Southern Cross Kitchen
8 East First Ave
Conshohocken, PA 19428Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Southern Cross Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southerncrosskitchen.com/
- Phone: 4843445668
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - close
Sunday: 10:30am - close
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: Live music most Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Please call for more information.
A word from Southern Cross Kitchen
From the creative genius behind Gypsy Saloon and the culinary work of Stella Blu Restaurant, comes the newest restaurant in Conshohocken. Located just over the bridge, Southern Cross Kitchen combines great food and a wonderful atmosphere with good ol’ southern charm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Southern Cross Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (34)special occasion (18)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (13)romantic (12)hot spot (11)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- southern HospitalityScottyg124VIPDined on 9/19/2014Simply walking in I knew I was going to like the place. The decor was very modern while still maintaining an old school southern charm. Their menu features an amazing variety of dishes, but I was sold on the burger before we even got there. The service is very friendly and our waiter knew a good deal about the dishes and the 23 craft beers on tap. The food itself knocked my socks off, I highly recommend the burger or anything that had their fried chicken in it. Start with the fried pickles and make sure to leave room for dessert, which is all made in house. I have to go back soon to try the Pecan pie. I highly recommend this place, great find in Conshohocken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful comfort foodJessicaVIPDined on 9/16/2014My girlfriends and I had a great dinner here eating the short rib grilled cheese and the catfish tacos. Everything was delish. We were very pleased with the draught beer list and had a great time. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Awesome Service!mpilDined on 9/12/2014We really enjoyed our time here! I really like the beer list and being able to sample a couple before trying. Whitney did a great job taking care of our table, and being patient with our questions and general indecisiveness! Overall it was a great experience and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but chilly.Trick145Dined on 9/12/2014The food, service and atmosphere we are well above part, , but an overzealous air-conditioning system on the second floor made it difficult to get comfortable.Special Features:
- Great brunch!BarbDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed the wonderful fun Barrel Room upstairs while the band was playing. Although it was crowded and loud, we knew what to expect. We have also brunched on the main level for quieter dining and bar dining. Food is consistently excellent. We have this place on our regular brunch rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we wentMIMIDined on 8/22/2014Heard about this place, have been to the others that are owned by same group and found it very pleasant. food was very good, interesting menu and bar drinks perfect. A little loud if you are planning a romantic dinner, but great for a group. Would definitely recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- And grits, too!KnowsgoodeatsVIPDined on 8/21/2014Went here for the first time, this week. Great spot in Conshohocken for authentic southern food with a chef's flair and a neat twist twist on local favorites. While cheesesteak eggrolls looked great, we sampled instead the fried green tomatoes and fried pickles. Awesome. Good southern style drinks; the sweet tea bourbon was great. Super selection of unusual beers. The short rib dip, a twist on a French dip was to die for. The specialty burger was excellent and one of our party got the shrimp, salmon and grits. We understand that that was terrific too. All in all I give it a rousing four stars. I recommend it highly. Oh and by the way, the fried chicken and fried chicken sliders on homemade biscuits looked excellent. Give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a night!HDeliagoDined on 8/16/2014My husband and i brought our out of state in laws to Southern Cross Kitchen on their last night in PA. Both of them got the special BBQ ribs, an even going on this weekend. AMAZING! so tender and juicy, it fell right off the bone! would highly recommend for a romantic or special occasion night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!msbearDined on 8/12/2014I was meeting a friend here for dinner who I haven't seen in a long time. We both ordered the jambalaya (her - seafood), both were very delicious and perfect portion size! The waiter came by for refills but obviously took note we were having some deep conversations and didn't bother us at all. A woman (maybe one of the Conshy girls?) swung by a few times too, super sweet, asking if we needed anything. We ended our dinner with a healthy slice of the most delicious cake. I wish I remembered the name, it did begin with a H! I've already recommended this to many of my friends. Hoping to make a return visit ASAP!Special Features:
- Disappointed in the food:(RoseandMikeVIPDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed listening to Panama Jack the piano player and we had great service but we were very disappointed with our meal. Chicken Jambalaya had very little chicken and even less andouille sausage, it was mostly rice and my fiance's couldn't finish his fried chicken because it had no flavor. They charge 2.00 for 1 biscut or 1 small piece of corn bread. The restaurant has nice atmosphere and we'd go back to listen to the piano player so hopefully they will get a new chef.Special Features:
- Just say hello.KimberlyDined on 7/29/2014I have been here two other times. When I arrive it is awkward because the staff walk right by you and never acknowledge you until you are seated. So you stand there until the dedicated "greeter" finishes their drink and reluctantly helps you. I loved the Southern Cross cocktail its a great sipper and refreshingly not sweet. Was looking forward to the fried chicken this time but it was under seasoned and underwhelming. I like the upbeat colorful decor but don't get the Christmas balls hanging from ribbons from the ceiling. Are they decoration they just never took down?Special Features:
- Amazing Real Southern FoodSawwhetowl2VIPDined on 7/29/2014The service was impeccable. The braised short ribs in both the entree and the sandwich were tender, delicious, and mouth-wateringly perfect. Our friend enjoyed the shrimp and grits. Collard greens with the short ribs were fantastic, just like mamma used to make. The Sangria special drink was refreshing and fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodFoodieDined on 7/27/2014To my surprise this quaint lil restaurant packed a punch, in a good way! The all u can eat crab leg special was to die for...so much more on the menu to choose as well. I'll definitely have to go back to try more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Southern!HungryinHorshamVIPDined on 7/26/2014We wish we could have ordered and consumed everything on the menu, but our appetites were pleased with our choices, shrimp and goat cheese grits, the stuffed jalapeno poppers, yes, poppers, were out of this world and not what you would expect. Will come back many times. Only complaint was that the A/C kept coming on and it made our experience a bit frigid!Special Features:
- Hit or MissDiner55VIPDined on 7/25/2014We hadn't been here for a while, and decided to give it a try. Our level of satisfaction was tied to what we each ordered. We both loved the fried green tomatoes, and the shrimp and grits were very good. My partner's fried chicken was disappointing. The portion was substantial, but the batter was not very tasty and the chicken was swimming in liquid from the collard greens. Not sure we'll be coming back any time soon.
- Definitely one of Conshys top spotsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014The food is unique & eclectic yet it feels very homemade. The dichotomy makes Southern Cross one of our favorite places in Conshy. You probably can't find the same menu north of the Mason-Dixon and that makes this spot one of a kind. The live music coupled with a relaxed southern atmosphere provides a low key but enjoyable scene - at least on the 2nd floor. We had a great waitress (Lauren if I recall) and the staff was friendly & professional. We'll definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodKM33Dined on 7/25/2014SCK is the kind of restaurant that you visit and think about for days. The atmosphere is great with live music upstairs Thursday through Saturday. The food is amazing. The fried green tomatoes are to die for...a must have! Service is very good for the most part...had one server forget to give us our check (she thought she already had) and on another occasion, a different server messed up the credit card transaction and had to call me at home for the credit card info. Overall, amazing place!!!!Special Features:
- Flavorful ExperienceSylvesterDined on 7/19/2014My wife and I were really impressed with the ambiance, service, and food. The catfish tacos were spectacular and the scallops and pork belly were also excellent, but nothing compared to the rice that accompanied the tacos. Glad to see such attention to detail was paid even to the flavor of a side item that could have gone unnoticed. After dinner, we venture upstairs to hear some live music and have a couple cocktails. The pleasant service continued there in the Barrel Room. We will be back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014The food is great, sure, and the ambiance is nice, I guess, but the lack of outdoor seating and the fact quiet atmosphere make the place just so-so. The food, though, is good, so if you're less concerned about atmosphere, the place is worth checking out.Special Features:
- annufDined on 7/11/2014Great drinks and drink menu. The food was great, although it didnt seem warm enough, was very delicious. We will definitely ne going back. the deserts were great as well.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/1/2014Fried Green Tomato and Cross Burger were excellent. Drink was on the small side for the amount charged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food and serviceRilkeVIPDined on 7/1/2014There is nothing here to specifically criticize but nothing to praise either. The service was ok the food was ok but not special or memorable. The best part of dinner was that my friend and I could watch the soccer game as she and I are big fans.
- Not quite rightGeorgeepaDined on 6/17/2014The waiter and host were sweating and host was so much so, it was dripping off his nose and chin. The fried chicken, a house specialty was over cooked and not very flavorful. The short ribs my wife and niece had were good/very good, but the brussels sprouts side disk wasn't much above good. Their house Mac / Cheese was very good, but, that doesn't save the meal. The beer list is excellent, the happy hour in the bar was popping and might have been fun. We just wanted a special, but not fancy, dinner with an out-of-town relative. The company was great - the restaurant, less so.Special Features:
- Hit or Miss HereFoodLuverDined on 6/17/2014Fried Dill Pickle Chips - absolutely delicious, crispy and tangy, served with a basil cream dip, my new favorite appetizer Fried Green Tomatoes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and Goat Cheese - I've had better, fried well, but very bland Braised Short Rib Grilled Cheese - just amazing, rib meat was tender and juicy, caramelized onions were sweet, cheese was super melty, bread was crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Braised Collard Greens and Mashed Potatoes - not good at all, chicken was crispy but needed more seasoning, greens were tender, but needed some heat and flavor from some smoked meat Shrimp and Goat Cheese Grits and the Jambalaya - heard they were great, will order next time Buttermilk Biscuits - shameful, dry, hard, flavorlessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Southern CookinPsychoDocDined on 6/13/2014Very enjoyable! Very nice ambiance reminded me of the deep south. Food is what I would call "Southern Classic Chic"! We will be back many times!Special Features:
- Noisy and Rude 6/13/14SuzyTBakerVIPDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I were looking to have a quiet dinner out after a very busy and difficult week. Unfortunately that was not the case. When we arrived the restaurant was empty. We were seated at a table for two by the window. within 10mins a group of about 10 people were seated right behind us and they were so loud and disruptive. Their conversations were very inappropriate and it just escalated as the evening progressed. The staff seem to know them very well and even had their favorite bottles of wine chilling. I suspect that this behavior was permitted since they are regulars. We couldn't wait to leave! This was my husbands first visit and although the food and service were fantastic we will not be back. Back to the Stone Rose!Special Features:
- Oysters, oy!GDawgVIPDined on 6/10/2014Great and plentiful fried oysters. Same for the server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/3/2014I'm glad I tried this place. I had the Shrimp & Grits and the fried pickles and was blown away! I will definitely make this place a regular spot for dinner. The prices are reasonable and the portions, I thought, were huge.Special Features:
- Lovely diningEat2liveDined on 6/3/2014I received rave reviews for finding Southern Cross. It was my responsibility to locate a midway point to meet for an elderly woman, an old friend of my Moms, and her daughter. They we very impressed with my choice and my Mother and I also enjoyed the whole experience as well. My mother often times will have a craving for fried chicken....needless to say that the entree she chose was perfect. The wait staff was friendly and very patient with our more elderly diners that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 73 reviews are from the Southern Cross Kitchen reviews archive.
- Outstanding!ChrisDined on 5/24/2014We've been to Southern Cross several times and have gotten different entree's, sandwiches, and apps - and this time was no different. The short rib flat bread was excellent. The grilled cheese with short rib was tender, soft, and tasty. Of course, the fried tomatoes and fried pickles were as good as always and a must not miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day PerfectionSawwhetowl2VIPDined on 5/11/2014My mother grew up on Southern cooking, and made southern recipes most of her life. This was a true treat for her. The collard greens are prepared just like my grandmother and my mom made them! DELICIOUS! The homemade buttermilk biscuits were amazing. The short ribs to die for. Pulled pork was succulent and tender. Delicious short rib flatbread was so incredibly different than anything I've ever eaten! Fried chicken just like my Aunt used to make, crispy, tender and juicy, and pure southern heaven. I would recommend this to anyone that knows Southern cooking, and longs for the comfort of those foods, without the grease and mess! Dessert - never had room for it. Hopefully next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ownerTine22Dined on 5/10/2014Kim is great, she is always there saying hi to the patrons at her restaurants and clearly takes a lot of pride in her restaurants. We continue to go to Southern Cross and invite others to enjoy it as well. We truly can't find food at another restaurant that compares.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Massively disappointingMaxtheMaxmanVIPDined on 5/4/2014Had reservations for brunch. Was put in the bar. Menu nothing special. Walked out.
- A great find!KlabDined on 5/3/2014Excellent, fun southern fair. Best fried oysters I've ever had (and I've had a ton) and really tasty catfish tacos. Interesting menu. Excellent service. Live music. All good!Special Features:
- Awesome Brunchmjh2691Dined on 4/26/2014I went to Southern Cross for Brunch with a few friends over the weekend. Great deal for bottomless drinks and the food was AMAZING.Special Features:
- Hit or missKceatsDined on 4/25/2014I didn't like my salad but I've eaten here before and they have good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and freezingBingDingDined on 4/25/2014This was my 2nd trip to SCK and my first dinner experience. It was very noisy upstairs where we sat. I think there was some kind of party going on? And then a musician started playing at only 8:00 pm. The air conditioning was blowing so hard our hair was moving. Both my table and the table next to us asked to have it turned down and it was temporarily. Oysters were wonderful but cooled off so quickly with the A.C. directly pouring on them. I think I'll stick with lunch and downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatEerionVIPDined on 4/24/2014Our entrees were very good, the burger for my husband and the catfish tacos for me. Tasty, prepared very well. Had the fried green pickles and fried green tomatoes for apps. Not so good. Not very much flavor in the pickles, other than the pickles. Batter needed salt. Tomatoes were just odd. Of course, I'm from the South where everything fried is pretty much perfect. Need to save any fried food cravings for trips home.Special Features:
- Rushed from goOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2014So we made a reservation but the second we got there the wait staff let us know that they overbooked and needed our table. I was intro'ing a work colleague new o the area to both Conshy and the area plus his wife but the wait staff made sure to continually remind us they overbooked. It was not only Awkward but rude as they kept pushing us to order and leave.Special Features:
- Easter dinneraliciaDined on 4/20/2014My family & I ate here for Easter dinner last weekend. We were blown away! The vibe was great, service fantastic & the food incredible! I had such a great experience & can't wait to come back. I'll definitely be recommending it to anyone who wants a good dining experience in Conshy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.