South Water Kitchen
225 N. Wabash Ave.
Chicago, IL 60601Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
South Water Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southwaterkitchen.com/
- Phone: 3122369300x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30 - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 7:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Everyday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm. Tavern: 3:00pm-Close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Roger Waysok
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Service menu created to order.
- Special Events: Please visit our website for upcoming special events.
A word from South Water Kitchen
South Water Kitchen, adjacent to Chicago's hip Hotel Monaco, is a neighborhood restaurant offering American Home cooking. As a tribute to the kitchen table, South Water Kitchen remembers the time when the kitchen was the center of the home and the family meal was the most important time of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
South Water Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (61)great for brunch (48)good for groups (44)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (34)neighborhood gem (33)great for outdoor dining (29)romantic (22)notable wine list (21)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (12)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- A convenient location but not greatLongTimeFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014This place was nearly empty on a friday night of Labor Day weekend. So service should have been stellar, but it was slow. Food was generally quite tasty and well prepared. First course yellow gazpacho and salads, were all really good. For entrees the prawns, the pork chop, and scallops were delicious. Yet, three of us ordered mushroom ravioli with tarragon sauce and asparagus, it was not a good choice. Sauce was yummy, but the ravioli were awful, as the pasta was way too thick and the filing was way too thin--almost none existent. It was clearly not fresh pasta, which we had had the night before. Wine list was way too expensive, so we ordered glasses instead of bottles, spirits and local beers. Good not great, don't order pasta.
- Expérience agréableLoudecDined on 8/22/2014Nourriture de qualité cuite selon nos exigences et belle présentation. Menu varié avec quelques surprises agréables. Service dans les standards pour ce type de restaurant. Carte des vins acceptable et décors agréable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bread available upon requestNadjaDined on 8/21/2014Cheapest thing on the menu was a burger and that was $20. It was ginormous but didn't come with fries. It was good but not worth $20. The menu seemed to take normal foods and make them "weird". The burger had onion paste and kale on it. Surprising how it kind of worked. The drinks were unique and delicious though. And the service was terrific. Our waiter was nice and friendly and never acted like we were bothering him for something as simple as ketchup. Service is a 10. I just wouldn't return because of the prices for menu items that could either turn out amazing or disgusting to me. Too much of a gamble.Special Features:
- Good food. Good location.Boattourist08Dined on 8/13/2014Went on a boat tour and was looking for something close to the area. Found this place online with good reviews. Kinda cool when you walk in and the bar is right there almost like a diner setting. Unfortunately only about 8 bar stools but we were there to eat. Those patrons looked like they were having a good time with the personable bartender. We were sat in the lower level where it was quieter and away from the street views but that was ok. Nice drink menu with a good selection of craft beers and wines. Small but neat dinner menu with a special to choose from. We are the Scallops and the Sirloin. Both were excellent! If you had room the dessert menu looked very good too. We were generally happy with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that HappyUnhappyDinerDined on 8/11/2014My working lunch with a colleague was ok. I've dined at South Water Kitchen in past times and was disappointed with my service.
- Fantastic lunchDMarieDined on 8/7/2014We had a great lunch, easy to have a great conversation and excellent service.Special Features:
- Dinner for sixBillDined on 8/6/2014Went here after seeing afternoon show Motown the Musical. Different menu, with several different choices. Something for everyone's appetite.Special Features:
- Good food with lackluster servicefrequentchicagodinerDined on 8/6/2014We went here for a business lunch. The food, presentation, ambiance was all very good, especially in context for a business lunch. However, even considering that for a party of 10 the order should take longer, the service was extremely slow and the server was not attentive. There was a lack of communication by the server in general and they did not seem very energetic or interested. The restaurant was only half full too. I would recommend going back, but consider how much time you have to spend there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless Mimosas!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014What a great place for brunch, right in the middle of everything the food was delicious and the bottomless Mimosa deal cannot be beat! I would recommend this highly, wish we had more time to sit and relax but had to hit a matinee!Special Features:
- Late night findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2014We enjoy to finish a late evening here with a glass of wine a the deviled eggs! The eggs are fabulous! Service is always friendly, morning, noon or night! They also offer some very interesting flatbreads, quite tasty! Always enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food and service were very good, except for the chocolate cake that neither looked or tasted like chocolate cake but still tasty. We were impressed by the care and attention to detail to accommodate dietary needs of two in the party. Thank you.
- Great food, missing on servicenainaiDined on 7/28/2014Had a nice dinner here with great food. The daily special was salmon with pineapple salsa that was well done. Fixed price menu had good selections and was a bargain. Service could have been better, considering the restaurant was not full on a Monday night. Wine wasn't delivered until after the appetizer was served, no chiller for the wine, even though we requested one, and the bus boy tried to leave the used silverware from the first course for the entree, a pet peeve. Overall, still a good experience and would return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, attentive serviceHistoryProfDined on 7/26/2014I never write reviews, but this place is special. Celebrated mom's birthday with my sisters. My foodie sister and I delighted in the unusual and delicious textures and flavors produced by the kitchen, and Brody was very patient explaining to my Mom what a dill puree was. Disappointed that the salmon was farmed, but everything was fresh and beautifully presented. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- SHHHDined on 7/26/2014Delicious food. Terrific service. Wonderful place to celebrate a birthday.Special Features:
- A nice surpriseChuckFrommageDined on 7/25/2014Really enjoyed the place. Inventive menu and staff that seems interested in it without being overbearing. Great place to sit and talk and nosh. Just had a bunch of appetizers, flatbread etc. Really good and fun for a group.Special Features:
- Perfect for lunchHobbitDined on 7/24/2014Went with a group of eight for lunch. Food was great, and menu selection are varied enough that both hipsters and your grandmother will be happy. Enjoyed the beer flights, lamb burgers, salmon salad, and more. Terrific service, too.Special Features:
- Great Gluten-Free MenuijhutsonDined on 7/23/2014My daughter was very happy with her burger and mac and cheese from gluten free menu. I was happy with my soup as well. Very friendly service. I they checked my ID when I used a credit card. Too Many places don"t check your id. We will be back.Special Features:
- OK but not great.PoBoyDined on 7/21/2014The restaurant called and spoke with me 3x to confirm that my group was going to honor our reservation. This is excessive. The service was initially not as attentive as we would like and improved some after we complained. The food was very good except for the steak - over cooked and rough. The bread pudding dessert was outstanding. Overall, not high on my list for a return visit.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2014We went for brunch before seeing Motown and it was a great atmosphere, nice professional staff, and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meal!foodiewkidsDined on 7/19/2014We met up with friends from out of town and everything went great. I always recommend we stop at South Water when visitors are in town. I ordered the special, tuna with quinoa, and it was delicious. We felt special because the chef made a visit to our table to see how are meal was too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View, Saturday BrunchzeppofanDined on 7/19/2014Had some pancakes Saturday around 2PM as part of their late brunch. Attentive waiter eager to help. Food was fine, but all I ordered was plain pancakes which are not particularly a big deal. Highlight was a nice view of the pedestrian traffic on Wabash & Wacker -- great place for people watching! Also attached to the Hotel Monaco which was a bit of a find as I didn't know it was there and it seemed quite nice. Will try it for lunch/dinner so I can get a better idea about the food.Special Features:
- Saturday Celebration BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014We arrived early for our reservation with a group of 9+ and were seated after a short wait. The waiter was excellent advising us of the specials that were on the menu. We were celebrating a marriage that morning that took place at City hall. They acknowledged it with providing a card for the couple. The brunch food was great, especially the french toast.Special Features:
- SWK is a must for breakfastluvs2tryneweatsDined on 7/18/2014We went to Southwater Kitchen for breakfast. I thought the restaurant has a lot of character. It is clean and the waitstaff is very knowledgable as well as polite. They aim to please. I had a egg white omlette with glutn free toast and a fresh fruit cup. The homemade blueberry jam was fresh with whole blueberries in it. We are going back the next time we got to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies2Dined on 7/16/2014Went with a party of 3 to celebrate a friend's birthday. We all ordered price fixed menu which was great!!! The salmon was wonderful and it was good to have a glass of champagne to celebrate. The salad was a good starter. The dessert, a german chocolate cupcake was not that exciting. It would have been great to have champagne flights like you have for beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service with a smile!TravelerVIPDined on 7/13/2014Had hard time deciding what to choose from Brunch menu. The breakfast potatoes, ham, and eggs were all great!Special Features:
- expensive for what you gettommcDined on 7/9/2014food portions were small. quality was good. price was high. service was fine.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014Great service and food. Unique twist on dishes. We were seated quickly and the food arrived promptly. Service was good.Special Features:
- DisappointedFloraDined on 7/2/2014Nothing special about it. Everything was just okay. For the prices, I would not recommend it.Special Features:
- Nice menu and different drinksMOcouDined on 6/29/2014The interior of the place is interesting. Lots of wood and old fashioned tile. The morning juice combo drinks were unusual and very good. Portions were good to large. Due to construction in the area, the noise level and view outside is not ideal. But the space is nice. Wait staff was very friendly but a little slow. We were there at noon on A Sunday.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2014Sunday brunch menu provided interesting choices. The food was good. The server was attentive.The kitchen was very slow in preparing our food, even though the restaurant was not that busy. The bottomless mimosa was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findblowensDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I went there the first time because it was close to our hotel. We enjoyed it so much we went back two nights later with our son to celebrate my husband's birthday. We had salmon, chicken, pork chop and the most incredible burger ever. My very favorite was the yellow gazpacho. All the food was outstanding. The service was friendly and efficient. The prices are very reasonable for a big city dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Water KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014A very good experience...will definitely return. The staff was attentive, the food was quite good, we told them we had a musical curtain at Goodman Theatre at 8 pm that evening and they made sure we had a few extra minutes to spare and we never felt rushed. They offered several options for both the carnivores and the vegetarians in our group. As I said earlier, we will put this restaurant on our "short list" of "Loop" eateries.
- A bit pricey!ExpensiveDined on 6/28/2014The food was good, but not worth what they were charging. The ice cream that came with the cake was a joke. It was literally a teaspoonful. Come on!Special Features:
- Good, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/28/2014I liked SWK, but really wanted to love it. It's a cool space and great vibe, surprising since it's attached to a hotel, but I found the food a bit overpriced and delicious but it didn't blow me away. The charcuterie plate and cheese plate were incredibly overpriced - a huge wooden board and lots of sliced bread, but tiny pieces of cheese - for almost $20. The best value of the appetizers was the olives - really yummy and a lot of them in the container. The main courses were tasty, but the side items were small and just so-so. I don't know if I would choose to go back, but would have a nice time if I was invited there by someone else. With so many options nearby, this isn't a top contender for me.Special Features:
- Food was mediocre and too saltylilmsfoodieDined on 6/27/2014Service was fine, but will not be returning. The food was mediocre and all of us were very thirsty afterwards- way too much salt in the food.
- Don't order the chocolate sandwichOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/26/2014I really must not have understood the description but the "dessert" was multi-grain bread toasted with nutella. That's not dessert. It was heavy and more appropriate for breakfast instead of a treat after dinner. Very disappointing. The food, otherwise, was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent scallopsLovesGoodFoodVIPDined on 6/25/2014Scallops were cooked perfectly. The wild mushroom barley was too dry for my taste. The ceviche salad with frisee was yummy. This is also one of the few restaurants where they serve Kung Fu girl riesling. The only reisling I know that doesn't taste like candy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to the theater districtlinkeeDined on 6/25/2014We had matinee tickets to "Motown the Musical" and wanted to have lunch nearby at a restaurant where we had not eaten before. South Water Kitchen fit the bill, and the 3 of us were all very very pleased with our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accessible group brunchMstasiaVIPDined on 6/22/2014We recently were in Chicago and needed a brunch reservation for 10 on a Sunday. South water had availability when most other spots wouldn't take a reservation. The bloody Mary's were really fun and food was tasty with a good variety. We were pleased we didn't have to wait in line for an hour!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service on Slow SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/22/2014The Kale Caesar was good; the crab eggs benedict too; they even did a fine job of customizing an egg/bacon order. But the service needs real improving. For as few people as were there, service was very poor. Our waitress was nice, but it didn't really make up for the few times we saw her. Maybe some more hires are needed? There are so many great spots in the area, you really need to be competitive to retain guests.Special Features: