118 E. 6th St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sottocincinnati.com/
- Phone: 5139776886x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef : Jeremy Lieb, Chef de Cuisine : Danny Combs
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from Sotto
It is a concept of casual intimacy and communal romance. Sotto is the art of simplicity, a steward of restraint. It’s undressed, gutsy and human. It is fire, meat, wheat, and laughter. Above all, Sotto is Italian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Sotto - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Sotto reviews from OpenTable diners
350 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (260)romantic (213)special occasion (210)hot spot (180)good for groups (135)notable wine list (110)neighborhood gem (86)vibrant bar scene (61)late-night find (46)great for lunch (4)scenic view (4)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Love it hereheroVIPDined on 10/20/2014Totally awesome place for wonderful food, wine and conversation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at Sotto's exellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We had been trying to get a reservation for a while and finally enjoyed a great evening at Sotto's. The menu is a bit difficult as many terms were not easily recognizable, however our waitress was very knowledgeable and explained things in great detail. She also made a few recommendations that we took, and we were not led astray. Food was excellent and we had a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite Italian restaurantLuv2dineDined on 10/19/2014So impressed! I loved eveything about Sotto. The Italian Pinot Grigio was the best I ever had, and perfect for my birthday dinner with my husband. We had the tuna bruschetta (mmm!), the melon antipasti (yummy), the short rib cappellacci (wow), the aglio olio (just right), and the chocolate budino (nothing better!) by candlelight at a side table by a drawn curtain. It took us away...for a nice little while, anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sotto First Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Being new to the area and not knowing what to expect in the area Sotto is a very nice pearl to find. Starting at the entrance you could tell it would be unique. What looks like a cellar door you go further down and you get a very homey feel from the place. You can see the pipes above you to give you that cellar feel which I personally enjoyed. You are greeted at your table to a legitimate candle (not an electric one that is not classy at all), and some goblet looking wine classes which are fun to look at. For food we had 2 bruschetta dishes (goat cheese and hazelnut and a chicken liver mousse), while the mains were good they were overshadowed by the ricotta donuts. A stunning dish. A true gem in the midwest!Special Features:
- Warm, delicious, and charmingLindaDined on 10/18/2014We have been regular customers over the years at the other two rest., Nada, and Boca. Both of which make sure that service is personalized, on time, and correct, which in turn makes you feel very special regardless of your budget. This is the first time we have been at Sotto's with no exception to service. The food was always the freshest it could be, and pasta made on site was a real plus. Great place as far as atmosphere, very charming and rustic. It is a sure revisit, although reservations are really tough for particular time frames sometimes, but well worth the wait.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The most flavorful restaurant ever! Wonderful, wonderful. I have eaten in some of finest restaurants in the country from CA to NY and Sotto's ranks right up there with the best.Special Features:
- Great foodfairVIPDined on 10/17/2014Food was excellent...however portions are small... noise level was high. We had great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great 2nd Anniversary1T0J1D3Dined on 10/13/2014My wife and I enjoyed our second anniversary dinner at Sotto a couple of days ago. It was a darker, but cozy atmosphere with low noise levels and pleasant staff. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu, as well as the wine list. Everything was *very* tasty, from our food (great for sharing multiple smaller plates) to our cocktails and wine. I would gladly recommend this restaurant to friend or family, and will return soon to try out the lunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent Food!sakramer2004Dined on 10/11/2014We arrived at the restaurant 15 minutes prior to our reservation time and they seated us right away. We were "newbies" at this restaurant and the waitress was very helpful in assissting us to read the menu. We ordered 4 dishes plus dessert and shared the plates. The plates are small and sharable for two people, but the taste is impecable. The Plalenta is amazing, breaded pork loin with fusilli bologness is magnificent. And don't forget the donut holes......gooey goodness in the middle with side of 3 sauces to dip. This is an upscale Italian restaurant with lots of flavors in the dishes. I highly recommend this restaurant for a night out. Reservations are a must.Special Features:
- foodiefriendDined on 10/11/2014Although the noise level was very loud from all the people present that evening, our group of 4 had a very enjoyable dining experience. The waiters were attentive but did their job 'behind the scenes' very well because we were very engrossed in conversation. The waiter suggested we get several of each course to share and we found that to be a good recommendation. The food was all prepared very well and very delicious. Hard to name a favorite because they were all so good, but the fusilli with bolognese may be it. Italian food raised to an art form. As a person who makes pasta from scratch, I was disappointed that no one was making it that night to observe from the viewing window. It gives me another excuse to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this PlaceBEANDined on 10/10/2014Menu is short but oh so sweet! Shared plates with friends and each plate was better than the last.... Melon salad and ricotta donuts are a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014We took our time eating and everything was served and prepared perfectly. A little more easy going than the mother restaurant upstairs, but the food is truly amazing...and you get to be underground literally. Seth was our server, and was a pro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite in Cincinnatieat2eatVIPDined on 10/9/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Sotto -- great food and a knowledgable waiter. The house made pastas were near perfect as was the breaded pork tenderloin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skinnermjVIPDined on 10/9/2014We have been to Sotto numerous times and always order the bistecca. Unfortunately, this time the bistecca was awful. It was cold, undercooked and inedible. Very disappointing. We pray this was an off night.
- Resaturant for CeliacsDJC1Dined on 10/8/2014I have celiac disease and can usually find a salad to eat when going out to a nice dinner. I would highly recommend Sotto's if you do have celiac and are looking for a nice place to eat. While it's a little pricey, the food is awesome and the staff was highly knowledgeable on celiac disease. In fact, the waiter said that they take all food allergies seriously. I was able to get gluten free pasta and it was delicious and I was told that none of my food came in contact with any of the gluten food. I would definitely recommend Sotto for dinner for anyone looking for a nice dinner experience out.Special Features:
- Consistently greatStash32VIPDined on 10/6/2014Enjoyed a Monday night dinner around 8 PM. The place was packed, but the service was excellent at both the bar and table. Had the pork loin for the first time (recommended by the lady seated next to me at the bar) and it was indeed fabulous. Add that to the other menu items we love, like the short rib ravioli and other pasta dishes, make this place a winner. Servers, hostesses, and hosts couldn't be nicerSpecial Features:
- lovetoeatlovetoeatDined on 10/4/2014we had a wonderful evening had family with us who had not been they loved itSpecial Features:
- Terrificjdm00VIPDined on 10/3/2014Great food and great atmosphere. The service was top notch. They even found a sombrero for a member of our party who was having a birthday when I jokingly suggested they bring one as part of a birthday celebration. Everything and everyone went above and beyond. Because of the space and popularity, it can be quite noisy. But that just adds to the wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:
- OutstandingFantasticDined on 10/1/2014Food, service, ambience....all outstanding. Recommended highly.Special Features:
- Enjoyable EveningLike2EatDined on 9/29/2014The staff was attentive and friendly and the food kept your taste buds alert. It was a little loud but that didn't bother us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed everything about dinnerKatieBDined on 9/28/2014Sotto is a great before or after a play spot for casual Italian dining.Special Features:
- Exactly what we wantedGreaseonDined on 9/27/2014Sotto was a great experience all around. We went for my husband and his brother's birthday and got what we were looking for. The dimmer feel with the candlesticks on the tables was romantic. Loved the carafes of water on the tables so we could fill as needed in between the freely flowing wine. The service was outstanding, and food was delicious with just right portions. I would definitely recommend to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely, the best! Love Sotto!!wrathieDined on 9/27/2014We have been here on several occasions and love it! The service is great and the food is to die for! We love to cook and go out to eat. The chefs at this restaurant are amazing...to say the least!! Honestly, it is simple food but made with great care and attention to detail...we had dinner on Saturday night and were still talking about it on Sunday afternoon. It's that good! The bruschetta appetizers were great, then the bread salad - YUM! We had the pepper pasta, the pesto dish and the pork at our table. All was delicious!! Don't forget to order the donuts for dessert - a must every time! Enjoy! You won't be sorry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love SottoLunchGuyDined on 9/26/2014My second visit to Sotto and enjoyed it once again. Had the short ribs ravioli pasta and loved it. My friend had the pork loin and it was great as well. William was our server and he did a great job. Knows the restaurant and the menu well and had good recommendations. We sat in the back room which was very quiet - I prefer to sit in the bar area or the main part of the restaurant - didn't care for the back room. If you want a very quiet dinner or have a group, the back room would work well, however. Think it would be good to add a few specials to the menu weekly or to expand the menu/change it a bit. Hadn't been there in 9 months and although I haven't tried everything on the menu, would like to see some updates/additions from time-to-time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect EveningNparker810Dined on 9/26/2014My wife and I had been wanting to try Sotto for quite some time, and it was everything and more than we expected. The ambience of the restaurant creates an intimate and perfect atmosphere. I have never experienced service from a restaurant's staff like I did from Sotto. Our waitress was not only knowledgeable of the menu, but could describe each item with such detail it made me feel like I was watching the Food Network. Our waitress, Alexa I beleive was her name, helped us build a memorable meal paired with some wonderful wine. We cannot recommend Sotto enough. If you like food, wine, and a unique setting, Sotto is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/24/2014We had a group of 14 business people and we did the family styled dining and it was an awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candlelit dinner+Italian=FabulousLuckyInKentuckyDined on 9/24/2014I love this place. I tried something from each section of the menu except anti pasta. The breaded pork loin was delicious--so tender and tasty. I had a glass of Pinot Grigio, which paired nicely with the entire meal. Go here for a date or special occasion and you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- TheKingsGirlDined on 9/23/2014This was my first time to Sotto after returning back to Cincinnati from the Northeast. What a great addition to the Cincinnati restaurant world. We had to get a reservation very early at 5:15 to book a table. I was meeting a long time friend I haven't seen in 3 years, who was in town from New York and I was concerned we would be rushed along. Boy, was I surprised. Sotto took care of us and treated us like Queens. I had the most delectable, delightful, wonderful experience underscored by the fabulous food, wine, and service. The food and wine--was amazing, amazing, amazing from start to finish---the bruschetta, salad, ravioli and the donut balls. Delectable. Can't wait to get back and delight might taste buds again!Special Features:
- Great serviceBentleyVIPDined on 9/22/2014Service was great, food was great, served at good intervals so that we could enjoy it all. I asked our waiter to recommended a wine that would accompany the meal I ordered and did so very well.Special Features:
- Good except for the last dropEatandeatandeatandeatDined on 9/20/2014Excellent food. Superb menu knowledge by the server. Attentive staff during the meal. Server disappeared after dessert and we sat for about 20 minutes without drinks, a check or anyone stopping by. Left an unfortunate bad taste, by I'm sure it was just a one-off occurrence (hopefully). We weren't wowed by her absence. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Night SpotHgillispieDined on 9/19/2014Sotto had great ambience and drinks. I was a little disappointed with the quality of food. We had 2 different pasta dishes that were underwhelming. The entree presentation was also pretty basic. I would come again with friends for drinks or dessert but I wouldn't recommend for dinner.Special Features:
- Superb!TerraMurrayDined on 9/17/2014Firstly, our waiter was on point!...extremely knowledgeable of the entire menu and provided is with great suggestions. The atmosphere is classy, rustic elegant and enjoyable. The food was more than great and the price was unbeatable. I highly recommend Sotto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening at SottoNotafoodieDined on 9/16/2014My wife and I had a wonderful meal at Sotto. Every plate was perfect from the bruschetta thru to the doughnuts. Our server was top notch and we loved the ambiance. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerriOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014This was our 1st of many evenings at Sotto. Our server Seth was fantastic and explained the menu in just the right amount of detail. He also made great suggestions on wine pairing. We had a table of four and ordered two (family style) of every course and it was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrate!MeetAndEatDined on 9/15/2014Celebrating our anniversary was wonderful at Sotto. Lights are low so very romantic and servers are very knowledgeable and able to make great recommendations. Food was amazing! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pastalover13WineMe1Dined on 9/14/2014We had excellent service, and our server was very knowledgeable about the menu. We shared tastes of each other's food and ended up bringing home leftovers. It's one of favorite new restaurants!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Food was very tasty. Size of some portions were small, especially the salami appetizer which was $21 for a ridiculous small serving of shaved cured meats for 4-6 people which really was a single serving. Quality of food & service was very good, however. Noise level from music was too loud, so based on all the other comments I have read about the noise, consider turning it down a few notches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crazy4foodVIPDined on 9/12/2014Service was quick and friendly, food was ok but notting to write home about (Nicola's is much better), restaurant decor was great and music was superb!! (Arctic Monkeys, Led Zeppelin, The Ramones anyone?). Will go one more time to give food a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KateKateDined on 9/12/2014Had a great evening at Sotto with some good friends. Great atmosphere, funny, upbeat and very good waitress! Fabulous food will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum, yum, yum!!!CincinnatiYumVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had an excellent meal at Sotto. We were seated at one of the half-round booths lining the wall in the bar area. The booth was large enough for a group of six, so the two of us were perfectly comfortable. The people watching was fun, and the food was excellent. The melon and prosciutto salad was fantastic - an addictive blend of sweet and salty goodness. Each of our pasta courses was perfectly prepared and flavorful. We'll definitely be going back!Special Features: