322 East 86th Street
New York, NY 10028Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sottocinque.com/
- Phone: 2124725563
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am-11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am-11:30pm, Lunch: Mon.-Fri. 11:30-3:00pm. Brunch: Sat. & Sun. 11:30am-3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: We will deliver large trays of food from our catering menu for lunch/brunch and dinner orders.
- Private Party Facilities: The entire restaurant is available to be rented out for large parties.
- Private Party Contact: Vincent 2124725563
- Entertainment: Mondays: Live Jazz with "TRES" - Kerry, Marc and Carl. Thursdays: Live guitar and vocals with Aaron Short from the U.K.
- Special Events: Mondays: Live Jazz with "TRES" - Kerry, Marc and Carl. Thursdays: Live guitar and vocals with Aaron Short from the U.K. Please check our web page and visit us on Facebook for special events.
A word from Sotto Cinque
Welcome to Sotto Cinque; a character charm of eclectic décor - sultry red walls, exposed brick and dark furnishings, emulating rustic easiness. Our bar and dining room allow for a variety of dining options and get-togethers. We invite you to an old style Italian dining experience, dotted with ivory sconce lighting and candles on the cloth-clad tables; where conversation, down to earth Italian comfort food, hand-selected mix of music lightly seeps in from the bar, and our service reigns supreme. The new menu screams for hungry guests! The substantial selection of entrées and pastas is not for the shy. You come here to thoroughly enjoy a good, hearty meal. A few new favorites include: Osso Buco – slow-braised veal shank, rich gravy over risotto, and our signature Rigatoni Cinque – with peas and prosciutto in a light pink sauce. Over 70 well-priced bottles of diverse wine-selections from Italy and all over the world, make you look twice, before choosing. Don't forget - we deliver!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sotto Cinque reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- unexpected pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/17/2014great value, neighborhood Italian gem with music on Sunday afternoonsSpecial Features:
- ImafoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014The service was good as usual. I don't like their bread as much as the one they used to have which was more crusted and toasty. The Tilapia francese was more heavily coated than in the past. My friend didn't like her spinach. Still, they were very crowded and continue to have loyal neighborhood customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place for a Night OutphoodluverDined on 6/6/2014The food and ambience were wonderful. Very quaint with more than reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food took too longOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/30/2014We were trying to make the theater and are food took SO LONG! We saw other people who came after us whose food came first. We had to tell them a phew times we were in a hurry. They then offered to give us a free drink and the drink took so long we have no time to even drink it!ni
- Magnifico!PattyVIPDined on 5/9/2014Excellent food and service. Lovely ambience and good value. I highly recommend Sotto Cinque!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUS!KobsVIPDined on 5/8/2014We love this restaurant as the food is always delicious! Tasty, fresh and always nice size portions, they do not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 347 reviews are from the Sotto Cinque reviews archive.
- ImafoodieVIPDined on 5/2/2014Service, tonight, was very slow. The waiter we had tonight, was new and had too many tables.....or so it seemed. The place way waay too noisy! We couldn't hear each other speaking from across a small table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Choice for DinnerbobbiegDined on 4/26/2014Good food, excellent price value but a little loud at prime dinner time.Special Features:
- Still one of my favorite neighborhoImafoodieVIPDined on 3/2/2014Still one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants. It was Oscar night so many people were probably home watching the red carpet. Place is usually pretty filled up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Overall the value is great. The service was very good and the food was yummy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Valentine SurpriseHilarieVIPDined on 2/14/2014We have been going here for years and always love it - it's our neighborhood date night spot. Think it would be sweet to go for Valentine's Day...arrived and ordered exactly what we wanted...and when the check came we were charged for a pre-fix meal which we did not order nor want. And we were told that NO MATTER what we ordered, we were charged for the pre-fix because it was Valentine's Day. I was furious! It is completely unfair to be forced to pay for something we did not order and it was more than what we did order. I am very sad - as I do not think we will go there again.Special Features:
- While the food is not amazing,DinerVIPDined on 2/12/2014While the food is not amazing, it is very good and very well priced. Sotto Cinque is in our regular rotation because of the value and the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/9/2014Pasta and chicken piccata are good; stay away from the veal; pleasant atmosphereSpecial Features:
- I ordered something that isImafoodieVIPDined on 1/26/2014I ordered something that is no longer on their menu. Pollo Genoese with white wine instead of Marsala sauce. This dish has asparagus, mushrooms and black olives and I got it with sautéed spinach. I also had the house salad. Although we waited a long time for the entree, the spinach came out ice cold....as if it was just then taken out of the refrigerator. They reheated it for me and the sauce was delicious. The chicken, however, was a bit rubbery which is not usual. We dined early tonight so the restaurant wasn't too crowded or noisy, the way we prefer it. All in all we still enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantBubbeDined on 1/25/2014We have had a pied-a-terre on 86th for several years and we just discovered this hidden gem. The service was terrific, the bar was good, and the food was so good. The fish was especially good, with a very vast menu, and they are willing to accommodate your special requests. Terrific pasta!! We will be back here often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ENJOYABLE MEALGratefulfoodDined on 1/12/2014Mozzarella carozza, linguini with clams, roasted pepper ravioli, side of meatballs, glass of Montepulciano de Abbruzzo, all delicious! Alfonso and the gang provided us with excellent service, and were sensitive to my girlfriends hatred of garlic! We will be back ! Thank you !Special Features:
- I ordered the salmon livornese,ImafoodieVIPDined on 1/4/2014I ordered the salmon livornese, which is not on their new menu. It was very good tonight. Our waiter was also very friendly which is always nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sotto CinqueOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/30/2013For the price Sotto Cinque was good. The dining rooms was fairly full when we arrived and at the same time a large and very loud group arrived. (I often wonder why the management never said anything to the group that must have been bothering everyone in the entire restaurant) We asked to sit in the bar instead of the dining room but could still hear the group yelling. I thought the food was good - I ordered a salad that was supposed to have been made with Arugula and was Spinach instead but ate it anyway. My pasta dish of Shrimp Scampi was again good but a bit dry. It is reasonably priced and our service was very good, ambience was very nice so we found it acceptable.Special Features:
- Delicious!HappyCamperDined on 12/29/2013This place does not disappoint. Pasta is really, really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedImafoodieVIPDined on 12/24/2013We decided to go for their special prix fixe dinner on Christmas Eve. I ordered the beet salad which was very small and not as tasty as usual. For the entree I ordered their braised short ribs. Although the flavor of the beef was good, it was very fatty and there might have been a total of 5 bites of meat minus the gristle and the bone. The bread, which is usually delicious was burnt and dry. The servers tried hard to please but it was crowded and they seemed over worked. . My friend ordered the chicken dish and said it was nothing special. They have a new menu and the chef seems to be different. When I go, I often order things that are no longer on the new menu but which they will make if you know they exist. Portions are also smaller.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sotto CinqueTheaFDined on 12/21/2013Good food at reasonable prices. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Prices, Great FoodStephDined on 12/14/2013Great neighborhood Italian spot with consistently good food, good prices, and good service. A lot of the pasta dishes are $10-12 and even meat dishes under $20. Cheapest wine bottle seemed to be around $28. The bread is delicious.Special Features:
- Noteworthy Italian getawayRuthieDined on 12/10/2013Comfort and cuisine are yours in this little Italian gem. Not traditionally decorated, it's very comfortable, low lighting but enough so you can read the menu, see your food etc. Reasonably priced, top notch service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanksgiving DinnerImafoodieVIPDined on 11/28/2013We decided to go here for their special Turkey Day dinner and it was wonderful. I had beet and goat cheese salad, turkey (all white meat) with cinnamon sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts with walnuts and butter sauce, cranberry sauce and mushroom sausage stuffing which was all delcious. A drink, coffee and dessert were also included. We all had something different and everyone was totally satisfied with what they ordered. It was like being at home with family because staff was also so accommodating and generous. Food was so plentiful that there were leftovers to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love! Love! Love this place!TheaFDined on 11/23/2013I went here with3 others. From the bread on, this place was a hit. We ordered a cold antipasto platter for 2 which was ample for the 4 of us. The portions are large and fresh. I ordered lasagna. It cost ONLY $12, well worth it. Delicious. My daughter had penne ala vodka, equally delicious. Her boyfriend had gnocchi and he was thrilled. My husband ordered chicken park, it came with a choice of pasta or salad. He opted for the salad. It was a large dinner salad with the most delicious lemon vinaigrette. His chicken park could have fed two people. The portions are large and really flavorful. They had daily specials, too.Special Features:
- Surprise on UESpainfreeVIPDined on 11/16/2013Chose Sotto Cinque using Open Table. It was a great experience. Most importantly, the food was well prepared and presented. The wine list included affordable options. The prices are fantastic. My only complaint was that the pasta served under my fish special of the evening dish was grossly under-cooked. All the other diners, however, were quite satisfied with their food. My dish, itself, was excellent. I would definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Neighborhood ItalianFromawayVIPDined on 11/8/2013Very nice neighborhood place. People are nice, food is good, and prices are reasonable. Homey and relaxed. We'll be happy to return when we're in the neighborhood and want a decent Italian meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went off wheat so haven'tImafoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2013We went off wheat so haven't dined here in a few months. We returned tonight and the menu has changed and the portions are smaller. I was able to order something from their previous menu not listed on the current one. The food is good and the service friendly, as always. Prices on many items are higher too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Find for Inexpensive FoodLeslieavaVIPDined on 9/20/2013Great Italian food at affordable prices. I shall return.Special Features:
- Pleasantly Surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/14/2013This cozy and charming Italian restaurant was exactly what I was hoping for. We were entertaining guests who don't love nearby so we wanted to bring them somewhere nice. The staff was friendly, from the hostess to the waitstaff. I couldn't have asked for anything better! The food was quite good and the ambiance... just perfect! I would definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+Music; B- Food; F- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/8/2013My friend and I went to brunch to support the live music. The restaurant was not busy with about 10 patrons in total dining at that time. The food was mediocre and the service was horrendous. For each item needed, including our initial beverage and food orders, refills, check in on food (egg dishes) which took over 45 minutes, the bill, and other items we had to wait an extended period of time.In the end for each resulted in us getting up to ask the host. There was one 'server' for all of the guests and seemed to be a BOH rather than FOH with no manager. With so many exceptional locations in NYC with better food and service (you can get better service at the diner down the street), there is no way we will return or recommend this location.
- Girls Night OutTruffles413Dined on 8/3/2013I had another great experience at Sotto Cinque! I met two old friends for a Saturday night dinner and it was really nice to take our time and not be rushed through our experience like other restaurants do. The food was fantastic especially the pasta dishes and salads. The size of the dishes are more than fair and the prices are great for the quality. I highly recommend this restaurant and make a reservation because it is not that big of a space.Special Features:
- What a night!SweetMVIPDined on 7/14/2013Sotto cinque is the perfect restaurant for a cozy date-night dinner or a family birthday dinner. From te moment we arrived we were greeted with a warm friendly hello and immediately seated (made reservations). The service was excellent an food was even better. Everything is extremely reasonably priced - even the wine list! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood spot, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/30/2013The ambiance is very cute and charming inside, with exposed brick walls and the feeling that you are out of Manhattan and maybe even in Italy for the night. However after arriving and waiting almost twenty minutes to place a drink order the dining experience went down hill. We finally put in our order for the main course, after trying to flag down the waiter multiple times only to watch him take the order of two other tables who sat down after us first, we did not have high hopes. The waiter was not knowledgeable about the menu and again we waited an abnormally long time to get our food. I was hoping at least the food would be a savior to the awful service but everything was very mediocre. I will not be returning to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Worst experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2013I had been here in February 2012 for my birthday and had a lovely experience. I chose to come back on 06/18/13 for my third anniversary with my husband, who is a chef. It was a nightmare! It took over ten minutes for someone to even approach our table and greet us, the bartender ended up taking our order. It took forever for the starters to come and then when we finished eating them, we sat waiting. It took almost 20 minutes for a soup and side salad to come out; it was not that busy. We were approached by a server and when we ordered he asked for us to point out the items on the menu as we ordered "because it was only his second day working there". They brought out my husband's meal and my food came out over 15 min. later!!Terrible!
- A Good Choice for Father's DayJaneVIPDined on 6/16/2013The servers were very helpful in accommodating our two grandsons, age 1 and 2. Our food was fresh and moderately priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why make a reservation ?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2013I made a reservation but when we arrived there was no table available. We were told it would be a ten minute wait so we waited in the bar area but after twenty minutes there was still no table available in the dining room. We ended up dining at a table in the bar area which turned out to be better because you can't hear yourself think in the dining area of this restaurant.Special Features:
- The service was terrible andJsrock87Dined on 6/8/2013The service was terrible and they were extremely unaccommodating.
- I looooved Sotto Cinque!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/7/2013Definitely a "gem" though I don't live in the neighborhood I'm always more than happy to venture away from mine & I do have several friends who live on the UES, so I knew Sotto Cinque existed & wanted to patronize an UES establishment during "Second Ave. Retail & Resturant Week". Unfortunately we chose another major stormy night to do so--however we persevered. One friend didn't make it & we'd already ordered for him, so we brought him his dinner & though he re-heated it at home, he enjoyed his pasta! I plan to return for their very well-priced, prixe-fixe brunch very soon--acclaimed "best brunch on the UES!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I live in the neighborhood,UESGalDined on 6/2/2013I live in the neighborhood, and walked by this restaurant often before finally stopping in for dinner one evening. I'm sorry I waited so long! The food was delicious, the wine selection good and the wait staff friendly ... and it was clear that many in the dining room and at the bar were regulars. Don't miss this restaurant!Special Features: