913 Front Street
Leavenworth, WA 98826Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southleavenworth.com/
- Phone: 5098884328
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Alfredo Garcia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two areas in the dining room which can be separated for semi-private dining facilities. In this situation other diners can be seen and heard. We also have a patio that can be rented in various ways, wither private or semi-private depending on group size and budget.
- Private Party Contact: Cappy or Price 5098884328
- Entertainment: SOUTH hosts local musicians on Fridays and the last Wednesday of each month. We book bands and individuals who play mostly original music that compliments the dining experience. We offer both instrumental and vocal styles. We host musicians for special party nights such as Cinco de Mayo and local group bike rides. Come sit on the patio with a drink or dinner and enjoy our talented musicians.
- Special Events: You can rent our patio. It holds up to 75 people.
- Cross Street: 9th Street
- Public Transit: The trolley stops in front of SOUTH and the Link bus stop is about 300 feet away.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: We are located across the street from a parking lot which has free and pay-per-use stalls. The street is less congested at our end of town which is the east end. We have two loading zones in front of our building which may be used to pick up to-go orders.
A word from SOUTH
SOUTH is a family friendly restaurant and bar, specializing in fresh Latin food and drinks. We serve high quality and flavor-filled recipes from Mexico, Cuba, Brazil and Peru. SOUTH is located in one of Leavenworth's original buildings. The old and the new converge to make a refreshing and comfortable modern space. Come see why Leavenworth's locals love SOUTH.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
SOUTH reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (8)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)fit for foodies (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Major disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/10/2014Having dined at south 2 previous times with great results, we went back again this year, if this would of been my first experience with this establishment I would never patronize again. The restuarant was not busy at the time of dining although it was during a Oktoberfest weekend. Food was delivered timely, but was luke warm if you had a vivid imagination, couple that with the fact that we were not brought the complimentary chips and salsa, a waitress serving an adjacent table spilled beans on our table and an adjacent table and chairs which we cleaned up as she did not. For some reason this does not seem to be the establishment we has visited previously, with many dining options available a repeat visit is unlikely.Special Features:
- Great staffMuncherDined on 9/27/2014Friendly staff, terrific Bloody Marys and other cocktails. We are here before and during the Parade every year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Awesome food! Enchiladas were amazing along w salsa and burritos for my family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDanMagDined on 8/31/2014I came here a few years back with another family of four. The eight of us sat out on the back patio. The ambiance was terrific and the food was good enough as I remember. I really loved the Al fresco dining experience. Fast forward to last weekend for lunch. Our seating was on the back patio per my request but we soon regretted it as the fly population was overrunning the diners. Really annoying. Our server was good and attentive but the food took way too long to come out which exasperated the fly situation. The food was fair - nothing remarkable which is what it needed to be to offset the flies and the length of time it took to get our food. I don't go to Leavenworth often but the next time I'll try another place. Off of front st.
- Put some South in your mouthgts1VIPDined on 8/20/2014I have been to and reviewed South before. The food is original and more authentic than the carbon copy Mexican restaurant establishments that can be found all over Washington state. If you're looking for something other than schnitzel or bratwurst in Leavenworth then South is the place to go.Special Features:
- Good Mexican in a Bavarian SeaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014South is a welcome reprieve from the Schnitzel based, Bavarian town themed options that abound in Leavenworth. One of the owners comes from a family of restaurateurs that frequent Mexico. Good food selection without being overwhelming. Nice outdoor seating area. The Carne Asada quesadilla has great flavor and is not overwhelmed by cheese as the meat is served on top of the quesadilla. Make sure to hit the salsa bar prior to digging in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Favorite place in Leavenworth--wish Seattle had this very restaurant. Great food, easy going spirit, great wait staff.Special Features:
- Very fresh & flavorfulLuvFranceVIPDined on 8/7/2014Recommended by a local & easy to reserve; we were very satisfied with our first visit. Good service, great food & good prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Music on the PatioSteveVIPDined on 8/1/2014We are regulars at South, but keep rediscovering it as we entertain friends from outside Leavenworth. We had yet another wonderful evening on the back patio listening to Stephen & Sergio play, drinking margaritas, and enjoying the wonderful food. Tried the smoked salmon tacos for first time -- excellent. My son had the Revolucion Shrimp burrito -- he also loved. Our friends loved the spicy green bean apps as well as the salsa bar. Great time as always -- thanks SOUTH!Special Features:
- A Top Choice in LeavenworthoutandaboutDined on 8/1/2014We eat at South frequently when we are in Leavenworth. Because of it's popularity, it can be really busy and the wait for tables can be long. But if you time it right the overall experience is excellent. Delicious choices from the menu. A vibrant atmosphere. Excellent service and helpful advise from the friendly wait staff regarding food selection. The bar area is small but the drinks are good. There is a patio for seasonal outdoor seating and live music (just on Fridays, I think).I would recommend this to a friend.
- not disabled friendlystessielouDined on 7/22/2014I have been to South a few times, and found it pleasant. This visit, I was with a friend who uses a wheelchair. The restaurant in not wheelchair friendly. Tables are too close together, and the hostess made a big production about moving chairs. Rather embarrassing and unnecessary. We were offered a basket of chips, not knowing we would be charged for them. That along with an overpriced drink special made for an expensive meal once our dinners were included. My friends burrito bowl was mostly lettuce, which made it more of a taco salad. Just a pretty basic meal. Overpriced and nothing special.
- DinnerSeattleSixDined on 7/12/2014My 5 friends and I came to South before going to the Sound of Music. I was surprised to have to pay for chips and salsa but the waitress did a good job of serving them and spreading the tab between the 6 of us. I was looking forward to Fish Tacos which tasted great. I have had them on the side road below Ensenada and they were just as good but very little fish in the taco. Super nice waitress and people bringing water. Nice fun atmosphere and clean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic way to end the day!carmelwinoDined on 6/27/2014So glad we settled on dinner at South for our group of 8. Love the convince of making reservations online. Our table was a five minutes late which was fine considering the size of our group. We where sat at an outdoor table in a cozy courtyard lined with grapevines. Service was great, drinks delicious and the food creative and flavorful. Everyone especially enjoyed the fantastic live music!Special Features:
- The following 151 reviews are from the SOUTH reviews archive.
- Father's Day After RaftingWhidbey6Dined on 6/15/2014Tasty food, good service. Only three salsas dished, of five advertised; but the two we tried were delicious! Third one looked too spicy. Great attention to gluten-free and dairy-free needs. Would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Healthy latin american foodjapanesophileDined on 5/25/2014Unlike the run of the mill Mexican restaurant where every dish tastes like a same or similar combination of rice, beans and greasy melted cheese, each of South's dishes are not only uniquely seasoned, but they taste clean and healthy. This is also a restaurant unafraid of spice, but they don't overdo it either. We were afraid that we had gone overboard ordering stingers (a tequila, lime, cilantro and jalapeno cocktail) along with stuffed jalapeno hors d'oeuvres, but the guacamole sauce over the stuffed jalapenos tempered the spice just right. The salsa bar selections were all first rate, although I do object to having to pay for chips. One warning - the restaurant is VERY LOUD - especially when customers have been drinking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite in LeavenworthMMMmmmgoodDined on 5/10/2014We make it a point to come here every time we're in Leavenworth. Food is delicious, drinks are even better (get a Stinger Margarita), you can't go wrong with this place.Special Features:
- Great service for a group of 8SteveVIPDined on 5/3/2014I host a guy's weekend in Leavenworth each year, and each year we end our day of friendly competition (golf, shooting hoops, target shooting, etc.) with a dinner at South. They do a great job accommodating our group. Salsa bar is outstanding, the shrimp enchiladas hit the spot and the various Latin drinks were appreciated by all!Special Features:
- Always a must in LeavenworthOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Food is good but basil margueritas are outstanding!!!!!! Our favorite restaurant. New decor is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so for a small townLadyNguyenDined on 4/5/2014We've walked past South countless times while in Leavenworth & decided to finally try it after reading such great reviews; needless to say we were pretty disappointed. We visited @ 8:30 PM on a Saturday night after making reservations on OpenTable. We were immediately seated & sat next to a bachelorette party whom were EXTREMELY loud & squeaky in such a confined environment. I had the Green Chicken enchilada, which I didn't enjoy at all, soggy, flavorless & had more topped lettuce than anything else. My husband had the Salmon Tacos which he said didn't taste fresh at all.
- Exceptional texmexBellinghamgirlVIPDined on 4/5/2014The margaritas here are great, love the vibrant colors, and the food is great - I don't usually care for Americanized Mexican food, but this is fresher sort of Tex-mex. yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny Bean ReviewHikerchicDined on 3/31/2014I have always enjoyed the little pot of string beans soaked in lime juice and sprinkled with sale. When I was recently in, they just were't as good. I believe they had some kind of seasoning salt instead of just plain seasalt. Both my husband and I had trouble sleeping that night and we were wondering if it was something in the seasoning. That is the only common item we ate or drank. Other than that the shrimp was nice tasting. Service was awesome as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FirstDateFirstDateDined on 3/8/2014It is a great place to have a? First Date dinner date because the setting is casual yet romantic. The food, service, and location was. Inexpensive but very 5 star. I made reservations the same day and the South honored the reservation quickly and courteously. I would recommend South leavenworth to anyone wanting a place for first date or a date night away from everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love itCarolDined on 3/7/2014This is a great little place with unique food. We go to the one in Leavenworth every time we are in town. We aren't locals. It's actually Latin American and not your typical Mexican food. We love the fresh chips and unique dishes. Have liked everything we have tried. Just a nice little spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best spot in Leavenworth for groupschloeVIPDined on 2/15/2014Came in for a friends birthday and naturally loved it. Service was excellent, menu had great variety for different appetites, and drink menu was perfect. We were able to laugh, be loud, and still fit in with the rest of the restaurant. We love South and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Latin food in BavariaJillDined on 2/14/2014We were looking for something other than Bavarian/German food in Leavenworth and came across South. The food and service were excellent. The carne asada quesadillas, chicken enchiladas, chile relleno, and the tacos were all very much enjoyed. Great atmosphere and convenient location. Would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We Love SOUTH!JohnLDined on 1/4/2014SOUTH is one of our favorite restaurants. Every time we have the chance we eat there. We just wish it wasn't so far away from us so we could enjoy it more often. It is a real gem. The food is exceptional, the setting is fun and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- busypammieDined on 1/1/2014We have ate at this restaurant before and really enjoyed the experience, however, this occasion we had reservations and we were placed practically in the kitchen. I felt pushed to eat fast and leave. I'm not sure if I would come back.Special Features:
- Always a treatNedrifleDined on 12/22/2013Fabulous and refined entrees, coupled with excellent service and a relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good drinks really average foodalfyDined on 12/12/2013Friendly staff and good drinks but really disappointed in the food. Felt like fast food with zero presentation. The beans and my carne Asada (which was actually minced meat) was drowned in liquid/sauce and it wasn't appetizing to look at or eat. Yummy Chile sauce on salsa bar and good bartender made the 80$ fast food bill not hurt so much.
- Leavenworth's BestKGEatsVIPDined on 12/1/2013South is a must stop every time we are in Leavenworth. The food is always fresh, the menu creative. The service is effecient and friendly.Special Features:
- South in LeavenworthGeorgeDined on 11/30/2013It may seem strange to choose a Mexican restaurant in America's Bavaria, but go figure. It was the highlight of our dining over four days in Leavenworth. The service was accommodating, friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. We were 5 adults and a toddler and all our meals were excellent. The margaritas were fresh and very tasty - about as good as a bar margarita gets. It was a bit on the loud side, but not too bad. Try it, you will love it!Special Features:
- We love SouthChuckDined on 11/29/2013We already knew we were going to like it since we had eaten there before. The basil daisy margarita is fantastic and was better than we recalled. I had the very flavorful Argentina steak frites, which went great with the drink. Pam had the seafood tostada. Also very good. Good service. Fun atmosphere. Great drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy! Needs some noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2013Too noisy! Needs some noise abatement. Great food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OctoberfestHalfmoonHoneyDined on 10/13/2013Tried this based on the recommendation of a local store cashier. Really fresh food. Good food/drink recommendations. Had a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurant...serviceedmonds1reviewerDined on 9/28/2013Great little restaurant...service was ok. Menu was a little bit confusing. Food was great. Pretty small place. Right off the main street in Leavenworth. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Always the friendliest!MuncherDined on 9/28/2013These group of workers are ALWAYS accommodating and friendly. There to please, stellar service, outstanding cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodVoorDined on 9/8/2013We love the food, service and location. Great place for meeting with friends. Also reasonable cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still StrugglingLongtimeregularDined on 8/30/2013We have been going to South since it opened. Back when the ownership was still involved On a daily basis on all fronts, the food was always fresh and served up Enthusiastically. Now, a few years on, the food comes mostly luke warm or colder, And the wait staff, with a few exceptions, seem bored or even put out to have to wait on tables. South benefits by virtue of being rather the "only game" of its kind in a little tourist town That is mostly devoid of any quality dining and cultural experiences. This should not dismiss Them of the responsibity to work harder and maintain high standards. They used to be great. They have done better. Now, it seems, they are resting on their (few) laurels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bottom line for a restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2013The bottom line for a restaurant has to be the food . . . I had a chicken enchilada w/ mole sauce. The sauce was okay, but the chicken was very dry. And high pricing for mexican, I know it's Leavenworth, but when the enchilada entree is already $12, charging $3 more for rice or beans is ridiculous; plus, you pay for chips, (not a large bowl), and a small (and I do mean small) cup of salsa takes the price of chips up to over $4. On the plus side, the staff were very friendly and attentive . . .I'm guessing lots of folks would find this restaurant just fine, to me it was disappointing other than as somewhere to meet with friends and chat.
- Flavorful Mexican Food!CromwellDined on 7/28/2013Our friends recommended it, and it delivered! Flavorful Mexican food! Very lively atmosphere. Offered different salsas, unlike your standard restaurants. Also offered flour or corn chips, but not complimentary. Still very worth visiting! I would go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.