South End Buttery
314 Shawmut Avenue
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
South End Buttery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southendbuttery.com/
- Phone: (617) 482-0711
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrea Nordby, Culinary Director
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater home and office events 7 days of the week. Check out our web site for our corporate catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call to discuss large party reservations. We are a small restaurant, but we will do our best to accommodate your needs!
- Private Party Contact: Richard Gordon 617-549-2776x
- Special Events: Our cafe can accommodate up to 22 guests for a semi-private sit-down dinner or cocktail party. Because we are a small restaurant, we require a fixed rate per guest to offer your party our dining space for an entire evening. Rates depend on the day of the week booked and start at $125 per guest for weeknights and $150 per guest for Friday and Saturday nights. We offer a full bar and customized menus for special events based on our seasonal offerings. Please call for details.
A word from South End Buttery
South End Buttery is a neighborhood eat-in and take-away bakery/cafe by day and full bar/restaurant by night. The Buttery's award-winning food has a reputation for combining simple and few ingredients to create exceptional everyday food at everyday prices. The Buttery takes casual fine dining to new heights, with classic comfort food as well as dishes for the health and calorie conscious that pair beautifully with the affordable wine and beer selections. You'll feel like you're dining in your own home – but you won’t have to do the dishes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
South End Buttery - Best Restaurants in South End ›
South End Buttery reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (85)great for brunch (72)fit for foodies (48)romantic (38)great for lunch (19)special occasion (15)good for groups (14)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (5)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- JaneDined on 11/15/2014My second time at South End Buttery for brunch - as always, the food was wonderful. Highly recommend their brunch menu (DO make reservations)! The service was also great - our server was very friendly and attentive (kept the coffee refills coming!). The atmosphere is also nice - not too casual but also not too fancy, great for a nice outing with friends or families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014For dinner, the service was prompt and friendly. the food and drink was very good so we were very satisfied. I would be happy to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute place with so-so food.tastebudsVIPDined on 11/11/2014Very cute place. Inexpensive for a real dinner. Service was good. But food is mediocre. So is the wine.
- Cramped, noisy, OK foodUmamiQuestVIPDined on 11/9/2014We went for Sunday-brunch. The downstairs dining room was tiny and ridiculously cramped, with too many tables for the small space. The noise level was off the charts -- it was not at all the relaxing Sunday-brunch atmosphere we were hoping for. That said, the food was good; for the very traditional breakfast food that it was. The scones were the highlight.
- Fantastic service and delicious foodCTdinesDined on 11/8/2014This was my first time at the South End Buttery-- and I was slightly hesitant since I was taking guests visiting from out of the country to this spot. The reviews were good and the photos looked nice, so I took a chance and I couldn't have been more pleased. The staff were waiting and aware that we were coming. I added a note that we wanted a spot that wouldn't distract others since we had two kids with us. They put us in a beautiful location and the service was AMAZING. I can't express how much I appreciated their patience with language translations, with the kids being indecisive and just the overall pace of our brunch. They kept our water and coffee filled and checked in just the right amount. It was a pleasant and delicious brunch and it was QUITE the entry to walk into the space filled with the aroma of fresh baked pastries. It made an impression on all of us. And to follow that with fresh breads and biscuits on our brunch entrees made the experience fantastic. Our guests were thrilled to experience such a nice brunch and even commented that it was a nicer experience than they have had in the states thus far! So I felt very pleased and thankful to the staff, chef and overall management to have provided a fantastic experience. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLhookDined on 11/8/2014I had the herb omelette, my friends had the banana pancakes. Everything was delicious. Nothing super creative on the menu. Attentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duff77Duff77Dined on 10/26/2014We were able to be seated early for brunch even on a very busy Sunday. Server was new but attentive. She wasn't totlaly familiar with the menu but accomodated us by getting answers to questions. Table was in a bit of an odd space downstairs...little heavy on the traffic side but the food was quick and outstanding. Salmon and eggs as well as the pastry basket were a must.Special Features:
- MelissaDined on 10/19/2014Loved the neighborhood feel and the food was quite good and presented very well. Our dishes were fresh looking and the bread basket with assorted muffins was incrediable. The service was fast..... and there in lies my only small issue. We felt hurried. Yes.. I get what Sunday Brunch is all about... lots of diners and regulars. We were from out of town and wanted somewhat of a leisurely brunch spot to catch up with our BU student and this was her fav. spot. Beautiful location and the walk down Dartmouth Street from T stop at Copley was just lovely !! I do recommend this restaurant, but just be prepared to take your after meal chit chat somewhere else.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Service was really good - efficient, attentive. The food was really tasty. Would definitely return & recommend.Special Features:
- DE-LISH!PHallDined on 10/19/2014loved the charming neighborhood and the food was wonderful.Special Features:
- A nice neighborhood dinnerDREWVIPDined on 10/18/2014Went for a birthday with six people (family) and was seated quickly for our 8:30 reservation even though it was only 8:00. The entire meal was excellent although the wine list is fairly limited. The mussels in a red sauce was fantastic as was the cheddar dip. The black bean burger wasn't loved but my regular burger was. The only negative I can give the restaurant is the service was slow. Our waiter appeared frustrated with the bartender who was chatting and chatting while he was trying to get drinks to the table. This is what kept my rating from being a 5-star. Great ambiance and a quiet location, especially for dates.Special Features:
- Terrific food and a lot of noiseRichard16Dined on 10/18/2014I visited on a recent Saturday night with friends and was not disappointed with the food. Perfectly cooked and presented salmon. The kale salad was quite wonderful as was the flourless chocolate cake for dessert. My martini was concocted and iced perfectly. However, the noise level downstairs (where we sat) was quite annoying since we really had to raise our voices to hear each other. Fortunately this wasn't a romantic evening -- just friends having some fun. Despite the racket, I'd go here again and recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- solid & safeBroadwayDSRDined on 10/7/2014Most of us in the party of six drank wine and ordered comfort food (meatloaf, parmigiana). It was all fine and good. Waiter seemed new. I was with great friends so it was a great time but the food and service was just good. Nice neighborhood place, nonetheless.Special Features:
- jackVIPDined on 10/7/2014quiet night but perfect for a business meeting, though tables tend to be too close in the lower level.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/5/2014Bread basket was the highlight of the meal! Also the eggs benny was on a biscuit - that was delish as well. The dining room was loud.Special Features:
- Great for couples, small groupsDaveDined on 10/4/2014This cozy South End bakery-by-day / restaurant-by-night has a warm and inviting bar and dining area in the rear and a slightly larger dining room downstairs. Yes, the dining room is in the basement but windows and warm colors, furnishings and lighting make it feel cozy and intimate not cellar-like. The service was friendly, attentive and speedy. The food was even better. Recommend: Kale salad, Meatloaf (!!) and Chicken Parm. Chocolate mousse is rich, delicious and quite shareable. Get a table in the bar or downstairs dining area (not the front bakery cafe) to be with the dinner crowd and not feel like you're eating in a pastry shop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a great experienceFenwaytravelerVIPDined on 10/4/2014This place definitely defined urban rustic barnhouse dining. We came for brunch and absolutely loved the pastry and bread bar. My breakfast was too heavy for my liking but my gf and her mom's dish were quite good. The service was stupendous! I would definitely go here again...probably for dinner as the menu looks great.Special Features:
- We had another great meal hereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/3/2014This is such consistently good experience. The food and service were both great.Special Features:
- Great food!TriniBosDined on 9/27/2014This was my second time coming here. The food is delicious but a bit on the pricy side so its not someplace I can come to regularly. But I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- get the home friesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014I've been here twice and the food is incredible, particularly the home fries which are tasty little fried potato clouds that melt in your mouth. My only complaint is that the hostess would not seat us until the 5th member of our party arrived, despite there being no wait, and the restaurant was only half full. There was no reason to have us wait around upstairs for 20 mins while we could have been ordering our Bloody Mary and coffees. I'd still go back though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Buttery--go beyond the bakery!smcraig7VIPDined on 9/23/2014I always like coming to the Buttery. The downstairs seating is such a neighborhood gem. Plenty of options for vegetarians. Drinks are great--the Old Fashioned missed, but they're usually right on. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch2FoodiesDined on 9/21/2014My husband & I recently went to South End Buttery's Brunch on Sunday. We started with the Buttery Bakery Basket which included a delicious assortment of scones, muffins and banana bread. All were baked to perfection. Then for our main course I had the eggs benedict with ham & cheddar and my husband had the Huevos Rancheros. Both were outstanding. We have never had a better brunch anywhere in our travels, except perhaps on St. Barths. We will definitely be back and next time will opt for dinner.Special Features:
- Good food, troubling serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/20/2014Waiter could not have been more pained with each interaction...food was good. Tables downstairs are quite close together and if the person at the next table is loud...Special Features:
- Great dinnerDiaperwiperDined on 9/18/2014Good was fantastic, service was perfect! Staff was very attentive . We all (four of us) had different meals and everyone loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AweseomOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We loved the food all day at the South End Buttery - breakfast is nice and dinner was fantastic. We had cocktails, I ate a burger and my girlfriend had a chicken pasta dish (can't remember the name), all of which were great and really well put-together. The dessert was spectacular - affogato and sea salt chocolate chip cookies. The service also attentive but relaxed. Overall really great diningSpecial Features:
- Overall pretty solidRobinDined on 9/14/2014Service somewhat slow; very noisy; food was delicious. Best brunch in the south end on taste alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014When we saw the entrance we thought we had booked to eat dinner in a bakery, but we were pleased to be shown to a lovely table downstairs. Exposed brick walls, small alcoves, soft seating and candle light give this place a lovely atmosphere. All the food was delicious, fresh and well presented. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, even second time aroundAnonymousDined on 9/13/2014Brunch french toast delicious, probably one of my favorites that I've had so far. My boyfriend had the salmon and scrambled eggs. The quality of the food was very fresh. However, we must have been so hungry that we both left with just a little more space in our tummies compared to other brunch places. I would definitely come back again but will always make reservations - this place is quite popular.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!Aimes10Dined on 9/10/2014The South End buttery is one of my favorite spots. The food is always fantastic and the service is superb.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014I loved the little grotto area downstairs. The attmosphere was lovely. We had delicious cocktails to start the meal and wonderful desserts to finish it. A lovely time was had by all.Special Features:
- Brunch was delicious!YogaenthusiastVIPDined on 8/24/2014This lively, long-time, reliable dining spot in the South End does not disappoint. Four different brunch orders were delicious. And the drinks were well prepared and great. There are many more choices available than when the South End Buttery opened, but this one continues to be a favorite.Special Features:
- Great brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed a lovely brunch with girlfriends at the South End Buttery. The food was delicious and service was friendly. In my mind, the fact that they take reservations for brunch was an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AveragedwwdwwDined on 8/12/2014Went with three friends and my particular experience was a bit disappointing. Service was quite slow -- I would say it took about 10-15 longer than normal to get our entrees. It was a Tuesday night and the restaurant was less than half full, so this was a bit unexpected. I ordered the meatloaf and I would describe it as 'meh' -- it was dry and lacking flavor. At $20 for meatloaf, one would expect something more interesting and ambitious. My friend ordered the burger, and although it was quite good, he did feel that for $19 the burger was quite small. We both understand quality vs. quantity, but $19 is a hefty price for a burger, and we have seen it done at a much more reasonable size at plenty of comparable restaurants around town.
- Best brunch!!!e1eeDined on 8/3/2014The South End Buttery never disappoints! We are always promptly seated at the time of our reservation. The service is friendly, attentive and efficient; never have to flag someone down for more coffee. We also never feel like we are being rushed to finish up. It is always a leisurely experience. The food is always impressive and absolutley delicious! It is thoughtfully prepared and beautifully presented. The menu offers unique variety; so much more than the usual run of the mill selections. This is my favorite place in the city for brunch and I always pick up some scones, cupcakes or muffins on my out the door. I also just discovered their market which has lots of great pre made foods, more bakery goods and even ice cream!Special Features:
- Poor SeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014We made a reservation and were the 3rd people to be seated in the dinning room that morning. But the hostess still put us at a bad table (the first table downstairs by the waiters station and the kitchen, even when plenty of seats int he main room were available). Apparently their approach is to spread people out to distribute them among the waiters rather then seat people in the best tables first. Maybe I should have spoke up, and asked for a better table, but I hate feeling like I'm being picky (easier and less confrontational to do it here). They should know better and put customers first, not think about seating as it affects waiters tips...since sitting someone at a sub par table will affect their tip anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kagoDined on 8/1/2014My mom and I went here for dinner. We had great food, great wine, and our server was friendly and professional. My favorite part about this restaurant is that the use healthy, organic ingredients to make GREAT food, and the ambience cannot be beat if you want something cozy with great ambience (but not overly romantic).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!rbesqDined on 7/29/2014It's got great food, a vibrant, but not too loud atmosphere, attentive, friendly service, and a very comfortable feel - and it's all reasonably priced. Perfect spot for a great dinner with friends.Special Features:
- The following 1020 reviews are from the South End Buttery reviews archive.
- Coffee and moreMusicman108Dined on 7/20/2014We went for Sunday brunch, which was delightful. The Buttery seems like it was a boutique neighborhood coffee shop that expanded to food and ultimately a back room with a full bar. Great selection of pastries and brunch items. My wife had the quinoa and bean burger, which really was delicious. Long line for coffee (if not getting table service) as it is a go-to neighborhood place. Young and hip. Make a reservation for brunch, not many tables. Service was very friendly, but a bit scattered.Special Features:
- Best BrunchbrunchbirdDined on 7/19/2014This is one of the best places in Boston for brunch that I have found. Not only does its restaurant offer a huge selection of brunch items, all of which are delicious, but its cafe upstairs is wonderful and also has a huge selection of pastries and yummy drinks. Located in the South End, this is a prime spot for a beautiful, delicious brunch in boston.Special Features:
- Decent food; very noisylikes2eatoutDined on 7/12/2014The first time I was here we had the Buttery Basket and the salmon and eggs. The Buttery Basket was AMAZING. The salmon and eggs were high quality and simply prepared. The second time I ordered the spring herb omelette, which is supposed to come with a choice of cheese. I chose goat cheese, but my omelette was served without any. It was very plain, but the ingredients tasted of high quality. It was EXTREMELY noisy and it was hard to hear the person seated adjacent to me.Special Features: