17 South Edison Street
Montauk, NY 11954Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southedison.com/
- Phone: 6316684200
- Hours of Operation:
For the month of May the hours of operation will vary. Please contact the restaurant directly for more details.
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 5:30PM - 10:00PM Thursday - Saturday 5:30PM - 11:00PM Sunday 4:00PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Todd Mitgang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (bar only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from South Edison
South Edison is one of Montauk's top tables. Offering classic Montauk beach fare with a fresh and creative twist, South Edison is "the model of a summery eatery in a beachy town," says Peter Gianotti of Newsday. Chef Todd Mitgang, of Manhattan's three-star Cascabel Taqueria and formerly of Crave Ceviche Bar, offers a seafood centric menu with inventive flavors. A mere two blocks from the ocean, South Edison offers a menu changing almost daily to highlight the fresh local seafood, most of it sourced from the fishing docks only a mile away. Everything at South Edison from the colors and the furniture to the décor and lighting says Hamptons beach house. Look for creative cocktails such as dirty sandbox, patio pounder and the Montauk mojito at the bar as well as local brews from Six Point Brewery at the bar or in Growlers to go. Whether it's an après beach cocktail and a snack or a candlelit dinner for two, South Edison is a perfect summer spot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
South Edison - Best Restaurants in Montauk ›
South Edison reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (41)good for groups (29)hot spot (28)special occasion (23)kid-friendly (23)romantic (17)great for outdoor dining (17)vibrant bar scene (15)notable wine list (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- GammaRSDined on 8/29/2014Consistently excellent ever time that we went.Great specialty cocktailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelectableAnnieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Delicious, inventive food with a definite seafood emphasis, lovely atmosphere and great service make South Edison a Montauk favorite. The soft shell crab appetizer is fantastic!Special Features:
- A little too haute cuisine?FoodFanDined on 8/26/2014Fantastic food and service. Was a but too polished for what we were expecting. Kids menu limited - but then again, our kids eat boring things. Totally recommend, just come prepared for a high end meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Montauk Great Spot food serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014Had a good dinner and great service - fast, very pleasant and helpful. Will go again often!Special Features:
- Great serviceSupersitzDined on 8/19/2014We had high hopes for South Edison since our last visit.But the food was ok.The portions were not great and the food was ok.We so disappointed .Hopefully we'll try again.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodMeAgainVIPDined on 8/15/2014South Edison survives and thrives because it is consistently good, yet always changing. The menu highlights are the items that make use of the fresh local fish and produce. We enjoyed the striped bass with tomatoes, berries and avocado entree. It was prepared and presented beautifully. You can trust that they will make something memorable with whatever Montauk bounty has to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuggieDined on 8/15/2014Consistently wonderful and inventive. Always enjoyable!Special Features:
- Need wine in the $ 30.00 rangeSMillerDined on 8/14/2014The food prices are reasonable and the quality is good. The wine list was missing bottles in the thirty dollar range.......Special Features:
- Gr8 food Gr8 drinks Gr8 Serviceyungf00DDined on 8/13/2014We were a little early for our res so we went to the bar. I asked the bartender for a special drink and he had to leave his busy post to see if there were the proper ingredients for it. From the moment I asked, he seemed enthusiastic about helping me. The bartender returned to show me what he scavenged up and I said it would do. The drink he made for me was superb, not only was it special and made just for me but the bartender hit the nail on the head; the drink was perfectly made. the oyesters were 10/10, the food was all cooked perfectly, not too salty like some other restaurants in the area. We were very satisfied with our meal as well as with our whole dining experienceSpecial Features:
- JHM1JHM1VIPDined on 8/12/2014The best restaurant in Montauk! Lobster with couscous was out of this world as was the inspired specialty cocktail menu, which featured numerous boutique gin recipes. I never thought of adding pepper to a gin drink, but South Edison has done it and it was delicious. Their use of spices coupled with organic produce and the freshest seafood is a mainstay of this establishment . The place was rocking on a Tuesday night at 9:00, but the noise was still manageable. Waiter was great-attentive but not intrusive. Great spot to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Worth the trip!lelaurie368VIPDined on 8/12/2014Cool ambiance, feels like a surf shop, white washed with red and teal accents, especially loved the red bike hanging on the wall and the pendant lights over the tables. My mom and I were staying in Amagansett but wanted to explore Montauk for an evening and this restaurant came up on OpenTable as well as on other blog/magazine articles. We arrived a little early and had a drink at the bar, the vodka basil pepper gimlet was great! For our meal, we had a few oysters to share, as well as the Char Grilled Romaine salad to start, then I had the Braised Short Rib while my mom had the Black and Blue Sea Scallops. Oysters were great, salad was good (chopped up romaine, not full grilled leaves like we expected), and the dinners were incredible!Special Features:
- Best in Montauk!YumzDined on 8/12/2014We have been coming here to eat since they have opened. The food is always delicious and fresh. On a first visit try the outstanding Fluke dish or Caviatelli. Desserts are superb as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuggieDined on 8/11/2014This restaurant consistently makes my Montauk vacation "extra special" each and every year. Wonderful and inventive food with great service,always enhances my experience.Special Features:
- DisappointedMomof4VIPDined on 8/11/2014Not much to say..food was fair and with small portions. Limited menu. Service not so attentive. Would not go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2014Everything was wonderful but they have a lighting problem. The lights flickered for our entire meal which was very annoying. Otherwise it's a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An MTK MustOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2014Get your rez on the books now. Outstanding across the board.Special Features:
- Great meal, great servicekdkdDined on 8/5/2014Bright, vibrate space and innovative, delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- montauk bestlifoodloverDined on 8/3/2014We had one of our best meals ever at South Edision. My wife enjoyed the lemongrass flounder. My sea bass was equally good. Raw clam app was fresh and briney. Speciality drinks were interesting.Special Features:
- Casual with Excellent FoodAlwaysHungryDined on 8/1/2014Overall a wonderful evening - everything we ate was delicious - service was good - setting was casual / comfortable and atmosphere was livelySpecial Features:
- nope!NoahsauntVIPDined on 7/30/2014Amateur service, hostess on the phone when we entered and ignored us, wait staff awkward and disengaged. Chalupa dry, fluke sashimi over seasoned, seared tuna entrée flavorless. Awful!
- Oh yeah!MelsaysDined on 7/29/2014Rarely does a restaurant that mix up its menu as frequently -- and creatively -- as South Edison. We've been coming here for 3 years. We were last here in May, before the insane summer season. We noticed new menu items across the board (along with some standbys). We were here again Tuesday, July 29. Again, new items on the menu, all wonderfully prepared. There's no point in studying the menu online. It changes regularly. Whatever they make, it always has a unique twist and is delicious. The one constant complaint is the noise: the hard floors, wall and high vaulted ceilings bounce it around AND they play music loud, too. They've tried to correct this with panels on the ceiling but alas…which is why one star less than five.Special Features:
- great food but service was lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2014For the most part our food was great. I had the striped bass which was really good. My husband had the short ribs which were tasty but dry. The service though was not great. Our waitress left us waiting for quite a while before she took any part of our order, but was obviously running to help the people next to us. They didn't seem to wait more than a few minutes for a refilled glass of wine while we couldnt get her attention to even order a second round.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/25/2014We had the best clams on a half shell during our 2 week trip traveling the northeast! They were delicious and big. The service was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatcookDined on 7/25/2014Just okay. Very fresh clams and fluke was great. Bass and seafood "bake" lacked flavor. Extremely noisy!
- Outstanding!!!SAH5Dined on 7/24/2014This is our 3rd time there for dinner. Atmosphere is bright and pleasant and service wonderful. Knowledgeable staff and one feels welcomed upon arrival. The food is fresh using an array of vegetables tastefully appointed. We arrived earlier than our reserved time and did not have to wait to be seated. Highly recommended. Wish we lived closer to the restaurant as it would be a weekly visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip the To Go DessertNibblesnBitsVIPDined on 7/22/2014Ordered desserts 'to go' to enjoy on the hotel balcony. Waitress put the bulky boxes on the table and walked away. Flagged her down for a bag and utensils and was proudly told that they had neither. As a visitor in a hotel without access to utensils, the desserts were inedible. In the end, they were thrown away.
- South EdisonFrequentDinerVIPDined on 7/22/2014Very disappointed in the food. I started with the octopus tacos, which had no flavor at all and my wife's salad was 95% bread with very little vegetables. I had the black and blue scallops, which again had no taste. My wife had the striped bass, which she said was good, however at $30+, was a small portion size. My wife spoke to the waitress about the salad, she brought over the menu to show her the description, however didn't offer to make an adjustment. Cocktail and beer selection were good and we skipped dessert. All of our other meals in Montauk were better and less expensive.
- Very over-rated....OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/22/2014Had heard great things about this place, but our visit was disappointing. The best dish was the fluke sashimi appetizer, though a bit sloppy in presentation. A tomato salad with grilled manouri cheese very bland, and the mains were equally ordinary - grilled scallops, fried chicken, grilled tuna. Would not return. Service cheerful but uneven.
- South Edison shines!BBWRDined on 7/18/2014We had a delicious dinner here; wonderful flavors and fresh seafood; not to be missed if you're in Montauk for a few days.Special Features:
- great foodjimmyboy3rdDined on 7/17/2014we had the lobster buns OUTSTANDING and the grilled lobster over cous cous fantasticSpecial Features:
- South Edison gets it rightGolem212VIPDined on 7/17/2014This casual Montauk hot spot serves up a really great seafood dinner. They have a raw bar, plus several entrees caught that day. But since they are on the Eastern tip of Long Island, that's to be expected. Service is brisk, friendly and somewhat casual. Swells come off their cabin cruisers in resort wear, and sit cheek by jowl with locals and surfers in shorts and sandals. Although they have a varied and well-priced wine list, diners can also bring their own bottles from one of the nearby wineries and enjoy them for a corkage fee of $25. The food is excellent, the location is convenient, and the value is quite good overall. Recommended.Special Features:
- Great food in attractive setting.MeAgainVIPDined on 7/17/2014We followed our server's recommendation and tried the striped bass entree that was on the menu for the first time that night. It was outstanding! Grilled fish with roasted heirloom tomatoes, black rice and farm fresh asparagus. Everything was delicious and as fresh as possible. We shared a salted caramel ice cream sandwich for dessert. Try the rose wine from Sancere, France with your fish. It was a great pairing. We highly recommend South Edison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC IN MONTAUKdejaDined on 7/17/2014GREAT FOOD , EXCELLENT SERVICE . THIS IS MY NEW GO TO PLACE IN MONTAUK. THE COLOR SCHEME IS PERFECT REALLY CASUAL BUT HAS THAT NYC FEEL TO IT. THE MENU IS EXTREMELY CREATIVE WITH THE CHEF USING MOSTLY LOCAL SOURCED PRODUCTS. MY OCTOPUS TACO WAS OUTSTANDING AND MY WIFE'S HEIRLOOM TOMATO SALAD WITH CRISPY BASIL LEAFS WAS A PERFECT MARRIAGE. THE HOMEMADE CAVATAPI WAS DELICIOUS . THOUGH I WASN'T THRILLED WITH MY BUTTERMILK CHICKEN I FELT THE RED THAI CHILI SAUCE WAS A LITTLE TO VINEGARY FOR ME . OUR DESSERT WAS A PERFECT ENDING !!! THE PISTACHIO PROFITEROLES DIDN'T HAVE A CHANCE THE ICE CREAM HAD TO BE MADE IN HOUSE IS WAS THAT GOOD. COMPLIMENT TO THE CHEF AND STAFF FOR A GREAT DINNERSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014Great place with a great menu. Dishes are a work if art and are simply delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSteveVIPDined on 7/12/2014A great spot for Montauk. A real beachy feel. Good food and nice people.Special Features:
- Always deliciousFLvisitorDined on 7/12/2014Fun bartender (didn't catch his name) with some great cocktails like the Meyer Lemon Margarita. Yum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tiny portionspintguyDined on 7/10/2014Very flavorful albeit miniscule portions. $3 blue point oysters while sitting next to a car on the street? Too expensive for me...shan't be backSpecial Features:
- South Edison does it againFLvisitorDined on 7/6/2014My first time back this season & it wowed. Loved the short rib. All dishes have an incredible combination of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solidly good foodsamik83VIPDined on 7/5/2014The food is always excellent at South Edison, the drinks--amazing. I'd have to say, though, the fried clams leave a little something to be desired but the clam bake and seared tuna were wonderful.Special Features:
- Awful.Eliz881VIPDined on 6/28/2014We were excited to try South Edison. The menu seems exciting, refreshing and exotic. Diner beware. The only small plate that was edible, were the fried oysters. The carrot/ clam soup was merely carrot broth and cream. The clams must have jumped ship before being served. The Sashimi had a smell so horible it was not edible. The waitress had no opinion on the food what so ever. She offered no insight,no condolences when she took an entire plate of un eaten food away. Pistachio ice cream was really vanilla. No care, concern nor attention paid to the table. The only thing that had real taste was the Taffy but that free salt water taffy came with an expensive price tag, and an evening of just sheer disspointment.