South City Kitchen Midtown
1144 Crescent Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30309Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
South City Kitchen Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fifthgroup.com/
- Phone: (404) 873-7358
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 11am to 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chip Ulbrich
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: South City Kitchen Midtown is owned by Fifth Group Restaurants which also owns Bold American Events & Catering. For more information on catering, please visit http://boldamerican.com.
A word from South City Kitchen Midtown
Celebrating over 16 years as one of Atlanta's favorite restaurants, South City Kitchen Midtown specializes in contemporary Southern cuisine with a sophisticated twist. Combining the energy of Atlanta with the warmth of a Southern home, the restaurant is nestled in an updated, historic bungalow on the city's famous Crescent Avenue. Dine on local specialties such as shrimp and grits, buttermilk fried chicken, she-crab soup, fried green tomatoes and banana pudding while enjoying the view of our exhibition kitchen or the Atlanta skyline on one of the best patios in the city. This truly is dining the way the new South intended. (Please note, the restaurant is not handicap accessible.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
South City Kitchen Midtown - Best Restaurants in Midtown ›
South City Kitchen Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
373 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (238)neighborhood gem (201)special occasion (123)good for groups (116)great for outdoor dining (115)great for brunch (106)great for lunch (101)hot spot (99)romantic (80)notable wine list (50)vibrant bar scene (27)late-night find (27)scenic view (15)kid-friendly (13)Show More
- Tasty food that can be had for cheaper elsewhereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014I enjoyed my dining experience at South City Kitchen. This restaurant had been recommended by friends. We arrived and enjoyed the very quaint street and were promptly greeted and seated. The fried green tomato appetizer was average at best although the bread accompanying the app was absolutely outstanding. We all agreed that the biscuits with butter were to die for. The She Crab soup really made the visit. I could bathe in this stuff. My trout, while tasty, was overpriced. I have had better for much less elsewhere. My partners Short rib was delicious, but the portion was small and again, was not outstanding for this price range. The Pork Chop served to a third table member was really great and he couldn't stop eating it. This is a special occasion restaurant and I would recommend it for s nice night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have alway's loved South City Kitchen!!!GregDined on 11/15/2014Would recommend to all my friends! The best place in Mid-town to have a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, taste of GeorgiaweelassieDined on 11/14/2014I got the buttermilk fried chicken which was excellent. Perfectly season and crispy, chicken was juicy, the mashed potatoes and greens were very tasty as well. No complaints whatsoever about this dish. Did not regret getting it. My friend got the smoked pork chop which was also very juicy and tasty. We ordered the four cheese Mac n cheese side dish as an appetizer. Very creamy and flavorful with good crunch of breadcrumbs. We were too full for dessert but they sounded amazing. Would recommend getting a reservation for this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodBillDined on 11/12/2014The food and service were great! We were seated in the enclosed outside section on a cold night. When the heat kicked on, it was unpleasantly hot. However, everyone loved their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find!!MusthaveshrimpDined on 11/12/2014This place is a must! The food was great. The portion sizes are huge! I went with a local favorite in the fried chicken and it did not disappoint. Other faves of our table were the pork chop and shrimp and grits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - busy place!KatherineDined on 11/12/2014We loved our meal here - everything was delicious, especially the fried green tomatoes! Very pretty interior, all around a great place for lunch. It is a busy place during peak hours though (t was packed at 12:30 PM - but the lunch crowd died down after a few hours) so be prepared for that. My party had a business meeting, and we were able to hear one another, but this isn't the place for you if you're looking for quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good date before the large cameIluvRyDined on 11/9/2014We shared the pork crepettes and crab cake app. and had the wonderful Pinot by the glass. Yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative presentationsBeauserboyDined on 11/8/2014The menu isn't extensive due to the emphasis on fresh, local product, but I wanted to try everything on it. Very interesting combinations and portion sizes are great ----- not huge ---- great. Our server was one of the best we have had; she asked right at the beginning if we were trying to get to a theater or other performance at a particular time. My niece has some food allergy issues, and our server took great time to explain the preparation and ingredients of many dishes and then suggested what she thought would work best. She was efficient and attentive, but we never felt rushed ---- surprising considering how many people were waiting for tables as we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationBirthdayDined on 11/4/2014I would recommend South City Kitchen! The staff was very kind and helpful with helping me prepare for a large group for my boyfriend's birthday dinner surprise! We also brought a 17 month old with us and they made sure to accommodate us. The ambiance is to die for (very romantic) and overall my large group of 12 had a great evening!Special Features:
- Fried chicken still the bestdonnafrobDined on 11/4/2014We took an out of town friend to South City since she wanted "Southern" style food. She was not disappointed with the shrimp & grits or the fried green tomatoes. But, I must say the fried chicken is still king!Special Features:
- Nice and accommodatingWorst2eatVIPDined on 11/4/2014Special request for table to accommodate a pregnant guest - thankful for their help food was good, limited menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SouthernAtlfoodVIPDined on 11/2/2014This is our mid town go to place when friends from out of the area come to visit. The fried chicken and scrimp and grits are as good as it gets!Special Features:
- Great Southern Cooking in Atlantamrsteve1Dined on 11/2/2014This was a perfect spot for dinner in Midtown before a show at the Arts Center. Crab soup and shrimp with grits-what could be better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fried chicken everMechanicKellyDined on 11/1/2014The fried chicken is perfect in every way, and is the only thing I've ever ordered from there. I have tried all of my fiance's food when we go and everything she has ordered has been excellent. The beer list is good, as is the atmosphere, even if a little noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; great serviceAllaDined on 11/1/2014The food and service were both terrific. The relaxed atmosphere didn't scale back the attentive, appropriate, and thorough service. Each dish ordered (fried chicken, pork chop, salad, livers) was uniquely prepared, served at the appropriate temperature, and tasted delicious. The cocktails were prepared as ordered and each recipient was pleased with their choice. Our intuitive server made sure we were well cared for without being intrusive or falsely friendly. I recommend SCK to anyone looking for a tasty, relaxed, elevated meal.Special Features:
- Always Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/30/2014Chris greets you at the front door with a smile and a genuine effort to seat you where you would be happy! The wait staff is prompt, courteous and extremely efficient... We were headed to the theatre as were many guests. My husband and I both had the risotto, mine with grilled chicken. Outstanding and would definitely order it again. Don't ever pass on the fried green tomatoes. Delicious!!! A buzzing atmosphere, which I love, brings us back and back to South City Kitchen!.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerlisaDined on 10/30/2014We took my son and his girlfriend for a birthday dinner.They had the fried chicken and loved it.They split a mac n cheese and thought it was excellent. In fact they were too full for dessert. My husband had the porkchop and he loved it.I had the grouper whi h was very good.Our waiter wasvery effeciennt. We have eaten here many times and it is always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South city kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014Food was fantastic. Service was perfect. Totally enjoyed and would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!KBJ12Dined on 10/28/2014Whether you're doing a nice romantic evening, work event or dinner with your parents (took my mom this week), it's perfect. Food is always outstanding. Tried the BBQ app this time - delish! Can't pass up the fried chicken and shrimp and grits... I just order them again and again!Special Features:
- YumJosephDined on 10/27/2014Had some friends in from out of town for a conference and South city was a big winner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved every minuteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/26/2014Would absolutely come back. The menu is simple yet sophisticated and the service was impeccable. Deserves all the rave reviews, we were not disappointed one bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatAwfulVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great as usual. Ivan (I believe was his name) was a great server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Southern foodMerryDrinkerVIPDined on 10/26/2014My friend and I were looking for fried chicken and biscuits, but didn't want something that was essentially Popeye's chicken on a plate. When we looked at the menu, we were worried it was going to be too "uptown" but actually this place strikes the perfect balance between upscale and casual. Service was outstanding - warm, attentive and friendly. Biscuits and cornbread were great, as was the fried chicken (locally sourced, large portions so we split it). The pork belly on scallion pancake appetizer was amazing. Also had a sizeable alcohol menu. This place is an easy place to like all around - for couples, tourists, locals, groups, families... etc. Will definitely come back when I'm in town again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visited on a whimPrudenceMVIPDined on 10/26/2014really wanted southern food with only an hour and a half to spare in Atlanta, and this really fit the bill. Fast service, excellent food, got to sit out on the porch, what could be better?Special Features:
- Great End to Girl's Weekend!!!GAPeach4040Dined on 10/26/2014My first visit with girlfriends for brunch. Everyone enjoyed their meal of pecan waffles and chicken...except I've had better mimosa's. We will definitely be returning to try dinner next time.Special Features:
- Excellent Service-Excellent KitchenHawkDined on 10/25/2014South City Kitchen is what every restaurant should be. They have excellent service and the food is delightful. I have a new favorite. Thanks for the excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pork Chop EverAndyDined on 10/25/2014I had the pork chop which was thick, perfectly cooked and had the best flavor of any pork chop I had ever had. The fried chicken is also a specialty and looked great as well.Special Features:
- Never disappointsSpankyDined on 10/25/2014We've been coming to South City Kitchen since they opened their doors and it will always be favorite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/24/2014I make South City Kitchen one of my stops when in Atlanta, as it truly represents good dining in Atlanta. I love the cocktails and the entrée selections. You cannot go wrong with the fried chicken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GroupbonVIPDined on 10/24/2014We had a wonderful experience with a group of seven. It was a bit noisy but we were at the furthest table back. Our waitress was wonderful and that enhanced the experience. This is a great spot for experiencing southern food if you are visiting Atlanta.iSpecial Features:
- Excellent ChoicegapeachDined on 10/24/2014Made reservations here for a girls night before going to the Alliance Theater. None of us had been here before and we all loved it! The service was very good and the food was great! I ordered the smoked pork chop and had banana pudding for dessert. Loved it! Worth the price. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great Southern FareDatenightDined on 10/24/2014New twist on traditional dishes. Chicken and fish seasoning was perfect. A great meal with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CottonBlackDined on 10/24/2014Consistently Fabulous!! Must get the Pimento Cheese...
- South City Kitchen Rocksdebron229Dined on 10/22/2014We loved South City Kitchen! We were so surprised to see it tucked in between the large buildings downtown. The staff from hostess to table waitress were outstanding! very knowledgeable - we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Atlanta "landmark"Steverino55Dined on 10/21/2014The price/value ratio of the food at South City Kitchen is unrivaled. As good as southern influenced food gets. World class fried chicken and Shrimp and grits. Deserves to be rated #1 restaurant in Atlanta. Every dish... from appetizers to main dishes to sides and desserts is exceptional. Portions are extremely generous as well.Special Features:
- dmc3VIPDined on 10/21/2014Tried a risotto entrée that turned out to be outstanding. A blend of cauliflower, apples and watercress. It was a hit.Special Features:
- Great experience of local fareFoodieFromBostonDined on 10/20/2014Everything about South City Kitchen exceeded our expectations as a fun opportunity for two Boston girls to experience the local fare in Atlanta! The menu offered a delicious variety of options. From the appetizers of fried green tomatoes with goat cheese and the pear salad, to the catfish and polenta entrees, and finally to the warm pecan pie, every dish was beautifully presented and beyond delicious! The service was outstanding! I highly recommend a visit to South City Kitchen! You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Exquisite Southern CuisineRDfromCTDined on 10/20/2014The atmosphere was quaint yet elegant. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The presentation of the food was exceptional as well as the flavors.Special Features:
- Awesome ExperienceMoniDined on 10/19/2014My family and I were in Atlanta for the night and we found this restaraunt on Pinterest. A bit noisy if you are looking for a quite dinner, but the food was delicious (omg mustard glaze porkchop). Wish I had room for dessert! This was so amazing if I lived in the ATL I would be a regular. (Did I mention the service was incredible?).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best pork chop, evah!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014I always stop by South City Kitchen when in Atlanta. Sometimes it's two years between visits, but they always deliver delicious food with great service. This place has got the pork chop dish nailed! Although I saw a lot of fried chicken dishes heading out to the patio, I always know what I'm getting. I tried the banana pudding for the first time and was really amazed at how velvety smooth it was. Always a favorite. Made me wish I went to ATL more often!Special Features: