South Park Cafe
108 South Park
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
South Park Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.southparkcafe.com/
- Phone: (415) 495-7275
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Ward Little
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties require a "buy-out" of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Marty Berg 4154957275x
A word from South Park Cafe
South Park Cafe has been serving rustic French cuisine since 1985. Gourmet Magazine called South Park "One of the best little French restaurants in San Francisco". Michael Bauer says "Feels like a little slice of Paris and the food is as good as ever".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
South Park Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (36)romantic (32)special occasion (15)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)hot spot (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- My wife and I have made itAbertonianVIPDined on 11/2/2013My wife and I have made it an informal project of ours to try every French restaurant in the city of San Francisco in recent years, and South Park Cafe jumps immediately towards the top of our leaderboard. The chef here really knows how to bring out the very best in food with several interesting dishes that are beautifully seasoned. We had the lentil & bacon soup and the pig salad for appetizers, both of which were outstanding. Our entrees (duck and chicken) were also excellent. And the profiteroles and thr Fuji apple crepes that we had dessert were among the best we've ever had in a French restaurant. If you're a little tired of a dessert menu that always offers creme brulee and apple tart, you'll enjoy the alternative offerings here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great for vegetariansarthurDined on 10/19/2013One choice and it was very spicy. Everything else was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is a neighborhood gem...EastBaycouple2Dined on 10/12/2013We should branch out more when we eat in the city but keep coming back to South Park Cafe. It's like being in Paris!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charming and deliciouscislandDined on 10/10/2013our family, which includes a 14 year old who is not always easy to please, enjoyed a wonderful birthday celebration here last week. in a city filled with meticulously decorated restaurants and menus that take themselves a bit too seriously, south park cafe is a refreshing departure. comfortably decorated and romantically lit, it feels like a neighborhood bistro in paris. the french fare is straight forward and delicious. we loved the trout salad, baked goat cheese, steak frites, cous cous and the mahi mahi. all were delicious and the service was attentive and helpful. looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/9/2013South Park is a very nice, comfortable neighborhood restaurant. It has been one of our favorite places to dine in SF for many years. The food is always good, wine list matches up well with the menu & the servers are always pleasant & helpful. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, excellent restaurant!!!horseffDined on 10/3/2013I have been eating at South Park for close to 20 years and always love it. I have a timeshare in San Francisco and try to eat here whenever I am in the city, but don't always make it because sometimes my only free evening is on Monday, when they are closed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very charming little Frenchdiner99VIPDined on 9/13/2013A very charming little French place on a nice little park. Food is not fancy, just very well done with a good selection. The prix fixe is a bargain at $39 for three courses. We liked it a lot.I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 9/7/2013after not being here for some time I decided to give it another chance. arrived and table was waiting and placed orders. 1/2 of the appeti/zers came quickly and the other guests waited 10 minutes for theirs. service was poor and waiter did not seem to understand that guests enjoy eating together.. entrees arrived and duck with lentil and rutabaga was disappointing as cabbage had not flavor... chicken was superb. high prices for mediocre eats. not worth the trip back
- Our favorite bistro...South Park Camuameans2havefunVIPDined on 9/6/2013Once again we were delighted by a recent visit to South Park Cafe. We have turned to our favorite bistro in SF for consistent and flavor dishes. We were not disappointed...we ordered and enjoyed the Octopus salad, Grouper, and Clams as well as a wonderful dessert of Profiteroles. Service was pleasant and professional, we always enjoy the interior and feel we are back in Paris at a neighborhood bistro, and the food is very consistent. We will return soon...Special Features:
- Snarly servicePMH06VIPDined on 8/27/2013Group was treated rudely and food was forgettable. A significant disappointment.
- must go for great food.fun2dineDined on 8/24/2013Have gone to this resturant many times and will keep going. The food is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good chicken and goodHawaiianHoyaDined on 8/17/2013Really good chicken and good wine. Nice atmosphere. Feels like Europe when you are there.Special Features:
- Loved the fish and new farroLennyVIPDined on 8/17/2013Loved the fish and new farro addition was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingTeddVIPDined on 8/10/2013The charm of this lovely cafe on South Park is always worth my trip from the east bay. The food is of excellent quality, perfectly prepared and the service is very attentive. The experience will make any evening there special.Special Features:
- Paris Bistro in San FranciscoOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2013Paris Bistro ambience with great food and a wine list filled with bargains. Great for dates and for couples.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I tasted all the dishes atOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/2/2013I tasted all the dishes at the table. The Duck was excellent the Salmon was okay! I had the vegetarian polenta it was good but not exciting. The crispy pork belly appetizer was delicious. The octopus salad didn't have much octopus.Special Features:
- Take a Trip to ParisconchsaladDined on 7/24/2013Nestled in the quaint South Park enclave a visit here is a real treat. It feels like entering a European square. The ambience in the restaurant is unpretentious and soothing, the staff warm and professional. And the food, never a disappointment. Creative takes on California/European cuisine, delightful flavors, and perfectly prepared. Add a great wine list. Overall a delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great french BistroErikaVIPDined on 7/13/2013The signature pork salad was very good, Duck is great, salmon was OK> desserts were all good. Service was good. I do not know how much discount we got by ordering 3 course meal($39) but certainly reasonable. We will go back again when we are in that area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & satisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/27/2013If I lived in the South Park neighborhood, I'd go here every night. They were able to accommodate my allergic companion (wheat, dairy, AND soy. Poor thing) directly from the menu. Amazingly simple but delightful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Park has been a go-toOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2013South Park has been a go-to favorite of ours for years. We went this time with another couple who'd never been before. They loved it as much as we do. Parking can be a problem if there's a Giants game but we lucked out as the game had ended about 20 minutes before we arrived.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food; very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2013we arrived at 6:30, the place was about 25% full . The food was excellent. At first the noise level waspleasantly low, but as the placefilled up, it became loud enough to amke conversation difficult. So we had two thirds of the time to talk, then the lastthird not. Open Table needs a louder category than "energetic" something like Don't bother talking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very bland and unnoticeablLindaVIPDined on 5/18/2013Food was very bland and unnoticeable for the price
- a mixed blessingOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/18/2013we love this place for its intimacy and friendliness. unfortunately, the food is only average and the mixed drinks were really quite atrocious. new ideas and a new standard in the kitchen, and a new bartender, would be most welcome.Special Features:
- A low key, delightful Frenchdiner99VIPDined on 5/10/2013A low key, delightful French themed restaurant with a very good prix fixe option ($39 for three courses) We will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- a perennial gemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/13/2013My wife and I have been dining at South Park Cafe intermitantly for over 20 years and we have never been served a bad meal. The food and atmosphere is genuinely that of a romantic French bistro. We will always come back.Special Features:
- From the moment you step intoWG58VIPDined on 4/13/2013From the moment you step into South Park Café, you feel like you are in a Parisian neighborhood bistro. Their price fixe dinner can't be beat - the only problem is which one starter, entrée and dessert to order. Recommend coming with friends who like to share tastes - that way you can have it all. Right now, the asparagus starter is outstanding as is their pork salad. Hangar steak and frites were delicious also.Special Features:
- Like stepping into FranceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/10/2013Like stepping into France and the owner is in the kitchen working--where he's been for 18 years.Special Features:
- A gem of a place, most of the timegastronomemiraDined on 4/6/2013South Park Cafe is a favorite of mine because the food is excellent and one can generally hold a civilized conversation, without unbearable ambient noise. Unfortunately that experience was not to be last Saturday April 6th, due to a neighboring table with 3 young women in a group of 5-6 who were so loud and so totally oblivious that their loud mouths and laughter were disrupting the enjoyment of their fellow diners. A couple at a table between ours and theirs left in frustration after a single course.This is a plea to all the SF diners that in a respectable restaurant such as this, the well-being of fellow diners needs to be considered/respected. This is not a joint or a bar where such behavior is predictable/tolerated.Special Features:
- In an unassuming neighborhoodextremehumanoidDined on 4/4/2013In an unassuming neighborhood in an unassuming building sits this charming gem of a "cafe", really a gourmet restaurant serving simple but creative fare with a flair. We were able to park easily and felt quite safe, even at night as we left. The full bar is always welcome, but there's something for everyone on the mean to drink and eat. We were not rushed, although the restaurant was not crowded this particular Thursday night. The prices were fair, and I left feeling not only satisfied as a would-be gourmand but also as a member of the middle class. We will go back soon.Special Features:
- Quintessential Local BistroMichaelinsfVIPDined on 4/2/2013It's hard to go wrong with South Park Cafe. Always good, always dependable. While people always say this about bistros, this one does feel like a little bit of Paris. All the favorites are here and they are always tasty. I especially like the wine list, which has a nice selection of moderately priced wines. Service is solid. We live in the neighborhood and keep going back.Special Features:
- We always enjoy this restaurant.DinerVIPDined on 3/22/2013We always enjoy this restaurant. It is consisten in the quailty of both the food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Among our FavoritesSouthgalVIPDined on 3/19/2013Southpark is always a pleasure. We go here often. There is always something new on the menu to try along with our old favorites. The service is friendly and knowledgeable, the wines excellent. Nestled in a storefront on the park, the ambience allows for conversation.Special Features:
- not cutting edge but comfortableDoroDined on 3/16/2013not cutting edge but comfortable and warm. noted that it was definitely and older crowd. parking plentiful. enjoyableSpecial Features:
- The food was very good withoutCrazynutterDined on 3/16/2013The food was very good without being pretentious . The mussels were delicious. The wine list is appropriate, eclectic and fairly priced. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Same ol' gemJerryDined on 3/15/2013Always great, this joint has never wavered from its early days' success. I still look for my old favorites, and add new ones to the list. The amazing bargain of a $39 prix fixe with all menu items available to choose from is irresistible. Don't miss the duck breast cooked to perfection on a bed of red cabbage and turnips all around. No pretentious-sounding stuff you've never heard of (like at Bar Tartine), but good dependable cooking like your granny might have served if you were lucky enough to have a French granny! All in a swet room with very easy parking right out front on the circle of South Park.Special Features:
- This small restaurant couldnikkiDined on 3/15/2013This small restaurant could be on a tucked-away Parisian street. We met the chef... the food was wonderful: salad, fresh asparagus, steaks, mussels, trout, the fish of the day, the pear tart, the ice cream sundae... each dish the best version of that dish we had ever had. The staff was terrific, the atmosphere welcoming. Be sure to reserve a table, as it is a small and cozy space.Special Features:
- Very cordial and accommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/13/2013Very cordial and accommodating for our group of 7. The prix fixe is a good value with a fine selection. It is a nice walk to a new neighborhood from downtown hotels.Special Features:
- South Park Cafe is one ofEastBaycouple2Dined on 3/1/2013South Park Cafe is one of our favorites. The neighborhood is quiet and nicely off the beaten path, the food is amazing. We'll keep going back year after year.Special Features:
- Our group enjoyed the foodmillievanillieVIPDined on 2/26/2013Our group enjoyed the food and service. We numbered six and were able to carry on conversations. We tried each other's choices from the prix fixe dinner and found the appetizer favorite was smoked trout salad. My entree was the grouper which I enjoyed. Portions of food were generous. The desserts were outstanding; we tried several and the pear tart was the favorite. Service was good and the server answered our questions. I would return again to try other menu choices.Special Features:
- Surly waiter.fredarepVIPDined on 2/23/2013I recently moved back to this neighborhood & came here the 1st night. Love it. Then a couple of friends wanted to see our place, I made a rez for the next Sat. night. Thena couple who are close to us all flew in spur of the moment so I called to see if we could get a table for 6. Marty graciously fit us in 1/2 hour earlier. The problem is the waiter. He didn't want present anything, just get the order, look dismayed that only a few wanted a glass of wine & go about his business. We finally flagged him down for water. Seems a bit rushed. The rez was at 7pm & we were completely done with desserts at 8:15. We all put our c-cards down & signed. He came back & chastised my husband for leaving $2 less than 18% (Each couple was $120).Hmmmm-weirdSpecial Features: