118 E. 6th St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sottocincinnati.com/
- Phone: (513) 977-6886
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef : Jeremy Lieb, Chef de Cuisine : Danny Combs
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from Sotto
It is a concept of casual intimacy and communal romance. Sotto is the art of simplicity, a steward of restraint. It’s undressed, gutsy and human. It is fire, meat, wheat, and laughter. Above all, Sotto is Italian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Sotto - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Sotto reviews from OpenTable diners
350 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (265)romantic (205)special occasion (198)hot spot (192)good for groups (141)notable wine list (108)neighborhood gem (95)vibrant bar scene (65)late-night find (48)great for lunch (7)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- One of Cincinnati's best!NickDined on 11/22/2014The wait staff is very knowledgeable about the menu and is very helpful with wine pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/20/2014The foot, ambiance, and service at Sotto were great. However, after ordering two appetizers, two entrees, and dessert, we left Sotto ready to eat another meal. When we splurge on dinner, at the very least I expect to be full when I leave. While the entire experience was excellent, I felt that I didn't get my money's worth here. Next time we will be going somewhere where we get the same quality AND more bang for our buck.Special Features:
- JimbusDined on 11/20/2014Love the atmosphere and sharing all of the different courses with your friends. The selections are really good and everything we've eaten there has been fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a quick bite or a relaxing evening outJodyDined on 11/19/2014We had a pre-theater dinner at Sotto this week and were impressed by the service and attention from the moment we entered the door. While the menu is a bit limited, there were several options we considered. The penne with vodka sauce and pork loin with beurre blanc turned out to be the perfect choices for my husband and myself. Sotto must be distinguished by the attention to detail and emphasis on friendly service. Lauren did an excellent job and was supported by at least 2 other staff members in making sure our food arrived fresh and hot. The assistant manager also stopped at our table to be sure we were pleased with the food and service. We are already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014The description of the menu items was not clear. You shouldn't need a translator to explain pasta noodles in a red sauce.Special Features:
- Never disappointsCityqueenDined on 11/15/2014Sotto is always changing up their menu with seasonal selections. The butternut squash ravioli in brown butter melted in my mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near disasterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014We enjoyed the food and wine. Too dark. My son nearly ate a doughnut with the pistachio dip after the server told us that there were no nuts in the desert. We asked our waitress a few moments later to confirm that the dip was pistachio, and my son spit out what was in his mouth. The waitress apologized (therefore aware) but no further mention of the potential blunder was made. Nothing off the bill. I didn't complain, because it was my wife's birthday and I didn't want the evening to turn contentious. But I was very disappointed. If my sons allergy was more severe, we might have spent the night at the hospital. All wait staff should be aware of food allergies, and Sotto should take more accountability.Special Features:
- Noise levelDeafeningDined on 11/12/2014The restaurant is entirely too noisy. Hard to have a good table conversation. Why not soften the walls and ceiling?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!OpentablerVIPDined on 11/12/2014First time for us at Sotto, it exceeded our expectations! We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RickNoiselevelDined on 11/10/2014Noise level in this restaurant was VERY HIGH. Our party of 6 could not converse with all of our guests. Our conversations at the table were limited because of the noise level of the restaurant.
- A Great Night OutZManDined on 11/9/2014Terrific, creative menu, with a young, vibrant staff that bends over backwards to help you and each other out. Great music piped in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Other options availabldeejal01VIPDined on 11/8/2014The menu lends itself to a simple Italian trattoria offering simple plated dishes with an embellished flavor profile. Overall, the food is flavorful but the plating leaves a lot to be desired. The menu does not mention that gluten free pastas are available, however, if you ask the server for gluten free options, they will be pointed out to you! Very nice!
- DollarjrDined on 11/8/2014Seth was awesome - he thoroughly explained every single dish on the menu and never let us sit with an empty drink! He also taught us how to make some of the newer additions at home. Food was amazing, per usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visitrepeatper4manceDined on 11/8/2014The first time I went with a friend who is a died-in-the wool foodie. She ordered for both of us. Had a problem chosing wine - server brooght out samples of the three we were considering! This time my wife and I went with friends. The menu is "mostly" in Italian. The server took the time to describe EVERY dish. The food was amazing, We were not rushed. We will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Romantic Night OutSuecraigDined on 11/7/2014I spent Friday night at Sotto. Everything was fantastic and the ambiance can't be beat. One of my favorite places to visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still AmazingthistlepupDined on 11/6/2014This is my second time back and if I could eat there every night I'm pretty sure I would. Tried the pork loin and it was amazing so tender and the acidity from the lemon caper sauce set it off. As always the short rib pasta is heaven in your mouth.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014Everything was perfect except the noise level was a bit loud. and I didn't think the music fit the scene. otherwise food, service excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing!AML2014Dined on 11/3/2014Love everything about the experience from the food & the service. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014Great food and ambiance. Wine list is extensive. Doughnuts for dessert!!Special Features:
- Can't miss pastaWoodyDined on 11/1/2014Try any of the homemade pastas and you won't be disappointed. If you are there with a small group, order a few items from each section of the menu and share so you can try different menu options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fan-Freakin'-Tastic!kipsanddipDined on 10/31/2014We went there for our anniversary dinner, and were treated like royalty! Our server was extremely helpful in finding the perfect dishes for us, and he even found a wine that we both loved based on our likes/dislikes in wines we have had previously. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. The restaurant itself is really beautiful...exposed brick, our table overlooked the wine pit, dim lighting, natural wood...just amazing! We already want to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Great service! It was a little loud in the main dining area and our party of 8 had a hard time hearing everyone at our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better everytimeFoodiesDined on 10/29/2014The quiet table was perfect for an Anniversary dinner. The service and time between courses is always perfect. While there we scheduled a family dinner the evening before Thanksgiving. Our kind of place.Special Features:
- Few wordsSeddyDined on 10/27/2014WOW- everything, WOW- Service, food, drinks, menu.Special Features:
- great atmosphereblody2525Dined on 10/26/2014place was great, very friendly, great atmosphere, very romantic, over all excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cincy dinerwestsidedinerVIPDined on 10/26/2014Wonderful service, incredible food. Will most certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!ilove2eatDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant really met my expectations, especially being a sister company to Boca. The food was really good. I have to say the best things we tried were the goat cheese and honey bruscetta, the Fusilli bolognese, the Branzino, and the doughnuts for dessert. The restaurant was dimly light and a little noisy giving it a rustic cellar feel. Our server was awesome and made several recommendations. A must try in Cincinnati.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of this world!drfoodieDined on 10/25/2014We had been recommended Sotto by Cincinnati locals before we came into town last year but could not get reservations at that last minute. This year since it was s special occasion we booked ahead of time and boy was it worth it! The food and service were out of this world : fresh ingredients served simply and beautifully. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/25/2014We thoroughly enjoyed Sotto. The atmosphere and service were top notch; attentive, but understated. The food simple but outstanding, it reminded me of the early simplicity Mario Batali brought to life on Molto Mario. The grilled Blue Oven Bakery bread was so good, and the textures of the house made pasta were magical. Then wrapping up with the donuts that were as soft as clouds. We've already booked our next night to Sotto. Top notch night out.Special Features:
- LOVE it!YummyinDenverDined on 10/25/2014Amazing experience at Sotto. Fabulous service, ridiculously delicious food, great options. Only thing I could possibly say was "bad" is that it is very dark...but that definitely adds to the ambiance so nothing I would change. Recommended 100%!Special Features:
- CharDined on 10/24/2014We were celebrating a birthday; everything was really good. Our experience was enhanced by our waiter, Seth. It was our first time dining at Soto, he explained everything and made great suggestions. He is a plus for the restaurant. We will all definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Food great, but too loud, darkIrishAlwaysDined on 10/24/2014We sat at a perimeter "barrel" style booth which were even more dimly lit than others. It was so dark you could not possibly read the menu. Server suggested that we get the flashlight app from apple and use that (?), when she figured out that was impractical to ask of us we were brought a candle which made it possible to read. Strange dichotomy of very "low light" ambiance and very loud rock music throughout. So it can't hit the "romantic" either. Very beautiful reclaimed wood and stone on walls, but could barely be enjoyed in poor light. Place was empty at 5:30 but we were told would be jammed in 10 minutes. Many folks must have ditched their reservations. Still much less than half full when we left at 7:00pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SottoAudreybgDined on 10/23/2014Beautiful restaurant and excellent service. Menu is very limited.Special Features:
- So goodKindleVIPDined on 10/22/2014Just go. You can not go wrong with any aspect of the evening. Wonderful. It is loud though which may bother some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it hereheroVIPDined on 10/20/2014Totally awesome place for wonderful food, wine and conversation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvinlfDined on 10/19/2014I was so disappointed:( Im not one to complain at all so I feel bad to be 'Debbie downer' but I didnt love it in an instant!We walked in, was seated right away, which was nice.my husband and I tried to talk to each other but it was way too noisy . Our waitress wasn't having a good day( hey, we all have bad days). We ordered the goat cheese&honey appetizer, not impressed. Dinner, short rib pasta, didn't love that either:( I was so bummed because literally everyone that I talked to prior to going couldn't say enough about this place.the only thing that I can rave about is their doughnuts (pretty yummy).Im not completely set against trying it again but it definitely didnt knock my heels off!
- First time at Sotto's exellentMareDined on 10/19/2014We had been trying to get a reservation for a while and finally enjoyed a great evening at Sotto's. The menu is a bit difficult as many terms were not easily recognizable, however our waitress was very knowledgeable and explained things in great detail. She also made a few recommendations that we took, and we were not led astray. Food was excellent and we had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite Italian restaurantLuv2dineDined on 10/19/2014So impressed! I loved eveything about Sotto. The Italian Pinot Grigio was the best I ever had, and perfect for my birthday dinner with my husband. We had the tuna bruschetta (mmm!), the melon antipasti (yummy), the short rib cappellacci (wow), the aglio olio (just right), and the chocolate budino (nothing better!) by candlelight at a side table by a drawn curtain. It took us away...for a nice little while, anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sotto First Night OutCYB88Dined on 10/18/2014Being new to the area and not knowing what to expect in the area Sotto is a very nice pearl to find. Starting at the entrance you could tell it would be unique. What looks like a cellar door you go further down and you get a very homey feel from the place. You can see the pipes above you to give you that cellar feel which I personally enjoyed. You are greeted at your table to a legitimate candle (not an electric one that is not classy at all), and some goblet looking wine classes which are fun to look at. For food we had 2 bruschetta dishes (goat cheese and hazelnut and a chicken liver mousse), while the mains were good they were overshadowed by the ricotta donuts. A stunning dish. A true gem in the midwest!Special Features:
- Warm, delicious, and charmingLindaDined on 10/18/2014We have been regular customers over the years at the other two rest., Nada, and Boca. Both of which make sure that service is personalized, on time, and correct, which in turn makes you feel very special regardless of your budget. This is the first time we have been at Sotto's with no exception to service. The food was always the freshest it could be, and pasta made on site was a real plus. Great place as far as atmosphere, very charming and rustic. It is a sure revisit, although reservations are really tough for particular time frames sometimes, but well worth the wait.Special Features: