Southern Cross Kitchen
8 East First Ave
Conshohocken, PA 19428Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Southern Cross Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southerncrosskitchen.com/
- Phone: (484) 344-5668
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - close
Sunday: 10:30am - close
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: Live music most Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Please call for more information.
A word from Southern Cross Kitchen
From the creative genius behind Gypsy Saloon and the culinary work of Stella Blu Restaurant, comes the newest restaurant in Conshohocken. Located just over the bridge, Southern Cross Kitchen combines great food and a wonderful atmosphere with good ol’ southern charm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Southern Cross Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)fit for foodies (33)vibrant bar scene (19)special occasion (16)romantic (15)good for groups (14)hot spot (11)great for brunch (10)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Not thrilledSusanDined on 11/16/2014I ate here once before at a holiday party and the food was very good. I decided to book a brunch for my birthday with my family (husband and 2 sons). Unfortunately the restaurant had some issues that day. Our waiter looked overworked (perhaps someone called out that day) as he was waiting on the entire room (8 or 10 tables). He was polite but it took a while to get our order taken and get our food and beverages. Our food was just ok; nothing spectacular. We didn't return anything or complain, but we were a bit disappointed. However, the manager or hostess came out with 2 desserts with candles in them for my birthday (when I made the reservation I noted it was a birthday reservation). She asked whose birthday it was and said she didn't know what we would like so she brought a carrot cake and a toll house cookie cake. That made up for the lack of everything else. I will try the place again, but not for brunch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buttermilk Fried ChickenlocalyokelVIPDined on 11/15/2014Is one of my weak points while on a healthy diet. I caved and ordered the Buttermilk Fried Chicken. I was so disappointed with the dish. I can tell you the recipe without asking the kitchen buttermilk and flour deep fried in oil. No seasonings whatsoever not even salt and pepper. The chicken was also quite dry. I honestly have never eaten collard greens before, but I know I never will again an extremely pungent dish.Special Features:
- Conshohocken GemScottyg124VIPDined on 11/13/2014The Southern Cross Kitchen has got to be my favorite spot in all of Conshohocken. The food is amazing, the beer list is huge and they also have an innovate menu of cocktails that just keep me coming back for more. They also have some of the best fried chicken I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014It was my ninth time dining here. It seemed like management changed within the last few months and food has not been the same.
- Fantastic southern food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014Went last Saturday and had a great evening with friends. Virginia was a lot of fun and had great energy. The food was out of this world! We are heading back for Sunday Brunch.Special Features:
- LUNCH GETAWAYItalianMikeDined on 10/24/2014Excellent food and service; Moderate pricing..Local 'Gem' for sure: Excellent menu options and flavors that are mouth watering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChickenKoKoVIPDined on 10/20/2014My wife had a very nice piece of fish and the fried pickles were excellent but...the chicken. Wow buttermilk fried chicken..get it you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moderately upscale southern comfortanglayneDined on 10/18/2014I could have ordered everything on the menu. From shrimp and grits, fried chicken biscuits, jambalaya, and various mac n' cheeses I was one happy camper. The atmosphere was lively yet cozy at the same time. AND they gave you free cornbread to take home. How could you not love this place? I will say however the jambalaya was not spicy as they indicate which was a bit of a let down.Special Features:
- Southern CharmkermurDined on 10/13/2014We had dinner reservations, but ended up eating at the bar. The ambiance was nice and the food was delicious. It was a Monday night and the dinning room was virtually empty (the primary reason we chose to eat at the bar). The draft beer list was unique and varied, not huge but big enough. I ordered the shrimp and grits and my date had calamari. I went to college in South Carolina so I was excited to discover a Southern-cuisine restaurant in Conshy. Southern Cross Kitchen did not disappoint. Best Southern Fare I've had outside of Charleston! The service provided by the bartender was impeccable and I enjoyed conversing with him. I will definitely be back. I look forward to branching out and trying other menu items.Special Features:
- Wonderful!Htown10Dined on 10/6/2014Another gem in Conshy! Beautifully decorated and a clean, inviting atmosphere. I went with some college friends and we split several apps (all good) and a couple tasty salads. Great southern flavors and choices! The Southern wedge salad, spicy shrimp, and cheesesteak rolls were our favorites. Great service by Veronica!Special Features:
- Weak food, nice room, good servicePhantomEngineerDined on 10/4/2014Basically bar food, very disappointing. The seafood jambalaya was just rice in tomato sauce with some big shrimp and scallops. The short ribs were boring too. Neither had any finesse to justify the high price. Was expecting more southern authenticity.Special Features:
- Good Southern Fare!OmnivoreDined on 10/2/2014A broad menu of southern favorites that includes fried oysters, chicken, biscuits and grits. Everyone was friendly, helpful. Service was good, food was delicious!Special Features:
- Conshy Girls Do it againFinedinerDined on 9/29/2014The owners of Stella Blu and Gypsy Saloon have a terrific third restaurant in Conshohocken. Feel good southern food in a relaxed warm atmosphere greets you in this local eatery. The fod was great and I loved the look of the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VisitVIPDined on 9/26/2014Upstairs way too loud for dining conversation and the waitstaff struggled to bring our meals together. Noticed downstairs quieter but cigarette smoke strong due to groups outside catching a smoke. Not worth the trip back with so many other good restaurants. This is a loud club attempting to serve food.Special Features:
- Freezing and loud with wrong entreenothardtopleaseDined on 9/24/2014We froze. After repeatedly asking that the air conditioning be turned down (it was 60 something outside), we were informed that the "band" kept turning the air up since they were hot in their flannel and wool hats. The "band" was 2 guys singing off-key 80s songs that nobody listened to in the 80s. I ordered seafood gumbo...got chicken. It took me way too long to realize it. It bothers me that a restaurant is much more concerned with the comfort of a couple of wannabe musicians than the comfort of the only upstairs restaurant customers. And I wonder why we were seated upstairs and subjected to freezing cold and bad music when there appeared to be plenty of seating downstairs. The food was OK but impossible to enjoy.Special Features:
- southern HospitalityScottyg124VIPDined on 9/19/2014Simply walking in I knew I was going to like the place. The decor was very modern while still maintaining an old school southern charm. Their menu features an amazing variety of dishes, but I was sold on the burger before we even got there. The service is very friendly and our waiter knew a good deal about the dishes and the 23 craft beers on tap. The food itself knocked my socks off, I highly recommend the burger or anything that had their fried chicken in it. Start with the fried pickles and make sure to leave room for dessert, which is all made in house. I have to go back soon to try the Pecan pie. I highly recommend this place, great find in Conshohocken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful comfort foodJessicaVIPDined on 9/16/2014My girlfriends and I had a great dinner here eating the short rib grilled cheese and the catfish tacos. Everything was delish. We were very pleased with the draught beer list and had a great time. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Awesome Service!mpilDined on 9/12/2014We really enjoyed our time here! I really like the beer list and being able to sample a couple before trying. Whitney did a great job taking care of our table, and being patient with our questions and general indecisiveness! Overall it was a great experience and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but chilly.Trick145Dined on 9/12/2014The food, service and atmosphere we are well above part, , but an overzealous air-conditioning system on the second floor made it difficult to get comfortable.Special Features:
- Great brunch!BarbDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed the wonderful fun Barrel Room upstairs while the band was playing. Although it was crowded and loud, we knew what to expect. We have also brunched on the main level for quieter dining and bar dining. Food is consistently excellent. We have this place on our regular brunch rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we wentMIMIDined on 8/22/2014Heard about this place, have been to the others that are owned by same group and found it very pleasant. food was very good, interesting menu and bar drinks perfect. A little loud if you are planning a romantic dinner, but great for a group. Would definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And grits, too!KnowsgoodeatsVIPDined on 8/21/2014Went here for the first time, this week. Great spot in Conshohocken for authentic southern food with a chef's flair and a neat twist twist on local favorites. While cheesesteak eggrolls looked great, we sampled instead the fried green tomatoes and fried pickles. Awesome. Good southern style drinks; the sweet tea bourbon was great. Super selection of unusual beers. The short rib dip, a twist on a French dip was to die for. The specialty burger was excellent and one of our party got the shrimp, salmon and grits. We understand that that was terrific too. All in all I give it a rousing four stars. I recommend it highly. Oh and by the way, the fried chicken and fried chicken sliders on homemade biscuits looked excellent. Give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a night!HDeliagoDined on 8/16/2014My husband and i brought our out of state in laws to Southern Cross Kitchen on their last night in PA. Both of them got the special BBQ ribs, an even going on this weekend. AMAZING! so tender and juicy, it fell right off the bone! would highly recommend for a romantic or special occasion night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!msbearDined on 8/12/2014I was meeting a friend here for dinner who I haven't seen in a long time. We both ordered the jambalaya (her - seafood), both were very delicious and perfect portion size! The waiter came by for refills but obviously took note we were having some deep conversations and didn't bother us at all. A woman (maybe one of the Conshy girls?) swung by a few times too, super sweet, asking if we needed anything. We ended our dinner with a healthy slice of the most delicious cake. I wish I remembered the name, it did begin with a H! I've already recommended this to many of my friends. Hoping to make a return visit ASAP!Special Features:
- Disappointed in the food:(RoseandMikeVIPDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed listening to Panama Jack the piano player and we had great service but we were very disappointed with our meal. Chicken Jambalaya had very little chicken and even less andouille sausage, it was mostly rice and my fiance's couldn't finish his fried chicken because it had no flavor. They charge 2.00 for 1 biscut or 1 small piece of corn bread. The restaurant has nice atmosphere and we'd go back to listen to the piano player so hopefully they will get a new chef.Special Features:
- Just say hello.KimberlyDined on 7/29/2014I have been here two other times. When I arrive it is awkward because the staff walk right by you and never acknowledge you until you are seated. So you stand there until the dedicated "greeter" finishes their drink and reluctantly helps you. I loved the Southern Cross cocktail its a great sipper and refreshingly not sweet. Was looking forward to the fried chicken this time but it was under seasoned and underwhelming. I like the upbeat colorful decor but don't get the Christmas balls hanging from ribbons from the ceiling. Are they decoration they just never took down?Special Features:
- Amazing Real Southern FoodSawwhetowl2VIPDined on 7/29/2014The service was impeccable. The braised short ribs in both the entree and the sandwich were tender, delicious, and mouth-wateringly perfect. Our friend enjoyed the shrimp and grits. Collard greens with the short ribs were fantastic, just like mamma used to make. The Sangria special drink was refreshing and fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodFoodieDined on 7/27/2014To my surprise this quaint lil restaurant packed a punch, in a good way! The all u can eat crab leg special was to die for...so much more on the menu to choose as well. I'll definitely have to go back to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Southern!HungryinHorshamVIPDined on 7/26/2014We wish we could have ordered and consumed everything on the menu, but our appetites were pleased with our choices, shrimp and goat cheese grits, the stuffed jalapeno poppers, yes, poppers, were out of this world and not what you would expect. Will come back many times. Only complaint was that the A/C kept coming on and it made our experience a bit frigid!Special Features:
- Hit or MissDiner55VIPDined on 7/25/2014We hadn't been here for a while, and decided to give it a try. Our level of satisfaction was tied to what we each ordered. We both loved the fried green tomatoes, and the shrimp and grits were very good. My partner's fried chicken was disappointing. The portion was substantial, but the batter was not very tasty and the chicken was swimming in liquid from the collard greens. Not sure we'll be coming back any time soon.
- The following 87 reviews are from the Southern Cross Kitchen reviews archive.
- Definitely one of Conshys top spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014The food is unique & eclectic yet it feels very homemade. The dichotomy makes Southern Cross one of our favorite places in Conshy. You probably can't find the same menu north of the Mason-Dixon and that makes this spot one of a kind. The live music coupled with a relaxed southern atmosphere provides a low key but enjoyable scene - at least on the 2nd floor. We had a great waitress (Lauren if I recall) and the staff was friendly & professional. We'll definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodKM33Dined on 7/25/2014SCK is the kind of restaurant that you visit and think about for days. The atmosphere is great with live music upstairs Thursday through Saturday. The food is amazing. The fried green tomatoes are to die for...a must have! Service is very good for the most part...had one server forget to give us our check (she thought she already had) and on another occasion, a different server messed up the credit card transaction and had to call me at home for the credit card info. Overall, amazing place!!!!Special Features:
- Flavorful ExperienceSylvesterDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I were really impressed with the ambiance, service, and food. The catfish tacos were spectacular and the scallops and pork belly were also excellent, but nothing compared to the rice that accompanied the tacos. Glad to see such attention to detail was paid even to the flavor of a side item that could have gone unnoticed. After dinner, we venture upstairs to hear some live music and have a couple cocktails. The pleasant service continued there in the Barrel Room. We will be back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014The food is great, sure, and the ambiance is nice, I guess, but the lack of outdoor seating and the fact quiet atmosphere make the place just so-so. The food, though, is good, so if you're less concerned about atmosphere, the place is worth checking out.Special Features:
- annufDined on 7/11/2014Great drinks and drink menu. The food was great, although it didnt seem warm enough, was very delicious. We will definitely ne going back. the deserts were great as well.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/1/2014Fried Green Tomato and Cross Burger were excellent. Drink was on the small side for the amount charged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food and serviceRilkeVIPDined on 7/1/2014There is nothing here to specifically criticize but nothing to praise either. The service was ok the food was ok but not special or memorable. The best part of dinner was that my friend and I could watch the soccer game as she and I are big fans.
- Not quite rightGeorgeepaDined on 6/17/2014The waiter and host were sweating and host was so much so, it was dripping off his nose and chin. The fried chicken, a house specialty was over cooked and not very flavorful. The short ribs my wife and niece had were good/very good, but the brussels sprouts side disk wasn't much above good. Their house Mac / Cheese was very good, but, that doesn't save the meal. The beer list is excellent, the happy hour in the bar was popping and might have been fun. We just wanted a special, but not fancy, dinner with an out-of-town relative. The company was great - the restaurant, less so.Special Features:
- Hit or Miss HereFoodLuverDined on 6/17/2014Fried Dill Pickle Chips - absolutely delicious, crispy and tangy, served with a basil cream dip, my new favorite appetizer Fried Green Tomatoes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and Goat Cheese - I've had better, fried well, but very bland Braised Short Rib Grilled Cheese - just amazing, rib meat was tender and juicy, caramelized onions were sweet, cheese was super melty, bread was crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Braised Collard Greens and Mashed Potatoes - not good at all, chicken was crispy but needed more seasoning, greens were tender, but needed some heat and flavor from some smoked meat Shrimp and Goat Cheese Grits and the Jambalaya - heard they were great, will order next time Buttermilk Biscuits - shameful, dry, hard, flavorlessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Southern CookinPsychoDocDined on 6/13/2014Very enjoyable! Very nice ambiance reminded me of the deep south. Food is what I would call "Southern Classic Chic"! We will be back many times!Special Features: