Southern Graces Bistro
809 Port Republic
Beaufort, SC 29902Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Southern Graces Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.southerngracesbistro.com/
- Phone: 8433790555
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Southern
- Executive Chef: Christopher Hewitt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Selected as Beaufort and Savannah's best caterer, Southern Graces offers unparalleled catering expertise, specializing in weddings, corporate events, and private in-home dinner parties. With over ten years of dedicated catering service, Southern Graces is your best choice in securing extraordinary food, presented deliciously with innovative food stations and gracious service.
- Private Party Facilities: Offering two dining rooms, one that can accommodate up to 35 guests, and the other 20, perfect for your next meeting or intimate soiree!
- Private Party Contact: Bethany Boles Hewitt 8433790555
A word from Southern Graces Bistro
Contemporary Southern Cuisine with the traditions of a Historic Inn dining room in beautiful downtown Beaufort, Southern Graces Bistro offers a Land & Sea menu featuring local seafood, organic grass-fed beef, and farmer"s market produce. An absolute must for visitors, as this locals' locale offers exceptionally fine Southern food with gracious service. Chef Christopher Hewitt came down South after a 12 year stint as Bobby Flay's Executive Sous Chef in Manhattan and has been featured on Iron Chef, Good Morning America, and Food Network's "Behind the Bash" show for his clever juxtapositions of creativity and bold flavor. Start with the three time award winner, Beaufort Bay Shrimp Wraps or the innovative Southern Sushi, don't miss the She Crab Bisque or Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad for your second course, and then with over 13 entrees to choose from, it's hard to go wrong: Crab Stuffed Grouper with Black-eyed pea risotto, Filet of Beef with Porcini Demi, or Crispy Scored Flounder...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Southern Graces Bistro - Best Restaurants in Beaufort ›
Southern Graces Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (20)romantic (14)neighborhood gem (13)great for brunch (11)fit for foodies (10)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (5)scenic view (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Always a favorite!Happyfeet321Dined on 9/13/2014The food just doesn't get any better than at Southern Graces Bistro - for lunch, dinner, or brunch. They do not serve alcohol so you can take your own and they will not charge a corkage fee. The menu is varied with excellent choices of starters, salads, seafoods, and meat, chicken, etc. I always have difficulty deciding as this is one of the few restaurants where I don't always order the same thing because I'm a creature of habit and would rather stick with the known than risking not liking a new choice. But I like everything here so I almost always try something new. We had the citrus salads, scallops in brown butter sauce, and bbq glazed salmon; for dessert - chocolate creme brulee, strawberry cake & banana pudding; all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceYummyDined on 8/24/2014We brought out of town guests to Southern Graces for Sunday brunch and they just loved it. A wonderful experience. The staff is also very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- Great experience!YummyDined on 8/17/2014Eating at Southern Graces Bistro was a unique experience with many choices of excellent foods.Special Features:
- Where is the gouda mac & cheese?HV1301Dined on 8/10/2014My daughter (a teacher) visited over spring break and we brunched at Southern Graces. She was blown away by the Gouda mac & cheese. 5 star experience. She visited us this summer & specifically requested brunch at Southern Graces...because of the mac & cheese. Sounds funny, but this 30 year old gal likes her mac & cheese! The buffet had NO mac & cheese! Everything else was delicious. Waitress was having a bad day and we felt like intruders. Will I go back to Southern Graces??? Yes. It is charming. The food is delicious. I just ask for consistency. We paid $21.99 per person (party of 4) plus tax & gratuity.... and no Gouda mac & cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionNoelDined on 8/6/2014It was my Birthday and the server was so dear she surprised me with a delicious slice of cake and candle. Plus the food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for small groupsMimiDined on 8/1/2014We have been to Southern Graces Bistro several times. and have never been disappointed. An perfect place if you want to hear the conversations of your dining party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A brunch to be rememberedfoodmeisterDined on 7/13/2014Southern Graces brunch was well worth the wait. They put out quite a spread, and the food was outstanding! They had everything from choice roast beef to an omelette made to order station along with amazing desserts. With momosas and bloody marrys included at no additional charge, it was the best 25 dollars I've ever spent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/9/2014Quaint, small restaurant located within the Beaufort Inn.Special Features:
- Always enjoyableRobbie331Dined on 6/19/2014We have dined at Southern Graces many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely PlaceMomof12Dined on 6/19/2014We enjoyed very good food and service at this lovely place. Our waitress was very accommodating and helpful, the menu is varied and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in BeaufortbeebooDined on 6/17/2014I have heard of this restaurant and finally made it in and am glad I did as it is the best meal I have eaten in Beaufort! I then returned later in the week for the tea with a friend which also was very impressive. The service and ambiance is great and the food is original and expertly prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern GemspeebymdDined on 6/14/2014Second time and it just gets better and better! My partner and I will definitely be back. We love escaping Atlanta for a long weekend down in Beaufort and Southern Graces has become our favorite place to dine in Beaufort!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't accept Open Table chequecrickoDined on 6/12/2014The ambience was special, the food good, they offered us complementary wine which was great. Our bill came to $125; $150 with tip. I presented my Open Table cheque and it was refused. Chef said Southern Graces Bistro had gotten three other cheques over the past 5 years which were not reimbursed. I don't know how it works except to say that we chose this restaurant based on its advertising on opentable.com. I was not prepared for a $150 bill. I would offer that Southern Graces Bistro should take its listing off opentable.com if management is not prepared to honor opentable cheques.Special Features:
- The following 111 reviews are from the Southern Graces Bistro reviews archive.
- A+OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014Loved it! Nice chef... Great food... Great place! I am very happy with this place.Special Features:
- Great dining experienceSuncitygals6Dined on 5/22/2014This was our 2nd time for a group birthday luncheon... Food, service & ambiance were excellent...Cost was very reasonable. I would highly recommend this venue for an enjoyable dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommend even after.....McMinnVolManiacDined on 5/17/2014The ambience is great, the food was above par and the service attentive. Our only negative is we were the only couple in the entire restaurant during our dining experience which was a little weird.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014It's always my go to place when visiting Beaufort. Best food in town.Special Features:
- Pleasant surpriseDebGVIPDined on 4/25/2014We Live in hilton head. We felt like taking a trip to Beaufort for dinner. What an excellent find. Food and atmosphere is outstanding. LOVE the wine corkage concept. We WILL be back.Special Features:
- Simply awesometombVIPDined on 4/23/2014Wonderful food, service and atmosphere. Our lunch was outstanding and the waitress was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- FinedinerVIPDined on 4/16/2014Quiet romantic nostalgic. Set inside a historic hotel. Quite the wonderful surprise. Delicious good tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rozlovestoeatDined on 4/13/2014Wonderfully yummy Brunch. Very friendly staff and chef. We ate on the porch and it was lovely. Great view and very pleasant atmosphere! I would strongly recommend this for an awesome brunch experience. The sweet potato mixture is to die for!!!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014Great food and service. A must is it in. Beaufort.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good & serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2014The food was good and well presented - they do not have liquor license so we were unable to get a nice bottle of wine.Special Features:
- The popovers are divine!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2014The chef's rendering of shrimp & grits is unique and delicious; my favorite thus far after dozens of tastings of this classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, Southern GracesPatGDined on 4/4/2014As always, Southern Graces Bistro at The Beaufort Inn was as close to perfection as possible. The wait staff was most attentive, although new, and did a fine job. The cuisine was outstanding, and the ambiance most relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistently good food, service.sockyDined on 4/2/2014Nice ambience in good downtown location at reasonable prices. Excellent scored flounder, citrus salad.love the BYOB.no corkage fee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2014We were given a gift certificate to southern graces. We live not far away and have enjoyed brunch there on several occasions, so we used the gift for brunch and we're not disappointed. The smoked salmon lollipops are a big favorite, as are the eggs Benedict. You get just one, which leaves room for the other excellent offerings. The brunch is a buffet, with everything from salad to omelet station to sinful desserts and complimentary bloody Marys and mimosas . Our waiter Larry was really good – attentive but not intrusive. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Had a very special meal - try the Clemson wedge and farm raised Redfish - just great!Special Features:
- Best dinner in a long timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014Did not have dessert as we were so full. Cannot say enough about the meal...salads were outstanding, scored flounder, shrimp/grits like none ever had, and the popovers were outstanding. And the oysters and fried green tomatoes were also notable. Our server was very personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Please make sure I receiveMitchDined on 3/7/2014Please make sure I receive my points. I told the server, but she was very busy. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was just okayxxxxxxxxxxxxxxDined on 3/1/2014The she crab chower was excellent and without a loquor license they encouraged BYOB. The grouper was very bland.
- GreatKeithDined on 2/28/2014We met up with some long time friends for a great evening. The food was excellent and also the service. Very nice surroundings , fireplace, nice romantic facilities. I highly recommend. Note, you have to take your own wine or beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu reads better thancferdVIPDined on 2/27/2014The menu reads better than it eats. The salads were excellent but all of the hot courses were barely warm. This likely lent to their flavour being very flat. The restaurant was also out of 2 entrée items at 12:30 PM.
- Excellent MealDRHZDined on 2/21/2014Great meal with great service. Their version of Fried Green Tomatoes and She Crab soup are worth the trip. Nice dining room but the Bistro is strictly BYOB, so come prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V-Day 2014Baileys09Dined on 2/14/2014I must say this was a perfect choice. It was quiet, romantic and intimate for me an my husband. You couldn't even tell that they were busy. The setting was perfect. The food was outstanding. We really enjoyed the lamb we ate. Very tender, topped off with sweet potatoe flavor and cauliflower. Great great choice. The fact I could bring my own wine was a added touch. I would definitely recommend this Southern Graces for any occasion. If you're looking for a nice and pleasant dinner scene, it's your choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little too close to othersandraDined on 2/14/2014A little too close to other tables, but a nice place.Special Features:
- Bistro hits homer on tough nightTwinscribeDined on 2/14/2014As you'd hope, Beaufort's namesake inn includes a quality kitchen, and on Valentine's night -- challenging anywhere -- the mettle to acquit itself. The four-course menu crafted for the occasion was nonetheless tempting. A filet mignon for her with horseradish scalloped potatoes and sautéed scallops with truffle grits for me were sumptuous and top notch. Among the highlights were the creamy lobster tomato soup, the red velvet soufflé and the chocolate crème brulee. Worthy of the indulgences. Service was cordial and impeccable. The only drawbacks were the absence of a wine list -- no license -- and the rather ill-informed baseball fan at the next table who spoke with authority but swung wildly and whiffed. Otherwise, it was a bit hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Our Valentine's Day EveningBalletnightDined on 2/14/2014Typically, we do not dine out on holidays or special events like Valentine's Day, as we find the food is usually not up to par and the staff hurried and harried! We saw Southern Graces advertisement in the Beaufort "Island News" for a prix fix dinner, and decided to give it a try. The dinner was outstanding. They offered three choices for the appetizer, main dish and dessert and each was tempting! My husband and I both ordered the lamb chops, and they were so tender and tasty. My husband had a tomato and lobster soup as an appetizer and I had a wonderful crunchy salad with roasted pear and pecans. We both had the chocolate creme brule for dessert - wow! The setting is lovely, and all who were dining seemed to be in a festive mood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bygone EraOmegaDined on 2/12/2014Even though we went at an early hour and there were not many people we were treated like guests of the Queen. Perfection at every turn yet not at all stuffy or unfriendly. Food was as fine as it can get. We read that the chef is from New York, an amazingly creative artist and we truly appreciated everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I love SouthernJennyDined on 2/9/2014My husband and I love Southern Graces. We go "out of our way" to eat there. The Sunday brunch is fabulous. The food never disappoints us. It is our favorite restaurant in South Carolina.Special Features: