South City Kitchen Midtown
1144 Crescent Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30309Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
South City Kitchen Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fifthgroup.com/
- Phone: 4048737358x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 11am to 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chip Ulbrich
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: South City Kitchen Midtown is owned by Fifth Group Restaurants which also owns Bold American Events & Catering. For more information on catering, please visit http://boldamerican.com.
A word from South City Kitchen Midtown
Celebrating over 16 years as one of Atlanta's favorite restaurants, South City Kitchen Midtown specializes in contemporary Southern cuisine with a sophisticated twist. Combining the energy of Atlanta with the warmth of a Southern home, the restaurant is nestled in an updated, historic bungalow on the city's famous Crescent Avenue. Dine on local specialties such as shrimp and grits, buttermilk fried chicken, she-crab soup, fried green tomatoes and banana pudding while enjoying the view of our exhibition kitchen or the Atlanta skyline on one of the best patios in the city. This truly is dining the way the new South intended. (Please note, the restaurant is not handicap accessible.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
South City Kitchen Midtown - Best Restaurants in Midtown ›
South City Kitchen Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
357 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (197)neighborhood gem (162)special occasion (135)great for lunch (119)great for brunch (115)great for outdoor dining (109)good for groups (84)hot spot (83)romantic (73)notable wine list (42)vibrant bar scene (25)kid-friendly (19)late-night find (19)scenic view (18)Show More
- Good upscale Southern cookingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Fried chicken and mashed potatoes were delicious. The fried green tomatoes as appetizer were just OK, not great. The shrimp and grits were also very good. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I decided to have my family join me at South City Kitchen for my birthday as I've been before and the food is fantastic. The food remained "something to talk about" and I will definitely return. I was disappointed with our service as our appetizers arrived before our drinks made it out and since it was a special occasion we would more than likely have ordered a round or two more off the cocktail menu, but decided not to since the drinks came so far into the evening.Special Features:
- excellent servicetorontovisitorDined on 8/28/2014The service provided by our server and by the manager was outstanding. We were impressed by the knowledge of both people as well as their friendly approach to all their guests. They conveyed a real enthusiasm for southern cuisine and food products that I appreciated. The ford was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedDrdinerDined on 8/27/2014A friend recommended this place and it didn't disappoint. I had the crab-cake Hash which was delicious. Definitely want to go back and try the fried chicken. It's one of the more popular dishes and it looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- layers of flavorsterigalDined on 8/26/2014Shrimp and grits were delicious! Love the poblano pepper in them...yum. They have the best cornbread I have ever had in my life!!Special Features:
- deLISH!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014we went to your restaurant from a recommendation of a friend and we were completely blown away. from the kindness of one of your employees who greeted us as we arrived early and offered us a seat at the bar and a glass of water, to the beautiful and sweet young woman who took us to our table, to our waiter, andy, who was great and really led us to a wonderful meal, and finally to the amazing food itself...it was all wonderful!! i will spread the word and hopefully be back again someday to enjoy another meal with you!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014We ate outside which was nice except noisy. Great food. Had the fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits and fried chicken. All delicious.Special Features:
- South City First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014We visited the Midtown location, and it was just what we were expecting! Awesome menu, great service, and just a quaint place to be! Our server was fantastic, we had a little bit of everything, and even split the chicken and waffles, fried green tomatoes, and the fruit granola. They put them both on separate plates for us too, and it was plenty of food. So happy we chose South City for our Sunday brunch in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyAtldineDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant was loud and busy. But our server was attentive and very friendly. Drinks were strong and tasty, loved the mint julep. We both loved our food. Great southern style dishes and sides tasted like they were from my grandma's kitchen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night, Great nightSTPATLDined on 8/23/2014Great night out at South City Kitchen. The server was very attentive, friendly, and ready with full descriptions of menu items and recommendations. We had a full meal sampling from every menu. Fried Green Tomatoes, Mussels, She-Crab Soup, Baby Beet Salad, Fried Chicken, Duck Breast, Pineapple Upside-down cake. For the highlights the Fried Chicken certainly lived up to the billing and the baby beet salad was a delicious work of art. The duck wasn't one of our favorites but was still good in its own right. All of the other items listed above were delicious. We also took advantage of the specialty cocktails, good times had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern with a Healthy TwistJayEdwardVIPDined on 8/23/2014This menu provides great variety, with vegetables like tomato pie and asparagus/mushroom mix (when in season) often the starring the attraction. I started with the pork belly (tasted great) and then moved to the heathy stuff (tasted just as great). This restaurant is very popular and deservedly so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!ATLgirlkdDined on 8/21/2014Consistently delicious food, though sometimes all ingredients are not listed on the menu. Be sure to ask about any items you're thinking of if you have a nut allergy....Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/19/2014This restaurant had a quaint charming feel to it being that it looked as though it used to be someone's home that was remodeled into a restaurant. The service and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Comfort FoodGrammardadDined on 8/19/2014It was a great meal! The hot house tomato tart was exceptional. Southern comfort food with a city spin would best describe the fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDonnaVIPDined on 8/17/2014We were in town for just one night for a college tour at Georgia Tech and picked this restaurant based on location and the other reviews. The food was excellent, the drinks were terrific and our waitress was great. Both my husband and I tried their fried chicken. It was delicious. I had the summer peach salad and my husband had the she crab soup. Being from Baltimore, we are always a bit leary to try crab dishes elsewhere because many places just don't do it justice. The soup, however was wonderful. We would definitely return if we are ever in Atlanta again.Special Features:
- Great BrunchCopstadDined on 8/17/2014Really enjoyed the setting and the food. Be sure and make reservations for brunch as it is very busy. Cocktails were very good and Crab Cake Benedict was wonderful!Special Features:
- Busy on a Saturday morningMissFrizzle007Dined on 8/16/2014My mom, sister, great-aunt, and I had brunch here on Saturday morning. We decided to sit indoors, but due to the noise level inside, it may have been better to sit outside. My great-aunt, who is elderly, had difficulty hearing the conversation throughout the meal. The restaurant was busy for Saturday morning brunch, and that's certainly not a bad thing! I enjoyed the fried green tomatoes appetizer, pecan waffle entree, and fried okra side. I tasted my great-aunt's tomato soup, which was delicious, and I also tasted some of the items on my sister's vegetable plate -- the field peas were very good! I would recommend South City Kitchen, but I wish that there were a parking option where patrons could have their tickets validated.Special Features:
- fantastic food and servicedkn1234Dined on 8/15/2014Group of 4. We all loved every item we ordered. I had the fried chicken and it was the best I have ever had. Waiter was fun and very attentive. A perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place rocks!EricaVIPDined on 8/15/2014We always have great service and the food is great when we come here. Our waitress was awesome and very accommodating. The food was fresh and came out quickly. The drinks were very refreshing. My in-laws love coming here when they're in town. Thanks you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, even better servicehotlibDined on 8/15/2014South City Kitchen was a chance discovery, but will forever be at the top of the list for Atlanta. The food was wonderful, but the service makes the place shine. It is obvious that the restaurant and the staff care deeply about crafting a wonderful experience for each table. Our waitress was incredibly knowledgable about both the food and the wine list, and made spot-on recommendations that were not anywhere close to the most expensive things on the menu. Next time we're getting dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014Restaurant outdoor seating is not ideal and was seated in front of the water station, outside has an odor that is unfortunate for the restaurant, would definitely not recommend sitting outside. The food did not live up to the hype, the goat cheese fried green tomatoes - were burnt and they served it with a broken one on top. The Chicken was well done and not much chicken just batter, the famous fresh peach salad was over dressed and had two peach slices. The front of the house seemed put out and the chairs outside are so close you cannot get in and out and disturb the guests behind you, they even go so far as to say how you have to maneuver your chair to get in and out and then seem irritated if you get it wrong.Special Features:
- Pearl of AtlantaDaveDined on 8/10/2014This restaurant was recommended by our hotel. It was fantastic. So good that we went back on the last night of our two week tour of The Southern States, after eating there on the very first night.. Everything about it was brilliant from the friendly service to the great food and good wine list. Views of colorful local scenes and central location. I could not recommend it highly enough.Special Features:
- Excellent southern farebgg2011Dined on 8/8/2014If all you order is their buttermilk fried chicken, you won't be disappointed. Everything we ordered was actually very delicious: shrimp and grits, collards, mac and cheese. Decent wine list, "ok" service. The patio was so dark, we had a hard time reading the menu or seeing our food.Special Features:
- Tia RichardsonATLfoodie2014Dined on 8/8/2014I LOVE this place. I had the shrimp po boy this time and it wasn't the best - I think it was the bread. I was able to take my shrimp out the po boy and eat with my side of mac-and-cheese which is always a hit. I will always recommend the fried chicken, mint julep and banana pudding for dessert.Special Features:
- Great fish special!DelighteddebVIPDined on 8/7/2014The service was excellent. Food was prepared quickly and great explanation was given to us about their menu! My snapper was the best presentation that I have had recently. It was over butter beans and onions! Yum!Special Features:
- Disappointing . . .DawnaVIPDined on 8/6/2014We have dined at South City numerous times and have always been very pleased; however, this experience was very disappointing. Our standard order includes she-crab soup, but it was inedible because of over-salting; our sandwich choice - Crab Cake BLT . . sounded lovely, even at $19, however, the bacon was raw, bread tough, and a crab cake that could fit on half the sandwich . . . disappointing. Lemonade delicious! Service wonderful, as always. However, overall, a disappointing experience.
- Comfort food with a classy edgeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/5/2014The food was great. I would recommend the Buttermilk fried chicken with mashed potatoes and four cheese mac n cheese. The ambiance is nice and romantic; however the restaurant can get noisy. The waiter was very patient and nice. Overall the experience was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best taste of the SouthOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/5/2014Amazing buttermilk deep fried chicken. A real taste of the south, and updated to be modern. I always plan on a stop there when in Midtown ATL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great Southern CuisinertpivVIPDined on 8/2/2014I rotate between the Midtown and the Vinings location. This meal was in Midtown. Food and service were outstanding for brunch. South City clings to our southern roots, and what better way than through fried chicken. If there's consistently better fried chicken in Atlanta, I don't know where it is. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars for ambience is that it was ear-splittingly loud. We had trouble carrying on a conversation it was so loud. South City is known as a popular spot for celebrities, probably because of the close proximity to the Four Seasons Hotel and because it truly is good, southern cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Place we can count onkarinekodaVIPDined on 8/1/2014Solid food and service. Highly recommended, whether it is for a business lunch or a pre-theater dinner.Special Features:
- Nice restaurantJohnDined on 7/30/2014We had a great diner here. The service was good. The food was also great. Together with restaurant Lure we find this one of the best restaurants in Midtown.Special Features:
- Consistently greatSophieVIPDined on 7/29/2014This is our work go-to restaurant for special occasion lunches - the food's always good (mac and cheese, succotash, chicken) as is the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Not the best place. My broccoli rabe was not edible- sent it back- doused in vinegar. Fried chicken was burnt. Way too loud to enjoy a meal.
- A ClassicTimboDined on 7/27/2014This was our fouth visit to South City Kitchen as we find the food and service always delightful. We ordered the scallop appetizer and they were perfectly cooked, a slight crunch on the outside and very tender inside. This visit we tried the pork chop and the catfish. We did not make a mistake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedunfoldthesoulDined on 7/27/2014Really nice to visit a restaurant that boasts southern cuisine with sophistication while maintaining the characteristics we LOVE about southern food! Service was excellent...food was delicious...plate presentation, seasoning..everything...I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but INCREDIBLY NOISY!!luv2travelandeatDined on 7/26/2014We had a concert to attend so I notified OpenTable and we were seated right away. Tyler was our server and was very attentive. The Fried Green Tomato appetizer with tomato/basil sauce was delicious. My husband had the Tennessee Catfish and I had the Shrimp and Grits. Both were phenomenal! The only complaint we had was the noise level. We sat at a cute little table all to ourselves, but could not hear each other talk. It seems that there must not be an insulation in the walls to accommodate the people in the rooms. We were seated upstairs and it seemed that all the noise from downstairs filtered up to us along with all the noise on the second. Loved the food, but don't think we will be back unless we are seated outside to eat.
- great placeveritas753Dined on 7/25/2014Food is always good even if not the best I have ever had. Pearson Farm Peach salad was superb as was shrimp and red mule grits. Service was pleasant and efficient. Good wine list...not great but good.Special Features:
- A Great Eating ExperienceOverwhelmedDined on 7/25/2014I have been to South City Kitchen numerous times and have been completely satisfied with the food the atmosphere and the staff. However this last time was outstanding The service seemed better than before, the food was superb and the portions were perfect, not too much and not too little. I did not leave the restaurant stuffed just extremely satisfied. From the pre-dinner drinks toO the main course, I along with my guests were completely content and ready to enjoy the concert at Symphony Hall. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone going to a play or concert at the Alliance Theater!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total PackageEmmaskyeVIPDined on 7/24/2014This place has the best of everything-great location, great vibe, amazing food, outstanding service and delicious wines. it is a great place to take out of town business guests (ask to sit upstairs) or have a group dining experience. This staff treats everyone like a VIP.Special Features:
- Sunday Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/20/2014Southern cuisine and Sunday Brunch, truly a match made in heaven. When it comes to pairing Southern cuisine and Sunday Brunch, there's no doubt that South City Kitchen in Midtown can compete with the best of 'em. Boasting so many Southern favorites like Fried Green Tomatoes, Pimento Cheese, Fried Chicken, Eggs Benedict, and of course - Chicken and Waffles, one can definitely find an excellent brunch in line with their tastes. Definitely try one of the Benedicts or the Chicken and Waffles. The service was good, the prices were reasonable and I left happy and stuffed.Special Features: