118 E. 6th St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sottocincinnati.com/
- Phone: 5139776886x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef : Jeremy Lieb, Chef de Cuisine : Danny Combs
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from Sotto
It is a concept of casual intimacy and communal romance. Sotto is the art of simplicity, a steward of restraint. It’s undressed, gutsy and human. It is fire, meat, wheat, and laughter. Above all, Sotto is Italian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Sotto - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Sotto reviews from OpenTable diners
356 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (247)special occasion (238)romantic (223)hot spot (182)good for groups (119)notable wine list (107)neighborhood gem (85)vibrant bar scene (65)late-night find (45)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- awesome atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Food was mouth watering and the atmosphere was cozy, cool, and current. Loved the underground hideaway feel. I would call it romantic also,but it did get a bit on the loud side , so it's not the quiet type romantic place. But at a table of six, we were still able to talk and hear everyone. Can't wait to go back...food and ambience...aahhhSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLRJ125Dined on 8/16/2014My girlfriend and I decided to go to Sotto and we absolutely loved it. It was our second time there and we split the 35oz porterhouse and it was incredible. And the donuts are a necessity for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticCeleBr832Dined on 8/15/2014Service was excellent, thank you Jessie, food was wonderful, very tasty and lots of flavor, thank you Chefs, dinning area has great character. We will be back. Book well in advance this place can be difficult to get a reservation without planning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014Great service & ambience. Food was delicious & portions were large.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014Memorable and already looking forward to the next visit.Special Features:
- Anniversary night for FoodiesanniversaryforfoodiesDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I love enjoying new food on special occasions. This was a great way to celebrate 18 years of marriage. Great service with excellent adventures for our tastebuds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll love itFoodie1021Dined on 8/10/2014My husband and I love Sotto! Their handmade pastas are amazing and the atmosphere is great. We recently celebrated my birthday there and they were so kind to us, we had a perfect evening celebrating. This place is a must!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Great dining experience...came for a birthday celebration. Were sat in the private room, which was very intimate and great for a larger group. The service was superb and food delicious. Perfect for large group that doesn't mind sharing. We ordered many different dishes and had so much fun trying everything! made for a memorable experience!! Will definitely come backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Pasta dishes have been excellent. Entrees have been acceptable.Special Features:
- AWESOME Experience!KoiBoyVIPDined on 8/10/2014Unique, Fresh, Inventive, are just some of the adjectives to describe the experience. Great menu! Incredible service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MackdDined on 8/10/2014Everything from the ambiance to the food was outstanding! Our server was fantastic and the manager came over and introduced himself as well. A "must try" here in Cincinnati for foodiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlandFoodieGalDined on 8/8/2014I was very excited to try Sotto due to the hype. I even went twice to ensure it wasn't a fluke. Both times their signature dish was rather bland. Topped with a cream and butter sauce. The short rib contained gristle and left a terrible coating on my tongue. I even discussed with numerous of their waiters and a manager. They told me they wanted the food to be bland... (Wait, what????) overall it's a cool spot, but the food falls short. Minus the donuts.... Those were amazing along with the pistachio and caramel dipping sauces. The chocolate sauce taste like Hershey's. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't recommend Sotto to any of my foodie friends.Special Features:
- Go!PRHeroDined on 8/8/2014Great spot. Outstanding experience from start to finish. It's not your traditional Italian restaurant, but the food is authentic and very very good. The atmosphere is perfect for a romantic night out. The only qualm we had was that the music was a bit too loud. Sotto is moderately pricey. My wife and I ordered one item from each course to share, plus a few drinks. Our bill with 20% tip was $120--about right where we expected. Totally worth it. Get the goat cheese bruschetta, get the breaded pork loin & capers, get the donuts for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed - won't be backTurtlegirlDined on 8/4/2014We made a reservation on Open Table and had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated. We were seated in an alcove in the back of the restaurant next to a table of 12 co-workers who were screeching to each other and speaking in their outdoor playground voices. They seemed to have had a few drinks and were waiting for their food. No such luck that they would be leaving anytime soon. We ordered a salad and the branzino fish entree. Nothing spectacular. Ate as quickly as we could and left. Won't be back again.Special Features:
- Hard to hold conversationOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/4/2014Great food and service but --music was WAY too loud
- The chef's table is great !ccurranVIPDined on 8/3/2014THe food , service and atmosphere made for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Unique experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Sotto delivered on all of my expectations, and then some. The service was really helpful in navigating the menu, the food was indescribable, and the ambiance was really cool. Every aspect of the dining experience was considered by David Falk, et. al. I would go back tonight, hands down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mixed reviewsnicoleky26Dined on 8/2/2014This was only our second time at Sotto. The food was delicious both times. My only complaint this time was the music in the restaurant was so loud. There were 6 of us and we had to speak very loudly to hear one another. It was not a great atmosphere to be able to have conversations. And we all ranged in ages from 38-43, so it's not like we are old and couldn't hear. The music was just too incredibly loud. Very disappointed in that aspect but again the food was great. Plus we had to wait about 15-20 minutes for our table even with reservations. It was the first time dining at sotto for the other groups we were with So needless to say, they were a little disappointed....until the food came out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BubblesDined on 8/2/2014There was an added $50 to our bill but LUCKILY we found it. Food was delish, however, our waitress didnt suggest enough too order. Still hungry after dinner. Bummed for that kind of $ not to be full. Very very DARK too. Hard to see the menu. With all this said, i will be BACK. Food was awesome still.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was authentic!ItalfoodloverDined on 8/2/2014The food was delicious but the restaurant is too noisy.
- Special date nightSarahmDined on 8/2/2014Sotto was a great pick to have a nice romantic date. We loved the dark, rustic, candlelit atmosphere. The food was delicious-- he had the split chicken which was superb, I had the ragu which I loved because it reminded of my nana's cooking. I would definitely like to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a suprisebiteshopDined on 7/31/2014Our waiter, who was so good, recommended the octopus appetizer. Did not think I would really like it. It was great! Don't be afraid!! We've always have a great meal at Sotto.Special Features:
- BlahBillywayneDined on 7/29/2014We had to shout to be heard by each other . Some dishes were very good, while others were hohum.
- LetsgooutDined on 7/26/2014We were disappointed. The food was overly salted, the noise level was high and seats were as hard as a rock.
- Great food. Too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/25/2014Love atmosphere. Music competes with conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014The food was terrific, the best pasta we've ever had, including Italy. The server, and other wait-staff were excellent. However, it was very noisy, even sitting against a wall, which probably reduced the volume some. Also of concern to us are the real candles on the tables. The mostly younger crowd probably would not be bothered by the noise or the candles. C'est la vie.Special Features:
- In Love with SottoTwoAt50Dined on 7/24/2014We dined out in style 4 nights this week to celebrate my husband's birthday and this was by far my favorite experience. The food was to die for. Every course was excellent. We started with the goat cheese and fig brushetta, moved on to an amazing salad course that I can't even do justice to with words nor can I remember the name. It had polenta, cheese and a fried egg as part of the course. For the primo course we had the short rib ravioli which just melted in my mouth. The last course we ordered the lamb which was tender and perfectly seasoned. We ended up ordering 3 desserts after dinner but loved the Panacotta the best as it was creamy with just a touch of sour and lovely fresh berries for the sweet. Will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Seth is a great waiter,everything was great. Noise would be the only downside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/21/2014The food was really excellent. We had bruschetta including the goat cheese and honey, and the chicken liver mousse. Also an outstanding octopus starter. I gather that not all the pastas are handmade but the three we got were, and they were fabulous, especially the tortelloni with pesto. The braised lamb shoulder looked fantastic but they were out of it. The breaded pork with lemon and capers was a fine substitute. I would go back tomorrow--but diners should know that it is a noisy place with music and a lot of conversation noise, not a quiet intimate place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and great funKelbellDined on 7/19/2014Excellent food and our waitress, Mercedes, gave excellent recommendations and was very friendly and approachable. Although the restaurant was busy, Mercedes took time with us and made us feel like we were welcome. Thx!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itIthinkofmeselfasafoodieDined on 7/19/2014Everything was excellent. The melon salad and lamb were both spectacular!Special Features:
- SottoFoodiesnoopDined on 7/18/2014Pasta so good. You want to swim around in it eating and smiling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014From appetizer to dessert, we had a special and incredibly delicious meal at Sotto! The service was excellent and the atmosphere vibrant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome dinnerlovetodineoutDined on 7/17/2014We recently went to Sotto for our son's birthday. Our waitress was awesome - very knowledgeable about the menu and answered all of our questions. The food was outstanding and we will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodeaterVIPDined on 7/17/2014our first visit to Sotto and certainly not our last. Our server, Pat, was very knowledgeable and helped promote our fun mood. Had to leave for a show and he moved our dinner along to give us time for coffee and a relaxing moment. Just a nice evening before the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/15/2014Everything was superb! Well done! Thanks for taking such good care of us.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and service, but loudriehlecoyoteDined on 7/15/2014I love Sotto for food and service. Only negative, and it's pretty striking, is the noise level. The music is so loud that it is really difficult to have a conversation. I took a work friend from Seattle there on Tuesday evening and we changed tables three times to find one where we could at least hear each other. That said, the beet salad and polenta are two of my favorite dishes in Cincinnati. I'd go much more often if it were more relaxing and I didn't have to work so hard to have conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical Italian restaurantLAZZDined on 7/14/2014I must start by noting our most knowledgable waiter Anthony. He was spot on with his recommendations and descriptions of the food. The chef is most creative in every course from appetizers to main course and dessert. My wife, son and I shared a number of appetizers, first and second plates which were served family style. After an 11 day road trip vacationing in NYC, Baltimore, Charleston SC, Savannah, Ashville NC and Cincinnati, this was by far our best meal! I highly recommend Sotto!! You won't regret this delightful gastronomical experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Darkly DeliciousmaturepalateDined on 7/12/2014The food was delicious and interesting. Easy to enjoy with Mercedes providing great descriptions and enthusiasm. The atmosphere was loud (we were there early on a Saturday) and the lighting is historically (you will get a feeling of rooms lit by candles only) dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed charm, fantastic foodfutureneverDined on 7/11/2014Sotto is great for a quick bite at the bar or an intimate evening out. The variety of dining spaces lends itself to multiple atmospheres to suit any party. The menu has many stand out dishes and we loved the emphasis on house made pasta, salumi and pickles. The staff was conscientious, kind and sensitive to the mood and tempo of our dining. Highly recommended!Special Features: