South of Beale
361 S Main St
Memphis, TN 38103-4207Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
South of Beale
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southofbeale.com/
- Phone: 9015260388x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - midnight (late night menu after 10:00pm)
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am (late night menu after 11:00pm)
Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: C.J. White
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: If you wish to host a private party/event at South of Beale, please contact Brittany Cabigao at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 901-526-0388.
A word from South of Beale
gas·tro·pub \'gastrә'pәb\ noun - environment with a strong emphasis on chef-driven food, paired with good ale & wine, in a casual setting - the anti restaurant; where the quality of food is superb without the stuffy atmosphereContinued
- a pub serving not only food, but great food.
We reserve only half of our dining room. Walk-ins are always welcomed.
- a pub serving not only food, but great food.
We reserve only half of our dining room. Walk-ins are always welcomed.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
South of Beale - Best Restaurants in Memphis ›
South of Beale reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (30)vibrant bar scene (21)great for lunch (17)hot spot (16)late-night find (15)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (10)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (4)special occasion (3)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- BestofbirminghamBestofBirminghamDined on 9/14/2014Food and service were an unexpected pleasure. We were looking for a new place for Sunday brunch and found it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good SpotSaulDined on 9/2/2014The SOB Burger is a must! Also had the Chicken & Waffle Sliders but the waffle was hard. The duck fried rice is amazing also. Pretty good beer selection. I was disappointed with their sangria.Special Features:
- Worth the tripMsmcVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were in Memphis visiting our son and daughter-in-law and they suggested SOB - awesome! The bar specials were great, apps very creative and delicious. Two of us had the duck patty melt which was amazing. Very accommodating switching around sides and setups. Our waiter was charming - Spencer, thanks for a great dinner. We were tired and hungry and you took great care of us. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Food great, Service so so!GirlpackfiveDined on 8/22/2014The food was wonderful! Made from scratch and great seasoning! Really fantastic flavors. Our waitress was high or just simple unaware! She filled our alcoholic drinks with water when we needed refills because our water cups were beside our alcohol drinks. She gave food to the wrong persons. Closing out our tickets took almost as long as cooking the food did. Food was worth staying but service could improve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyJersey12Dined on 8/20/2014Good food, good service, lots of gluten free options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Chicken and Waffle Sliders were excellent as was the Fried Egg BLT. Definitely on the list of favorite brunch places.Special Features:
- Worth the walk from BealeHappyCanuckDined on 8/12/2014We recently vacationed in Memphis and went to South Of Beale based on a recommendation. I gave the food only three stars since some of the things we ordered were really good (the bar pie) and some were not that good (the corn chowder). But overall we had a good experience and would suggest people try this spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!MaryVIPDined on 8/9/2014Been here twice now and the food and service are great. Nice little place in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- I must go back!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I saw SOB on DDD and I was more than satisfied with the great good, great service and the atmosphere!! It was an experience I'll never forget! Everything I tried was delicious! The drinks were great and how I wished that they could bag the popcorn so I could've brought it back to Brandon, MS with me!!!! I also had to have a Tshirt to remember this great gastro-pub!!! So with all of that being said, I must go back again, very soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu, mediocre executionpitcrewDined on 8/2/2014The menu at SOB is impressive, foodies will be pleased with the offerings. However, the execution was not as impressive as the menu listings. The swordfish on the swordfish salad was grossly overcooked to the point of being dry and tasteless. Oxtail wontons and duck fried rice were both great dishes as was the shrimp and grits. Deserts were overcooked, we had the brownie and the jack/coke bread pudding. Service was great and location was cool. I just expected much more with such a funky menu. OK if you are looking for adventure, if you want a great meal go somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice TimeNikiDined on 8/1/2014Food was pretty good as were the drinks. Our waiter did seem slightly nervous and awkward. Maybe it was his first Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Excellent restaurant. A new favorite! The service was great, the food was incredible.Special Features:
- Unexpectedly good foodDrChrisDined on 7/25/2014This place is a real local favorite and with a quick glance you might dismiss it as just having 'bar food'. But SOB does much more with the food than any regular bar ever would. We always love the cheese plate and the bar pie but this time we found that one of our favorite dishes at SOB is the braised brussels sprouts! The cocktail menu is good as well is the selection of tap beers. Great place and worth the short walk south on Main from Beale!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!JustSayinDined on 7/25/2014Our dinner and service was great! The food was excellent, especially the hummus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014SOB was everything I expected and more!!! Wonderful food and excellent service. I will definitely be visiting again SOON!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diners, Drive Ins, and DivesBluffCityFoodieDined on 7/5/2014This was my second visit to SOB. I arrived around 5 within hours of seeing it on triple D. I ordered the duck fried rice, and the bread pudding. The food had great potential but I didn't get the same treatment as Guy (shocker). Popcorn stale, rice well seasoned, great flavor, skimped on the duck, bread pudding burned and too dense for my tastes. Thank goodness the bartender was friendly and attentive. I love the vibe but I need my food to be fresh....better luck next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodieKatDined on 7/3/2014SOB looked promising at first: gastro pub atmosphere, good menu. We had 5 people and everyone got different food items so we could share and try them. I'm not accustomed to seasoning my food once it gets to the table; however, everything needed to be seasoned. The gouda mac and cheese needed more cheese and was bland - it needed salt and pepper - a disappointment since I enjoy good mac and cheese. The sausage was very good but the slaw covering it was not. The chicken sandwich was just o.k. The catfish had some good pieces and some that were not as good. If you like mint, the mango lemonade mint popsicles were good; the bread pudding was dry, the ice cream served with it had many ice particles in it. A disappointment with everyone.
- YUMMMMM!PatoofDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I have season tickets to the Orpheum. For the past year, we have been going to SOB before every show. The 20% discount given to Orpheum season ticket holders even includes cocktails. It is also within walking distance to the Orpheum so the location is very convenient. The service is always good. Great beer list! The food is amazing! Try the shrimp and grits, the gouda mac and cheese, or the duck fried rice. You will not be disappointed. Do not leave without trying the Jack and Coke bread pudding. It is to die for! I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastropub?Hammer8266Dined on 6/28/2014Not sure what a gastropub is, but they say SOB is one. Food was not your typical pub grub. The duck fried rice was different and great. The fried green tomatoes were different, not sure i liked them much. The chicken sandwich was great, but in the end it was a chicken sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great affordable menuARobertsDined on 6/28/2014The atmosphere is cool and drink menu is interesting. Had a wonderful meal. Would like to take a group sometime.Special Features:
- Theater lunchItsalarkDined on 6/28/2014We picked SOB based on the published menu. The food and service did not disappoint. As advertised, this gastro-pub is a gem. Our group of 4 had the chicken sandwich, fries, Mac & cheese, orzo, beet salad and fried green tomatoes. It was all very very good. The room is small and a bit too loud but the happy crowd was watching soccer. We will return and recommend it to other adults.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- klowDined on 6/26/2014Kitchen was backed up night we went. They were overbooked. Food overcooked. On previous visit everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't hear myself think!mmmemphisDined on 6/25/2014Hearing about SOB for so long, I thought we've give it a try since we were going to the theatre. The food was mediocre. I should have ordered the shrimp and grits since that's the most talked about entree, but opted for the special 'sloppy joe'. It was tasty but mostly bread. The french fries looked like they had been fried in grease that needed to be changed out about 6 months ago. My husband had the salmon with brussel sprouts and loved it. Beer specials are really good. The noise level was the downfall of the establishment. Probably won't go back since we live so far away and rarely eat downtown.Special Features:
- Great Pub!TennesseeFoodieDined on 6/16/2014SOB bills itself as a GastroPub and it lives up to the name. Great food and a good beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014Food was outstanding. Drinks were great. Reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great food and funBryanVIPDined on 6/14/2014Salmon was the best ever. And the fried avacados were a real delicacy.Special Features:
- WonderfulSantopherDined on 6/12/2014We were in town on vacation. Found South of Beale from Food Network. Definate Memphis treasure. Our waiter (Spencer) was awesome. Oxtail Wontons, Duck Patty Melt, Jack Bread Pudding. Perfection.Special Features:
- lovefoodDined on 6/8/2014I feel like there are so many Diner Drive-ins and Dives that end up being a disappointment...the beer special and appetizers were great...the "flatbread pizza" - terrible and fish and chips just ok....having seen some of downtown Memphis this is likely still a good option - but I would stick with appetizers.
- GreatShellVIPDined on 6/6/2014I love SOB. Terrific fresh menu and interesting food combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemphisMomVIPDined on 6/6/2014I was so impressed with each item we sampled and we sampled many! There were three of us and the food was too good not to share. It is a young crowd, but the food is worth braving the scene - even for us folks a bit older. Loved it.pSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food & great atmosphereMemphisGrownDined on 6/6/2014We had a wonderful experience at SOB! We arrived 10 minutes before our reservation but our table was ready and they seated us immediately. All of the food was amazing! The duck fried rice and scallops were my favorite. The gouda mac and cheese was delicious too. The drink menu had a nice variety and there was a good selection of local beers on tap. The tables were very close together but it was still a good atmosphere. We went before a concert and the service was quick despite the restaurant being very busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic varietyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2014Tried 3 appetizers. The fried green tomatoes, fried avocados, and chicken n' waffle sliders. While the fried avocados weren't for me, the person I was with loved them. The chicken and waffle sliders were a perfect flavor combo. The Jack and Coke desert was absolutely incredible. I'll be back to try the rest of the items on the menu I missed out on.Special Features:
- The following 13 reviews are from the South of Beale reviews archive.
- Delicious and fun!MeghaDined on 5/16/2014Great vibe and AMAZING food! The duck patty melt was out of this world, and the risotto is one of the best I've ever had in my life. A must-try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodbigalDined on 5/15/2014I had the Cajun Sausage Hot Dog and my wife had the Orzo Pasta. Both of them were amazing. My wife let me try the Orzo and it was so good I was second guessing my choice of the hot dog. That's not to say the hot dog wasn't great either. The brussels sprouts slow really made the dish.Special Features:
- Good, but . . .CleanyourplateVIPDined on 5/10/2014Service at South of Beale was excellent, with a very personable and attentive waitress. Some of the dishes were great (duck fried rice, shrimp with grits), but others were more mixed (grilled salmon was a bit overdone and dry, even though tasty; accompanying Brussels sprouts were great, but ends should have been trimmed higher to make less chewy). The room is basically a funky old barroom, with TV playing over the bar. We live in foodie-ville (Sonoma County, CA), and we tried to make a break from the steady flow of traditional Southern food on our trip by eating here -- it was good, but I wouldn't rush back.Special Features:
- RojoRojoVIPDined on 5/4/2014Went here right before MusicFest. Perfect experience! Service was excellent, cocktails were superb, and the food was wonderful. Will be back.Special Features:
- Worth the visitGaryDined on 4/27/2014Enjoyed our brunch at S.O.B. very much. Parking next door or on the street. A little noisey but it was mainly coming from a table of 8 being alittle loud, after they left it was quite enjoyable. Food was good, several different items on the menu I will be going back to try. Overall S.O.B. is a place I will add to my "brunch" list.Special Features:
- Need to See MoreAundraDined on 4/26/2014My wife & I decided to dine at SOB before the Grizzlies vs. Thunder game this past Saturday. The game started at 8:30pm & our reservation was at 7pm. We thought this would be more than enough time to dine & make it to the games in time. We arrived at 7pm & ordered a few drinks an appetizer & our entree. At 8pm, the food still had not arrived & we were told it would be a few minutes longer. We had to make a decision to leave without eating our entrees because of the limited amount of time we had to eat & make it to the game before tip-off. While I was disappointed, I understood. It was incredibly busy when we arrived & they were doing their best. Our appetizer was delicious & we look forward to dining there when they are not so busy.Special Features:
- Quiet not crowdedSunFunDined on 4/23/2014I went in the middle of the week. I made a res, but you don't need one. Food was good and the portion was easy to consume, not too much food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but GREAT restaurantSamandLoriDined on 4/22/2014While visiting Memphis we were interested in finding a restaurant that offered great food and service with a touch of local influences. Staying away from chain restaurants was a must and SOB was just that mix; small, intimate with EXCELLENT service, food was flavorful and presentation was good. We had an issue on how our steak was cooked but this was resolved very quickly by the waitress and manager to our satisfaction resulting in a very good rating for food. If you are looking for a great restaurant atmosphere with excellent staff and good food then SOB is your place.Special Features: