South End Buttery
314 Shawmut Avenue
Boston, MA 02118Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
South End Buttery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southendbuttery.com/
- Phone: 6174820711
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Karen Rossi, Culinary Director
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater home and office events on weekdays. Check out our web site for our corporate catering menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call to discuss large party reservations. We are a small restaurant, but we will try to accommodate your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Richard Gordon 617-482-1015
- Special Events: Our intimate garden level dining room accommodates 35-40 guests for a private sit-down dinner. Because we are a small restaurant, we require a fixed rate per guest to offer your party our garden level dining space for an entire evening. Rates depend on the day of the week booked and start at $125 per guest for weeknights and $150 per guest for Friday and Saturday nights. Minimum rates will apply. We offer a full bar and customized menus for special events based on our seasonal offerings. We also offer space in our cafe for up to 20 guests for a sit-down dinner. Please call for details.
- Cross Street: Union Park
- Public Transit: Back Bay Orange Line -- 5 minute walk
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Private parking lots are also available one block away at the corner of Harrison Avenue and Waltham Street (next to Gaslight Restaurant) and at 505 Tremont Street, the Calderwood Pavilion.
A word from South End Buttery
South End Buttery is a neighborhood eat-in and take-away bakery/cafe by day and full bar/restaurant by night. The Buttery's award-winning food has a reputation for combining simple and few ingredients to create exceptional everyday food at everyday prices. The Buttery takes casual fine dining to new heights, with classic comfort food as well as dishes for the health and calorie conscious that pair beautifully with the affordable wine and beer selections. You'll feel like you're dining in your own home – but you won’t have to do the dishes!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
South End Buttery - Best Restaurants in South End ›
South End Buttery reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (73)great for brunch (64)fit for foodies (35)romantic (34)special occasion (16)hot spot (13)great for lunch (13)good for groups (9)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014This was my second time coming here. The food is delicious but a bit on the pricy side so its not someplace I can come to regularly. But I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- The Buttery--go beyond the bakery!smcraig7VIPDined on 9/23/2014I always like coming to the Buttery. The downstairs seating is such a neighborhood gem. Plenty of options for vegetarians. Drinks are great--the Old Fashioned missed, but they're usually right on. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Brunch2FoodiesDined on 9/21/2014My husband & I recently went to South End Buttery's Brunch on Sunday. We started with the Buttery Bakery Basket which included a delicious assortment of scones, muffins and banana bread. All were baked to perfection. Then for our main course I had the eggs benedict with ham & cheddar and my husband had the Huevos Rancheros. Both were outstanding. We have never had a better brunch anywhere in our travels, except perhaps on St. Barths. We will definitely be back and next time will opt for dinner.Special Features:
- Good food, troubling serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2014Waiter could not have been more pained with each interaction...food was good. Tables downstairs are quite close together and if the person at the next table is loud...Special Features:
- Great dinnerDiaperwiperDined on 9/18/2014Good was fantastic, service was perfect! Staff was very attentive . We all (four of us) had different meals and everyone loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pretty solidRobinDined on 9/14/2014Service somewhat slow; very noisy; food was delicious. Best brunch in the south end on taste alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/13/2014When we saw the entrance we thought we had booked to eat dinner in a bakery, but we were pleased to be shown to a lovely table downstairs. Exposed brick walls, small alcoves, soft seating and candle light give this place a lovely atmosphere. All the food was delicious, fresh and well presented. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, even second time aroundAnonymousDined on 9/13/2014Brunch french toast delicious, probably one of my favorites that I've had so far. My boyfriend had the salmon and scrambled eggs. The quality of the food was very fresh. However, we must have been so hungry that we both left with just a little more space in our tummies compared to other brunch places. I would definitely come back again but will always make reservations - this place is quite popular.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!Aimes10Dined on 9/10/2014The South End buttery is one of my favorite spots. The food is always fantastic and the service is superb.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014I loved the little grotto area downstairs. The attmosphere was lovely. We had delicious cocktails to start the meal and wonderful desserts to finish it. A lovely time was had by all.Special Features:
- Brunch was delicious!YogaenthusiastVIPDined on 8/24/2014This lively, long-time, reliable dining spot in the South End does not disappoint. Four different brunch orders were delicious. And the drinks were well prepared and great. There are many more choices available than when the South End Buttery opened, but this one continues to be a favorite.Special Features:
- Great brunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Enjoyed a lovely brunch with girlfriends at the South End Buttery. The food was delicious and service was friendly. In my mind, the fact that they take reservations for brunch was an added bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AveragedwwdwwDined on 8/12/2014Went with three friends and my particular experience was a bit disappointing. Service was quite slow -- I would say it took about 10-15 longer than normal to get our entrees. It was a Tuesday night and the restaurant was less than half full, so this was a bit unexpected. I ordered the meatloaf and I would describe it as 'meh' -- it was dry and lacking flavor. At $20 for meatloaf, one would expect something more interesting and ambitious. My friend ordered the burger, and although it was quite good, he did feel that for $19 the burger was quite small. We both understand quality vs. quantity, but $19 is a hefty price for a burger, and we have seen it done at a much more reasonable size at plenty of comparable restaurants around town.
- Best brunch!!!e1eeDined on 8/3/2014The South End Buttery never disappoints! We are always promptly seated at the time of our reservation. The service is friendly, attentive and efficient; never have to flag someone down for more coffee. We also never feel like we are being rushed to finish up. It is always a leisurely experience. The food is always impressive and absolutley delicious! It is thoughtfully prepared and beautifully presented. The menu offers unique variety; so much more than the usual run of the mill selections. This is my favorite place in the city for brunch and I always pick up some scones, cupcakes or muffins on my out the door. I also just discovered their market which has lots of great pre made foods, more bakery goods and even ice cream!Special Features:
- Poor SeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/3/2014We made a reservation and were the 3rd people to be seated in the dinning room that morning. But the hostess still put us at a bad table (the first table downstairs by the waiters station and the kitchen, even when plenty of seats int he main room were available). Apparently their approach is to spread people out to distribute them among the waiters rather then seat people in the best tables first. Maybe I should have spoke up, and asked for a better table, but I hate feeling like I'm being picky (easier and less confrontational to do it here). They should know better and put customers first, not think about seating as it affects waiters tips...since sitting someone at a sub par table will affect their tip anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kagoDined on 8/1/2014My mom and I went here for dinner. We had great food, great wine, and our server was friendly and professional. My favorite part about this restaurant is that the use healthy, organic ingredients to make GREAT food, and the ambience cannot be beat if you want something cozy with great ambience (but not overly romantic).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!rbesqDined on 7/29/2014It's got great food, a vibrant, but not too loud atmosphere, attentive, friendly service, and a very comfortable feel - and it's all reasonably priced. Perfect spot for a great dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Coffee and moreMusicman108Dined on 7/20/2014We went for Sunday brunch, which was delightful. The Buttery seems like it was a boutique neighborhood coffee shop that expanded to food and ultimately a back room with a full bar. Great selection of pastries and brunch items. My wife had the quinoa and bean burger, which really was delicious. Long line for coffee (if not getting table service) as it is a go-to neighborhood place. Young and hip. Make a reservation for brunch, not many tables. Service was very friendly, but a bit scattered.Special Features:
- Best BrunchbrunchbirdDined on 7/19/2014This is one of the best places in Boston for brunch that I have found. Not only does its restaurant offer a huge selection of brunch items, all of which are delicious, but its cafe upstairs is wonderful and also has a huge selection of pastries and yummy drinks. Located in the South End, this is a prime spot for a beautiful, delicious brunch in boston.Special Features:
- Decent food; very noisylikes2eatoutDined on 7/12/2014The first time I was here we had the Buttery Basket and the salmon and eggs. The Buttery Basket was AMAZING. The salmon and eggs were high quality and simply prepared. The second time I ordered the spring herb omelette, which is supposed to come with a choice of cheese. I chose goat cheese, but my omelette was served without any. It was very plain, but the ingredients tasted of high quality. It was EXTREMELY noisy and it was hard to hear the person seated adjacent to me.Special Features:
- Food:VG, ambiance:depends on ur vueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/11/2014I had the pan seared salmon, tasty with crisp pan seared surfaces. Accompanying greens: clean, perhaps slightly salty nice balance with the lemon vegetable quinoa. Plan for a starter and/or side or two. Ambiance score: By day, this is a coffee shop/bakery as well. There's potential to be seated in either the front (coffee shop) or in the back or downstairs ("restaurant" like). We were seated in the front. Our table straddled two storefront windows and the red fire alarm pull down, mounted on the narrow column between the windows, contributed prominently to our ambiance, as did the cold counter with the coffee shop's cold food display counter opposite. Ask to seat in back/or downstairs or maybe end-up in coffee shop (expectations important)Special Features:
- Saturday brunchPLLLLVIPDined on 7/5/2014Went here for brunch on a Saturday morning. Thought it was just a tiny restaurant, but downstairs are more seating and that dining room is really cosy. Were seated promptly and both service and food was good. Not very special, but good enough to visit again.Special Features:
- CharmingbostonbrunchingDined on 6/29/2014This was my first time at South End Buttery and it definitely lived up to all of the talk! We got seated downstairs right away for our 11am brunch reservation and got waited on almost immediately. Our waiter was friendly but quick, since it was pretty busy. The downstairs is small and a little loud but very cozy. The food was AMAZING. We started off with the bread basket for 2 which could have been shared by 6 but of course we ate almost the entire thing because it was so delicious. The entrees that we ordered were pretty standard, I got a goat cheese omelette with toast. I brought a friend who was visiting me and have already told my boyfriend and roommates that I want to take them too! Everything from the food to the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comically slow serviceSarahVIPDined on 6/28/2014The food and drinks were wonderful, but the service was subpar at best. The waiting staff was incredibly friendly, so no problem there, but unfortunately we waited for so long to get our drinks and then our food that it made the experience a lot less fun. We waited almost 30 min to get our first drinks, and another hour AFTER that to get our food. The food was delicious, but that type of service makes me wary to come back again any time soon.
- Still A TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/27/2014The Buttery only seems to get better and better...intimate dining spaces, delectably plrepared food, and warm genuine service. What more could one ask for. With the summer upon us, they ahve added lively and refreshing cocktails to the menu, and though it may sound a bit adventurous, try the strawberry basi pot de creme; paired with prosecco. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as usualTerrieyuppieDined on 6/24/2014I went here for my 21st birthday since the buttery is my favorite restaurant. The waiter was nice and very accommodating. The cocktail list was good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE the food but too noisy!!!setdineDined on 6/19/2014This was my second time at the Buttery. The first time I went with my roommate and we were the only two seated in the basement and the food was incredible--zero complaints. This time I went with my boyfriend and again we were seated in the basement, however, this time with 4-5 other groups. Though I'd still give the food an A+, the noise level was just too loud! Though I could hear everyone elses conversations crystal clear, I could barely hear my boyfriend speak. It definitely took away from the whole atmosphere. I'll definitely try again but avoid being seated downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EspSRT55Dined on 6/15/2014I took my husband for Father's day and it was a great experience. The ambience is wonderful, has a feeling of a cozy, nice place place. A real gem!Special Features:
- Friendly service, great brunch foodLjbayerDined on 6/15/2014Brunch was great--we had brioche French toast, huevos rancheros, and crab cake sandwiches. All were well prepared and nicely presented. Everyone was friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014We went for Fathers Day and it did not disappoint!!!Special Features:
- Best brunch in BostonFoodEnthusiastDined on 6/15/2014This is the first place I look to make a reservation for many special occasions (Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, etc). You are guaranteed a delicious meal at the Buttery. The brunch menu rarely changes but they typically have an additional special menu to pick from (at least on Mother's and Father's Day). I almost always order the Buttery Breakfast as their pancakes and eggs are to die for, I don't know how they make something so simple so delicious! This time I ordered an omelet off of the special menu which came with a side salad and home fries, everything about my meal was great. Another member of my party ordered the steak breakfast burrito which looked and smelled fabulous! Needless to say, we left satisfied and full!Special Features:
- Cute place to get togetherLisaVIPDined on 6/8/2014Always wanted to brunch at the buttery. It was a very good choice. Service could have been slightly more attentive, but overal good. We will go back.Special Features:
- Overall Great brunchNHGalDined on 6/7/2014The food was amazing and the surroundings were beautiful; I'd definitely recommend it and go back. That being said, it was crowded and confusing to get seated for my reservation and I didn't feel made comfortable in that situation by the staff. Not that anyone was rude, but also not overly pleasant or helpful. I would guess just overwhelmed by the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and ambiencelove4food1Dined on 6/5/2014I read about South End Buttery from the internet. When I reach Boston, I google and found my way to the restaurant. The ground floor dining was brighter and can see the road but I chose the basement where a nice fireplace is located. There were lots of chatting from fellow clients but I find the noise level very energetic and lively. The food that I ordered were so yummy that the noise seemed music to my ears. The waiter and chef were very attentive and were always around to see to the needs of clients. Service was excellent. I enjoyed my meal and if I can come back again I will definitely look up this restaurant again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1003 reviews are from the South End Buttery reviews archive.
- Good BrunchSippemomDined on 6/1/2014Brunch food was fresh and tasty. The decaf coffee was sorely deficient, however. I believe it was made from a package of instant Sanka. Everything else was fine. A bit crowded but we liked the buzz.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2014Great brunch! Service was a but slow. And my food wasn't hot hot unfortunately. It was probably sitting waiting for my two friends meals to be ready? Still delicious. Long waits, so make resefvstions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice early dinnerwestenderVIPDined on 5/31/2014We ate here early on a Saturday evening, before a concert. Sat upstairs for a change. The space is airier than downstairs, with its own charm. Friendly service and a visit from the Manager. The high tables are high, and it takes a bit of effort to get to the bench side, but great people-watching. We could not stop eating the amazing rosemary scones! We enjoyed the calamari, and our server provided tartar sauce for the diner who did not care for the excellent tomatillo dip. The salmon entrée was more than enough to share. We did not have time/room for dessert. Next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South end mustBostonAASVIPDined on 5/27/2014So cozy and the food is so good. A great neighborhood restaurant to have a great meal and catch up with friends!Special Features:
- Another delicious dinnerJayPVIPDined on 5/24/2014I dined with my wife, 25 year old daughter and boyfriend. We all enjoyed the variety of menu items. My wife and I split orders of the Hanger Steak and Eggplant Parm. My daughter had the homemade veggie burger, her boyfriend the traditional burger. All was delicious! The only thing off was the timing. The dinners came out before we finished our salads and appetizers. We really enjoy a short break between courses so suggest the restaurant work on this. Otherwise, this is a true neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Excellent!BiancaneroDined on 5/24/2014Loved my goat cheese and herb omelet and bloody mary. Highly recommend although I did think the music was a little loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.