South City Kitchen Midtown
1144 Crescent Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30309Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
South City Kitchen Midtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://fifthgroup.com/
- Phone: 4048737358x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 11am to 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Southern
- Executive Chef: Chip Ulbrich
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: South City Kitchen Midtown is owned by Fifth Group Restaurants which also owns Bold American Events & Catering. For more information on catering, please visit http://boldamerican.com.
A word from South City Kitchen Midtown
Celebrating over 16 years as one of Atlanta's favorite restaurants, South City Kitchen Midtown specializes in contemporary Southern cuisine with a sophisticated twist. Combining the energy of Atlanta with the warmth of a Southern home, the restaurant is nestled in an updated, historic bungalow on the city's famous Crescent Avenue. Dine on local specialties such as shrimp and grits, buttermilk fried chicken, she-crab soup, fried green tomatoes and banana pudding while enjoying the view of our exhibition kitchen or the Atlanta skyline on one of the best patios in the city. This truly is dining the way the new South intended. (Please note, the restaurant is not handicap accessible.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSouthern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
South City Kitchen Midtown - Best Restaurants in Midtown ›
South City Kitchen Midtown reviews from OpenTable diners
364 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (210)neighborhood gem (175)special occasion (120)great for outdoor dining (113)great for lunch (112)great for brunch (107)good for groups (97)hot spot (90)romantic (77)notable wine list (45)late-night find (24)vibrant bar scene (24)scenic view (18)kid-friendly (16)Show More
- GloriaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014We came to South City Kitchen on a Saturday night and had a wonderful time! Our waiter recommended a signature beverage for me and beer for my fiancé. The food was fabulous! We sat outdoors and enjoyed the people watching, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyablemiketDined on 9/27/2014Always consistently good food. My favorite Atlanta Restaurant. Great staff last Saturday night.Only drawback is it is noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/27/2014My wife and I loved it. Every dish was great, and the service good. It is now one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- We'll be backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/26/2014Had a bad travel day with cancelled flights etc and we were running late for our reservation. We called from the car and ordered our dinners before the kitchen closed . Our server filled our cocktail order promptly after arrival and out came our delicious dinners . We had accidentally ordered off a lunch menu but they accommodated my husbands pulled pork sandwich request . Do grateful for a delicious plate of food after a long day .I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Southern Close to High MuseumgoodthymeDined on 9/26/2014We only had one night free while in Atlanta and I wanted southern food. The place was hopping on a Saturday night, but we were seated on time. It would've been nice to have a drink at the bar, but it was full of diners. Our waiter was very helpful and recommended his favorites. We started with crispy fried green tomatoes and a delicious fig salad, which I hope to duplicate at home. Then I couldn't resist the shrimp and grits with a little bite of chili to them, and husband had the very tender smoked pork chop, which he ate slowly, savoring every bite. Sadly, we didn't have room for the buttermilk chocolate cake we saw being delivered to another table. Next time!Special Features:
- Lasting impressionksfoodieDined on 9/25/2014I dined here for a, birthday dinner. Our waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable about everything. She made great reccomendations and gave great service! Everything was really good, from the drinks, appetizers to the entrée. I'm definitely returning in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found it in Trip AdvisorTravelTimDined on 9/23/2014Great serivce - Waiter recommending a great wine and choices to match both starters and entre. I wanted a southern dinning experince. The fried chicken entree was terrific. My associates had the shrimp and grits and loved it. Than came the dessert. WOW - both the apple and pecan was great.Special Features:
- BillVIPDined on 9/22/2014breading on the fried chicken was a bit thick pulled pork appetizer still best on the menuSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/21/2014We were a table of six. Our service was excellent as was the food. We really enjoyed our dinner out. Parking was an issue since The Opera, across the street was hopping. I should have worn flats:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent (but bring a jacket)OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2014South City always delivers food wise. Crab cake appetizer was excellent. Maybe a bit smallish for the price, but excellent flavor. The pork chop entree was also excellent. If I could make that sauce, I would eat it on everything. Service was top notch. My only (minor) complaint was that we sat upstairs and the thermostat must have been stuck at 50. It was frigid in there. The downstairs level felt normal as we were leaving, so not sure if it was just upstairs that had the issue.Special Features:
- Even good for seniors!infrequentdinerDined on 9/21/2014Enjoyed a great meal on the outdoor patio after attending Bull Durham at the Alliance. Loved the fried green tomatoes. Husband had the fried chicken and he loved it and I had the fish of the day - also great. Extensive wine list - had a great Chardonay. Draw back was limited parking and a big do going on across the street at Opera so the street noise was distracting - lots of cars but great people watching. We don't eat downtown often so this was quite fun. Would definitely do it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still greatmikeaDined on 9/21/2014We forget how good South City Kitchen is with all the new hot restaurants. But, even after all these years this place is fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- One of the best in Midtown!sesteph1Dined on 9/21/2014We were visiting Atlanta for a brief stay and had dinner at South City Kitchen. The food was superb - the fried green tomatoes are definitely a must and the catfish was some of the best I have ever had. The fried chicken also lived up to its reputation and will be hard to beat. The service was spot on and we enjoyed our dinner thoroughly! Definitely rank this as a foodie haven for their unique take on dishes.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedSabbigirlinthecityDined on 9/19/2014I was looking for southern comfort food with a bit of a twist. I made a reservation for a Friday night. The restaurant itself is nicely quaint and the staff was friendly. However service was extremely slow, everything was extremely loud and because the tables are so close together, there was barely moving room. It took about 45 minutes to an hour for me to get dinner (Mac and cheese, greens and chicken...I liked the sides better than the chicken). I ordered pineapple upside down cake for dessert. Very disappointed. I would recommend to a friend only because I believe different strokes for different folks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Southern FoodatlgirlDined on 9/19/2014If you love high end southern food I definitely recommend coming to South City Kitchen! Absolutely everything we ordered was delicious. Great for a lunch business meeting! Classy yet comfortableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely wonderfulyummyummyDined on 9/18/2014I went for my daughter's birthday dinner. Every dish we order was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food as alwaysmidtowndinerDined on 9/17/2014this place does a lot of southern food right. Their other options are also good. I've had the duck breast before and loved it so I got it again. I will say it was slightly overcooked, but overall it was still good. My wife had the porkchop which was really good.Special Features:
- Very Good Taste of The South!!!TonesterDined on 9/17/2014Great little gem of a restaurant, located directly across from the entrance to the Opera Night Club. Talk about one of your best "people watching" spots in Atlanta! - It probably doesn't get any better than dining out in the night air on their patio, late Friday Nights! The food is simply fantastic. I tried the highly recommended "Southern Fried Chicken" and found it both decadent and delightful. Veggies were good too, but I'm missing the love for a Sweet Potato Soufflé on their lunch menu. Didn't see their dinner menu that day. Overall, it’s the kind of place that expands the palettes of a few, but certainly appeases the masses with its Eclectic Southern Cuisine. - Enjoy! I sure did!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great serviceCreedmoreDined on 9/14/2014Fried green tomatoes were fantastic. Plan to return soon to try the shrimp and grits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerChillMasterDined on 9/14/2014Took my friend to brunch there as a "thank you". We both enjoyed our entrees very much. She had the Brisket Eggs Bendict and I had the Chicken and Waffles. Nice spice and crispyness on the chicken and the waffle was wonderful. The pineapple upside down cake was to die for!!! Would definitely go back!!!Special Features:
- Best fried chickenJJLINVIPDined on 9/14/2014We had the best fried chicken and waffles here during our trip in Atlanta. Overall service and food was great, and would definitely recommend visiting here for brunch.Special Features:
- Amazing food, service and settingSuttongateDined on 9/13/2014I've only been here twice, but this is quickly becoming a new favorite standby restaurant for me. The food is creative, consistent and tasty. The service is exceptional and fun, and the atmosphere is romantic and beautiful. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MidtownMikeDined on 9/13/2014Every time I return to this restaurant I remember how much I enjoy it. I should come more often.Special Features:
- Great Southern Food!CarojayDined on 9/11/2014The food at South City Kitchen is great. The wait staff is very attentive and the atmosphere is vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South City Kitchen ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Great meal, great service! However it was a little noisy so we had a hard time hearing each other..Special Features:
- Love it!BrandiDined on 9/11/2014I'm never disappointed! Always exceptionally delicious, and the service is extraordinary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastyannaDined on 9/5/2014My friend and I had something to celebrate - we became friends in Spain, and found a nice Spanisch wine on the menu. I had never been to the South before and wanted to try fried green tomatoes, which had a special twist with the goats cheese. The salad with caramelized pecan nuts was delicious as well. For mains, we had the trout and the pork chop - of which the pork chop was out of this world, and the trout was very tasty and left enough room for a desert:) A great night out. Service was friendly. Would definitely go there again!Special Features:
- Outstanding Southern cooking!GroovdancerDined on 9/4/2014Located in trendy area of Midtown, this place is not to be missed!! Known for their Southern fried chicken I had it served with mashed potatoes and collard greens. Portion sizes are generous. Meal served with real corn bread and biscuits. Staff extremely attentive to needs and exceptionally friendly. Dessert was cherry shortcake with ice cream. For the best in Atlanta Southern dining this is the place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Holy Lobster MacszushiDined on 9/3/2014:') :') :') :') Crying tears of joy. We are visiting Atlanta for work, and this meal was exactly what we need after a long day. The lobster mac, fried chicken, and trout were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing PlaceHLEverettDined on 9/2/2014The food was amazing from the Pork belly appetizer to the buttermilk chicken and pork chops with asparagus! The southern 75 drink is amazing. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Southern and Too ColdFoodieVIPDined on 9/1/2014This highly rated restaurant serves real southern food: fried chicken mashed potatoes & gravy, kale, trout, catfish, etc. I wanted to try it but most of the food is really not healthy though most people like it. I did not care for it. However the worst problem is the noise and, if they seat you upstairs, it is too cold from a/c. I was so cold I asked server to make it warmer but it did not happen. I actually had to get up from my dinner and go downstairs and go outside to warm up. If you go there request downstairs seating or patio seating.Special Features:
- A Fail For MeOccasionalTraveler22VIPDined on 8/31/2014Pros: lemonade cocktail, cornbread muffins, she-crab soup, banana pudding, tomato tart, knowledgeable and pleasant staff. Cons: fried-green tomatoes (not made with cornmeal and over-fried), fried chicken (no seasoning at all and over-fried – truly disappointing), pecan pie (tasteless, tough crust, and way over-baked), unbelievably loud, single-stall bathroom (upstairs) with no AC, one group’s table had been extended almost right next to the bar, so difficult to pass by. I won’t be back.
- Amazing BrunchJenNoDined on 8/31/2014The red mule grits and shrimp were amazing!!! Great service and amazing food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good upscale Southern cookingslawRTRDined on 8/30/2014Fried chicken and mashed potatoes were delicious. The fried green tomatoes as appetizer were just OK, not great. The shrimp and grits were also very good. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I decided to have my family join me at South City Kitchen for my birthday as I've been before and the food is fantastic. The food remained "something to talk about" and I will definitely return. I was disappointed with our service as our appetizers arrived before our drinks made it out and since it was a special occasion we would more than likely have ordered a round or two more off the cocktail menu, but decided not to since the drinks came so far into the evening.Special Features:
- excellent servicetorontovisitorDined on 8/28/2014The service provided by our server and by the manager was outstanding. We were impressed by the knowledge of both people as well as their friendly approach to all their guests. They conveyed a real enthusiasm for southern cuisine and food products that I appreciated. The ford was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RecommendedDrdinerDined on 8/27/2014A friend recommended this place and it didn't disappoint. I had the crab-cake Hash which was delicious. Definitely want to go back and try the fried chicken. It's one of the more popular dishes and it looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- layers of flavorsterigalDined on 8/26/2014Shrimp and grits were delicious! Love the poblano pepper in them...yum. They have the best cornbread I have ever had in my life!!Special Features:
- deLISH!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014we went to your restaurant from a recommendation of a friend and we were completely blown away. from the kindness of one of your employees who greeted us as we arrived early and offered us a seat at the bar and a glass of water, to the beautiful and sweet young woman who took us to our table, to our waiter, andy, who was great and really led us to a wonderful meal, and finally to the amazing food itself...it was all wonderful!! i will spread the word and hopefully be back again someday to enjoy another meal with you!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014We ate outside which was nice except noisy. Great food. Had the fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits and fried chicken. All delicious.Special Features: