100 South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.southbranchchicago.com/
- Phone: 3125466177x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Fri, Open at 11am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Paul Katz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: http://www.southbranchchicago.com/private-parties-pages-116.php
A word from South Branch
South Branch is Chicago’s hottest weekday gathering spot, and boldest riverside event space. Envision lavish outdoor parties in the warm summer sun or holiday parties where the sprawling views of snow falling on the Chicago River accentuate the occasion. Big enough to host the largest affairs, but versatile enough to accommodate many smaller gatherings at once, South Branch can handle groups from 20-500. Closed to the public on the weekends, South Branch is exclusively available for private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
South Branch - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Loop ›
South Branch reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (70)great for outdoor dining (61)scenic view (39)good for groups (32)vibrant bar scene (31)hot spot (28)fit for foodies (19)neighborhood gem (13)romantic (8)special occasion (8)great for brunch (7)notable wine list (6)late-night find (3)Show More
- Best sandwich I have ever eaten!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014I absolutely loved South Branch. The atmosphere was great, the service was wonderful, and the food was delicious. I could eat their prime rib sandwich every day for the rest of my life and be happy. Definitely the place to dine if you're visiting Chicago and looking for something good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for lunch in the loopCoachDined on 9/10/2014I booked a reservation for 11am lunch time for our work group. We had a great time, had no issues, and would definitely return again. Service was quick and efficient, food was great and plentiful, and we would definitely return.Special Features:
- Delish!SNorthCDined on 9/9/2014We had a wonderful meal next to the water in comfortable seating and a beautiful view. Everything was great. The only somewhat negative would be 1) it closes early, chairs were being stacked and kitchen closing as our meal wrapped up (reservations were at 7:45). 2) the menu was the same or almost the same as their sister restaurant, Sweet Water which we happened to have visited the day before.Special Features:
- Good food and nice service &patioLuv2eatDined on 9/9/2014Went there for a casual business lunch. Sat outside. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal with co-workersZofiaMDined on 9/8/2014Recently had lunch with co-workers at South Branch. Lovely outdoor dining area along the river, with a good variety of lunch options for even the pickiest eaters. Attentive and prompt service. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesomedmtn2001Dined on 9/5/2014Great experience - from making reservation at the last minute, to being seated on time, to getting in a nice break during the day for lunch at a spot we don't get to visit often enough.Special Features:
- Location / Outdoor SeatingChicagodinerDined on 8/28/2014Nice restaurant / good food / outdoor seating very comfortable / a bit loud / pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot for lunchDonnaHVIPDined on 8/18/2014great spot for luch but they do not take noon reservations strangeSpecial Features:
- Good food and nice outdoor diningjimenzcDined on 8/15/2014The food and service is aways good here. It's hard to get seating for outdoor dining or drinks at peak lunch hour or after work on nice days. There is a great view of the river and downtown buildings along the river.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014South Branch is a favorite dining choice for me! Its great for personal meetings as well as networking. I bring several clients to dine and meet and they always compliment the service, food and ambiance! Great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good time.HappyhourDined on 8/4/2014The place is great, good food and perfect for happy hour.Special Features:
- looking4newspotsDined on 8/1/2014This restaurant was good. The only problem I had was the server was not friendly. He didn't introduce himself, took a while before he took our order and other things. However that wouldn't stop me from returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diner food at high-end pricesBethVIPDined on 7/31/2014Frozen packaged food used as basis for meals. - At least that's what it tasted like. I would not recommend for food. However, their jalatini drink was great if a little expensive.
- Great Place!MangiVIPDined on 7/29/2014Have been to South Branch twice now and love it! Food, service, and atmosphere was fabulous. Will definitely return and recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch Get-Togetherdcb75Dined on 7/22/2014Met a few friends for lunch. Service and food were excellent. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food! Bad bar service...TaxgirlDined on 7/21/2014The food at South Branch is fantastic! Everyone in our party raved about their selections. The service during the meal was great as well. However, after dinner, while sitting at the bar outside, the service was horrible. We waited for service that never came. When we approached the bar to try to order drinks, we were ignored by no less than three bar staff for about five minutes. When one came close and I flagged her down, she made us feel that we were inconveniencing her. I will go back for the food for sure but will stay clear of the outdoor bar for drinks :)Special Features:
- Great FoodSOUTHBDined on 7/18/2014There are many items to choose from..and they were all great. The restraurant is layed out nicely. There was energy in the place but not so much noise that you couldn't hear your friend. Great place for lunch or afterwork. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't remember what I atedgmillsVIPDined on 7/17/2014Having a customer being able to remember every course and taste should be the goal of all restaurants. South Branch has lots of choices, but nothing to write home about or remember. Average food with nice outdoor seating optionSpecial Features:
- GoldenGirlsDined on 7/15/2014South Branch is a great spot to get away from your desk. Outside the noise, South Branch has the most energetic team of workers. Food was great and filling. The only down side of South Branch was the temperature. It was pretty cold inside and the outside temperature was cool as well. Other than that I would recommend South Branch to a friend or group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations Were Too HighCharmingendeavorVIPDined on 7/8/2014It was my first time at South Branch this week as a birthday lunch for my intern. The host was awkward and I had to initiate to mention my reservation, which I made specifically to mention the bday. He asked our indoor/outdoor preference (we chose in) and walked us back to a table adjacent to the bar - an odd choice given that there were plenty of tables with a view open. As for the food, I'm a vegetarian an had one clear option, the basil hummus wrap, which was good by itself; the fries were like the kind you'd find at a 24-hour greasy spoon diner. My intern had soup and a side salad and said both were good. Overall, the ambience was nice and the service was okay - although not a single "Happy Birthday" from anyone. I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Good; too busy for great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2014I generally enjoy South Branch. When the weather is good, though, it feels like they are much too busy to deliver great service. Our servers would regularly disappear and it took forever to get the check.Special Features:
- Wonderful MenuKarenB123Dined on 6/24/2014While they don't have a gluten free menu (I am gluten intolerant so don't have to watch it as closely as others) but I had several excellent choices available to me, and the chopped salad (without the cheese) was excellent. Nice sized portions.Special Features:
- Great Friday spotShivasDined on 6/20/2014Always good food and an enjoyable atmosphere, would return either for a gathering, brunch or lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Safe bet for lunch or happy hourYumyumDined on 6/17/2014South Branch is a West Loop workers go to lunch or cocktail bar. They have a decent wine & beer list and yummy food. They have a great patio along the river. This is a solid spot.Special Features:
- Great for Business Lunchcheech1006VIPDined on 6/13/2014South Branch is a great place for a business lunch. It's right in the loop along the river. The food is good and reasonably priced. The service is attentive and accommodating. The beer selection is good, although perhaps not quite as good some of The Bottle Neck Group's other locations (i.e. Old Town Pour House, The Boundary, Howell's and Hood). Overall, a very good restaurant to bring colleagues and/or clients.Special Features:
- The food is delicious and freshNovaVIPDined on 6/9/2014We meet there now and again after work for drinks and have appetizers. The wine, drinks and food are always great. The bang bang shrimp has a great spicy flavor and the spinach dip is always good. The service is always wonderfulSpecial Features:
- MargeDined on 6/9/2014Great Food, comfortable seating, very professional staff, prompt service, great variety on menu - something for everyone, definite for repeat diningSpecial Features:
- Great Place for LunchChiBeriaDined on 6/9/2014Excellent for business conversation, despite the large open room, it was an easy audible discussion. Always a solid, dependable choice for a customer lunch!Special Features:
- ........111111111111111Dined on 6/6/2014...........................................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dateskingovdajuiceDined on 5/21/2014Good American food menu, energetic vibe, view of river, well-dressed.Special Features:
- The following 272 reviews are from the South Branch reviews archive.
- Second time wasn't a charmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/8/2014I ordered the salmon with spinach and it was quite salty! This was my second dining experience and the meal was not up to expectations. The patio is great for outdoor cocktails.Special Features:
- The BBQ chicken sandwichSB123Dined on 4/30/2014Liked the new menu and loved the new BBQ chicken sandwich.Special Features:
- menu so good just did appetizersCarlaVZVIPDined on 4/30/2014But next time, and there will be a next time probably next week, I will try the rest of the menu! The food was fresh and delicious and the location is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor quality and overpricedLooking4greatfoodDined on 4/24/2014The salad I ordered was overpriced and it was not fresh. The lettuce was wilted and the toppings had a foul smell.Special Features:
- I'll be backFoodFanVIPDined on 4/21/2014I used Open Table to find an outdoor dining spot near the office for a birthday lunch and couldn't be more pleased. The outdoor seating was spacious and comfortable, the service was perfect and both diners were more than pleased with their food. I'll be back soon.Special Features:
- I went with a group of fiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/8/2014I went with a group of five for lunch. Everyone seemed to like their food. My ahi tuna wrap was very good. The restaurant was noisy but that is, unfortunately, not unexpected. Some good beer on tap and lots of interesting bottled beer.Special Features:
- Mediocre visitacadaVIPDined on 4/1/2014It was pretty straight forward food, nothing blew me away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food DeliveryrichDined on 3/18/2014Extremely slow delvering food, close to 45 minutes after order placed. It around 1 Pm so the lunch rush was over.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HIGH ENERGY, LOW DRAGdeanoVIPDined on 3/13/2014First time to South Branch, it was a pleasent surprise! Vibrant Bar Scene......bordering on "loud", but a "fun" Energy. Food was well prepared and "good value"! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Favorite Work Lunch SpotQuasiVeganFoodieVIPDined on 3/11/2014Silly me for not having come here sooner for a meal. I seem to have had a mental block about walking west of Wacker Drive. The menu, atmosphere, service and food are perfect for a work lunch. I couldn't have been happier with my salmon salad and tater tots. Our waiter was very gracious, patient and accomadating. Despite a full room, he never made us feel rushed or like a burden. I can't wait to come back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.