South Park Cafe
108 South Park
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
South Park Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.southparkcafe.com/
- Phone: 4154957275x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Ward Little
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties require a "buy-out" of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Marty Berg 4154957275x
A word from South Park Cafe
South Park Cafe has been serving rustic French cuisine since 1985. Gourmet Magazine called South Park "One of the best little French restaurants in San Francisco". Michael Bauer says "Feels like a little slice of Paris and the food is as good as ever".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
South Park Cafe - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
South Park Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)romantic (30)fit for foodies (29)special occasion (24)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Nice French Bistro in SFDinerproDined on 8/16/2014Really nice, cozy restaurant with good food very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great place, wonderful serviceCSA7Dined on 8/14/2014Food was great, atmosphere was great, and they were very accommodating when one of us was running very late and had to push back the reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate Fist ExperiencetccrunsDined on 8/14/2014Had to send the shrimp back twice because they were cold in the middle and our female waiter never said I am sorry or apologized. Then when the check is presented, not even a thank you. Why are restaurants and there servers like this. Will not be returning.
- grrrrreat!knetwothreeDined on 8/8/2014Stew was awesome! My boyfriend keeps on asking me to make him more:) I wish there were more vegetarian options though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific neighborhood spotChuckZVIPDined on 8/7/2014Always one of my favorites in San Francisco for an informal dinner. The food is interesting and variable, and never disappoints. Not pretentious or super fancy, just good and tasty. There is always something everyone will like. The wine list is short, but very well chosen, interesting, goes with the food and fairly priced. Everyone who works here is friendly and a pleasure to deal with. The chef and the host have been here for many years, as have some of the waiters. The location on South Park is pleasant and convenient, at least when there is no Giants game. This restaurant has a very friendly and relaxed vibe. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/2/2014This restaurant has a nice neighborhood kind of feel, food and service were good. Prices were reasonable and worth the effort to get there from across town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional bistroFeldmanDined on 7/29/2014Maybe the best of South Park is that it does not fall in many of your above categories. Just a good french-style bistro fare. Well prepared food without attempting to be flashy. No square plates or oversize bowls. For my taste, I consider South Park a true "gem".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite restaurantFoodloversDined on 7/26/2014We keep coming back to this restaurant for his constant quality of food, service and ambiance at a reasonable price for SF. We always love the pig salad, and the variety of entrees. Keep up the good work and we will keep coming back. Annie and MichaelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perennially reliably goodBeenilesDined on 7/25/2014When I lived in the city, South Park was a favorite little known secret on the edges of no mans land. Now as a result of development, it's central and accessible from South Beach and the ballpark yet it somehow retains that hidden gem appeal. This restaurant has been a go to favorite for literally decades. I had not been there in a long time and it was as good as I remembered. The prix fixe for $39 gets you three courses and wine is generously poured by the glass. Tables are closely placed but not too close. Intimate surroundings. Great service. The only demerit was the warm goat cheese salad. The crouton was burned. I would not have served it and there was slightly too much dressing. Otherwise a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- persistantly greatfussbudgetDined on 7/24/2014I've been coming here, when I could, for nearly 30 years, and have never had food or wine that weren't very, very satisfying. Same for service, ambiance, cleanliness, variety of preparations, etc., etc.Special Features:
- Cute, tucked away place in SOMAAlfieDined on 7/19/2014Food was great, service was fast, and overall, it was a reasonable price (at least by SF standards). I wouldn't call it a crazy standout, but definitely an enjoyable evening and a solid meal! Worth a visit if you are in the SOMA area.Special Features:
- Feels like a French cafeJanButlerVIPDined on 7/11/2014Pig salad was wonderful! Main course was hanger steak which was also delicious. The big disappointment was the salmon. It was fishy - not fresh. Service was great.Special Features:
- Lovely, tasty and quieteatwellVIPDined on 7/10/2014Enjoyed a quiet, delicious meal in a small, neighborhood spot. Food was prepared simply and well. The pate appetizer was excellent as was the duck entree. The salmon dish was not quite up to par. The zucchini accompanying the salmon was not great. Otherwise our dining experience was excellent.Special Features:
- SOMA delightdonaldDined on 7/8/2014After reading the Yelp reviews on South Park, we decided to have dinner there and were not disappointed. Our server was friendly and engaging. The food was an absolute delight! We had The Pig Salad and Pork & Duck Pate to start and both were equally amazing but the dressing gave the salad the edge. Mains were duck confit and hangar steak. Again, duck confit was moist and full of flavour with the lentils soaking up all the jus and the steak was tender and done just right. Kudos to the chef and staff for a true french bistro experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EddieVIPDined on 6/20/2014South Park Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants in the neighborhood, with friendly service and consistently reliable food that is simply prepared and delicious, every time.Special Features:
- Local favorite!Flowergirl53Dined on 6/12/2014This is another lovely local place, like a little French cafe. South Park is an oasis, (if you can overlook the local seedy characters) of a quiet park setting amidst urban sterile buildings. The food is so delicious and reasonably priced. The best deal in the City may be the prix fixe for $39. Octopus salad is wonderful. The crispy pork belly appetizer is a must. The food is carefully prepared and presentation is outstanding. A great spot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- comfy and cozyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/31/2014This restaurant is a hidden gem, with great service and park location it's ideal for a romantic 'get away'. The food is suburb and constantly changing which can both be bad and good because your delicious dish that you order might not be there next time around!Special Features:
- A bit of ParisFernandoDined on 5/30/2014Returned to S.P.Cafe after many years! It is a gem hidden in the south part of the city! Expect that my 82nd Bday will be spent there! When I was working, it was a lunch destination and occasionally for dinner. Glad to have rediscovered it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South ParkyAndyDined on 5/30/2014This restaurant fits South Park like a nice garden party hat. The food is tasty, the choices just right. The staff are friendly, neighborly, in fact, and seem interested in making your party happy. It is noisy, mainly because of acoustics, but also because they have a lot of tables in a fairly small space. It is part of a neighborhood restaurant ambience, so in most cases it is not so bad, except for the occasional screechy laugher (screech laughing on both inhales and exhales LOL).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love South Park CafejoanneDined on 5/29/2014I have been going to South Park Cafe for many years. I love the food, the ambience, and the owners (Marty and Ward, the chef). I always get the three-course prix fixe menu, and I always start off with the Pig Salad ... it's delicious. Then I usually get the fish entree, which is always great, no matter which type of fish it is. My favorite entree of all times was the rack of lamb with baked macaroni and cheese ... alas, not on the menu now, but hopefully will return some day. I also usually eat a good sampling of everything my dining partner orders ... last week's veal ribs were terrific, as was the smoked trout appetizer. I also have a glass of Sancerre, a really tasty white wine. I feel at home there, and welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best kept secretcbgb2VIPDined on 5/23/2014Most people don't know that South Park even exists. For a relaxing, neighborhood restaurant with fantastic food you can't beat it! I hope it never gets too popular as tables will be hard to get :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemCat11Dined on 5/16/2014A secret spot located on a hidden park in the City. Small selection but the dishes are well prepared and presented. Very friendly staff. Reservations are a must.Special Features:
- ChocoDined on 5/16/2014Has been a favorite for more than 25 years!! The waitress is always good humored and fun, the food always delicious. Feels like you're in a corner of Paris.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EnvironmentJeffmDined on 4/26/2014The neighborhood and the restaurant and both attractive. We started with the pate' which was delicious. Then we split the mussels which were really good but a bit bland. Perhaps a little more garlic in the sauce would have made it better. I had the hanger steak which was perfectly cooked and the sauce was amazing. My partner had the duck breast. He loved the duck breast, it was perfectly cooked, but thought the sweet cabbage was way too sweet. The good thing about the sweet cabbage was that we didn't need desert. The wait staff was fantastic. Very accomodating. The restaurant interior is very warm and inviting. If people weren't speaking English, I could have imagined we were in Paris.Special Features:
- Consistently outstandingSaundraDined on 4/25/2014We have dined at South Park for a dozen years, and have never been disappointed. Ward's amazing creations are consistently fresh and ever so French. This last visit was no exception: the meal shone, and the service was better than ever. Thank you again for a memorable meal and experience at So Park Cafe.Special Features:
- Elegant and SimpleRegularDinerVIPDined on 4/23/2014It simply doesn't get better whether one is dining alone, as a couple or with a group of friends. They have a price fixe which is nice to consider if one is into adding a dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 550 reviews are from the South Park Cafe reviews archive.
- It makes for a good dinnerARTFOCUSDined on 4/9/2014It makes for a good dinner experience when the staff and kitchen are accommodating. I asked for something that was not on the menu and they delivered with a smile.Special Features:
- We appreciated that SouthChocoDined on 4/9/2014We appreciated that South Park Cafe accommodated our large party of 7. Our server was patient and funny and it was a great evening! Like being in a neighborhood in the 6th or 7th in Paris. Great food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was I in Paris?1santarosagirlDined on 4/4/2014I had lived many years in the City, but was now out of touch with the restaurants. What a wonderful surprise! South Park was a charming little neighbor hood, and the Cafe was so comfortable there. The decor was minimalist but very tasteful and warm. Our meal was a a terrific hit. My friend and I ordered the 'pig salad' to share as it seemed to be a favorite in the reviews. The crispy pig morsels were amazing, especially when combined with the apples, frisee, and mustard vinaigrette. My hanger steak arrived perfectly cooked in a wine reduction sauce to die for. My friend ordered the halibut on a bed of spinach and she was totally delighted. Our service was perfect without being intrusive and the wine list was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALWAYS a Favorite!OceanwindDined on 4/3/2014Breakfast, lunch, dinner - my most favorite place in San Francisco for more than 20 years! Never changes - a menu update or addition from time to time, but always charming, great food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and Great FoodtreattoeatDined on 3/22/2014Had dinner with two old friends. We could actually have a conversation and hear each other. The food and wine were great (steak/frites!!), as was the service. Our waiter was really patient—we were so busy talking it took a while to get around to ordering. Very warm ambience. Charming, European atmosphere. Great location...out of that Valencia Street and downtown chaos. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to be...JaniceNDined on 3/21/2014We have gone to South Park for years, but the last couple of times -- the food has been pretty disappointing. I started off with the field greens salad -- it was just that....lettuce lightly dressed w/a very bland dressing. Would have benefitted from at least a crouton for eight bucks. Next I had the Skirt Steak and fries -- it was VERY tough and gristly. The sauce was not tasty and had a bad aftertaste. The fries were not anything special. I followed that with the peach and coconut sorbet. The coconut was good, but the peach sorbet tasted like it was made w/canned peaches and had the color to match. We won't be back.Special Features:
- food vs ambiancepegan5bVIPDined on 3/19/2014Dined @ South Park for decades and sad to see it has not decided whether or not to focus on food, service or ambiance [read, noise level]. I believe it could be all three, but thus far the food is typically 4 star, service uneven and noise level ridiculous.Special Features:
- Always delightfulJesseVIPDined on 3/11/2014Great food, with very personal service. The closest you can get to a Paris bistro in San Francisco. You will never be disappointed. Excellent duck. Fabulous pig salad. Lovely first courses. Best hanger steak-frites in town. Very nice selection of wines. It's very satisfying to come back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, nice experienceyarnloverDined on 3/1/2014We enjoyed the experience. Good service. Food was very good, but not exceptional. Reasonable value for the money. We will go back.Special Features:
- Excellent dininghenartsVIPDined on 2/18/2014As a business traveller I eat alone mostly. I had a nice table, in this cosy little restaurant. The atmosphere is good, friendly. The food was excellent, this is a place where I will return if back in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent...BillDined on 2/15/2014Seated right away with reservation, service very friendly but not overbearing. Menu selection diverse, good wine selections and pairing advise. Food delivered promptly and hot, excellent flavors. Could use one or two non-dairy (for lactose intolerance) dessert choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a location where modernTommyDined on 2/14/2014In a location where modern dining establishments rule the roost, South Park Cafe is refreshingly quaint and exudes neighborhood charm. The food is classic French bistro fare, and I very much enjoyed my pork belly appetizer, and the duck was also cooked perfectly. With a few minor upgrades to the interior (i.e. china, flatware, linens, and a fresh coat of paint), my "ambiance" rating would have been higher. With a menu that included more seasonal and local legumes, South Park Cafe could really go above and beyond a simple neighborhood dining establishment. I always ask myself if I'd return to a restaurant, again when I write a review. My answer is yes - it'll be exciting to see what developments might take place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do the prex fixeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/13/2014This is a relatively quiet, not inexpensive but not expensive, neighborhood bistro. Great food, good wine list, and charming. The prex fixe is the best way to go. Wonderful meal, relaxing and delicious. Parking is a challenge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still excellentCucumberDined on 2/6/2014I hadn't been to the South Park in years. I read the positive reviews and decided to give it a try. It stood up well to the reviews. The remoulade of celery root and beets was basically crudite, and was perfectly dressed and seasoned. Simple vegetables prepared such that they were exquisite. The Artic char was cooked perfectly and the accompanying vegetables went well with it and were also delicious. The service was prompt and attentive without being intrusive. It has an ambiance of a quiet neighborhood cafe, which I love in comparison to trendy, noisy, hyper kinetic venues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.