South Water Kitchen
225 N. Wabash Ave.
Chicago, IL 60601Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
South Water Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southwaterkitchen.com/
- Phone: (312) 236-9300
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30 - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 7:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Everyday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm. Tavern: 3:00pm-Close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Roger Waysok
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Service menu created to order.
- Special Events: Please visit our website for upcoming special events.
A word from South Water Kitchen
South Water Kitchen, adjacent to Chicago's hip Hotel Monaco, is a neighborhood restaurant offering American Home cooking. As a tribute to the kitchen table, South Water Kitchen remembers the time when the kitchen was the center of the home and the family meal was the most important time of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
South Water Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (30)fit for foodies (28)good for groups (26)neighborhood gem (22)great for brunch (19)great for outdoor dining (16)romantic (13)special occasion (13)notable wine list (10)scenic view (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Always a great meal!foodiewkidsDined on 7/19/2014We met up with friends from out of town and everything went great. I always recommend we stop at South Water when visitors are in town. I ordered the special, tuna with quinoa, and it was delicious. We felt special because the chef made a visit to our table to see how are meal was too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View, Saturday BrunchzeppofanDined on 7/19/2014Had some pancakes Saturday around 2PM as part of their late brunch. Attentive waiter eager to help. Food was fine, but all I ordered was plain pancakes which are not particularly a big deal. Highlight was a nice view of the pedestrian traffic on Wabash & Wacker -- great place for people watching! Also attached to the Hotel Monaco which was a bit of a find as I didn't know it was there and it seemed quite nice. Will try it for lunch/dinner so I can get a better idea about the food.Special Features:
- Saturday Celebration BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014We arrived early for our reservation with a group of 9+ and were seated after a short wait. The waiter was excellent advising us of the specials that were on the menu. We were celebrating a marriage that morning that took place at City hall. They acknowledged it with providing a card for the couple. The brunch food was great, especially the french toast.Special Features:
- SWK is a must for breakfastluvs2tryneweatsDined on 7/18/2014We went to Southwater Kitchen for breakfast. I thought the restaurant has a lot of character. It is clean and the waitstaff is very knowledgable as well as polite. They aim to please. I had a egg white omlette with glutn free toast and a fresh fruit cup. The homemade blueberry jam was fresh with whole blueberries in it. We are going back the next time we got to Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies2Dined on 7/16/2014Went with a party of 3 to celebrate a friend's birthday. We all ordered price fixed menu which was great!!! The salmon was wonderful and it was good to have a glass of champagne to celebrate. The salad was a good starter. The dessert, a german chocolate cupcake was not that exciting. It would have been great to have champagne flights like you have for beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service with a smile!TravelerVIPDined on 7/13/2014Had hard time deciding what to choose from Brunch menu. The breakfast potatoes, ham, and eggs were all great!Special Features:
- Loved itPamcapVIPDined on 7/11/2014I was late to get reservations before the theatre and really concerned that they still had availablity. I can't wait to go back- everyone had a great meal, they were very good about timing to ensure we made it to the show. The only problem was the valet, but I do not blame them for an outside company. Try this place if you are going to catch a show !!Special Features:
- expensive for what you gettommcDined on 7/9/2014food portions were small. quality was good. price was high. service was fine.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014Great service and food. Unique twist on dishes. We were seated quickly and the food arrived promptly. Service was good.Special Features:
- DisappointedFloraDined on 7/2/2014Nothing special about it. Everything was just okay. For the prices, I would not recommend it.Special Features:
- Nice menu and different drinksMOcouDined on 6/29/2014The interior of the place is interesting. Lots of wood and old fashioned tile. The morning juice combo drinks were unusual and very good. Portions were good to large. Due to construction in the area, the noise level and view outside is not ideal. But the space is nice. Wait staff was very friendly but a little slow. We were there at noon on A Sunday.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/29/2014Sunday brunch menu provided interesting choices. The food was good. The server was attentive.The kitchen was very slow in preparing our food, even though the restaurant was not that busy. The bottomless mimosa was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findblowensDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I went there the first time because it was close to our hotel. We enjoyed it so much we went back two nights later with our son to celebrate my husband's birthday. We had salmon, chicken, pork chop and the most incredible burger ever. My very favorite was the yellow gazpacho. All the food was outstanding. The service was friendly and efficient. The prices are very reasonable for a big city dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Water KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014A very good experience...will definitely return. The staff was attentive, the food was quite good, we told them we had a musical curtain at Goodman Theatre at 8 pm that evening and they made sure we had a few extra minutes to spare and we never felt rushed. They offered several options for both the carnivores and the vegetarians in our group. As I said earlier, we will put this restaurant on our "short list" of "Loop" eateries.
- A bit pricey!ExpensiveDined on 6/28/2014The food was good, but not worth what they were charging. The ice cream that came with the cake was a joke. It was literally a teaspoonful. Come on!Special Features:
- Good, not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/28/2014I liked SWK, but really wanted to love it. It's a cool space and great vibe, surprising since it's attached to a hotel, but I found the food a bit overpriced and delicious but it didn't blow me away. The charcuterie plate and cheese plate were incredibly overpriced - a huge wooden board and lots of sliced bread, but tiny pieces of cheese - for almost $20. The best value of the appetizers was the olives - really yummy and a lot of them in the container. The main courses were tasty, but the side items were small and just so-so. I don't know if I would choose to go back, but would have a nice time if I was invited there by someone else. With so many options nearby, this isn't a top contender for me.Special Features:
- Food was mediocre and too saltylilmsfoodieDined on 6/27/2014Service was fine, but will not be returning. The food was mediocre and all of us were very thirsty afterwards- way too much salt in the food.
- Don't order the chocolate sandwichOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/26/2014I really must not have understood the description but the "dessert" was multi-grain bread toasted with nutella. That's not dessert. It was heavy and more appropriate for breakfast instead of a treat after dinner. Very disappointing. The food, otherwise, was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent scallopsLovesGoodFoodVIPDined on 6/25/2014Scallops were cooked perfectly. The wild mushroom barley was too dry for my taste. The ceviche salad with frisee was yummy. This is also one of the few restaurants where they serve Kung Fu girl riesling. The only reisling I know that doesn't taste like candy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to the theater districtlinkeeDined on 6/25/2014We had matinee tickets to "Motown the Musical" and wanted to have lunch nearby at a restaurant where we had not eaten before. South Water Kitchen fit the bill, and the 3 of us were all very very pleased with our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accessible group brunchMstasiaVIPDined on 6/22/2014We recently were in Chicago and needed a brunch reservation for 10 on a Sunday. South water had availability when most other spots wouldn't take a reservation. The bloody Mary's were really fun and food was tasty with a good variety. We were pleased we didn't have to wait in line for an hour!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service on Slow SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/22/2014The Kale Caesar was good; the crab eggs benedict too; they even did a fine job of customizing an egg/bacon order. But the service needs real improving. For as few people as were there, service was very poor. Our waitress was nice, but it didn't really make up for the few times we saw her. Maybe some more hires are needed? There are so many great spots in the area, you really need to be competitive to retain guests.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/21/2014This was a special anniversary and th wait staff signed a card for us and offered a complimentary dessert. A romantic place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Had a great food experience at South Water Kitcheh, very yummy! My only comment would be the next time I eat there I would not want to sit downstairs by the kitchen, at times it was very noisey, lots of clanging of dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingJohnkuistofDined on 6/19/2014The quality of the food is disappointing given the price paid. Example, the risotto was without flavor and seemed to be recooked from the day before. The ambience is not sensational, few people the day we went there.
- Outstanding service and foodSalvadorDined on 6/17/2014We were treated as royalty the minute we walked in. Complimentary birthday cards for my guests and free glass of compagne or lavender wáter cocktail. The food was outstanding. The salmon melted in my mouth and our server was outstanding in his recomendations. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- inventive and creative menulincVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food is so nicely crafted and still feel like comfort food. We loved our dinner so much we went back the next day for breakfast. If you are looking for a place for great breakfast, you need to check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer Selection!SpringDined on 6/14/2014Bar offers a great selection of local craft beers both on tap and in bottles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty bad foodClovercloyesVIPDined on 6/9/2014Lovely ambience and promotes itself as a locators restaurant. The food was pretty bad. I ordered steak medium rare. It arrived cold in the middle and completely raw, some of the potatoes on the plate were not cooked enough to eat, and none of it was seasoned- at all. It was like we were camping and that was the best they could do. I expected more for $30.
- This place is a clip joint!AuntTreDined on 6/8/2014Our server said their baseball sirloin was thick in the middle like a tenderloin filet. We ordered the sirloin, rare to medium rare; we specifically said we wanted it bloody, but hot. Our meals arrived promptly. Our steaks were overcooked, extremely tough low-grade meat, with zero flavor. A proper baseball sirloin should be 2 inches thick at the thickest point; ours were a half inch thick at their thickest point. The fingerling potatoes were served whole, zero seasoning. The kale was the best part of the meal. Our server was jovial, but inattentive even though there were few other diners. We ordered 2 baseball sirloin dinners, 30 dollars each, had one mixed drink apiece, no appetizer, no dessert - check total was 96 dollars. Simply horrid!
- diner1Dined on 6/8/2014We found the food very good and and wait staff extremely friendly and helpful. We will go back again!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningnjrgoblueDined on 6/7/2014Dinner after Motown matinee was wonderful. Wanted to catch up with friends we see infrequently and wait staff was very obliging. Food was very good as was the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/7/2014Good meal. Good beer selection. Nice atmosphere. Good for a pre-theater mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Purplegirl410Dined on 6/7/2014Service was very slow. We had a show to catch and told the waitress when we sat down. That did not appear to be a problem. We waited about 25 minutes for 3 salads. One was done incorrectly and I received a fresh one in 5 minutes. We asked for the check 3 times. We were not happy and will not go back.Special Features:
- pre theatre dinner spotKathleenDined on 6/6/2014Options for dinner are at the open kitchen ,street level dull of windows or outdoors. All are wonderful. Food options creative and tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one hit dish wonder?SweetWillieDined on 6/3/2014For an entree I had: Stuffed Red pepper with brown rice, black beans, sweet corn, cilantro, smoked tomatillo sauce, the last ingredient being very good but dish was mediocre overall. Mom had: Whitefish with wild rice, cayenne green beans, lemon thyme butter, again it was just mediocre as fish was overcooked and rice oversalted. The gem of the evening & the lone item we will come back for was the venison chili w/habanero glazed cornmeal donuts. We really didn't get any essence of the habanero but the chili was divine. Really enjoyed our server! (forget his name but recall he used to live in Michigan)
- Excellent brunchTilks24Dined on 6/1/2014We went for our first time and it was for Sunday brunch for a table of 11. Admittedly we picked it as it was one of few places in city that would let us make a reservation for that many fairly last minute. Now we can't wait to go back. The kids menu give a good range of food with more than adequate serving sizes and great taste. The adults all raved about their dishes, however my biscuts and gravy, althought good flavor, was warm at best when it arrived. Those that got the bloody Mary's gave thumbs up. Not as spicy as some but good flavor and nice garnishment with it. We hope to return soon to try out lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an enjoyable experience!DrJohnDined on 5/29/2014My wife and I frequently visit South Water Kitchen prior to our regular Goodman Theatre matinee. We always enjoy ourselves. The menu is interesting, and the food is excellent. The service is exemplary. On each occasion that we have visited South Water Kitchen, we have come away with a sense of real commitment on the part of the staff. Our reservations were ready, and a friendly host took us to our table. He graciously honored our request to move us away from a draft. We were put in the capable care of our waitperson Ellen. The waitstaff has a wonderful sense of just what constitutes exactly the right amount of attention as do the host and hostess. Ellen was tremendous. It was a fine lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort foodJKChicagoVIPDined on 5/25/2014This is yet another memorable visit to SWK for us. Tucked beneath the Monaco Hotel, its views are limited to passersby on Michigan Avenue or So. Water St, but the food is the focus here. This time, their special was a three-course fixed price meal: we each had the carrot-ginger soup, which was a perfect balance of the two main flavors. I had the chicken, moist and flavorful on a bed of faro and spinach; my wife had the salmon, which she enjoyed. For dessert, I had the german chocolate cake which I loved as a child. This was better than the cake I remembered and it came with a scoop of ice cream too. My wife had the bread pudding, which was one of the best we've ever had. We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pepperDined on 5/24/2014We went on a Saturday, and they were serving brunch. It was a very nice menu, good food and ambiance. We would return.Special Features: