SOB's - Sounds of Brazil
204 Varick Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
BrazilianPrice: $30 and under
SOB's - Sounds of Brazil
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sobs.com/
- Phone: 2122434940x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner hours vary throughout the week depending on show programming.
Lunch Cafe Tuesday-Friday 12:00-3:30 (dine-in or take away)
Every day deal for lunch.
Sunday Brunch Seatings: 12:00, 12:30 - 2:00, 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Caribbean, Brazilian
- Executive Chef: Jorge Lima
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Our full service kitchen features New Latin cuisine, showcasing signature twists on classic Caribbean and Brazilian favorites. Two bars serve traditional Mojitos, Sangria, Caipirinhas prepared authentically with fresh pressed Sugar Canes, as well as, a hand-picked selection of rare imported Caribbean Rums, Brazilian Cachacas, Mexican Tequilas and South American Beer.
- Private Party Facilities: Treat your guests to a night of unparalled rhythm with a roster of talent from around the globe, our musicians, performers, & DJ's fill your night with irresistible styling. Emeril Lagasse "Amazing food & incredible music that's the whole combination!" NY Times 2009 Salsa Fridays belongs to S.O.B
- Private Party Contact: Mariel Gold 8887796002
- Entertainment: Calendar of Events
Featuring World-Class Musicians from across the globe. Kanye West, Bebel Gilberto, M.I.A., Gato Barbieri, Eddie Palmieri, Marc Anthony, & John Legend have all called S.O.B.'s home. Join us for a perfect harmony of flavor and rhythm any: Friday: Salsa Groove, Saturday: Samba Soul Sunday: Bossa Nova Brunch, & Monday: Jamrock Reggae.
- Special Events: Calendar of Events
FRIDAY SALSA GROOVE: Happy Hour Specials, Complimentary Salsa Lesson, & Live Salsa SATURDAY SAMBA SOUL: NYC’s Best Brazilian dishes, Live Samba, & Carnaval Dance Troupe. SUNDAY BOSSA NOVA BRUNCH: Live Brazilian Jazz, open Sangria Bar & 3 course men
- Cross Street: West Houston
- Public Transit: 1 train to Houston and A, B, C, D, E, F & V trains to West 4th.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Mizzi Michael 666 Greenwich St. New York, NY 10014 (212) 741-8524
375 Hudson Parking LLC 375 Hudson St. New York, NY 10014 (212) 645-4084
Kinney System, Inc. 20 Morton St. New York, NY 10014 (212) 242-8451
Central Parking Systems 14 Charlton St. New York, NY 10014 (212) 691-3109
Icon Parking 551 Greenwich St. New York, NY 10014 (212) 929-4547
A word from SOB's - Sounds of Brazil
Partake In "Soul Latino" the taste of exquisite Latin Cuisine. Dive Deep into rainbow dishes of fantastic foods and feel sated with the Sounds Of Brazil. Our Full service service kitchen features New Latin Cuisine, showcasing signature twists on classic Caribbean and Brazilian Favorites. Enjoy a Grilled Ginger Lime Snapper Wrapped In Banana Leaf or Shrimp Sarava over Carnival Rice. Top it off with fruit-flavored Mojitos and Caipirinhas. "The food and drinks seduce your senses putting you in the mood for the sexy entertainment that follows." ~ Taste MagazineContinued
Please scroll down to the Special Events event section for information about Saturday Samba Soul and Sunday Bossa Nova Brunch events.
Calendar of Events
Please scroll down to the Special Events event section for information about Saturday Samba Soul and Sunday Bossa Nova Brunch events.
Calendar of Events
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
SOB's - Sounds of Brazil - Best Restaurants in SoHo ›
SOB's - Sounds of Brazil reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (21)late-night find (20)special occasion (19)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (18)great for brunch (12)romantic (12)neighborhood gem (7)great for lunch (6)fit for foodies (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- SOB's a Brazilian TreatMarcianaBanzDined on 8/30/2014This was such a fun night! We came for dinner and a samba show, complete with a dance lesson, live band, and dancers. We ate, drank, and danced for hours. We ordered different appetizers and entrees and every plate was delicious. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The ambiance was festive and lively. It was the perfect setting to celebrate a big birthday.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The food was good, but could use a little more seasoning to the calamari and the chicken needs a new type of dipping sauce.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Had a great time! Frequent SOBs many times and had an excellent time every time. A great place to take friends and family visiting from out of town, especially during live performances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperFoodieDined on 8/20/2014Love the vibe in that place great for those who don't want to stay in
- Great eveningFuneve3Dined on 8/15/2014Good service, got table for 3 after having reserved for one without a problem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get better SOB's!!!!Pop0809Dined on 8/12/2014I had a good time at the club for the music portion, but the waitress and food was not that great, the selections were okay needs a few more options to the menu, i had the ribs which were cold when they came to the table, i didnt even want to send them back so i picked at the food , my friend had some type of chicken bites which was alright, the waitress was very slow even with the club not being packed at the time I had dinner. then later I went to the bar for another drink and the bar maids were rude, slow and nasty, maybe that night it was a bad day for them SOB's use to be a great spot for dinner but they need to re-vamp a few things and make it Pop like it did years ago! so for now SOB"S should be called "Slow/Slopping on Business"!!Special Features:
- Saw Bone Thugs-N-HarmonyjaimeDined on 8/11/2014Dinner and show? Yes, please. We got tickets and made the reservation for dinner. Not only did we have awesome seats for the show, just to the side of the stage, the food was delicious and our waitress brought us drinks throughout the show. No need to make our way to the bar :) Loved it.Special Features:
- SOB's BrunchGlendaLegalDined on 8/10/2014AYCD sangria, bosa nova music & great 3 course selection for a fun Sunday brunch. Service was delightful. Our group enjoyed pork tacos, french toast, feijoada & eggs benedict. This is a great deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOB'smnbnycVIPDined on 8/10/2014An early brunch is quiet at SOB's but the food and service were good and the small combo who entertained the few diners were very good. Obviously, this place is much more lively at night and probably also at the later brunch times. It is a fun place which has been around for a long time and that speaks volumes in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT!!!JackieGuzman1Dined on 7/27/2014I attended the RnBSpotlight night with Guests Appearances by Dru Hill, Rene, Mario Winan, Gotham Citi, and many more, whom were all Great performers. I Would most definitely go back for another event. Everything was EXCELLENT. From the food to the service, and I can't forget the music, it was Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would never come back hereKrisVIPDined on 7/25/2014I made rervations for dinner at 10pm and was not let in. I was told theres a cover charge after 7pm. Charging a cover for dinner is a bit ghetto and the way the manager treated me was if I was illiterate and lower than him. That's disgusting. He kept telling me that I misunderstood or misread the site when I made reservations so when I showed him my phone he kept saying no I need to read & didn't bother looking at what I was showing him. He didnt care if my husband and I left. Just a low class establishment, so we left and went to meat packing instead.
- Late Nite MusicDraganchyldDined on 7/9/2014Went to SOB's for a show with a few friends. The food was pretty good, the waiter was cool. It was for a live show so the noise level was high as to be expected. All in all a good experience though. Definitely will return again.Special Features:
- HipOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/8/2014Very nice, our daughter sang there with her group Good Girl and had great seats.Special Features:
- Great brunch!xiphzDined on 7/6/2014We had a very nice brunch at SOBs, great service, amazing food and sangria! I wish the music was more lively though but the band was great and played mellow Bossa Nova tunes.Special Features:
- intimately involvedMaheyezDined on 7/6/2014Perfect for every occasion. Met my first date there in the corner of the room. We spoke for hours, listened to great music and connected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Nightluc925Dined on 7/5/2014Very expensive with good but not great food. I did the groupon, and we couldn't even get the dessert because the meal is large and they give a large portion of various types of bread before. The drinks are good but I was disappointed they didn't have any Brazilian beers. The music was great, the dance performance was great, the decor is great, and the patrons were all having fun. A great place but don't go just for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOB was just OK ..... barely!!NotHappyVIPDined on 7/5/2014First timer on 7/5 and possibly the last! Bottom line: food and music were disappointing. While I was not expecting high quality food, the appetizers (sampler plate & heart of palms salad) did not encourage us to continue ordering entrees. Enough said! We were looking forward to a night of dancing. Because we had early dinner reservations, there was no cover charge. That was good since the Samba in the City "band" was a flop! Not sure what they were playing. The dance floor filled only AFTER they took a break. The advertised 8:30 show began at 9:00pm. Band played until 9:40 then went for a "quick break" and did not return until 10:45pm. Automatic 18% gratuity for 2!! Why?? KUDOS to the servers who tried very hard to make things right.
- fun for watching/dancing salsaAAAADined on 6/27/2014The band was great, but the sound was so loud and so poorly mixed that I was glad to leave when we finished dinner. It's too loud to talk. They had a fun salsa lesson beforehand (but get there before it starts to avoid a cover charge, even if you have dinner reservations). The dance floor was full with some wonderful salsa dancing, and an enthusiastic crowd. The food is unremarkable. Go for the dancing. Maybe take earplugs.
- Nice time had by all.ElExigenteDined on 6/24/2014The night was nice. They had tables available but I don't know what happened to our OpenTable reservation. Good thing that we got there early. Food was good. The music was loud in the club but we had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent birthday venueDCDinerDined on 6/21/2014the restaurant had very good food quality, prepared over time (not a rushed job), so lots of time to drink Sangria, and later to dance. a perfect birthday spot, especially for a group - but the couple next to us was enjoying it just the two of them, and they lingered more than two hours. sometimes you lose, sometimes you win when picking restaurants you dont know. In this case, we won.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014I attended for the Mali Music concert. The ambience was great, the staff was very friendly and professional. Usually customer is optional and you are treated however they feel like treating you, but SOB's was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceDeeeeDined on 6/15/2014Our waitress seemed to be having a hard time managing her tables. We had to ask for water several times as well as refills on our drinks. I asked for my steak to be cooked medium well and I received a very well done steak. When I brought this to the attention of the waitress all she said was sorry which is totally unacceptable- she did not offer to get me another or comp it off of my bill. I also asked for more bread for our table and was told that there was no more, which is also unacceptable. The music was good and the ambiance was fine, but the service was less than mediocre and I don't know that I would recommend this place or return.Special Features:
- Happy Birthday to Me!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014Excellent food, friendly service, great band. Can't go wrong with the Sunday brunch!Special Features:
- Kelly Price's album listening partyStar01Dined on 6/3/2014This was my first time in SOB's & at a album listening party, so I didn't have any idea of what to expect, except Kelly Price live! So I made the dinner reservation for 4 without hesitation. We had a great time. The DJ & the music were Great! The only complaint would be each song could've played longer before getting mixed into another song. It seemed like one verse & a new song was mixed in but every song was a great selection! Kelly Price was fabulous but didn't sing as much as I expected. My sister reminded me it's a album 'listening' party & I also took into consideration Ms. Price recently losing her sister... I appreciated her performance even more! The food was very good too. Overall 4 out of 5 stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedLittleItalyLocalDined on 5/18/2014My wife and I were looking for a last minute boozy brunch and ended up finding SOBs. To our pleasant surprise when we walked in, there was a lounge singer and band belting out some great live Brazilian music! The sangria was delicious and didn't stop coming to our table. The food was good, but nothing to write home about. Most of the great time we had due to the servers. The servers had fun personalities and got the idea that we were there for the booze more than the brunch. Overall, great experience and we would recommend trying them out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Saw a great band here called Alma Tropicalia. Made my evening!
- Dancing BrazilOrm63Dined on 5/10/2014Great fun. Our meal was authentically Brazilian. The music that night, from the north of Bihia, wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 303 reviews are from the SOB's - Sounds of Brazil reviews archive.
- family friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014I took my mom to SOB to celebrate her 60th birthday and she had a great time.Mom was very disappointed at first that she didn't a huge celebration;but after SOB she was very happy,she stated that she felt that everyone celebrated with her. Will definately recommend and reserve there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good experienceKrissabDined on 5/2/2014A Very good tropical dinner special mention for dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The hot spotcarter03Dined on 4/26/2014I had the best time at SOB'S, the service was great I only wish I could remember my server name but to who ever she is thank you for the time and the effort.... PS see you guys soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankDined on 4/25/2014Very crowded Saterday night before theatre hour; great after 8:00. Delcious and excellent Mohitos and live entertainment.Special Features:
- KRS ONE SOB'SSaltermiDined on 4/20/2014Came from England to see the Blastmaster KRS ONE! Fantastic evening great gig and great food. Sounded fantastic and the staff were very helpfull in organising the night. Thoroughly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SOB'sNYMunchDined on 4/16/2014They served hard bread & butter, the calamari wasn't hot, the greens with the steak had no flavor, but the drinks were strong & that's always a plus. Despite the food I loved the performances & would keep going based on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must experience!JazzyJessie091023Dined on 4/16/2014I was very impressed overall, and look forward to returning, food, service and most the entertainment was wonderful.Special Features:
- Food and drinks were good!Kimmie21Dined on 4/14/2014Food and drinks were good! Service was fast and efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What I ExpectedkinesisDined on 4/13/2014I've been to this place many times before, and I love it for the performances. This is the perfect venue for intimate concerts. I don't dislike the food, but It's nothing to brag about. Service is good.Special Features:
- DisappointedApril13Dined on 4/13/2014Food- was lunch not brunch Host/ waiter- was rude and non-customer service friendly. He told us that we had too much bread and is we asked for more he would change us...what, was he taking leftover bread home or something we spent over 500 dollars and we are customers who write reviews and had at least 10 friends each ask how brunch was at SOB's (that 130 people that may not come to the establishment. At least not for Sunday Brunch) This was my second time at SOB's and I would only come for dinner or nightlife. Never again for the brunchSpecial Features:
- A night well spent!StrawberryDutchessDined on 3/29/2014I went to SOBs for my birthday celebration n was pleasantly surprised. I had a great time. There was no wait time which was a plus. The food was superb. Sangria seemed a bit watered down. They seem to have one waitress n this posed a problem... The young lady tending to us had several other tables which she was catering too and in my opinion took away from her being as friendly as the waiters/waitresses in other establishments. She seemed flustered for the most part of our dining. The show was good n the after show Caribbean Fever was awesome. Music was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only part i liked sortLove2eat90Dined on 3/22/2014The only part i liked sort of was the band . The food was not good , the service was not good , and for the amount of money i spent there that night i should of recieved something a thousand times better !!
- SOBS for Mardi Gras!SOBSDined on 3/4/2014When looking for something special to do for Mardi Gras, knew SOBs would be the right place and it did not disappoint! The music was great, the food was good and the crowd was very festive .I'm really glad we went there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.