Southern Art and Bourbon Bar
3315 Peachtree Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30326Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
Southern Art and Bourbon Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southernart.com/
- Phone: 4049469070x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:30am, Saturday & Sunday: 7:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Bourbon Bar: Daily: 12:00pm - 2:00am; Artisan Ham Bar: Monday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern
- Executive Chef: Chef Timothy Magee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Please see our website events page for scheduled live music!
- Special Events: Brandi Farrow
A word from Southern Art and Bourbon Bar
Southern Art combines a hip, urban eatery with classic Southern charm, offering Southern-inspired cuisine and cocktails in a welcoming, relaxed atmosphere. The restaurant features an artisan ham bar and vintage pie table along with the sophisticated bar and lounge area, Bourbon Bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
Southern Art and Bourbon Bar - Best Restaurants in Buckhead ›
Southern Art and Bourbon Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)special occasion (47)good for groups (36)vibrant bar scene (30)romantic (29)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (19)great for outdoor dining (16)neighborhood gem (15)great for brunch (12)hot spot (11)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- blah...OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/29/2014salad was not memorable nor tasty and the soup (sausage gumbo) was bad.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2014Knowing Chef Art Smith's reputation, I was really looking forward to dining there. We went to brunch on Sunday. We ordered chicken and waffles, pretty standard Southern brunch fare. The chicken was good but it was a huge bone-in fried breast placed next to a lukewarm mediocre tasting waffle. It was just okay. I expected much better. Even the cheese biscuits with butter were just okay but to me, not the only type of biscuit I expect at breakfast or brunch. I didn't realize the restaurant was part of the Intercontinental but the Intercontinental isn't just a hotel, so I definitely wouldn't expect "hotel food." That said, our server was extremely nice and attentive.
- Good Food and FunOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2014Service was good - disappointed that when we got there - although I had an Opentable reservation and called that a.m. to confirm they still had to put the tables together for 10 people.....other than food as always was wonderfulSpecial Features:
- A Find in BuckheadOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/25/2014In town one night for business, I booked Southern Arts because it was near our hotel and had good reviews. This is the hotel restaurant for the Intercontinental in Buckhead, and so they get hotel traffic with families and such. Food is Southern comfort food inspired, nice wine list, service is top notch, ambiance is pleasant and quiet. We started with a cheese board and fried oyster deviled eggs, which were great. I had a hanger steak with sweet potato fries and a side of greens, my wife did scallops. Everything was perfect. I even managed to order an obscure bourbon after dinner which I had wanted to try, and they had it. Evening was interrupted by a hotel alarm, but everyone kept calm. A good night over all. Would return happily.Special Features:
- LouisDined on 10/25/2014Celebrated our anniversary. Service was excellent. The food and its presentation was excellent.Special Features:
- One word...CharcuterieOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Our server was very attentive and personable. We ordered the charcuterie sampler, which was amazing for an appetizer. Both the scallops and braised pork shank were phenomenal. They also have excellent concktails, owing to the fact that they are connected to a bourbon bar. I would go back to this restaurant again and again.Special Features:
- SusanVIPDined on 10/21/2014Food was fair. Service was horrendous. The server barely greeted our table and although he seemed to be waiting on a total of three tables on a very slow day managed to make us wait 25 minutes before even taking our order. Beyond that, he never really inquired as to whether we needed anything, was unable to get the check divided correctly and had a generally surly attitude. Based on food that was below the quality we would have expected for the price, the horrendous service and the 20 minute wait for the valet to bring my car, I would not recommend this restaurant nor would I return. Very disappointing.
- firsttimeDined on 10/11/2014The staff was very attentive and polite and we were seated right away. Although our sever was a little slow he was very knowledgeable about the menu. He told our party he had waited on Oprah recently at the restaurant and that the chef had been her personal chef for 10 years. We order a variety of items and they were all delicious. We would definitely dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than everfashfamilyVIPDined on 10/9/2014My wife and I love SA. The food is the best of southern cooking presented in an upscale way. The bourbon glazed pork shank was the better than the last time we were there. The crispy exterior and fall of the bone tender inside was perfect along side the smoky collard greens. The fried chicken was crispy, juicy, and well seasoned. A side of mac and cheese brought it all together. SA is not as well known as it should be. If you haven't tried it, you should. If you have, you should try it again.Special Features:
- High end southern classicsOutOfTownerDined on 10/9/2014The service was fabulous. The food was a classy take on basic southern dishes. Pork shank, rainbow trout, two drinks and tip was $120.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/3/2014Food was good but have had the same items elsewhere that were better. The best thing about this place is the ambience and the drinks. Good that they provide 3 hour complimentary service so you can also enjoy the bar after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceGuestVIPDined on 10/1/2014My husband and I had reservations for 6:00 on a Wednesday night at Southern Art. We were on vacation, both looking forward to the evening as we are fans of Chef Art Smith and we were excited to get the opportunity to dine in his restaurant. The restaurant was not busy, there were only two other tables seated at the time we arrived. We were greeted by a server assistant and were presented with two biscuits with a side of butter and pickled vegetables. The biscuits were cold and tasted like they had been prepared earlier and sitting out for awhile. We were then greeted by our server who made suggestions regarding the menu. I ordered the famous fried chicken and my husband ordered the shrimp and grits. We also ordered a trio of vegetables on the side that consisted of grilled vegetables, succotash and collard greens. The fried chicken I received was hard and was very dry, the mashed potatoes and green beans that accompanied the chicken were at best average. My husband's entree contained shrimp that had not been cleaned properly and the trio of vegetables were cold and tasted like leftovers. We had the banana pudding pie for dessert, it was nothing special and the slice we had contained only two small pieces of banana. The service was fair and we felt we received better service from the assisant than from our server. There was a manager on the floor in the restaurant but he concentrated his time on one of the two other tables in the restaruant. The only time I got his attention was when my husband and I wanted to take our wine into the bar area to finish it, he approached us and inquired where we were going with the wine. I took that opportunity to share with him our disappointment regarding our dinning experience that evening. He listened to our concerns but did not seem overly concerned and made very little comment. The whole experience was an expensive disappointment and not one I would like to repeat anytime soon.
- Unique Interior & Southern Goodnessdevls24Dined on 9/26/2014Loved the interior decorations - both on ceiling and dining chairs. The Hambar was a great touch! Waiter was excellent and drinks were even better. Bourbon Bar was hopping when we left - great live music too!Special Features:
- Walked outfoodforfunVIPDined on 9/21/2014I made a reservation for a friends birthday, got a great table and then received almost no service. It took us 10 minutes to get water and after 15 minutes with no service, we walked out of the restaurant. What a disappointment. There were several other tables having the same lack of service. We won't be back.
- Great Bourbon Bar!celebrate214everDined on 9/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the selection of bourbon offered and the very creative cocktails imagined on the cocktail menu. This is by far the best bourbon bar in town! The food was well prepared and thoughtfully presented and while there were no complaints food wise, the service was the only area that could have been improved upon. When diners are out for a night on the town, they enjoy being taken care of by an attentive staff who makes them feel welcomed. As the meal progressed, the service began to dwindle, yet the restaurant was not busy. Since it was our first time, I would like to think it was just an odd occurrence and not the norm. We will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Food and AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Our server, Terrence was great. He provided recommendations and anticipated our next request. The food was well prepared and delicious. The ambiance was relaxing and beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VineyarddcVineyarddcVIPDined on 9/17/2014Not sure why it took us so long to go here- but absolutely enjoyed it and will definitely return. Tasted a little of everything our party of four had and everything was delicious. The collard greens and succotash were a healthier version of what my grandmother made and yet still delicious- the fried chicken was great! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressediliketoeatDined on 9/14/2014The chicken and dumpling soup was good. I had the fries green tomatoes; did not like them. They were bland. The fried chicken was juicy and had nice, crispy skin, but it too was bland and not seasoned. The mac and cheese was creamy and had flavor, but not my cup of tea.Special Features:
- Ok for drinks and appsHungryHippoDined on 9/3/2014We had a group of 6. The ham bar was amazing, but apps do not make a restaurant. The entrees were all ok, but definitely not worth the price paid. Dessert wasn't anything special either. It would be a good place to grab some drinks and snack on apps, but I wouldn't be interested in a meal there.
- Not for the price pointKFW918Dined on 8/31/2014Nice decor and Service was great. The kitchen needed help. If you order their signature dish of Fried Chicken it should be the best you ever had, I would recommend looking for something else. The Trout was great and the appetizer we good. However for Southern food in Atlanta Mary Macs Tearoom would have been a better choice and that's not saying much.Special Features:
- Southern artOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014The restaurant was amazing the food and the service was awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AppetizersiopcharliesouthforeverDined on 8/29/2014Ham bar awesome! Duck not so much Pork roast ok Desserts greatI would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Wow!BrooklynBoundDined on 8/28/2014This was a reminder of why we go out to eat. Everything, and I do mean everything, was great. From the way we were greeted to the sendoff after the meal, every employee was extremely courteous and professional. With this atmosphere, it would have been ok if the food was just good, but no. It was excellent! The pork shank and the fried chicken were very tasty, the mac and cheese and collards were among the best. I will go back for the bourbon pecan pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great service and food! Only issue: we went on a Saturday night and they did not have a sommelier available! Loved the imaginative bourbon drinks!Special Features:
- Good food and elegantauditigerVIPDined on 8/23/2014A nice, easy-to-access restaurant with a fun bar on the outskirts and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still remembering my dinner!SuziDined on 8/23/2014This was one of the very best, most memorable meals I've ever had. I had accidentally made my reservation online at 7:45 AM. The restaurant still accommodated us with a great table. Our waiter was excellent, and I'm still thinking about the food three days later!!! Don't miss the ham bar, the deviled eggs, and the pork shank over collard greens was one of the most outstanding entrees I've ever eaten. Yay!!! Can't wait to return!!Special Features:
- Perfect!lovegoodfoodVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food, the service and the ambiance were the perfect complement to dinner with our good friends (two couples attending). There wasn't one item we ordered that disappointed! The ham bar was quality, local cheese plate a wonderful selection, deviled eggs with fried oysters on top were delightful, the trout perfect, the best fried chicken we've had in ages and the pork shank (from a really big pig) was mouthwatering and rich. The banana pudding pie literally disappeared before I could have a second bite. A bit of a food frenzy, but spectacular! Our server was most gracious and helpful. I never write reviews but the food and service were so good I feel obligated to share. Also, we're Bourbon lovers and the Old Fashioneds were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome find.ylg1976Dined on 8/16/2014This great restaurant was featured on Atlanta Eats & decided to try it out. I'm so glad I did. My co-woker (Suzanne) & I really enjoyed the entire experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/3/2014normally you would not think Hotel food would be good - Southern Art was incredible -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Food with Pizazz2havepeaceVIPDined on 8/1/2014We loved the food, service, environment, drinks and comfort of the place. Our waiter was very knowledgeable of the menu and drinks. The rosemary biscuits, creamy shrimp and grits, the fried chicken and the hickory smoked ham were my favorites. Great flavor in everything! And, we shared a great flight of Four Roses bourbons, which I loved. The prices were high, but not over-the-top for a nice place in Buckhead. I didn't like having to valet and walk through the hotel to get to the place, but I understand it's common in Buckhead and they did validate parking. We would go back again for a special occasion. I want to try their pecan pie and more items on the Ham Bar next time!Special Features:
- This is not soul foodSoulfood1023Dined on 7/26/2014So I made these resevations about a month in advance because it was rated best soul food in buckhead, Atlanta Ga. The place is pretty and the staff were nice but the food is horrible. I thought this was going to be good soul food in an upscale environment. This was not the case. The food was the worst that I have ever had. I had the fried chicken, collard greens, and macncheese. The biscuits that they serve were gross. The red velvet cake which I was very excited to try was disgusting. And I mean nasty. I was disappointed as I planned this as a stopping point on my trip to Atlanta. I came all the way to Atlanta to stop at this restaurant and was disappointed. Do not believe YELP. If you want real soul food stay away!
- Excellence in Buckhead, GAgefryjrVIPDined on 7/24/2014My second time dining at the Southern Art and Bourbon Bar was as good as the first! This time, I took a customer with me, and the experience was just right. The service was attentive without being intrusive, and the atmosphere was active but we were still able to carry on our conversation at the table. My flight was delayed several hours, and the staff were flexible with my reservation. All in all, a very well-run establishment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RojoRojoVIPDined on 7/24/2014My wife and I had the wonderful sides flights, and these good ol' southern dishes were prepared in an excellent way. Our server was excellent, and added to a super dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved!!!Sweettea78Dined on 7/20/2014We went on a date night and loved the food. Our server Ryan, was very knowledgeable regarding food and drinks. We will be back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Ham Bar!BonnieYDined on 7/18/2014I had good friends visiting from Korea that evening. Loved the various tastings of American artisanal hams! Also, ordered the deviled eggs with fried oysters and the fried chicken. My friends devoured the house-made pickles and ordered more. Piece de resistance: 12-layer red velvet cake! Lovely service.Special Features:
- SatisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014The ambiance was very calm and relaxing which distracted me for the most part that service was slow. Our wait person was very nice however our food, appetizer and drinks took time to get to our table. We had fried green tomatoes that didn't have much flavor the drinks were awesome and the dinner was good, not excellent. I would go back though because the atmosphere was so pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gdj3VIPDined on 7/13/2014Bourbon Bar was excellent as usual, with great selection and knowledgable, friendly bartenders. Had excellent service at cool Southern Art for dinner. Food was nicely done and overall the meal lived up to our past memories.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice spotNatinATLDined on 7/12/2014We tried Southern Art for the first time and overall were very pleased. The drinks were great and the bourbon flight is good to try a variety. The nice lady who help us select our drinks and answer questions was very knowledgeable and nice. The ham board and cheese board appetizer were great and the fresh bread is yummy. Everyone got fish as their meal for some odd reason, but we all really liked it. My trout was quite tasty. The service was only fair though. Slow, marginally attentive, even irritated at times and I don't think were an especially difficult group. Maybe they were having a bad day? I'll try it again. Don't forget to get your parking validated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS ADDITION TO ATLANTAdebbiedoodahDined on 7/10/2014I live in California, and recently flew into Atlanta - I am a Foodie, and prior to my arrival i did my homework and selected Southern Art - the menu sounded great. My sister in law lives in Athens and after she picked me up from the airport we went to lunch. We were seated promptly and quickly brought a beautiful tray of fluffy biscuits, pickled vegetables, and a special butter. My sister in law loves shrimp and grits so that is what she ordered, and I ordered the fried chicken. Everything was excellent; and the food and service were fantastic. Definitely a great experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDavidVIPDined on 7/9/2014We ate here twice on our last visit and loved it. But service was very slow this time and it detracted from the overall experience.Special Features: