2805 Abbot Kinney
Venice, CA 90291Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southendla.com/
- Phone: 4242284736x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Wine Bar, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Frank Fermin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Mario 3109778174x
A word from South End
A new vibrant pizza-wine bar in Venice!Mozza chef Frank Fermin and sommelier Mario vollera(antica pizzeria,Piccolo,Barbershop) are proudContinued
to invite you to try the rustics pies and a nice glass of wine.
to invite you to try the rustics pies and a nice glass of wine.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
South End - Best Restaurants in Venice ›
South End reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
notable wine list (22)neighborhood gem (19)fit for foodies (15)hot spot (10)romantic (7)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (5)special occasion (4)good for groups (2)Show More
- Small but mighty!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This tiny little pizza place is a mix of classic italian cuisine with restoration hardware ambiance. Good for small groups who enjoy good pizza and good wine. Highly reccomened.Special Features:
- Top level pizza on Abbot KinneyMagiaDined on 10/16/2014Fantastic pizza dough from "lievito madre"! unic ingredient for topping! Must try.Special Features:
- Pizza in the darkOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/11/2014Quirky pizza place in a little strip mall using great ingredients. It would have been better if there was enough light to be able see what we were eating but the pizza was first rate and the knowledgeable and friendly staff I felt like I was transported to a like back street in Florence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easy to miss until you find it.secscdjcDined on 10/7/2014The food was good and fresh. The service was prompt and friendly. The chef sent me a cheese board just because he liked my shirt. #truecooks. The only negative was the address is Abbot Kinney but it's really on Washington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible food. Terrible service.OliviaDined on 10/4/2014We went to this local find only because of the reviews on opentable. We just got back from Italy- the pizza here was TERRIBLE. There were people smoking outside and the smoke was traveling inside- making dinner unenjoyable. The music was lound and the waitress could not hear anything we said.Special Features:
- Too loud to hear people speakOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/16/2014Great food! Kind and engaging staff. The acoustics are so bad in this small place that you can't carry a conversation without yelling. What was very disappointing to me this time around was after we checked in, had a great meal I came home to an email 3 hours after our visit that South End had cancelled our reservation. Which meant we did not receive our Open Table points. Extremely unhappy with this. When I called the restaurant (the day after since they were closed when I had received the email) they stated they couldn't see my reservation from the night before, but that they would look into it and call me back within 30 minutes. I'm still waiting for their call.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome PizzaOfmascheroniVIPDined on 9/4/2014Really enjoyed the beer, but we perused the excellent wine list. Pizza was creative and delicious. We will be back!Special Features:
- What a find!!!ZmanVIPDined on 9/4/2014Wonderful neighborhood place. The 32 Via dei birrai and Ghostown Rustic Pie with Organic heirloom cherry tomatoes, Fresh mozzarella, fontina, garlic, thyme was AMAZING!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUMMY PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014Set in a strip mall, South End has a cozy, edgy low-light atmosphere with friendly owners and servers. Communal tables and a friendly bar provide seating. The wine list is fairly extensive for a pizza joint. Fresh salads, killer and creative pizza, and sophisticated desserts do not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerLaurenWDined on 7/31/2014We had our aunts bday dinner here. It was recommended by a friend. The pizzas were all delicious and the server let us sample the wines before we bought a bottle. I will be coming back here and bringing the rest of my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Head AcheBanksVIPDined on 6/29/2014Place is tiny which i sure made he noise level unbelievable, the seating area is family style which is normally fine but you are packed in like sardines and still we couldn't hear each other, the food was average at best, nothing special or new, Wine was way over priced on the bottle and glass.
- The following 50 reviews are from the South End reviews archive.
- Good meal but still a ways to go.PmounceDined on 6/21/2014Stopped by Saturday night after checking out the yelp reviews. The place was very empty when we got there, but picked up quite a bit over the course of our meal. Overall the food was pretty good, not Mozza level pizza, but tasty nonetheless. The service was pretty hit or miss, with one waitress / bartender so self-absorbed as to be almost funny. Also, could use some sound deadening material on the walls. The place is crazy loud when crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny space - great food & wineIslandgirl2178Dined on 6/20/2014We headed here because it was close to where we were staying and the reviews were good. Tiny place but it was busy. We were greeted at the door and immediately made to feel at home. Sat at the table in the middle of the room but it was so dark I could not read the menu and had to ask for a torch (!). Bustling, busy, tight squeeze but clearly a popular place to be. Probably would have paid to go earlier than 8pm if we'd wanted a quieter place to eat. Food and service were excellent and wine list extensive as expected. South End packs a big punch for such a tiny place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/15/2014This was our second time here and I think it was even better that the 1st. Great pizza and the Caesar is awesome can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good things come in small packagesArwenDined on 6/7/2014This was a truly fun and unique restaurant. The host, Carlos, made the experience very special, recommending delicious wines, and offering us tastes that pleased our palate as we told him about our tastes. I tasted a few wines new to me, and they were memorable. The food was great too; very fresh pizzas with sourdough crust....and lucious, unique desserts. The tiny size of the restaurant made for a very intimate, special experience; as if you were with a group of friends in someone's home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best pizza!AmirVIPDined on 6/4/2014Love the pizza here, good service, and cool ambience!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/27/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Southend! The burrata salad was one of the better I have had in LA and the Windward pizza was pretty delicious. They also have a great wine list along with generous wine pours. The place gets pretty busy so I would definitely make a reservation. We will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Yummy but uncomfortableAngusmcgVIPDined on 5/25/2014South End is at the very south end of Abbott Kinney (at Washington) and features a rustic, Italian menu of pizza and salads. The seating is a little problematic (my husband actually fell of of his tiny, wobbly stool and no seating in the place has back support -- it's all benches and stools). Other than that, this is a great spot of a nice glass of red wine and some thin-crust pizza. Their salads and the cheese plate were also outstanding.Special Features:
- A find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/21/2014Woderful food. Very small with limited seating. Tables not that comfortableSpecial Features:
- Great food and great service!AmirVIPDined on 5/3/2014I loved the food, pizzas were great and cheese palter was good. Great friendly service!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/1/2014Excellent quality food. Very fresh with terrific flavors. There are many places that make pizza, but few if any that make it like it is made at South End. The salads were excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is how you ruin great pizza.PizzaEaterDined on 4/22/2014South End was by far the most bizarre dining experience I've ever had. I have no plans to return. The room was insanely loud– couldn't hear what my friend 2 seats away was saying. Our waiter recorded our order on an iPhone, which took so long I must assume it was his first time using one. The only plates they gave us for our 5 pizzas were tiny 4"x4" bread plates. Service was lousy- that's what happens when you only have one server in the entire restaurant (who also busses). Pizza was fine- though all the toppings are found in a pile at the center of the pie. Everyone in our group was put off that they serve beers in small white wine glasses. It felt like we were in a restaurant run by people who had never been in a restaurant before.
- Cozy yet accommodatingCulverCityCJDined on 3/28/2014Despite arriving an hour early, the owner and staff was very accommodating. They seated us temporarily and then after an hour, moved us to our desired location. Quick service. Cozy place. Good eats.Special Features:
- Great wood fired pizza--funDenver55VIPDined on 3/24/2014Great wood fired pizza--fun convenient happy hour with friendly service.Special Features:
- small, busy, great wine, great foodCommanderBRCDined on 3/14/2014I'd rather more private tables, but the whole (loud) experience was a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected NY E Vill spot in mallAdubVIPDined on 3/8/2014That says it all. Great pizza and charcuterie in a tiny little store front in a random strip mall in Venice (and not swanky Venice either). Do not bring your carb/gluten free/stuffy friends. This is a tight fitting, fun, special little spot that takes me back to the East Village (in a good way) every time I am there. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is really good especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/7/2014The food is really good especially the pizzas. The crust on them is fantastic. The service was great and like the little wine tasting at the beginning allowing you to choose a new wine that you might not have heard of before. The only drawback is the place is small and the seating at the bar area (which is where we sat even with a reservation and basically there is very limited places to sit.) was very uncomfortable and basically after a while we needed to leave because we couldn't sit for a long time on those chairs (and other people were crammed against us). Which is a pity since the food is great and good wine but probably better to take it to go than eat there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real Italian food, wine & serviceErickBDined on 2/9/2014Loved the host...Manlio from Sicily. Get him talking about wine, it's his passion!Special Features:
- PizzaCindyDined on 2/6/2014The tomato sauce on the pizza was so fresh tasting - no canned sauce here. Communal tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations seem pointlessClaiborneDined on 2/6/2014This was the second time I ate at South End. The first time I had no reservations and sat up against the wall. But the food was amazing so I was ok with it. The second time I made a reservation but was sat at the bar even though the restaurant was not full. I was very put off by that since tables remained empty the whole time I was there. Food was great and wait staff was nice but being sat at the bar with reservations was annoying and unnecessarily uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love South End!dankneeceDined on 1/28/2014The chef at the South End was previously ran the kitchen at Pizzeria Mozza and it shows. The food is great and the pizza is amazing. Great wine selection and nicely done interior as well. Staff is wonderfully friendly and attentive. A great experience.Special Features:
- Love Those Pizzas and Wine!DrRichVIPDined on 1/28/2014Who would have thought this great place would show up in a mini mall near my home! It's a wonderful cozy place to get a glass of wine, or beer, with a nice salad and artisanal pizza. The folks who own and run it couldn't be nicer and more inviting. Go!Special Features:
- loved itkateDined on 1/25/2014Really enjoyed the wine and pizza. It has a comfortable, laid back, cozy vibe. The 2 gentleman owners are very knowledgeable and charming. Dined there multiple times, and prefer to be waited on by the owners. Our server was lacking a bit, until the owner came over and gave us a thorough wine description and tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but noisysssssssssDined on 1/25/2014Ambience: this place is in a storefront in a little strip mall. Despite its exterior, the interior is very chic and parking is a breeze. The noise: It is really, really loud! The service: extremely uneven. It started out absolutely fantastic, our waiter was very nice and really helpful in choosing a wine to go with our particular order. However after our meal we were given a choice of coffee, tea, and a few desserts. We ordered coffee and dessert. Then we were told there was "no coffee", so we ordered tea and dessert. We were then told there was "no tea". Then, our dessert wasn't available either! Our waitress then disappeared for 1/2 an hour or so, then reappeared to offer us a glass of wine (!). I think she forgot we were there!Special Features:
- great valuedizzy24Dined on 1/24/2014the food was delicious and the prices were very reasonable. this will definitely become a 'go-to' local spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/17/2014If you want an authentic Italian pie, this is the place. From the owner's accent, to the freshly made dough everything in this restaurant is as it would be in an Italian family kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meet the ownerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/13/2014Side street is a small community table wine and Napoli Pizza restaurant. Chances are the owner will greet you, serve you and cash you out. If not, his Sicilian born server with a solid knowledge of the wine list will pick up the slack. Nice neighbor restaurant with friendly service and a sincere effort to insure you have a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovin' the South End!DrRichVIPDined on 1/11/2014What a great comfy room in my neighborhood for tasting some nice wines and have great food. You will feel the love. The wine selection is terrific and I adored the small tasty pizzas...shouldn't say small as i took half home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What???OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/10/2014We really liked this place, however, it was SO LOUD that it was almost unbearable. It's also extremely small so navigating to your seat can be somewhat challenging. I love a bustling loud restaurant, but this is on a different level. They should really consider adding insulation to absorb some of the sound. Other than that, the salads and pizza were very good - the Kinney was by far the best pizza pie. I hate to say it, but I don't know if I would go back because of the noise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't tell anybodyLisaDined on 1/4/2014This place is a super delicious secret. The only reason I'm telling you about it is because I want them to do well and be around for a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.