South Water Kitchen
225 N. Wabash Ave.
Chicago, IL 60601Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
South Water Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southwaterkitchen.com/
- Phone: 3122369300x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30 - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 7:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Everyday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm. Tavern: 3:00pm-Close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Roger Waysok
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Service menu created to order.
- Special Events: Please visit our website for upcoming special events.
A word from South Water Kitchen
South Water Kitchen, adjacent to Chicago's hip Hotel Monaco, is a neighborhood restaurant offering American Home cooking. As a tribute to the kitchen table, South Water Kitchen remembers the time when the kitchen was the center of the home and the family meal was the most important time of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
South Water Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (52)great for brunch (40)good for groups (38)fit for foodies (34)special occasion (29)neighborhood gem (27)great for outdoor dining (27)notable wine list (19)romantic (18)scenic view (11)kid-friendly (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)Show More
- Alaskan halibut was very nicelynotapickyeaterVIPDined on 3/22/2008Alaskan halibut was very nicely prepared -- not overcooked, not overseasoned but interesting. Attractive presentation. The server was appropriately attentive.
- Good food well presented atOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/22/2008Good food well presented at moderate prices. Terrific service. Only problem was that they switched the leftover packages of the different couples. But, duh, we could have checked.Special Features:
- A colleague and I took a clientOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/21/2008A colleague and I took a client there for lunch and they really enjoyed their food. I will definitely take a client there again. Nicole JohnsonSpecial Features:
- We were very pleased withOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/20/2008We were very pleased with our experience having dinner there before going to the theatre!
- I love the ease of using OpenOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/20/2008I love the ease of using Open Table and the convenience of sending invitations. I like South Water Kitchen because of the location and ambiance. It's elegant, but yet you are comfortable being a bit more casual. My last experience had been exception, and it was before going to the theater. My guests from Mundelein thought it was an excellent choice. Donna SpilisSpecial Features:
- Second time at the KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/19/2008Second time at the Kitchen was very enjoyable and would visit again for any occasion, thk Tom.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and very generousJennyjo88Dined on 3/19/2008Fabulous food and very generous portions! An error on my order was corrected within a minute or two. Very good service. This was a business lunch, and everyone was impressed with it.Special Features:
- Server was uninterested inOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2008Server was uninterested in us and food was mediocre at best.
- We found the food to be highlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/16/2008We found the food to be highly over-salted. They seem to sprinkle sea salt on the salads to finish them off, which overpowers the food. The mussels were fishy rather than being sweet and fresh tasting. I doubt the chef knows about that, but they were good to remove those items from our bill. The server was very nice, but the bus staff kept removing plates rather than waiting until the whole party was done with their food. That's unusual for a nice restaurant. We wanted to like this restaurant, but they need to do some serious work on the food before we would go back.
- Great place to eat downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/16/2008Great place to eat downtown before a show or after a day of shoppingSpecial Features:
- I had Sunday brunch at SouthOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/16/2008I had Sunday brunch at South Water Kitchen with a group of 5. We had reservations so seating was not a problem. The atmosphere was perfect and the food was great! Everyone from the hostess to the server to the bus boy was very friendly and professional. I had the egg white omlet which was delicious. Two others in our group had the chicken club sandwich and both raved about it. One in our group had the Denver omlet and loved it. The other had french toast and ate every last bite. I'd absolutely recommend this restaurant--you won't be disappointed! (The only negative thing was finding the bathroom--lots and lots of stairs and navigating!)Special Features:
- It was a lovely spot for anOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/15/2008It was a lovely spot for an intimate girls' night out. The four of us celebrated a birthday, and our server was both attentive and well-informed about the menu. Our dinners were excellent. Even the one who is a vegetarian left full and happy. We could have sat there for hours more if we hadn't had theatre tickets. I would be happy for them to know our thoughts about them.Special Features:
- Food very tasty. Semi-pubOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/15/2008Food very tasty. Semi-pub atmosphere, but quite nice.Special Features:
- The chef prepares great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/15/2008The chef prepares great food with interesting combinations. I had halibut that was perfectly cooked in a lovely but not overwhelming sauce. Halibut is easy to overwhlem and this was perfectly balanced with subtle flavors. The service was very good - not intrusive but well timed and friendly.Special Features:
- My wife and enjoyed a wonderfullyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/14/2008My wife and enjoyed a wonderfully prepared lunch, loving every bite. We took the day off to celebrate my 53rd birthday and enjoy downtown Chicago on a work day. South Water Kitchen will always be part of our memories of a perfect day. We have told all of our friends and foes about South Water Kitchen.Special Features:
- I have visited SWK beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/14/2008I have visited SWK before and had great experiences, but this time it was very mediocre and tasteless. The tea is not brewed, it's from a fountain which I don't like and it tasted old so I sent it back. The eggs benedict, which usually was a hit was runny, with a heavy mustard flavor on the sauce. For the price, you could go to the Corner Bakery and grab a much fresher and tastier breakfast. I'm disapointed in the SWK as it used to be great, located next to the Hotel Monacco, but never again. And the waitress was the least friendly wait staff we had throughout the entire trip! If you want good food, check out Aria and Fogo, they never falter.
- My husband and I were visitingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/13/2008My husband and I were visiting family in Chicago. My sister suggested the Hotel Burnham. I checked their website and found the link to the South Water Kitchen. I was intrigued by some items on the menu, like wild boar bratwurst, and decided this would be a great way to start our trip. When we got there, we still had our luggage, and the restaurant kindly stowed our gear. A really small gesture that goes a long way for a weary traveler. The food was delicious. I loved the fennel and apple slaw! The daily beer and wine selections were extensive and really complimented the menu. We especially loved the beer and wine daily specials. The Thursday 3 red wine split for $9 was a total bargain. We have already recommended it to my family!Special Features:
- A very good looking room withOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/13/2008A very good looking room with a varied menu. Great place for an impressive business lunch. (The service was spotty during my visit, but all else was good.)Special Features:
- I found this recommended onOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/12/2008I found this recommended on the LaSalle Theater site. My mom and I had a wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- We were treated very well.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/12/2008We were treated very well. The food was served hot and scrumptious. Presentation of the the food was eye catching (enjoyable) We were able to carry on our conversation and did not feel interuppted when the staff would refill glasses and cups. It was a wonderful food experiance. We did not feel rushed, our food came in a timely manner. there was plenty of food, my mom accutaly took home. She did not feel like she was asking for something inapporprate, like we have before. I will recommend this resturant to my friends.Special Features:
- An early dinner before theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/11/2008An early dinner before the play, the food was spot on!Special Features:
- The desserts were not veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/11/2008The desserts were not very tasty and some of the people I was dining with did not enjoy their entrees.
- doesn't knock your socks off...OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 3/10/2008doesn't knock your socks off... a bit overpriced for lunch as well...
- Right near the river. TheKevinODined on 1/16/2008Right near the river. The food was tasty. I'd go again.Special Features:
- Good for lunch. Not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/21/2007Good for lunch. Not so good for dinner. The lunch menu is varied and moderately priced. The dinner menu is limited and very expensive.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, the atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2007Wonderful food, the atmosphere is lovely. Try it at lunch for the daily special served in a replica of a school lunch tray; flavorful and cute!Special Features:
- I felt this was more of amagicwillDined on 7/17/2007I felt this was more of a stop in for lunch than a dinner spot, though I'd had both here. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant for any sort of romantic night out. Still... the food, staff and service were satisfactory.
- My daughter enjoyed or dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2007My daughter enjoyed or dinner together at South Water Kitchen. It was quiet and the service was excellent. Our food was as visually appealing as it was tasteful. We would definitely choose to dine there again.Special Features:
- Great for lunch. Good comfortNoisyDined on 11/17/2006Great for lunch. Good comfort food. I would return again for lunch.Special Features:
- Very good. We were pleasantlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/14/2006Very good. We were pleasantly surprised for a hotel restaurant. Visited for late night snack after driving from out of town. Mothers day brunch was excellent. Great service. Many choices. Good quality!Special Features: