South City Kitchen Midtown
1144 Crescent Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30309Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
South City Kitchen Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fifthgroup.com/
- Phone: 4048737358x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 11am to 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chip Ulbrich
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: South City Kitchen Midtown is owned by Fifth Group Restaurants which also owns Bold American Events & Catering. For more information on catering, please visit http://boldamerican.com.
A word from South City Kitchen Midtown
Celebrating over 16 years as one of Atlanta's favorite restaurants, South City Kitchen Midtown specializes in contemporary Southern cuisine with a sophisticated twist. Combining the energy of Atlanta with the warmth of a Southern home, the restaurant is nestled in an updated, historic bungalow on the city's famous Crescent Avenue. Dine on local specialties such as shrimp and grits, buttermilk fried chicken, she-crab soup, fried green tomatoes and banana pudding while enjoying the view of our exhibition kitchen or the Atlanta skyline on one of the best patios in the city. This truly is dining the way the new South intended. (Please note, the restaurant is not handicap accessible.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
South City Kitchen Midtown - Best Restaurants in Midtown ›
South City Kitchen Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
381 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (231)neighborhood gem (199)special occasion (119)great for outdoor dining (117)good for groups (116)great for lunch (107)great for brunch (105)hot spot (100)romantic (86)notable wine list (50)late-night find (26)vibrant bar scene (24)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (16)Show More
- South city kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014Food was fantastic. Service was perfect. Totally enjoyed and would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/28/2014Whether you're doing a nice romantic evening, work event or dinner with your parents (took my mom this week), it's perfect. Food is always outstanding. Tried the BBQ app this time - delish! Can't pass up the fried chicken and shrimp and grits... I just order them again and again!Special Features:
- YumJosephDined on 10/27/2014Had some friends in from out of town for a conference and South city was a big winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved every minuteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014Would absolutely come back. The menu is simple yet sophisticated and the service was impeccable. Deserves all the rave reviews, we were not disappointed one bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatAwfulVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great as usual. Ivan (I believe was his name) was a great server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Southern foodMerryDrinkerVIPDined on 10/26/2014My friend and I were looking for fried chicken and biscuits, but didn't want something that was essentially Popeye's chicken on a plate. When we looked at the menu, we were worried it was going to be too "uptown" but actually this place strikes the perfect balance between upscale and casual. Service was outstanding - warm, attentive and friendly. Biscuits and cornbread were great, as was the fried chicken (locally sourced, large portions so we split it). The pork belly on scallion pancake appetizer was amazing. Also had a sizeable alcohol menu. This place is an easy place to like all around - for couples, tourists, locals, groups, families... etc. Will definitely come back when I'm in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visited on a whimPrudenceMVIPDined on 10/26/2014really wanted southern food with only an hour and a half to spare in Atlanta, and this really fit the bill. Fast service, excellent food, got to sit out on the porch, what could be better?Special Features:
- Great End to Girl's Weekend!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/26/2014My first visit with girlfriends for brunch. Everyone enjoyed their meal of pecan waffles and chicken...except I've had better mimosa's. We will definitely be returning to try dinner next time.Special Features:
- Excellent Service-Excellent KitchenHawkDined on 10/25/2014South City Kitchen is what every restaurant should be. They have excellent service and the food is delightful. I have a new favorite. Thanks for the excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pork Chop EverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014I had the pork chop which was thick, perfectly cooked and had the best flavor of any pork chop I had ever had. The fried chicken is also a specialty and looked great as well.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSpankyDined on 10/25/2014We've been coming to South City Kitchen since they opened their doors and it will always be favorite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/24/2014I make South City Kitchen one of my stops when in Atlanta, as it truly represents good dining in Atlanta. I love the cocktails and the entrée selections. You cannot go wrong with the fried chicken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GroupbonVIPDined on 10/24/2014We had a wonderful experience with a group of seven. It was a bit noisy but we were at the furthest table back. Our waitress was wonderful and that enhanced the experience. This is a great spot for experiencing southern food if you are visiting Atlanta.iSpecial Features:
- Great Southern FareDatenightDined on 10/24/2014New twist on traditional dishes. Chicken and fish seasoning was perfect. A great meal with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CottonBlackDined on 10/24/2014Consistently Fabulous!! Must get the Pimento Cheese...
- South City Kitchen Rocksdebron229Dined on 10/22/2014We loved South City Kitchen! We were so surprised to see it tucked in between the large buildings downtown. The staff from hostess to table waitress were outstanding! very knowledgeable - we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atlanta "landmark"Steverino55Dined on 10/21/2014The price/value ratio of the food at South City Kitchen is unrivaled. As good as southern influenced food gets. World class fried chicken and Shrimp and grits. Deserves to be rated #1 restaurant in Atlanta. Every dish... from appetizers to main dishes to sides and desserts is exceptional. Portions are extremely generous as well.Special Features:
- dmc3VIPDined on 10/21/2014Tried a risotto entrée that turned out to be outstanding. A blend of cauliflower, apples and watercress. It was a hit.Special Features:
- Great experience of local fareFoodieFromBostonDined on 10/20/2014Everything about South City Kitchen exceeded our expectations as a fun opportunity for two Boston girls to experience the local fare in Atlanta! The menu offered a delicious variety of options. From the appetizers of fried green tomatoes with goat cheese and the pear salad, to the catfish and polenta entrees, and finally to the warm pecan pie, every dish was beautifully presented and beyond delicious! The service was outstanding! I highly recommend a visit to South City Kitchen! You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Exquisite Southern CuisineRDfromCTDined on 10/20/2014The atmosphere was quaint yet elegant. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The presentation of the food was exceptional as well as the flavors.Special Features:
- Awesome ExperienceMoniDined on 10/19/2014My family and I were in Atlanta for the night and we found this restaraunt on Pinterest. A bit noisy if you are looking for a quite dinner, but the food was delicious (omg mustard glaze porkchop). Wish I had room for dessert! This was so amazing if I lived in the ATL I would be a regular. (Did I mention the service was incredible?).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best pork chop, evah!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I always stop by South City Kitchen when in Atlanta. Sometimes it's two years between visits, but they always deliver delicious food with great service. This place has got the pork chop dish nailed! Although I saw a lot of fried chicken dishes heading out to the patio, I always know what I'm getting. I tried the banana pudding for the first time and was really amazed at how velvety smooth it was. Always a favorite. Made me wish I went to ATL more often!Special Features:
- Great fried chicken!AlliePDined on 10/19/2014The restaurant had Southern charm from the drinks, to our waiter and throughout the menu. It wasn't SO local and an institution which made it welcoming and warm.Special Features:
- Southern done rightcolumbusdinerDined on 10/18/2014We went early with reservations because we had a show to catch at the Fox. Waitstaff and food was incredible. We ordered smoked pork chop and the fried chicken. Both were amazing. Waitstaff very attentive. Will go back for sure next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly serviceDillyDined on 10/16/2014I usually love this restaurant. This time it was just ok. It could have been where we were seated which was right by the door. The noise level was so high that it was hard to relax and enjoy the meal.Special Features:
- dmc3VIPDined on 10/13/2014Once again, great food and great service. I had a reservation, but asked to sit at the bar for dinner since it was only me dining. Rocky was the bartender/server. Very friendly and knowledgeable about the menu and specials.Special Features:
- Lovely place with luscious foodFoodiegalDined on 10/13/2014This very grown-up place had great vibes and envrironment. We were seated immediately for our reservation. There was plenty of very comfortable seating in a number of small rooms, but with lots of space for each table. Service was friendly, fast, and efficient but definitely did NOT feel rushed. Server was knowledgable and helpful in assisting us in our choices. Our glasses were always full. Service was ever present but not intrusive at all. It was deft and professional. Loved the meal with many unusual combinations and flavors. Everything was great. Sharing was encouraged and plates were readily provided for same even before we could ask. Would definitely return for another special meal in Atlanta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for entertaining clientssmallstuffDined on 10/13/2014South City Kitchen is a great resturtant for enterntaing clients for lunch or dinner. In the heart of midtown, its southern cuisinea are very delicious no matter what your choice may be. Moderate menu prices, superb food and it's trendy decor makes this resturant an excellant place for casual dining.Special Features:
- Good food in MidtownGuythemanDined on 10/12/2014Enjoyed the food and also the waitress assisted with wine matching very successfully. Portions were also sensible rather than huge which made for very enjoyable eating.Special Features:
- Convenient to Four Seasons HotelDuncanDined on 10/12/2014Walked a short block around the corner for Sunday brunch...noisy, but everything else was excellent.recommended.Special Features:
- RCRCDined on 10/12/2014Love the renovated old Atlanta home. Staff very friendly, fast service, food delicious, location convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceNativeNashvillianDined on 10/11/2014Saw the reviews on Yelp and had to give this place a try. I'm so glad we did. Our reservation was honored immediately. Our request to change to an outdoor table was granted with a smile. Our server, Jesse, was awesome. VERY knowledgeable and helpful. The duck is perhaps the best I've ever had and the wine suggested by the server paired with it perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic & Contemporary SouthernJOmarVIPDined on 10/11/2014AMAZING!!! Where to start, well must have the pork belly, or the chicken livers or... The fig salad was outstanding, get it while they are in season. Entrees are a very tough choice, pork chop was perhaps the best but thankfully there were six of us for dinner so I crould sample the fried chicken, duck, shrimp and grits and trout. Dessert is the same challenge, but again the size of our group helped with that. Banana pudding was barely beat by the pecan pie and vanilla bean ice cream. This is a MUST STOP for every trip we make to Atlanta. Would have gone back for brunch on Sunday, but not open till 11am...guess we need to book later flight next time.Special Features:
- good food, nice decorWEGLDined on 10/10/2014We were interested to try this place since I had heard many people say it was good. That's just what it was to me, good. I didn't have anything that blew me away but it was definitely tasty. We were seated in an area that was adjacent to the patio door and we had constant traffic going by our table. In addition to that, the door had to be kicked open each time a waiter needed access when his hands were full. It was just an awkward spot that might be better suited for a table for 2 versus a table for 4. Our waiter was very attentive and gave us excellent service. I would go back but would most likely try another hotspot first.Special Features:
- Great Southern Cooking.FinediningDined on 10/9/2014This spot is excellent for Southern cuisine namely shrimp and grits and cornbread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still one of the best spots in ATLATLLocalVIPDined on 10/7/2014Took a group to dinner here. Always a great experience. Stylized southern food, well prepared. High energy (translated - loud) dining room. Has a cool vibe. You might even catch a glimpse of a dining star who wandered over from the four seasons.Special Features:
- Good food, noisy atmospherejohnDined on 10/6/2014The food was very good. The restaurant is very loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Southern Cuisine HighlightAdrianVIPDined on 10/6/2014Always worth mentioning that by dinner the noise tends to get very loud, however this time I stopped by for Brunch and was very pleased to find the noise level nearly unnoticeable. We ordered the She-crab soup and their Fried Chicken and loved it. I've tried other entrees, such as the crab cakes and the beef benedict, and enjoyed that as well. Just as what you would expect out of a southern cuisine, the service is very friendly and attentive. This last visit, my entree came out while I was still eating my soup and without having to bring the issue up, our waiter immediately apologized and professionally offered if I'd like it to be put under a lamp. Me being in a good mood wasn't bothered at all and finished my delicious meal happily!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great downtown find!MDchickVIPDined on 10/5/2014My mom and I traveled to Atlanta for a conference. Her only request was chicken and waffles. South City Kitchen was listed as one of the best...and the review was absolutely correct. It is a quaint spot in a quiet part of downtown Atlanta. The chicken and waffles (served during the brunch time), service and ambiance were superb. I highly recommend having a reservation in order to secure your spot as the restaurant was full throughout our stay. A great dining experience and we would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great atmosphereDustin25Dined on 10/5/2014Arrived her around 1pm and ordered off the brunch menu. I was on a first date and the atmosphere was perfect to impress and have casual conversation. Ordered the fried green tomatoes to start off and they were amazing. I had the chicken and waffles and she had the crab cake hash. Both of these were also amazing. The waiter was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The food is a little high priced, but I think it was overall worth it.Special Features: