried chicken, come on now, we're in the south, the chicken should be juicy on the inside and light and crisp on the outside. I don't remember the last time my husband left food on his plate. It was awful. It was served with canned corn which seemed like it had been reheated several times. We were really looking forward to a nice lunch a little trip to Beaufort . We thought we would try something different. Next time we will go to back to Plums
- Best Dinner in 2014FoodontheRoadtoFloridsDined on 10/15/2014A Stunning Dinning Room with Food even Better. Pop Ups to start even better than the the Pop Ups 15 years ago at an old inn in the Hudson Valley! I had the roast duck that was just perfect. My wife's fish was wonderful. Salads wonderful Bread wonderful! Thank you...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Located in lovely, old B&BKLfavoriteplaces1Dined on 10/12/2014Although centrally located in the historic section of Beaufort, SC, most of the patrons appeared to be guests at the inn. Mostly older couples, and a few younger. Nice selection (although I expected more) at the buffet brunch. Looking forward to trying lunch or afternoon tea at Southern Graces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuluDined on 10/7/2014Tables are placed very close together in a small room, creating a high noise level if the room is 1/2 to 3/4 full. Chose the restaurant for its longstanding reputation and a place where we could enjoy a good conversation....unfortunately, we were disappointed.
- nice brunchEjmquiltsDined on 10/5/2014We stopped at Southern Graces for Sunday brunch on our way from Hilton Head to Charleston. The historic inn is lovely. Although we are not fans of buffets in general, this brunch buffet was nicely done and distributed throughout different rooms and not the usual "feeding trough" set up. The southern specialties were impeccably done, including the fried chicken, sweet potato/chicken comfit hash, and smoked salmon lollipops. It was a great value for the quality of food.Special Features:
- ImpresssivePuppiesDined on 10/3/2014Great meal. Brown butter sea scallops and shrimps and sweet potatoes grits were amazing . We will return for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlandCJHCCHVIPDined on 10/1/2014Food was beautifully presented & looked good, but had no flavor. It did not seem that there was any seasoning used at all & I do not normally add salt to my food. A mixed pepper medley was used to garnish everything. She crab soup was watery & the only flavor to it was the pepper medley. Fried green tomatoes were perfectly prepared and beautifully presented, but lacked flavor. The shrimp and sweet potato "grits" (which were really mashed sweet potatoes) lacked flavor & really did not work well together. We also had the crab stuffed fish, pecan crusted chicken, & the BBQ salmon. The best part of the meal was the dessert (which was complementary) was the homemade strawberry layer cake. It was the only thing that had flavor.Special Features:
- Always a favorite!Happyfeet321Dined on 9/13/2014The food just doesn't get any better than at Southern Graces Bistro - for lunch, dinner, or brunch. They do not serve alcohol so you can take your own and they will not charge a corkage fee. The menu is varied with excellent choices of starters, salads, seafoods, and meat, chicken, etc. I always have difficulty deciding as this is one of the few restaurants where I don't always order the same thing because I'm a creature of habit and would rather stick with the known than risking not liking a new choice. But I like everything here so I almost always try something new. We had the citrus salads, scallops in brown butter sauce, and bbq glazed salmon; for dessert - chocolate creme brulee, strawberry cake & banana pudding; all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceYummyDined on 8/24/2014We brought out of town guests to Southern Graces for Sunday brunch and they just loved it. A wonderful experience. The staff is also very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Great experience!YummyDined on 8/17/2014Eating at Southern Graces Bistro was a unique experience with many choices of excellent foods.Special Features:
- Where is the gouda mac & cheese?HV1301Dined on 8/10/2014My daughter (a teacher) visited over spring break and we brunched at Southern Graces. She was blown away by the Gouda mac & cheese. 5 star experience. She visited us this summer & specifically requested brunch at Southern Graces...because of the mac & cheese. Sounds funny, but this 30 year old gal likes her mac & cheese! The buffet had NO mac & cheese! Everything else was delicious. Waitress was having a bad day and we felt like intruders. Will I go back to Southern Graces??? Yes. It is charming. The food is delicious. I just ask for consistency. We paid $21.99 per person (party of 4) plus tax & gratuity.... and no Gouda mac & cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionNoelDined on 8/6/2014It was my Birthday and the server was so dear she surprised me with a delicious slice of cake and candle. Plus the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for small groupsMimiDined on 8/1/2014We have been to Southern Graces Bistro several times. and have never been disappointed. An perfect place if you want to hear the conversations of your dining party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 118 reviews are from the Southern Graces Bistro reviews archive.
- A brunch to be rememberedfoodmeisterDined on 7/13/2014Southern Graces brunch was well worth the wait. They put out quite a spread, and the food was outstanding! They had everything from choice roast beef to an omelette made to order station along with amazing desserts. With momosas and bloody marrys included at no additional charge, it was the best 25 dollars I've ever spent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/9/2014Quaint, small restaurant located within the Beaufort Inn.Special Features:
- Always enjoyableRobbie331Dined on 6/19/2014We have dined at Southern Graces many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely PlaceMomof12Dined on 6/19/2014We enjoyed very good food and service at this lovely place. Our waitress was very accommodating and helpful, the menu is varied and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in BeaufortbeebooDined on 6/17/2014I have heard of this restaurant and finally made it in and am glad I did as it is the best meal I have eaten in Beaufort! I then returned later in the week for the tea with a friend which also was very impressive. The service and ambiance is great and the food is original and expertly prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern GemspeebymdDined on 6/14/2014Second time and it just gets better and better! My partner and I will definitely be back. We love escaping Atlanta for a long weekend down in Beaufort and Southern Graces has become our favorite place to dine in Beaufort!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't accept Open Table chequecrickoDined on 6/12/2014The ambience was special, the food good, they offered us complementary wine which was great. Our bill came to $125; $150 with tip. I presented my Open Table cheque and it was refused. Chef said Southern Graces Bistro had gotten three other cheques over the past 5 years which were not reimbursed. I don't know how it works except to say that we chose this restaurant based on its advertising on opentable.com. I was not prepared for a $150 bill. I would offer that Southern Graces Bistro should take its listing off opentable.com if management is not prepared to honor opentable cheques.Special Features:
- A+OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Loved it! Nice chef... Great food... Great place! I am very happy with this place.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceSuncitygals6Dined on 5/22/2014This was our 2nd time for a group birthday luncheon... Food, service & ambiance were excellent...Cost was very reasonable. I would highly recommend this venue for an enjoyable dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend even after.....McMinnVolManiacDined on 5/17/2014The ambience is great, the food was above par and the service attentive. Our only negative is we were the only couple in the entire restaurant during our dining experience which was a little weird.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014It's always my go to place when visiting Beaufort. Best food in town.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseDebGVIPDined on 4/25/2014We Live in hilton head. We felt like taking a trip to Beaufort for dinner. What an excellent find. Food and atmosphere is outstanding. LOVE the wine corkage concept. We WILL be back.Special Features:
- Simply awesometombVIPDined on 4/23/2014Wonderful food, service and atmosphere. Our lunch was outstanding and the waitress was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- FinedinerVIPDined on 4/16/2014Quiet romantic nostalgic. Set inside a historic hotel. Quite the wonderful surprise. Delicious good tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rozlovestoeatDined on 4/13/2014Wonderfully yummy Brunch. Very friendly staff and chef. We ate on the porch and it was lovely. Great view and very pleasant atmosphere! I would strongly recommend this for an awesome brunch experience. The sweet potato mixture is to die for!!!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014Great food and service. A must is it in. Beaufort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2014The food was good and well presented - they do not have liquor license so we were unable to get a nice bottle of wine.Special Features:
- The popovers are divine!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2014The chef's rendering of shrimp & grits is unique and delicious; my favorite thus far after dozens of tastings of this classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, Southern GracesPatGDined on 4/4/2014As always, Southern Graces Bistro at The Beaufort Inn was as close to perfection as possible. The wait staff was most attentive, although new, and did a fine job. The cuisine was outstanding, and the ambiance most relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good food, service.sockyDined on 4/2/2014Nice ambience in good downtown location at reasonable prices. Excellent scored flounder, citrus salad.love the BYOB.no corkage fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.