South Water Kitchen
225 N. Wabash Ave.
Chicago, IL 60601Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
South Water Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southwaterkitchen.com/
- Phone: 3122369300x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30 - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday and Sunday: 7:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Everyday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm. Tavern: 3:00pm-Close.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Roger Waysok
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full Service menu created to order.
- Special Events: Please visit our website for upcoming special events.
A word from South Water Kitchen
South Water Kitchen, adjacent to Chicago's hip Hotel Monaco, is a neighborhood restaurant offering American Home cooking. As a tribute to the kitchen table, South Water Kitchen remembers the time when the kitchen was the center of the home and the family meal was the most important time of the day.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
South Water Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (40)fit for foodies (35)great for brunch (32)good for groups (31)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (25)special occasion (22)romantic (17)notable wine list (14)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (3)Show More
- Try the Prix FixeRedBeardVIPDined on 10/27/2014We both decided to select from the Prix Fixe dinner menu, starting with delicious and well-seasoned deviled eggs, followed by Cornish game hems that were expertly cooked on a bed of corn-bread stuffing and finishing off with a rich bread pudding. The server was excellent, having arrived early and kept the drink glasses full and suggested a new beer on tap that was well-appreciated with a second glass. This outstanding restaurant near the Chicago Theater and Millennium Park is a great place to have a delicious dinner downtown at an affordable price.Special Features:
- Terrible food!DthcrsVIPDined on 10/24/2014This had to be one of the worst meals in Chicago. The menu sounds great and they have a GF menu which looks great as well... but the presentation was sloppy, and totally not appetizing looking... the meals were over cooked... dry and really unacceptable - as a restaurant that is connected to a Kimpton hotel you would have expected the food to be better. First sign was the restaurant was empty on a Saturday night, bar was small and empty! Also, very overpriced! You would be better at Morton's which is a couple doors down!
- Always a great dining experienceDpmdcDined on 10/24/2014Never disappointed. On our last visit we had 4 different entrees....pork loin, salmon, sirloin and duck breast. No complaints from anyone. All meals were heart healthy and their presentation was wonderful. Save room for dessert, always interesting choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conducive for BusinessMoniqueVIPDined on 10/20/2014Polite, efficient and great service that helped set the pace for our business meeting. Quiet and comfortable with a great style and great food!Special Features:
- hmmmmmyouarespecialDined on 10/18/2014The service was terrible. It was my birthday celebration, and someone delivered a birthday card to the table to my friend, and not to me. DUH. To top it off, the note was signed by a bunch of people I don't know, and was not even personally addressed to me. You folks are out of touch. The brussel sprout salad was too tart, overshadowing any of the delicate flavors of the vegetable. The steak was mediocre at best...tough...nothing special in flavor. The pumpkin flan dessert was the worst I ever had...go learn from the Mexican restaurants. They know how to do flan.
- Some things really good..others nohikeybikeyDined on 10/18/2014My boyfriend and I went there prior to seeing a show at The Chicago Theater. We ordered the Brussels salad and an olive and feta plate as apps. The salad rocked...just the right combo of sweetness from the cranberries and crunchiness of the hazelnuts and perfect amount of dressing. The olives on the other hand were refrigerator cold instead of ideally warm or room temperature. I asked for some bread to go with them and they have NO BREAD SERVICE which I was OK to pay for it but was surprised that they have non at all. If you're not going to have bread service then don't have olives and cheese on your menu. I ordered the scallops for entree and was surprised that you only get 3 for $30. It was really an appetizer portion.Special Features:
- Excellent!DanaDined on 10/17/2014This is a great restaurant - we had dinner here and we loved it! The food was top notch and the staff very attentive. Would definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistantdiner20Dined on 10/15/2014Food was inconsistent. One salad too dry, one too much dressing. Main course proportions unbalanced, could be more attractively plated. Flavorings not particularly interesting. Bread pudding served in tiny skillet but not warm. Restaurant surroundings are attractive but food isn't up to decor. Yet another restaurant that allows the cutlery to be cleared with first course but doesn't remember to bring cutlery or check that it is there for 2nd course.
- Limited menu unique pallets onlyChakaKMSUDined on 10/2/2014For a nice restaurant attached to a nice hotel, I would not recommend it. The bar area floor was sticky and smelled like beer. Then, the menu was very unique for discriminating tastes only. Some would like the menu, but for general diners it was hard for the two people in our party to find anything that appealed to us. We had a 2 drinks, one appetizer, and got a bill for over $50.00. Then, we left and got dinner elsewhere which we enjoyed much better. The service and waitress were nice, but we would not return or recommend it.
- Terrible FoodChicagoVisitorVIPDined on 9/28/2014Went there based on good reviews, but food was terrible. Fowl was dried out, salad was tasteless, and dessert cloyingly sweet. Wine prices astronomical.
- SouthWaterERICDined on 9/28/2014Nice place, good service, our waiter was new, did a nice job, needs to relax! Entrees(scallops and the pork) we ordered were very good, the appetizer was the beet flat bread, was missing something, very bland, was disappointed in that. The dessert my wife and I shared was a chocolate cake with raspberries was so very good. Overall was a nice dinner, but we might not rush back there, however.Special Features:
- great brunchFoodieDined on 9/28/2014I recently brought a friend of mine who lives out of town to south water kitchen for brunch and she was thoroughly pleased with the ambience, dècor, menu options and the delicious mimosas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spot.Sammi8itUpDined on 9/26/2014We work in the West Loop and wanted to try something outside the Financial district. it was worth the cab ride! I had the Turkey and Wild Rice burger; different and very good. My friend had a pot pie, a meatless dish that I think needed some chicken! But she loved it. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OperagoersVIPDined on 9/24/2014A solid restaurant, a nice menu, a bit pricey, but nothing outstanding really. Food was all right, but one of the entries had a side of butternut squash pancakes that tested more like a baking soda - not good. Pumpkin flan was sweet but formless on the plate.
- Happy Birthday to Big MikeBigMikesWife2951Dined on 9/23/2014It was my husband's 63rd Birthday and he had NEVER had the experience of a downtown Chicago Restaurant. South Water Kitchen lived up to all of my expectations (as well as the expectations of his favorite cousin). Thank you to the staff of this amazing restaurant. We had a wonderful time. I am now considering South Water Kitchen for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Thanks again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater gemOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the prix fixe menu last Saturday before our show at the Goodman. The deviled egg appetizer totally changed my view of this pot luck staple. Bacon was blended into the yolk, and it was garnished with mustard seed "caviar" which popped on the tongue just like the real thing. The salmon was melt in the mouth wonderful-- and I just got back from two weeks in Alaska, eating fish fresh off the boat. Finally, the bread pudding was a wonderfully rich end to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good prices american foodlialeDined on 9/18/2014fixed price menu good deal 3 courses for 36, excellent salmon, delicious bread pudding for dessert and unusual deviled eggs with caviar servied on pea shootsSpecial Features:
- great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/15/2014met a friend for dinner here because it was close to his hotel, and this place was a great surprise! fabulous wine list and half price bottles of wine on Mondays was our first bonus. The food was the second. Everything we ate was delicious. I had cornish hens that were smoked--unusual but really tasty--with the best cornbread stuffing I've ever eaten. Would recommend this place to anyone looking for a great meal and a dining room that is quiet enough to hold important conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten free friendlyeatrealfoodDined on 9/12/2014South Water Kitchen has one of the best, if not the best gluten free menu I have seen here in Chicago. We honestly had a hard time deciding. The food is outstanding. Service was good, great location, nice ambiance. We will be back for dessert...Special Features:
- Nice street diningatomanDined on 9/7/2014Met up with friends for brunch, great food & service. Fun to watch the street activity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A convenient location but not greatLongTimeFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014This place was nearly empty on a friday night of Labor Day weekend. So service should have been stellar, but it was slow. Food was generally quite tasty and well prepared. First course yellow gazpacho and salads, were all really good. For entrees the prawns, the pork chop, and scallops were delicious. Yet, three of us ordered mushroom ravioli with tarragon sauce and asparagus, it was not a good choice. Sauce was yummy, but the ravioli were awful, as the pasta was way too thick and the filing was way too thin--almost none existent. It was clearly not fresh pasta, which we had had the night before. Wine list was way too expensive, so we ordered glasses instead of bottles, spirits and local beers. Good not great, don't order pasta.
- Expérience agréableLoudecDined on 8/22/2014Nourriture de qualité cuite selon nos exigences et belle présentation. Menu varié avec quelques surprises agréables. Service dans les standards pour ce type de restaurant. Carte des vins acceptable et décors agréable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bread available upon requestNadjaDined on 8/21/2014Cheapest thing on the menu was a burger and that was $20. It was ginormous but didn't come with fries. It was good but not worth $20. The menu seemed to take normal foods and make them "weird". The burger had onion paste and kale on it. Surprising how it kind of worked. The drinks were unique and delicious though. And the service was terrific. Our waiter was nice and friendly and never acted like we were bothering him for something as simple as ketchup. Service is a 10. I just wouldn't return because of the prices for menu items that could either turn out amazing or disgusting to me. Too much of a gamble.Special Features:
- Good food. Good location.Boattourist08Dined on 8/13/2014Went on a boat tour and was looking for something close to the area. Found this place online with good reviews. Kinda cool when you walk in and the bar is right there almost like a diner setting. Unfortunately only about 8 bar stools but we were there to eat. Those patrons looked like they were having a good time with the personable bartender. We were sat in the lower level where it was quieter and away from the street views but that was ok. Nice drink menu with a good selection of craft beers and wines. Small but neat dinner menu with a special to choose from. We are the Scallops and the Sirloin. Both were excellent! If you had room the dessert menu looked very good too. We were generally happy with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that HappyUnhappyDinerDined on 8/11/2014My working lunch with a colleague was ok. I've dined at South Water Kitchen in past times and was disappointed with my service.
- Fantastic lunchDMarieDined on 8/7/2014We had a great lunch, easy to have a great conversation and excellent service.Special Features:
- Dinner for sixBillDined on 8/6/2014Went here after seeing afternoon show Motown the Musical. Different menu, with several different choices. Something for everyone's appetite.Special Features:
- Good food with lackluster servicefrequentchicagodinerDined on 8/6/2014We went here for a business lunch. The food, presentation, ambiance was all very good, especially in context for a business lunch. However, even considering that for a party of 10 the order should take longer, the service was extremely slow and the server was not attentive. There was a lack of communication by the server in general and they did not seem very energetic or interested. The restaurant was only half full too. I would recommend going back, but consider how much time you have to spend there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bottomless Mimosas!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2014What a great place for brunch, right in the middle of everything the food was delicious and the bottomless Mimosa deal cannot be beat! I would recommend this highly, wish we had more time to sit and relax but had to hit a matinee!Special Features:
- Late night findOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2014We enjoy to finish a late evening here with a glass of wine a the deviled eggs! The eggs are fabulous! Service is always friendly, morning, noon or night! They also offer some very interesting flatbreads, quite tasty! Always enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food and service were very good, except for the chocolate cake that neither looked or tasted like chocolate cake but still tasty. We were impressed by the care and attention to detail to accommodate dietary needs of two in the party. Thank you.
- Great food, missing on servicenainaiDined on 7/28/2014Had a nice dinner here with great food. The daily special was salmon with pineapple salsa that was well done. Fixed price menu had good selections and was a bargain. Service could have been better, considering the restaurant was not full on a Monday night. Wine wasn't delivered until after the appetizer was served, no chiller for the wine, even though we requested one, and the bus boy tried to leave the used silverware from the first course for the entree, a pet peeve. Overall, still a good experience and would return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, attentive serviceHistoryProfDined on 7/26/2014I never write reviews, but this place is special. Celebrated mom's birthday with my sisters. My foodie sister and I delighted in the unusual and delicious textures and flavors produced by the kitchen, and Brody was very patient explaining to my Mom what a dill puree was. Disappointed that the salmon was farmed, but everything was fresh and beautifully presented. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- SHHHDined on 7/26/2014Delicious food. Terrific service. Wonderful place to celebrate a birthday.Special Features:
- A nice surpriseChuckFrommageDined on 7/25/2014Really enjoyed the place. Inventive menu and staff that seems interested in it without being overbearing. Great place to sit and talk and nosh. Just had a bunch of appetizers, flatbread etc. Really good and fun for a group.Special Features:
- Perfect for lunchHobbitDined on 7/24/2014Went with a group of eight for lunch. Food was great, and menu selection are varied enough that both hipsters and your grandmother will be happy. Enjoyed the beer flights, lamb burgers, salmon salad, and more. Terrific service, too.Special Features:
- Great Gluten-Free MenuijhutsonDined on 7/23/2014My daughter was very happy with her burger and mac and cheese from gluten free menu. I was happy with my soup as well. Very friendly service. I they checked my ID when I used a credit card. Too Many places don"t check your id. We will be back.Special Features:
- OK but not great.PoBoyDined on 7/21/2014The restaurant called and spoke with me 3x to confirm that my group was going to honor our reservation. This is excessive. The service was initially not as attentive as we would like and improved some after we complained. The food was very good except for the steak - over cooked and rough. The bread pudding dessert was outstanding. Overall, not high on my list for a return visit.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2014We went for brunch before seeing Motown and it was a great atmosphere, nice professional staff, and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great meal!foodiewkidsDined on 7/19/2014We met up with friends from out of town and everything went great. I always recommend we stop at South Water when visitors are in town. I ordered the special, tuna with quinoa, and it was delicious. We felt special because the chef made a visit to our table to see how are meal was too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.