Southerly Restaurant and Patio - Richmond
2250 Staples Mill Road
Richmond, VA 23230Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Southerly Restaurant and Patio - Richmond
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.southernseason.com/restaurant/richmond/
- Phone: 8042923447
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:30am - 10:30am
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Small Plates: Monday - Friday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday- Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday: 7:30am - 5:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Joseph Durante
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Cocktails, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer off-site catering through our Southern Season Deli and Prepared Foods department. Contact us directly for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Space seats 60 for full sit down dinner or can be split into two spaces for 30 people. Outdoor space also available.
- Private Party Contact: Naomi Conklin 8042923447
A word from Southerly Restaurant and Patio - Richmond
Southerly Restaurant capitalizes on the abundance of local farmers and artisans across the state of Virginia, from the Tidewater region to the Shenandoah Valley. The Executive Chef designs menus for breakfast, lunch, dinner and weekend brunch that make the most of seasonal ingredients with a nod towards Richmond’s deep Southern roots. Echoing the inviting atmosphere of Southern Season, expect a casual yet refined feel fit for every occasion, whether an afternoon lunch or a special event. Executive Chef Joseph Durante III began his culinary career at his mother’s traditional Italian table in his Wisconsin home, later making his way across the United States to diversify his craft. With stints in Louisiana, Texas and Virginia, award-winning Chef Durante applies his international training to classic Southern fare with a commitment to sourcing fresh, local ingredients. Southerly is Richmond’s newest dining destination!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Southerly Restaurant and Patio - Richmond - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Southerly Restaurant and Patio - Richmond reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)great for lunch (58)good for groups (53)great for outdoor dining (53)great for brunch (53)special occasion (39)neighborhood gem (33)kid-friendly (12)notable wine list (10)romantic (8)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Shrimp and grits and salmon dishes are not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our mealLucyDined on 9/14/2014I had the opportunity to eat there for dinner and had a delicious spinach salad. Recently my husband and I took two out of town family members for brunch and we all enjoyed our meal! The quiche was good--would have preferred warm quiche with the salad served first. We had an enjoyable meal except for when another waitress dropped a glass full of water on the cement floor--oops. Plus we had loud, unruly children nearby, but can't do anything about that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food & Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014We love Southern Season so after checking out the menu for Southerly we decided to give it a try for dinner. We ordered the summer squash soup, the southerly burger, the chesapeake bay crab cake and the sweet tea-glazed salmon. All of the dishes were amazing and full of flavor. The salmon was our favorite! We were so full from dinner that we had no room for dessert, but will definitely return to try some. The service was great; our waiter was friendly and the food was served quickly.Special Features:
- I hope time will help.MadonnaDined on 9/13/2014My first visit was for dinner when they were first open. Food was decent, nothing special. The service was very poor, and the restaurant was croweded with disgruntled patrons. This tme was for lunch. I was seated politely, then ignored for 8 minutes. Finally I asked a passing server to ask my server to stop by so I could get a menu and water. Three minutes later, my server arrived and was apologetic. She was competent and polite the rest of the meal. My food, chicken salad, was boring. The tomato basil soup was adequate, but nothing special. My friend's meatloaf was good enough,but she would not order it again. Sadly, we do not have any reason to return, except convenience, if we are shopping in the attached marvelous store.
- Great for Lunch with Friendsluv525Dined on 9/13/2014I just had a delicious lunch with three of my friends. We were celebrating a birthday. It was great to see a brunch menu for Saturday so we could choose breakfast or lunch. The food was delicious! The birthday girl had the friend green tomato BLT. She said it was the best sandwich she ever ate (and she's a foodie). We ate outdoors and the atmosphere was quiet and peaceful. Our waitress, Jessica, was outstanding. The hostess accommodated us by splitting the bill between three of us so we could pay equally for the birthday girl. I made this request to the hostess in advance; thereby saving time when the bill came. We have already recommended Southerly Restaurant and Patio to our friends. And you can shop after you eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely brunch spotKrisDined on 9/13/2014I especially love that their brunch menu is available on Saturdays and they open early AM. One of the few spots in Richmond that does that. The food is good, the ambiance is nice and the outdoor patio is FABULOUS - enjoy it while the weather is still nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Improving!vagentlemanVIPDined on 9/12/2014Our 2nd visit was better than the 1st. Food was served hot (1st time it was cold!) and tasty. We both had the salmon and enjoyed it very much. We sat outside on a pleasant evening. It would have been more pleasant if the wait-staff hadn't kept dumping dirty plates into a receptical near our table - LOUDLY! Once could have been a mistake, more than once indicates inattention, or worse, inconsideration!! Took a long time to get bread - and an even longer time to get bread plates delivered to the table! Obviously, improving but still a work-in-progress.Special Features:
- good lunch option in areaRichmondFoodieVIPDined on 9/11/2014First time at Southerly's - and first time at Southern Season. I had a good spinach salad, nothing remarkable. Prices a little high, but very nice ambience. I'd go back - if only to give me an excuse to wander the new store again!Special Features:
- my first visit was just okayaem1Dined on 9/7/2014I went for brunch with s friend. The outdoor patio was pretty and not that busy on Sunday morning. My friend ordered eggs and I ordered the french toast. When our food was deliverecwe had to adk for silverware, salt and pepper, sugar for the tea. Our waiter did not have many tables but he was not very friendly or engaged in serving us. My french toast was just okay and even though made from their homemade raison bread it was not special. A table near us consisted of a mother and two kids were seated before us. We received and finished our food before they were served. From what I could see they had not ordered anything that would take a long time to cook. For the price there are plenty of other brunch options in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and shopping tooOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014We had a fabulous dinner there this weekend. But our 14-year-old daughter and tried the deviled eggs, homemade barbecue chips, mac & cheese, fried green tomatoes, and ribeye. We were extremely full but still couldn't pass up the desserts and had the chocolate mousse, Keylime in the jar,& peach crisp. The first two were divine.Special Features:
- Girls Night OutEatOutDined on 9/6/2014The four of us went to Southern Season first, then had reservations to Southerly's. We were seated quickly and the waitress was very friendly and helpful throughout our meal by helping us with wine selections, describing different dishes, and not rushing us. Food was wonderful. Shrimp and Grits, Salmon and Steak were enjoyed by all. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ready2eatDined on 9/6/2014Food was good. Not too noisy, easy to talk. Chairs, booth comfortable. Our second visit. The first time, our waitress was experienced and it showed. This past Saturday, our waitress seemed inexperienced. The service was slow, one item was missing and she said it was coming. I asked if the bottled sparkling water was in a big or a small bottle, and she said small, which was what I wanted and then she brought a large bottle. She asked us if everything was okay at least 6 times, and it began to get annoying. We had to ask another waiter for a refill on drinks, because she was so long coming back. She never did come back to get the bills, so again, we had to ask someone else to take our credit cards (we were with another couple).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehRVADINERVIPDined on 9/6/2014We went to Southerly for Saturday brunch. The interior felt sterile and cold. The tables are granite-topped, the floor painted concrete. Kind of felt like an upscale Morrison's cafeteria. We were seated by a friendly hostess who seated us in a booth large enough for a party of 8. Awkward. we ordered fried chicken and asparagus benedict. The chicken was gluten free, so the buttermilk fried coating did not stick to the meat, which was one small, flavorful but rubbery thigh. For $14, I expected more. The benedict was good, but nothing to write home about. I enjoyed a lovely glass of Virginia wine for $5, but only after asking to see a wine list. The banana pudding cheesecake was delicious, if rather small. No reason to return.Special Features:
- LunchMEmeDined on 9/6/2014Cinnamon buns delicious. Quiche was not good - crust was too thick and poor presentation. Served it on a small plate, with no garnish.Special Features:
- BL Fried Green TomatoEnjoysFoodWithFriendsDined on 9/6/2014Thought this was unusual so had to try it. Delicious! 4 out of 5 of us enjoyed this with cooked perfectly sweet potato fries. Fried tomato was delicious, without that horrible hard core. Want to return for the Shrimp and Grits. Restaurant is very roomy, with lots of room between tables so you might have great conversations and not worry about your neighbors. Restaurant is not cozy. Great booths--with bench seating and chairs. Jamal was our server. We had water drinkers at the table and he was fast to refill glasses. He cleared empty plates as soon as they were empty but was not intrusive. He was helpful when we added an extra person to our party. When the weather cools would like to try the patio, but it is situated beside drive entrance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New and obviously not found yetEmmieDined on 9/5/2014The decor and ambiance are very different from The Weathervane in Chapel Hill, its sister restaurant. A little too stark and open. Menu pretty much the same. Food is well done, service was attentive. My only complaint is one that goes for a lot of restaurants. The wait staff when asked for assistance responds with "No problem." meaning the customer did have a problem but they are excusing it. Why not say, "Of course" or "I'll be glad to help."They need some seasoning but it will be all right. They just need a little maturity.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014we were looking forward to the meal after too short a tour through the restaurant. we ordered the pimiento cheese fritters appetizer- YUM. however, the rest of the meal from choosing from sandwiches/salads to getting our check was so-so. the menu options that sounded so appealing when viewed from my desk at work were less so after eyeing the prepared food case in the store. my companion had the salad plate (Selection of 3 of "5" salads, but the chef's special won't be available til next month - huh??). she reported that the three she chose were nothing special, and in my opinon just didn't look that fresh. i had a spinach salad that was decent. our server was friendly but in the end we had to flag down help to get our check.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/4/2014A little pricey, but you won't be disappointed. I ordered a salad with grilled chicken and a blue cheese and avocado dressing that was wonderful, although I would have preferred they put it on the side because they used much more than I needed.Special Features:
- A good place for lunch with friendsJanLyDined on 9/4/2014Menu was nicely diversified. I was able to find a diet conscious meal that tasted very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely planning a return visit!triviamomDined on 9/2/2014My friend and I met here for lunch yesterday. The food was excellent, the ambiance nice, the service very good, and the noise level moderate. My friend had the soup and 1/2 sandwich combo - the sandwich was tasty, the broccoli-cheese soup a little salty. I had the NC shrimp and grits. The grits were cooked perfectly, loose but not soupy. The shrimp and sausage were nicely seasoned, and the broth could work on its own. We split the peach crisp for dessert - yummy! Our waiter was attentive and professional - he split the dessert between our two checks without us having to ask him to do so. All in all, we had a great meal - and time. We definitely plan to go back!Special Features:
- DisappointingAllenVIPDined on 9/1/2014We were expecting much more from Southerly. The food was OK, but nothing special. Our waitress hardly ever came by after initially taking our order. All of the employees that we encountered except for one seemed bored.
- Great Southern CuisineLucyDined on 9/1/2014The breakfast experience was really delicious. Rich flavors and enjoyed the comfort food.Special Features:
- Great food!MartyM1000Dined on 8/31/2014The food was great, service good, very attentive. We had to wait just a bit too long for our food. Would definitely return again and again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Waiter was very unhelpful and blah. had to ask for even water refills. got a little better nearer tip timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat 8/30OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Menu had limited offerings. Friend's meal was delivered lukewarm. Waitress was very responsive and got her a new meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but slowOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/29/2014The food for both lunch and dinner is delicious and well-presented. Some extra touches lift this restaurant above some of its peers. The restaurant has been open less than a month as of this writing and is still having some issues. Sandwiches at lunch took an unusually long time to come from the kitchen even though the restaurant was less than half full at the time. As the staff and the systems mature and work out the timing issues, this will be a destination restaurant.Special Features:
- Eagle1Dined on 8/28/2014The food was really delicious and the wait staff was pleasant. However the service was quite slow. There was an unusually long wait time between courses, even though the restaurant was not especially busy. We will certainly return and hope for the same quality of food but better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing mealPamRVIPDined on 8/26/2014I so looked forward to eating at this new restaurant. There was so much publicity since the opening that I couldn't wait to get there. Although the food was ok, the portion size was not that great and the food was ok but not as tasty as I had expected. I will try this restaurant again to give it a second chance. We shared the spinach salad and the fish tacos. I have had better elsewhere.
- DisappointedJodashdeDined on 8/26/2014Our server was a bit too energetic and rah rah. I asked several questions about the foods on the menu, but I received answers that indicated either she had not been trained thoroughly or she was just bluffing her way through. Then SUMMER squash soup came and it was the color of butternut squash soup and tasted identically to that (or even sweet potato). It was good, but I told her that I was confused because it said summer squash and it tasted and looked like winter squash. She told me that she saw the squash being cut up in the kitchen and it was summer squash - then I saw on the salad bar that the soup was labeled "butternut squash." The shrimp and grits were good but the shrimp needed to be seared for better flavor and texture.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/25/2014Patio will be much better when nearby construction is completeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated hypeawesomeVIPDined on 8/24/2014Just mixed the mark and for the food served and how slow they were it took to long to get our food and to get our check. We we're ask 2 or 3 if we done before they got the message that we were done
- SuperlativeMikeSDined on 8/23/2014While eating the duck and mushroom hash, I kept thinking about the Food Network show The Best Thing I Ever Ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing second visitdisappointedDined on 8/23/2014I had visited the week prior for Saturday breakfast and enjoyed the food. I decided to return the following weekend with my senior parents. Our reservation was for 9:30 and we were seated right away. The restaurant was notably more crowded than the previous week. The waitress couldn't answer questions about the hot teas on the menu and didn't offer to find the answer. There was plenty of waitstaff, but the kitchen was very backed up. We waited 45 minutes for our meal to be served. The waitress only checked on us once. We ran out of beverages and were not offered refills. When our breakfast arrived, the bacon was cold. The grits had been overcooked and resembled mashed potatoes. I will never get my father to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, service not so muchVACajunDined on 8/21/2014We had the fried green tomatoes and pimento cheese fritters as a starter and they were excellent. For entrees, we had the basalmic steak and shrimp and grits. The steak was delicious, although we asked for potatoes substituted for spinach and the potatoes were pretty bland. The shrimp and grits were about the best I've ever had anywhere, and being from Louisiana, that's saying a lot! The service was not so great, but the tasty food compensated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A/c problems!GardenersVIPDined on 8/21/2014We had a great meal in a lovely restaurant, but they need to get their HVAC system fixed! We were cold and, though we told our server, there was no relief! Even the adjoining retail area was uncomfortably cold. Our server was nice, but trying too hard to be personable- a bit overboard if you catch my drift. We talked to some friends who went at another time and they had the same problem.Special Features:
- Food good, Service PoorLittleSisterDined on 8/21/2014We had reservations and were seated on time. However that was the only promptness we witnessed. Our waiter was slow to recognize us and come to our table. We ordered coffee and water. He brought the coffee but forgot the water. When our meals arrived I had ordered sweet potato fries with a special sauce. They arrived with ketsup!! I finally had to flag down the hostess to get the correct sauce. Our waited never checked back in on us to see if everything was satisfactory. He never offered to refill our coffee. He was quick to bring the check!! We will go again but will make sure we don't have that waiter again. I will remember his face. We saw other wait staff continually checking with diners ours needs retraining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Southern Lunch Event..BethDined on 8/21/2014Enjoyed a delightful lunch, yummy salad and terrific soups!! The menu is a treat with all the Southern titles, phrases and catchy names. Something for everyone... Lovely decor, how can you miss with fresh flowers everywhere... Friendly and knowledgeable wait staff... will definitely return..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ready for prime timeAnneDined on 8/21/2014I had lunch here recently to treat a friend. We shared two appetizers (fried green tomatoes and pimiento cheese fritters) and a cold salad variety plate with a side of sweet potato fries. The fritters were very good, but the tomatoes were too heavily breaded which overpowered the tomato flavor. After our appetizers we waited for over 30 minutes with no entree. After about 30 minutes our server came by and said our food should be up soon. After another 10 minutes she came back and said the original order was lost and the new order would be up soon. We finally got our food after waiting almost an hour. The salads were fine but not worth the wait. We were graciously offered a free dessert as compensation which was very good (chocolate mousse).
- reservationsEcabellDined on 8/20/2014I made a reservation on line for 4 for dinner this week. We arrived on time and were shown a small table, cafe size, in the large room. Most of the other tables were occupied by people having drinks... not dinner. We asked if other tables were available and were shown a large round table that would sit 10 people ... so we wandered around and found a booth in the bar, which was fine. The reason I am taking the time to write you is that there was obviously no planning on where a party of 4 would like to sit for dinner. It was obvious that no table had been reserved! The staff needs to be trained on this issue.Special Features:
- A Southerly DisappointmentBellaDined on 8/20/2014Made reservations for (2). We were seated in a booth for (8-10) people. Very inappropriate. Food was too long coming out and it was cold, approx. 30 minute wait and this was just lunch. Website projects elegance and southern ambience with tablecloths, flowers etc. on tables. No tablecloths, tables were black-topped. There was no ambience and no southerly charm. We were very disappointed and will not return nor recommend Southerly as a place to eat, especially when the menu has few choices and is pricey.Special Features: