South City Kitchen Midtown
1144 Crescent Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30309Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
South City Kitchen Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fifthgroup.com/
- Phone: 4048737358x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 11am to 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chip Ulbrich
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: South City Kitchen Midtown is owned by Fifth Group Restaurants which also owns Bold American Events & Catering. For more information on catering, please visit http://boldamerican.com.
A word from South City Kitchen Midtown
Celebrating over 16 years as one of Atlanta's favorite restaurants, South City Kitchen Midtown specializes in contemporary Southern cuisine with a sophisticated twist. Combining the energy of Atlanta with the warmth of a Southern home, the restaurant is nestled in an updated, historic bungalow on the city's famous Crescent Avenue. Dine on local specialties such as shrimp and grits, buttermilk fried chicken, she-crab soup, fried green tomatoes and banana pudding while enjoying the view of our exhibition kitchen or the Atlanta skyline on one of the best patios in the city. This truly is dining the way the new South intended. (Please note, the restaurant is not handicap accessible.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
South City Kitchen Midtown - Best Restaurants in Midtown ›
South City Kitchen Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
368 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (211)neighborhood gem (175)special occasion (126)great for outdoor dining (119)great for brunch (113)great for lunch (113)good for groups (93)hot spot (93)romantic (81)notable wine list (46)late-night find (24)vibrant bar scene (23)scenic view (18)kid-friendly (17)Show More
- Not what I expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014I was looking for southern comfort food with a bit of a twist. I made a reservation for a Friday night. The restaurant itself is nicely quaint and the staff was friendly. However service was extremely slow, everything was extremely loud and because the tables are so close together, there was barely moving room. It took about 45 minutes to an hour for me to get dinner (Mac and cheese, greens and chicken...I liked the sides better than the chicken). I ordered pineapple upside down cake for dessert. Very disappointed. I would recommend to a friend only because I believe different strokes for different folks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- be cautious of your belongingsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I went to the restaurant with a group of friends for our reunion. I sat inside of the restaurant with my purse hanging on the back of my chair and friends sitting right next to me. Stood up chatting with some friends (didn't even leave my chair) and the purse was stolen in seconds without anyone seeing what happened. I asked the restaurant staff to help look for it but they don't seem to be very interested. The manager looked at the security camera but said the quality of the camera is bad and can't see anything. I liked the food there and people seem to be friendly but the security of the restaurant is doubtful. When things happen, the staff was not proactive and helpful. Still I wonder how a huge purse disappear in front of everyone
- Amazing Southern FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014If you love high end southern food I definitely recommend coming to South City Kitchen! Absolutely everything we ordered was delicious. Great for a lunch business meeting! Classy yet comfortableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I went for my daughter's birthday dinner. Every dish we order was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food as alwaysmidtowndinerDined on 9/17/2014this place does a lot of southern food right. Their other options are also good. I've had the duck breast before and loved it so I got it again. I will say it was slightly overcooked, but overall it was still good. My wife had the porkchop which was really good.Special Features:
- Very Good Taste of The South!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Great little gem of a restaurant, located directly across from the entrance to the Opera Night Club. Talk about one of your best "people watching" spots in Atlanta! - It probably doesn't get any better than dining out in the night air on their patio, late Friday Nights! The food is simply fantastic. I tried the highly recommended "Southern Fried Chicken" and found it both decadent and delightful. Veggies were good too, but I'm missing the love for a Sweet Potato Soufflé on their lunch menu. Didn't see their dinner menu that day. Overall, it’s the kind of place that expands the palettes of a few, but certainly appeases the masses with its Eclectic Southern Cuisine. - Enjoy! I sure did!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceCreedmoreDined on 9/14/2014Fried green tomatoes were fantastic. Plan to return soon to try the shrimp and grits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerChillMasterDined on 9/14/2014Took my friend to brunch there as a "thank you". We both enjoyed our entrees very much. She had the Brisket Eggs Bendict and I had the Chicken and Waffles. Nice spice and crispyness on the chicken and the waffle was wonderful. The pineapple upside down cake was to die for!!! Would definitely go back!!!Special Features:
- Best fried chickenJJLINVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had the best fried chicken and waffles here during our trip in Atlanta. Overall service and food was great, and would definitely recommend visiting here for brunch.Special Features:
- Amazing food, service and settingSuttongateDined on 9/13/2014I've only been here twice, but this is quickly becoming a new favorite standby restaurant for me. The food is creative, consistent and tasty. The service is exceptional and fun, and the atmosphere is romantic and beautiful. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MidtownMikeDined on 9/13/2014Every time I return to this restaurant I remember how much I enjoy it. I should come more often.Special Features:
- Great Southern Food!CarojayDined on 9/11/2014The food at South City Kitchen is great. The wait staff is very attentive and the atmosphere is vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South City Kitchen ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Great meal, great service! However it was a little noisy so we had a hard time hearing each other..Special Features:
- Love it!BrandiDined on 9/11/2014I'm never disappointed! Always exceptionally delicious, and the service is extraordinary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastyannaDined on 9/5/2014My friend and I had something to celebrate - we became friends in Spain, and found a nice Spanisch wine on the menu. I had never been to the South before and wanted to try fried green tomatoes, which had a special twist with the goats cheese. The salad with caramelized pecan nuts was delicious as well. For mains, we had the trout and the pork chop - of which the pork chop was out of this world, and the trout was very tasty and left enough room for a desert:) A great night out. Service was friendly. Would definitely go there again!Special Features:
- Outstanding Southern cooking!GroovdancerDined on 9/4/2014Located in trendy area of Midtown, this place is not to be missed!! Known for their Southern fried chicken I had it served with mashed potatoes and collard greens. Portion sizes are generous. Meal served with real corn bread and biscuits. Staff extremely attentive to needs and exceptionally friendly. Dessert was cherry shortcake with ice cream. For the best in Atlanta Southern dining this is the place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holy Lobster MacszushiDined on 9/3/2014:') :') :') :') Crying tears of joy. We are visiting Atlanta for work, and this meal was exactly what we need after a long day. The lobster mac, fried chicken, and trout were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing PlaceHLEverettDined on 9/2/2014The food was amazing from the Pork belly appetizer to the buttermilk chicken and pork chops with asparagus! The southern 75 drink is amazing. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Southern and Too ColdFoodieVIPDined on 9/1/2014This highly rated restaurant serves real southern food: fried chicken mashed potatoes & gravy, kale, trout, catfish, etc. I wanted to try it but most of the food is really not healthy though most people like it. I did not care for it. However the worst problem is the noise and, if they seat you upstairs, it is too cold from a/c. I was so cold I asked server to make it warmer but it did not happen. I actually had to get up from my dinner and go downstairs and go outside to warm up. If you go there request downstairs seating or patio seating.Special Features:
- A Fail For MeOccasionalTraveler22VIPDined on 8/31/2014Pros: lemonade cocktail, cornbread muffins, she-crab soup, banana pudding, tomato tart, knowledgeable and pleasant staff. Cons: fried-green tomatoes (not made with cornmeal and over-fried), fried chicken (no seasoning at all and over-fried – truly disappointing), pecan pie (tasteless, tough crust, and way over-baked), unbelievably loud, single-stall bathroom (upstairs) with no AC, one group’s table had been extended almost right next to the bar, so difficult to pass by. I won’t be back.
- Amazing BrunchJenNoDined on 8/31/2014The red mule grits and shrimp were amazing!!! Great service and amazing food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good upscale Southern cookingslawRTRDined on 8/30/2014Fried chicken and mashed potatoes were delicious. The fried green tomatoes as appetizer were just OK, not great. The shrimp and grits were also very good. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I decided to have my family join me at South City Kitchen for my birthday as I've been before and the food is fantastic. The food remained "something to talk about" and I will definitely return. I was disappointed with our service as our appetizers arrived before our drinks made it out and since it was a special occasion we would more than likely have ordered a round or two more off the cocktail menu, but decided not to since the drinks came so far into the evening.Special Features:
- excellent servicetorontovisitorDined on 8/28/2014The service provided by our server and by the manager was outstanding. We were impressed by the knowledge of both people as well as their friendly approach to all their guests. They conveyed a real enthusiasm for southern cuisine and food products that I appreciated. The ford was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedDrdinerDined on 8/27/2014A friend recommended this place and it didn't disappoint. I had the crab-cake Hash which was delicious. Definitely want to go back and try the fried chicken. It's one of the more popular dishes and it looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- layers of flavorsterigalDined on 8/26/2014Shrimp and grits were delicious! Love the poblano pepper in them...yum. They have the best cornbread I have ever had in my life!!Special Features:
- deLISH!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014we went to your restaurant from a recommendation of a friend and we were completely blown away. from the kindness of one of your employees who greeted us as we arrived early and offered us a seat at the bar and a glass of water, to the beautiful and sweet young woman who took us to our table, to our waiter, andy, who was great and really led us to a wonderful meal, and finally to the amazing food itself...it was all wonderful!! i will spread the word and hopefully be back again someday to enjoy another meal with you!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014We ate outside which was nice except noisy. Great food. Had the fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits and fried chicken. All delicious.Special Features:
- South City First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014We visited the Midtown location, and it was just what we were expecting! Awesome menu, great service, and just a quaint place to be! Our server was fantastic, we had a little bit of everything, and even split the chicken and waffles, fried green tomatoes, and the fruit granola. They put them both on separate plates for us too, and it was plenty of food. So happy we chose South City for our Sunday brunch in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delicious!finediningDined on 8/24/2014In today's society consistency is incredibly important in so many aspects and especially restaurant dining. South City Kitchen is an outstanding example of consistency. I enjoy it every single time I have the pleasure of visiting and I do believe you will leave with thoughts very similar to mine. Bon Appétit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyAtldineDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant was loud and busy. But our server was attentive and very friendly. Drinks were strong and tasty, loved the mint julep. We both loved our food. Great southern style dishes and sides tasted like they were from my grandma's kitchen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night, Great nightSTPATLDined on 8/23/2014Great night out at South City Kitchen. The server was very attentive, friendly, and ready with full descriptions of menu items and recommendations. We had a full meal sampling from every menu. Fried Green Tomatoes, Mussels, She-Crab Soup, Baby Beet Salad, Fried Chicken, Duck Breast, Pineapple Upside-down cake. For the highlights the Fried Chicken certainly lived up to the billing and the baby beet salad was a delicious work of art. The duck wasn't one of our favorites but was still good in its own right. All of the other items listed above were delicious. We also took advantage of the specialty cocktails, good times had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern with a Healthy TwistJayEdwardVIPDined on 8/23/2014This menu provides great variety, with vegetables like tomato pie and asparagus/mushroom mix (when in season) often the starring the attraction. I started with the pork belly (tasted great) and then moved to the heathy stuff (tasted just as great). This restaurant is very popular and deservedly so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!ATLgirlkdDined on 8/21/2014Consistently delicious food, though sometimes all ingredients are not listed on the menu. Be sure to ask about any items you're thinking of if you have a nut allergy....Special Features:
- CharmingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/19/2014This restaurant had a quaint charming feel to it being that it looked as though it used to be someone's home that was remodeled into a restaurant. The service and the food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Comfort FoodGrammardadDined on 8/19/2014It was a great meal! The hot house tomato tart was exceptional. Southern comfort food with a city spin would best describe the fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceDonnaVIPDined on 8/17/2014We were in town for just one night for a college tour at Georgia Tech and picked this restaurant based on location and the other reviews. The food was excellent, the drinks were terrific and our waitress was great. Both my husband and I tried their fried chicken. It was delicious. I had the summer peach salad and my husband had the she crab soup. Being from Baltimore, we are always a bit leary to try crab dishes elsewhere because many places just don't do it justice. The soup, however was wonderful. We would definitely return if we are ever in Atlanta again.Special Features:
- Great BrunchCopstadDined on 8/17/2014Really enjoyed the setting and the food. Be sure and make reservations for brunch as it is very busy. Cocktails were very good and Crab Cake Benedict was wonderful!Special Features:
- Busy on a Saturday morningMissFrizzle007Dined on 8/16/2014My mom, sister, great-aunt, and I had brunch here on Saturday morning. We decided to sit indoors, but due to the noise level inside, it may have been better to sit outside. My great-aunt, who is elderly, had difficulty hearing the conversation throughout the meal. The restaurant was busy for Saturday morning brunch, and that's certainly not a bad thing! I enjoyed the fried green tomatoes appetizer, pecan waffle entree, and fried okra side. I tasted my great-aunt's tomato soup, which was delicious, and I also tasted some of the items on my sister's vegetable plate -- the field peas were very good! I would recommend South City Kitchen, but I wish that there were a parking option where patrons could have their tickets validated.Special Features:
- fantastic food and servicedkn1234Dined on 8/15/2014Group of 4. We all loved every item we ordered. I had the fried chicken and it was the best I have ever had. Waiter was fun and very attentive. A perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.