2805 Abbot Kinney
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southendla.com/
- Phone: 4242284736x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Wine Bar, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Frank Fermin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Mario 3109778174x
A word from South End
A new vibrant pizza-wine bar in Venice!Mozza chef Frank Fermin and sommelier Mario vollera(antica pizzeria,Piccolo,Barbershop) are proudContinued
to invite you to try the rustics pies and a nice glass of wine.
to invite you to try the rustics pies and a nice glass of wine.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
South End - Best Restaurants in Venice ›
South End reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
notable wine list (22)neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (14)hot spot (10)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (6)late-night find (5)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)Show More
- Awesome PizzaOfmascheroniVIPDined on 9/4/2014Really enjoyed the beer, but we perused the excellent wine list. Pizza was creative and delicious. We will be back!Special Features:
- What a find!!!ZmanVIPDined on 9/4/2014Wonderful neighborhood place. The 32 Via dei birrai and Ghostown Rustic Pie with Organic heirloom cherry tomatoes, Fresh mozzarella, fontina, garlic, thyme was AMAZING!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMY PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014Set in a strip mall, South End has a cozy, edgy low-light atmosphere with friendly owners and servers. Communal tables and a friendly bar provide seating. The wine list is fairly extensive for a pizza joint. Fresh salads, killer and creative pizza, and sophisticated desserts do not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Head AcheBanksVIPDined on 6/29/2014Place is tiny which i sure made he noise level unbelievable, the seating area is family style which is normally fine but you are packed in like sardines and still we couldn't hear each other, the food was average at best, nothing special or new, Wine was way over priced on the bottle and glass.
- Good meal but still a ways to go.PmounceDined on 6/21/2014Stopped by Saturday night after checking out the yelp reviews. The place was very empty when we got there, but picked up quite a bit over the course of our meal. Overall the food was pretty good, not Mozza level pizza, but tasty nonetheless. The service was pretty hit or miss, with one waitress / bartender so self-absorbed as to be almost funny. Also, could use some sound deadening material on the walls. The place is crazy loud when crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny space - great food & wineIslandgirl2178Dined on 6/20/2014We headed here because it was close to where we were staying and the reviews were good. Tiny place but it was busy. We were greeted at the door and immediately made to feel at home. Sat at the table in the middle of the room but it was so dark I could not read the menu and had to ask for a torch (!). Bustling, busy, tight squeeze but clearly a popular place to be. Probably would have paid to go earlier than 8pm if we'd wanted a quieter place to eat. Food and service were excellent and wine list extensive as expected. South End packs a big punch for such a tiny place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2014This was our second time here and I think it was even better that the 1st. Great pizza and the Caesar is awesome can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good things come in small packagesArwenDined on 6/7/2014This was a truly fun and unique restaurant. The host, Carlos, made the experience very special, recommending delicious wines, and offering us tastes that pleased our palate as we told him about our tastes. I tasted a few wines new to me, and they were memorable. The food was great too; very fresh pizzas with sourdough crust....and lucious, unique desserts. The tiny size of the restaurant made for a very intimate, special experience; as if you were with a group of friends in someone's home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza!AmirVIPDined on 6/4/2014Love the pizza here, good service, and cool ambience!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/27/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Southend! The burrata salad was one of the better I have had in LA and the Windward pizza was pretty delicious. They also have a great wine list along with generous wine pours. The place gets pretty busy so I would definitely make a reservation. We will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Yummy but uncomfortableAngusmcgVIPDined on 5/25/2014South End is at the very south end of Abbott Kinney (at Washington) and features a rustic, Italian menu of pizza and salads. The seating is a little problematic (my husband actually fell of of his tiny, wobbly stool and no seating in the place has back support -- it's all benches and stools). Other than that, this is a great spot of a nice glass of red wine and some thin-crust pizza. Their salads and the cheese plate were also outstanding.Special Features:
- A find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/21/2014Woderful food. Very small with limited seating. Tables not that comfortableSpecial Features:
- The following 42 reviews are from the South End reviews archive.
- Great food and great service!AmirVIPDined on 5/3/2014I loved the food, pizzas were great and cheese palter was good. Great friendly service!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/1/2014Excellent quality food. Very fresh with terrific flavors. There are many places that make pizza, but few if any that make it like it is made at South End. The salads were excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is how you ruin great pizza.PizzaEaterDined on 4/22/2014South End was by far the most bizarre dining experience I've ever had. I have no plans to return. The room was insanely loud– couldn't hear what my friend 2 seats away was saying. Our waiter recorded our order on an iPhone, which took so long I must assume it was his first time using one. The only plates they gave us for our 5 pizzas were tiny 4"x4" bread plates. Service was lousy- that's what happens when you only have one server in the entire restaurant (who also busses). Pizza was fine- though all the toppings are found in a pile at the center of the pie. Everyone in our group was put off that they serve beers in small white wine glasses. It felt like we were in a restaurant run by people who had never been in a restaurant before.
- Cozy yet accommodatingCulverCityCJDined on 3/28/2014Despite arriving an hour early, the owner and staff was very accommodating. They seated us temporarily and then after an hour, moved us to our desired location. Quick service. Cozy place. Good eats.Special Features:
- Great wood fired pizza--funDenver55VIPDined on 3/24/2014Great wood fired pizza--fun convenient happy hour with friendly service.Special Features:
- small, busy, great wine, great foodCommanderBRCDined on 3/14/2014I'd rather more private tables, but the whole (loud) experience was a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected NY E Vill spot in mallAdubVIPDined on 3/8/2014That says it all. Great pizza and charcuterie in a tiny little store front in a random strip mall in Venice (and not swanky Venice either). Do not bring your carb/gluten free/stuffy friends. This is a tight fitting, fun, special little spot that takes me back to the East Village (in a good way) every time I am there. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is really good especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/7/2014The food is really good especially the pizzas. The crust on them is fantastic. The service was great and like the little wine tasting at the beginning allowing you to choose a new wine that you might not have heard of before. The only drawback is the place is small and the seating at the bar area (which is where we sat even with a reservation and basically there is very limited places to sit.) was very uncomfortable and basically after a while we needed to leave because we couldn't sit for a long time on those chairs (and other people were crammed against us). Which is a pity since the food is great and good wine but probably better to take it to go than eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Italian food, wine & serviceErickBDined on 2/9/2014Loved the host...Manlio from Sicily. Get him talking about wine, it's his passion!Special Features:
- PizzaCindyDined on 2/6/2014The tomato sauce on the pizza was so fresh tasting - no canned sauce here. Communal tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations seem pointlessClaiborneDined on 2/6/2014This was the second time I ate at South End. The first time I had no reservations and sat up against the wall. But the food was amazing so I was ok with it. The second time I made a reservation but was sat at the bar even though the restaurant was not full. I was very put off by that since tables remained empty the whole time I was there. Food was great and wait staff was nice but being sat at the bar with reservations was annoying and unnecessarily uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love South End!dankneeceDined on 1/28/2014The chef at the South End was previously ran the kitchen at Pizzeria Mozza and it shows. The food is great and the pizza is amazing. Great wine selection and nicely done interior as well. Staff is wonderfully friendly and attentive. A great experience.Special Features:
- Love Those Pizzas and Wine!DrRichVIPDined on 1/28/2014Who would have thought this great place would show up in a mini mall near my home! It's a wonderful cozy place to get a glass of wine, or beer, with a nice salad and artisanal pizza. The folks who own and run it couldn't be nicer and more inviting. Go!Special Features:
- loved itkateDined on 1/25/2014Really enjoyed the wine and pizza. It has a comfortable, laid back, cozy vibe. The 2 gentleman owners are very knowledgeable and charming. Dined there multiple times, and prefer to be waited on by the owners. Our server was lacking a bit, until the owner came over and gave us a thorough wine description and tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but noisysssssssssDined on 1/25/2014Ambience: this place is in a storefront in a little strip mall. Despite its exterior, the interior is very chic and parking is a breeze. The noise: It is really, really loud! The service: extremely uneven. It started out absolutely fantastic, our waiter was very nice and really helpful in choosing a wine to go with our particular order. However after our meal we were given a choice of coffee, tea, and a few desserts. We ordered coffee and dessert. Then we were told there was "no coffee", so we ordered tea and dessert. We were then told there was "no tea". Then, our dessert wasn't available either! Our waitress then disappeared for 1/2 an hour or so, then reappeared to offer us a glass of wine (!). I think she forgot we were there!Special Features:
- great valuedizzy24Dined on 1/24/2014the food was delicious and the prices were very reasonable. this will definitely become a 'go-to' local spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/17/2014If you want an authentic Italian pie, this is the place. From the owner's accent, to the freshly made dough everything in this restaurant is as it would be in an Italian family kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meet the ownerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/13/2014Side street is a small community table wine and Napoli Pizza restaurant. Chances are the owner will greet you, serve you and cash you out. If not, his Sicilian born server with a solid knowledge of the wine list will pick up the slack. Nice neighbor restaurant with friendly service and a sincere effort to insure you have a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovin' the South End!DrRichVIPDined on 1/11/2014What a great comfy room in my neighborhood for tasting some nice wines and have great food. You will feel the love. The wine selection is terrific and I adored the small tasty pizzas...shouldn't say small as i took half home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What???OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/10/2014We really liked this place, however, it was SO LOUD that it was almost unbearable. It's also extremely small so navigating to your seat can be somewhat challenging. I love a bustling loud restaurant, but this is on a different level. They should really consider adding insulation to absorb some of the sound. Other than that, the salads and pizza were very good - the Kinney was by far the best pizza pie. I hate to say it, but I don't know if I would go back because of the noise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't tell anybodyLisaDined on 1/4/2014This place is a super delicious secret. The only reason I'm telling you about it is because I want them to do well and be around for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funky space and location withOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 12/31/2013Funky space and location with young and very knowledgable wait staff. The pizza crust was clearly homemade and the pizzas (one with spinach and one with bacon and homemade sausage) were out of this world. And the olive oil on the salad -- YUM!! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- super thin pizza!ljeanneDined on 12/30/2013This is a tiny place with strong hospitality and possibly the thinnest crust pizza available in Los Angeles. It is low lit, and could be considered a good, casual date spot.Special Features:
- Awesome Pizza & Wine BarSchwenganVIPDined on 12/30/2013Mario is back and the quality of life in Venice and the Marina just got better. We tried South End on a Monday night and could not have been more impressed. The food was fresh and really tasty. Great unexpected flavors like smoked salmon and caramelized leeks on a squid ink flat bread. House made cheeses on the pizza pies pies and freshest tasting crushed tomatoes. Then came Mario with multiple bottles of wine to taste before selecting just the right pairing for each course. Try the Nutella banana and goat cheese calzone for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BBE reviewAmanthaVIPDined on 12/27/2013I came here with my boyfriend and his friend to use my voucher for a free tarte. The onion and brie tarte was great for a light appetizer to share with its dark squid ink died crust. The 1905 was yummy, but the vanguard was absolutely scrumptious. Can't washout to come back and try their charcuterie. They allow you to order half meat and half cheese although its not on the menu. Our server Rachel was friendly, making it a point to address us by our names and the owner stopped by our table as well. I was disappointed only when he said to make sure to mention this place to our friends...the food and service speaks for itself and will get recommendations when deserved (and South End has earned it).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The wine list is wonderfully uniquesophiesworldDined on 12/24/2013South End has amazing pizza and an extensive wine list. Sure, a lot of restaurants have long wine lists, but this list is filled with unique wines - mainly from France and Italy. Mario is incredibly knowledgeable and will help you find a wine that is perfect for your palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uncomfortably CrampedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/19/2013The pizzas are good - not drive across town to try them great, but good enough if you're in the neighborhood. The problem is it's really hard to be comfortable in that small space. We were too cramped to comfortably cut our pizza, pass plates or pour wine without elbowing the party next to us.
- Neighborhood GemlaurenDined on 12/14/2013I love this restaurant. It is a small restaurant, off the beaten path of the overly trendy Abbot Kinney. I love that every time I eat here the owners are running around the restaurant, seating people and taking orders. Everyone is seated at family style benches and tables - and I recommend make a reservation if you are going at peak hours because if not there won't be room for you. Also, check out their breakfasts!Special Features: