South Park Cafe
108 South Park
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
South Park Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.southparkcafe.com/
- Phone: (415) 495-7275
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Ward Little
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties require a "buy-out" of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Marty Berg 4154957275x
A word from South Park Cafe
South Park Cafe has been serving rustic French cuisine since 1985. Gourmet Magazine called South Park "One of the best little French restaurants in San Francisco". Michael Bauer says "Feels like a little slice of Paris and the food is as good as ever".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
South Park Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)fit for foodies (36)romantic (32)special occasion (15)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (4)good for groups (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Enjoyable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014We arrived earlier than our reservation but were seated immediately, even though the restaurant was nearly full. We went with the prix fixe menu. The appetizers were simply amazing. For the main courses, the fish was very good, but the duck, while flavorful, was a bit chewy and difficult to cut. The desserts were delicious and a perfect finish to the evening. Service was attentive and personal. We had a very good experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SF Price/value French fare...tsunamiVIPDined on 11/21/2014Good price value new French food for $39 includes an appetizer/salad, main, and dessert. Close to AT&T park for after an event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food, ambiance, romantic euro atomospher!Carmen8Dined on 11/21/2014We fond this restaurant 20 yrs ago only to get reconnected again. Loved their food then that had their signature dish~Sweet Bread. Have just visited South Park for our supper club and Bday gathering. Everyone loves this restaurant~great food, wine, neighborhood setting and...NO need for valet parking! In the past, due to small, quaint number of seating and rezys were tight, they can't handle more than 10 seating~with my persistence and with the hosts help~I finally was able to get my group in that was a fabulous dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experience.DCLinRioVistaDined on 11/20/2014A local cafe in a local and charming neighborhood. The owner and stay were charming and accommodating. Nice customer service, gave us as much attention as the locals. The food was very good, fresh, the right temperature and excellent flavor. To make it easy, they had a prix fix with an appetizer, entrée and dessert. And their menu was very unique. A definite return visit will be in the future. BravoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place.JessicaBDined on 11/15/2014South Park Cafe is dreamy. It's elegant but cozy, the food is lovely and delicious, and the service warm and friendly. There's no "hip scene" here, thankfully, and for my family and I it's been a consistently perfect evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot on!JGC1VIPDined on 10/10/2014Charming out of the way restaurant. Transported to Paris. Delicious food, some unexpected dishes that make this place a delightful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RE: Always OutstandingrockytonyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Very kind and accommodating, this prime neighborhood spot never fails to please. Situated in a lovely setting, you get a good feeling before even walking into the restaurant. Our last minute making of the reservation went pleasantly with a sincere attitude to help. Among the other tempting offerings, we selected black eyed stew and cod that pleased all. The salads were fine as well as the dessert. The service was swift and no nonsense and chatter. Not our first visit, but we sure look forward to the next time.Special Features:
- Nightmarish from start to finish3rdpolicemanDined on 9/20/2014Three of us wedged in at a table designed only for two. Ambient noise level at disco levels, making conversation impossible. My dish, duck confit, advertised to come with potatoes and lentils, was roughly 20% duck, 5% potatoes, and 75% lentils -- a more accurate description would have been "lentil stew". Amiable but forgetful waiter, we had to ask three times for water, lapse between first request and its arrival was over 30 minutes. Cheese plate consisted of one smallish wedge of goat cheese, served with "brandied fruit" (11 raisins soaked in brandy). This place seems vastly overrated.
- Bland and soft.SFdinerVIPDined on 9/20/2014Started with the scallop pate. It was a white gelatinous rectangal sitting on a white plate with a thin white sauce, bland and no texture. Should have served with toast as you would real pate. Or not serve it at all! Main course was the "cod served over a crab bisque". Cod skin was burnt black, as if they cooked it under a broiler. Even though it was chared black, it wasn't crisp! Cod skin should be crispy! Then the bisque was actually pinkish broth with overcooked slices of carrot and something that used to be white, maybe onion? Not sure. Finished the meal with apple crepe. Filling was applesauce, not apples! Only hilight of the evening was the nice bottle of wine we picked out. Recommended if you have no teeth.
- A bit of Paris in SFMamaGDined on 9/11/2014Right on South Park, a good little restaurant where you feel like you're in the middle of Paris. Food is consistently good and wine list is reasonable.Special Features:
- Nice romantic placerb25Dined on 9/6/2014Came here on a Saturday night and ordered the lamb and steak. The lamb came with lots of beans and potatoes, but the lamb itself was a bit of a disappointment as it was covered in sauce and the meat was dry. The steak on the other hand was good and came with a bunch of crunchy fries that my girlfriend really liked. For desert, we had the apple crepe with honey ice cream. The crepe was decent but I really liked the honey flavored ice cream. The lights inside the restaurant was a bit too dark and made me really drowsy but overall it has nice and romantic.Special Features:
- Mini French Vacationjoy2dinDined on 9/5/2014A wonderful French Bistro in the City for a mini French Vacation. Yummy food, delicious wine, and excellent service. With the fresh rose on your table and the romantic lighting you may fall in love again. And it is even a great place to dine by yourself. The neighborhood makes you feel like you are walking a side street in Paris. I shall be returning for many mini French vacations in the City; and it is a short walk from public transportation.Special Features:
- Five StarsRegularDinerVIPDined on 9/4/2014Five stars says it. Their price listing is $$$ which about right in comparison to other SF restaurants I frequent in this category. The competitors tend to be bigger, are in higher-rent areas, rely on a faster turnover of tables and draw a less sophisticated clientele overall. South Park Café offers a price-fixe which is a darn good deal. Alcohol (as everywhere) can quickly bump up your tab. South Park Café comfortably sustains a five star in food, service and ambiance over several years. Bravo to that great team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite SF restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/3/2014WE had another excellent dinner here. The food was excellent as usual. Our server was great. She was very helpful & attentive to our requests. This is one of our favorite restaurants in SF. We try new ones about 50% of the time but this is one of the ones we keep coming back to due to the consistency of the food, the small neighborhood feel & the staff.Special Features:
- Charming neighborhood cafeBerkeleyFoodieDined on 9/3/2014I brought foodie friends from Japan here on their last night after a month-long visit. They loved the setting, the small scale, and the food...and discovering a spot their guidebook would likely not have suggested. We found the prix fixe 3-course option quite reasonable and left satisfied, not stuffed. This is not the place for a quick bite, though; with only two waiters, our three courses (no wine, few questions) took two hours. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Merci!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden SF gemBerkeleyDaveDined on 8/30/2014Wonderful food, not flashy but expertly prepared. And a great value by SF standards. This place reminds me of small family restaurants in France in both spirit and execution. Wonderful service, and an atmosphere that allows conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great afordable french cusineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Super from great bread and butter to delicious dessert. Duck confit was remarkable. Will go with friends and family again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- diner99VIPDined on 8/22/2014A really nice place in a hidden park. Food is not haute cuisine, not "foody modern", just very well prepared and delicious French favorites. Ambiance is quite French and staff are pleasant and professional. We liked it a lot. (Obviously)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice French Bistro in SFDinerproDined on 8/16/2014Really nice, cozy restaurant with good food very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great place, wonderful serviceCSA7Dined on 8/14/2014Food was great, atmosphere was great, and they were very accommodating when one of us was running very late and had to push back the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate Fist ExperiencetccrunsDined on 8/14/2014Had to send the shrimp back twice because they were cold in the middle and our female waiter never said I am sorry or apologized. Then when the check is presented, not even a thank you. Why are restaurants and there servers like this. Will not be returning.
- grrrrreat!knetwothreeDined on 8/8/2014Stew was awesome! My boyfriend keeps on asking me to make him more:) I wish there were more vegetarian options though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific neighborhood spotChuckZVIPDined on 8/7/2014Always one of my favorites in San Francisco for an informal dinner. The food is interesting and variable, and never disappoints. Not pretentious or super fancy, just good and tasty. There is always something everyone will like. The wine list is short, but very well chosen, interesting, goes with the food and fairly priced. Everyone who works here is friendly and a pleasure to deal with. The chef and the host have been here for many years, as have some of the waiters. The location on South Park is pleasant and convenient, at least when there is no Giants game. This restaurant has a very friendly and relaxed vibe. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2014This restaurant has a nice neighborhood kind of feel, food and service were good. Prices were reasonable and worth the effort to get there from across town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional bistroFeldmanDined on 7/29/2014Maybe the best of South Park is that it does not fall in many of your above categories. Just a good french-style bistro fare. Well prepared food without attempting to be flashy. No square plates or oversize bowls. For my taste, I consider South Park a true "gem".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 569 reviews are from the South Park Cafe reviews archive.
- One of our favorite restaurantFoodloversDined on 7/26/2014We keep coming back to this restaurant for his constant quality of food, service and ambiance at a reasonable price for SF. We always love the pig salad, and the variety of entrees. Keep up the good work and we will keep coming back. Annie and MichaelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perennially reliably goodBeenilesDined on 7/25/2014When I lived in the city, South Park was a favorite little known secret on the edges of no mans land. Now as a result of development, it's central and accessible from South Beach and the ballpark yet it somehow retains that hidden gem appeal. This restaurant has been a go to favorite for literally decades. I had not been there in a long time and it was as good as I remembered. The prix fixe for $39 gets you three courses and wine is generously poured by the glass. Tables are closely placed but not too close. Intimate surroundings. Great service. The only demerit was the warm goat cheese salad. The crouton was burned. I would not have served it and there was slightly too much dressing. Otherwise a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- persistantly greatfussbudgetDined on 7/24/2014I've been coming here, when I could, for nearly 30 years, and have never had food or wine that weren't very, very satisfying. Same for service, ambiance, cleanliness, variety of preparations, etc., etc.Special Features:
- Cute, tucked away place in SOMAAlfieDined on 7/19/2014Food was great, service was fast, and overall, it was a reasonable price (at least by SF standards). I wouldn't call it a crazy standout, but definitely an enjoyable evening and a solid meal! Worth a visit if you are in the SOMA area.Special Features:
- Feels like a French cafeJanButlerVIPDined on 7/11/2014Pig salad was wonderful! Main course was hanger steak which was also delicious. The big disappointment was the salmon. It was fishy - not fresh. Service was great.Special Features:
- Lovely, tasty and quieteatwellVIPDined on 7/10/2014Enjoyed a quiet, delicious meal in a small, neighborhood spot. Food was prepared simply and well. The pate appetizer was excellent as was the duck entree. The salmon dish was not quite up to par. The zucchini accompanying the salmon was not great. Otherwise our dining experience was excellent.Special Features:
- SOMA delightdonaldDined on 7/8/2014After reading the Yelp reviews on South Park, we decided to have dinner there and were not disappointed. Our server was friendly and engaging. The food was an absolute delight! We had The Pig Salad and Pork & Duck Pate to start and both were equally amazing but the dressing gave the salad the edge. Mains were duck confit and hangar steak. Again, duck confit was moist and full of flavour with the lentils soaking up all the jus and the steak was tender and done just right. Kudos to the chef and staff for a true french bistro experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EddieVIPDined on 6/20/2014South Park Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants in the neighborhood, with friendly service and consistently reliable food that is simply prepared and delicious, every time.Special Features:
- Local favorite!Flowergirl53Dined on 6/12/2014This is another lovely local place, like a little French cafe. South Park is an oasis, (if you can overlook the local seedy characters) of a quiet park setting amidst urban sterile buildings. The food is so delicious and reasonably priced. The best deal in the City may be the prix fixe for $39. Octopus salad is wonderful. The crispy pork belly appetizer is a must. The food is carefully prepared and presentation is outstanding. A great spot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- comfy and cozyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2014This restaurant is a hidden gem, with great service and park location it's ideal for a romantic 'get away'. The food is suburb and constantly changing which can both be bad and good because your delicious dish that you order might not be there next time around!Special Features:
- A bit of ParisFernandoDined on 5/30/2014Returned to S.P.Cafe after many years! It is a gem hidden in the south part of the city! Expect that my 82nd Bday will be spent there! When I was working, it was a lunch destination and occasionally for dinner. Glad to have rediscovered it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South ParkyAndyDined on 5/30/2014This restaurant fits South Park like a nice garden party hat. The food is tasty, the choices just right. The staff are friendly, neighborly, in fact, and seem interested in making your party happy. It is noisy, mainly because of acoustics, but also because they have a lot of tables in a fairly small space. It is part of a neighborhood restaurant ambience, so in most cases it is not so bad, except for the occasional screechy laugher (screech laughing on both inhales and exhales LOL).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love South Park CafejoanneDined on 5/29/2014I have been going to South Park Cafe for many years. I love the food, the ambience, and the owners (Marty and Ward, the chef). I always get the three-course prix fixe menu, and I always start off with the Pig Salad ... it's delicious. Then I usually get the fish entree, which is always great, no matter which type of fish it is. My favorite entree of all times was the rack of lamb with baked macaroni and cheese ... alas, not on the menu now, but hopefully will return some day. I also usually eat a good sampling of everything my dining partner orders ... last week's veal ribs were terrific, as was the smoked trout appetizer. I also have a glass of Sancerre, a really tasty white wine. I feel at home there, and welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best kept secretcbgb2VIPDined on 5/23/2014Most people don't know that South Park even exists. For a relaxing, neighborhood restaurant with fantastic food you can't beat it! I hope it never gets too popular as tables will be hard to get :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemCat11Dined on 5/16/2014A secret spot located on a hidden park in the City. Small selection but the dishes are well prepared and presented. Very friendly staff. Reservations are a must.Special Features: