South End Buttery
314 Shawmut Avenue
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
South End Buttery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southendbuttery.com/
- Phone: (617) 482-0711
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Andrea Nordby, Culinary Director
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater home and office events 7 days of the week. Check out our web site for our corporate catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call to discuss large party reservations. We are a small restaurant, but we will do our best to accommodate your needs!
- Private Party Contact: Richard Gordon 617-549-2776x
- Special Events: Our cafe can accommodate up to 22 guests for a semi-private sit-down dinner or cocktail party. Because we are a small restaurant, we require a fixed rate per guest to offer your party our dining space for an entire evening. Rates depend on the day of the week booked and start at $125 per guest for weeknights and $150 per guest for Friday and Saturday nights. We offer a full bar and customized menus for special events based on our seasonal offerings. Please call for details.
A word from South End Buttery
South End Buttery is a neighborhood eat-in and take-away bakery/cafe by day and full bar/restaurant by night. The Buttery's award-winning food has a reputation for combining simple and few ingredients to create exceptional everyday food at everyday prices. The Buttery takes casual fine dining to new heights, with classic comfort food as well as dishes for the health and calorie conscious that pair beautifully with the affordable wine and beer selections. You'll feel like you're dining in your own home – but you won’t have to do the dishes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
South End Buttery - Best Restaurants in South End ›
South End Buttery reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (88)great for brunch (72)fit for foodies (47)romantic (39)great for lunch (19)special occasion (14)good for groups (14)hot spot (12)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- I took my family here forOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/4/2009I took my family here for a celebration and we had one of the best dinners in a long time. The food was excellent- we ate every bite and tried each of eachother's. The service was perfect we felt comfortable and at home at South End Buttery. We topped it off with one of each of the deserts which made the night. Thank you so much for a fantastic and memorable night!Special Features:
- Maybe I ordered the wrongfoodie4sureVIPDined on 6/2/2009Maybe I ordered the wrong thing. The chicken was tender but what promised to be an interesting combo-chicken with corn and bacon, turned out to be just, well, chicken with some corn and bacon dribbled on the top?! A few drops of a sauce decorated the plate, but there wasn't enough to affect the taste of the food at all. However, the french fries were FANTASTIC, and plentiful. I ordered them as a side dish and couldn't finish them....even though I preferred them to my main course. Ate outside on the street, which was fun and made you feel part of the neighborhood, as people strolled by all night with dogs and kids. Would try for lunch, maybe, but I'm not hurrying back.Special Features:
- The restaurant was very quaint,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/27/2009The restaurant was very quaint, great neighborhood and wonderful ambience. The food was very good, but extremely salty.Special Features:
- very pleasant change fromjpnewtonDined on 5/22/2009very pleasant change from the pretentious "in" spots ! terrific bistro menu, well executed, at VERY reasonable prices. well poured drinks, and properly priced wine list.Special Features:
- Food was excellent as wasBabs10VIPDined on 5/21/2009Food was excellent as was the service. The downstairs dining room is a little close--low ceilings and tables close together. There was a very loud patron for the first half of my meal, but when she left the noise level was ok.Special Features:
- I met some girlfriends forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/17/2009I met some girlfriends for brunch on Sunday at the Buttery and was really excited to try it. I arrived with my 6 month old daughter and felt relieved when I saw that there were lots of other babies in line with their families at the take-out counter. But, when we asked for a high chair when we were being seated, we learned that they didn't have one. I had to hold my daughter on my lap during the meal. The staff was apologetic and the food was great, but I wouldn't recommend going here with a baby, even for brunch.
- really really unexpected experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/16/2009really really unexpected experience - will go back for sureSpecial Features:
- Great little find. Well preparedmarlbethVIPDined on 5/16/2009Great little find. Well prepared food, maybe because they used a lot of butter. Friendly service, romantic.Special Features:
- Went for brunch. Was worriedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/16/2009Went for brunch. Was worried by the line out front but got seated in the downstairs dining room right away. The service really stood out--attentive and very accommodating to special requests.Special Features:
- This was my first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/16/2009This was my first time at the Buttery and I was surprised at how great it was. It may edge-out Metropolis as my new favorite brunch spot.Special Features:
- The food at the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/15/2009The food at the restaurant was good however the service was the worst I have ever experienced at a restaurant. A table was not immediately available for our reserved time (which is okay... happens sometimes) so the host brought us to the bar. Then the host forgot about us and gave the next two available tables to other patrons. I had to go an remind the host about us. They offer no bread (they should) and the waiter didn't check in with us once during our meal. We asked for water and didn't receive it until it came with the check. The worst part was that everyone else in the restaurant was complaining too that it was too cold and they wouldn't turn off AC, service was slow, pesto pasta was cold, etc.
- Not enough staff for the amountOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/15/2009Not enough staff for the amount of people in the restaurant. We were told to get a drink at the bar because there was a long wait for food in the kitchen. We didnt sit until 9:00. Our reservation was for 8:15. They really need to figure things out here. POOR SERVICE!!!
- The food was generally deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/15/2009The food was generally delicious (one of the 4 of us had a meal he didn't enjoy). We sat downstairs and it is VERY loud down there so it may not be great for groups. Service was a tad slow.Special Features:
- Our meal was great and wepouch014Dined on 5/10/2009Our meal was great and we loved the atmosphere! I will definitely go back, especially in the winter to take advantage of the fireplace!Special Features:
- I almost don't want to tellOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/10/2009I almost don't want to tell you how much I love this place, for fear that it'll get expensive and crowded.Special Features:
- Went here for Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2009Went here for Mother's Day brunch and my mom loved it! The bacon and arugula strata was delicious as was the buttery breakfast. The dining room was nicely decorated and cozy, we liked the high table and the banquet. Will definitely recommend this place!Special Features:
- Really creative menu. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2009Really creative menu. Food was wonderful and the staff were very involved in the experience.Special Features:
- I'm sure the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2009I'm sure the food and service are normally good, but since it was Mother's Day, it seemed quite busy and rushed. My eggs were overcooked, my bacon undercooked and my waffles were cold. Plus, our waitress wasn't very available. Good cupcakes to take home, though. I think we'd try it again but not on a "holiday"
- SE Buttery had a nice low-keyMeatEaterVIPDined on 5/9/2009SE Buttery had a nice low-key atmosphere and great food. The service was a bit lackluster, but since we had a somewhat large group we were understanding. The pork chop was really excellent.Special Features:
- South End Buttery is a neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2009South End Buttery is a neighborhood gem for dinner (completely separate from the breakfast and lunch operations). The food and service are excellent. The bar area is cozy and comfortable, as is the back room downstairs. The front room upstairs and the front room downstairs are somewhat less cozy and comfortable, but the food and dinner service are excellent no matter where you're seated. I highly recommend the side order of garlic parmesan fries with truffle aioli - - this menu item, alone, makes the Buttery a dinner destination if you're not fortunate enough to live in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- it was so cold and dark inOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2009it was so cold and dark in the basement and the vent was blowing right on our table. the mussels were spectacular. white wines by the glass did not offer a very good selection. too fruity or too buttery is what we found. and the service was spotty.
- so amazing! great atmosphere...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/8/2009so amazing! great atmosphere... def. worth a try... we've been back three times...Special Features:
- We were very pleasantly surprisedMjanebVIPDined on 5/8/2009We were very pleasantly surprised with the Buttery. The halibut and penne were fantastic! Good drinks and a cute bar area. We loved it.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurant. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2009Fantastic restaurant. The mussels and fries that come with it are to die for and is very filling! The pork loin was a little dry and the brussel sprouts, a little bitter but the mussels, delicious wine and great service made up for it! Can't wait to go with friends again.Special Features:
- food and service was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/4/2009food and service was very good. Like the ambience. 2 different areas- upstairs bar area is bright with windows and high tops. Downstairs is tucked away and quite different than the upstairs- exposed brick and fireplace and full length wall window. Recommended.Special Features:
- Great little neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/2/2009Great little neighborhood restaurant. We dined in new downstairs room, which is beautifully designed, fireplace, etc. However, all the hard surfaces make for a way too LOUD dining experience. Food was quite delicious, but portions are very small.Special Features:
- We we were 15 minutes lateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2009We we were 15 minutes late for our reservation due to long lines at the tolls and finding parking so we understood why they had to sit us in the bar vs. downstairs. The bar was small and noisy, as any bar is. Dinner was delicious! I recommended you get their french fries w/garlic and cheese, they were fabulous!! Our waiter and the serive were impecable!Special Features:
- I am more impressed everyChrisVIPDined on 5/1/2009I am more impressed every time I go for dinner. Had the halibut special this go around and it was outstanding. I can definitely make this a once per week stop.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood Gem, howeverOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/1/2009Great Neighborhood Gem, however the food and service had a little to be desired. My Hanger Steak was properly cooked but the accompanying red wine sauce was missing. We were told about desert options but the waiter was distracted and it was automatically assumed that we were not interested as our bill appeared on the table. Great place to have drinks and try out the wonderful french fries.Special Features:
- I recently went to the ButterywellesleyresidentDined on 4/28/2009I recently went to the Buttery with a group of friends and our food was delicious! The pear salad was amazing and it was very generous, with an entire pear on the salad. The service was great considering we were a large party. The only small criticism is that there is not much to look at from the windows downstairs but I would imagine that will change with time.Special Features:
- The food was absolutely deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/21/2009The food was absolutely delicious and wonderfully prepared and plated (crispy parmesan french fries with 3 tasty dipping sauces; out-of-this world mussels in a saffron/tomato/wine broth; superb salad with matchstick apples, slivered almonds, golden raisins, and shaved parmesan combined with mesclun and arugula; buttery cream of mushroom soup; mouth watering pan-seared sea bass with israeli cous cous, grilled asparagus, and roasted tomato puree; melt-in-your mouth braised shortribs over a sweet parnsnip puree; and rich hazelnut semifredo topped with fresh whipped cream, a drizzle of caramel, candied hazlenuts, and a buttery shortbread cookie). The service was impeccable. Top notch dining!Special Features:
- We all enjoyed our food andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/18/2009We all enjoyed our food and the service was good. The bar upstairs was small but cute. The dining room downstairs was nice. The only issue we had was the wine list. The wine was very expensive for what was offered.Special Features:
- We were seated at one of theOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/18/2009We were seated at one of the high top tables in the upstairs section. It was very crowded and uncomfortable. We basically heard every conversation around us. Crowd was a bit nobby. So was the scene.
- If you've ever wondered whatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/18/2009If you've ever wondered what a Hanger steak is, stop wondering and run to The Buttery and order one !! The outside is perfectly seared black but not burned, and the medium-rare inside was a pleasure to experience. This "not usually ordered" cut of meat is notorius for being difficult to cook well and not turn into a piece of rubber, but this plate was superb. If you prefer a quiet meal, get there early as the noise level will increase (a lot) by 7, and the place will be jumpingSpecial Features:
- It was a tasty place, butOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/16/2009It was a tasty place, but the chicken was a little on the Shake & Bake side. The fish got mixed reviews from the people in my group. The french fries are out of this world. They also make a generous drink. A little cramped for groups larger than 4 and the low ceilings in the dining area doesn't leave anywhere for the noise to go.Special Features:
- A very pleasant suprise! VeryOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/15/2009A very pleasant suprise! Very good food and service. The exposed stone foundation and fireplace added a nice touch!Special Features:
- Good food, but the serviceLovetoEatVIPDined on 4/11/2009Good food, but the service was lacking. Our waitress seemed completely disinterested and was hard to find at times. The temperature was also incredibly high.
- The Buttery Bistro was everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/10/2009The Buttery Bistro was everything I expected it to be ... and more! I took my Mom there who was visiting from out of town. My Mom has a gluten allergy and the staff and chef were completely accommodating. Plus, the food and service were fabulous. I'll definitely be going back. I would suggest The Buttery as a place to take friends, a date or your significant other for great food with elegance.Special Features:
- On a busy night the tablesOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/8/2009On a busy night the tables maybe a little too tight for comfort. On the weeknight we tried the Buttery, there was plenty of room between patrons and the experience was excellent.Special Features:
- The food was good, the wineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/6/2009The food was good, the wine (two different ones) was pretty good, and the price was reasonable. I can only recommend it.