118 E. 6th St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sottocincinnati.com/
- Phone: 5139776886x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Executive Chef : Jeremy Lieb, Chef de Cuisine : Danny Combs
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
A word from Sotto
It is a concept of casual intimacy and communal romance. Sotto is the art of simplicity, a steward of restraint. It’s undressed, gutsy and human. It is fire, meat, wheat, and laughter. Above all, Sotto is Italian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Sotto - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Sotto reviews from OpenTable diners
364 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (266)special occasion (231)romantic (228)hot spot (195)good for groups (136)notable wine list (113)neighborhood gem (89)vibrant bar scene (67)late-night find (48)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Enjoyable EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/29/2014The staff was attentive and friendly and the food kept your taste buds alert. It was a little loud but that didn't bother us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed everything about dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Sotto is a great before or after a play spot for casual Italian dining.Special Features:
- Exactly what we wantedGreaseonDined on 9/27/2014Sotto was a great experience all around. We went for my husband and his brother's birthday and got what we were looking for. The dimmer feel with the candlesticks on the tables was romantic. Loved the carafes of water on the tables so we could fill as needed in between the freely flowing wine. The service was outstanding, and food was delicious with just right portions. I would definitely recommend to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely, the best! Love Sotto!!wrathieDined on 9/27/2014We have been here on several occasions and love it! The service is great and the food is to die for! We love to cook and go out to eat. The chefs at this restaurant are amazing...to say the least!! Honestly, it is simple food but made with great care and attention to detail...we had dinner on Saturday night and were still talking about it on Sunday afternoon. It's that good! The bruschetta appetizers were great, then the bread salad - YUM! We had the pepper pasta, the pesto dish and the pork at our table. All was delicious!! Don't forget to order the donuts for dessert - a must every time! Enjoy! You won't be sorry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love SottoLunchGuyDined on 9/26/2014My second visit to Sotto and enjoyed it once again. Had the short ribs ravioli pasta and loved it. My friend had the pork loin and it was great as well. William was our server and he did a great job. Knows the restaurant and the menu well and had good recommendations. We sat in the back room which was very quiet - I prefer to sit in the bar area or the main part of the restaurant - didn't care for the back room. If you want a very quiet dinner or have a group, the back room would work well, however. Think it would be good to add a few specials to the menu weekly or to expand the menu/change it a bit. Hadn't been there in 9 months and although I haven't tried everything on the menu, would like to see some updates/additions from time-to-time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect EveningNparker810Dined on 9/26/2014My wife and I had been wanting to try Sotto for quite some time, and it was everything and more than we expected. The ambience of the restaurant creates an intimate and perfect atmosphere. I have never experienced service from a restaurant's staff like I did from Sotto. Our waitress was not only knowledgeable of the menu, but could describe each item with such detail it made me feel like I was watching the Food Network. Our waitress, Alexa I beleive was her name, helped us build a memorable meal paired with some wonderful wine. We cannot recommend Sotto enough. If you like food, wine, and a unique setting, Sotto is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/24/2014We had a group of 14 business people and we did the family styled dining and it was an awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Candlelit dinner+Italian=FabulousLuckyInKentuckyDined on 9/24/2014I love this place. I tried something from each section of the menu except anti pasta. The breaded pork loin was delicious--so tender and tasty. I had a glass of Pinot Grigio, which paired nicely with the entire meal. Go here for a date or special occasion and you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- TheKingsGirlDined on 9/23/2014This was my first time to Sotto after returning back to Cincinnati from the Northeast. What a great addition to the Cincinnati restaurant world. We had to get a reservation very early at 5:15 to book a table. I was meeting a long time friend I haven't seen in 3 years, who was in town from New York and I was concerned we would be rushed along. Boy, was I surprised. Sotto took care of us and treated us like Queens. I had the most delectable, delightful, wonderful experience underscored by the fabulous food, wine, and service. The food and wine--was amazing, amazing, amazing from start to finish---the bruschetta, salad, ravioli and the donut balls. Delectable. Can't wait to get back and delight might taste buds again!Special Features:
- Great serviceBentleyVIPDined on 9/22/2014Service was great, food was great, served at good intervals so that we could enjoy it all. I asked our waiter to recommended a wine that would accompany the meal I ordered and did so very well.Special Features:
- Good except for the last dropEatandeatandeatandeatDined on 9/20/2014Excellent food. Superb menu knowledge by the server. Attentive staff during the meal. Server disappeared after dessert and we sat for about 20 minutes without drinks, a check or anyone stopping by. Left an unfortunate bad taste, by I'm sure it was just a one-off occurrence (hopefully). We weren't wowed by her absence. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Night SpotHgillispieDined on 9/19/2014Sotto had great ambience and drinks. I was a little disappointed with the quality of food. We had 2 different pasta dishes that were underwhelming. The entree presentation was also pretty basic. I would come again with friends for drinks or dessert but I wouldn't recommend for dinner.Special Features:
- Superb!TerraMurrayDined on 9/17/2014Firstly, our waiter was on point!...extremely knowledgeable of the entire menu and provided is with great suggestions. The atmosphere is classy, rustic elegant and enjoyable. The food was more than great and the price was unbeatable. I highly recommend Sotto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening at SottoNotafoodieDined on 9/16/2014My wife and I had a wonderful meal at Sotto. Every plate was perfect from the bruschetta thru to the doughnuts. Our server was top notch and we loved the ambiance. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerriOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014This was our 1st of many evenings at Sotto. Our server Seth was fantastic and explained the menu in just the right amount of detail. He also made great suggestions on wine pairing. We had a table of four and ordered two (family style) of every course and it was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrate!MeetAndEatDined on 9/15/2014Celebrating our anniversary was wonderful at Sotto. Lights are low so very romantic and servers are very knowledgeable and able to make great recommendations. Food was amazing! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pastalover13WineMe1Dined on 9/14/2014We had excellent service, and our server was very knowledgeable about the menu. We shared tastes of each other's food and ended up bringing home leftovers. It's one of favorite new restaurants!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Food was very tasty. Size of some portions were small, especially the salami appetizer which was $21 for a ridiculous small serving of shaved cured meats for 4-6 people which really was a single serving. Quality of food & service was very good, however. Noise level from music was too loud, so based on all the other comments I have read about the noise, consider turning it down a few notches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- crazy4foodVIPDined on 9/12/2014Service was quick and friendly, food was ok but notting to write home about (Nicola's is much better), restaurant decor was great and music was superb!! (Arctic Monkeys, Led Zeppelin, The Ramones anyone?). Will go one more time to give food a second chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KateKateDined on 9/12/2014Had a great evening at Sotto with some good friends. Great atmosphere, funny, upbeat and very good waitress! Fabulous food will be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect except noiseperfectnightDined on 9/12/2014The food was outstanding in quality, uniqueness, presentation, and quantity. Service was engaged, supportive in arranging what to order and guiding us in quantity and type. Price was high but less than anticipated from previous times at Sotto's. Restrooms clean, unique. The only issue was the noise level -- hard to carry on conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014The food is amazing, but the restaurant is very loud.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceYummDined on 9/11/2014Sotto has great energy and the atmosphere is fantastic! Their Chicken Liver Mousse and Pistacio bruschetta was phenomenal and I would recommend to anyone. Their pasta was good, but not great. Overall it was a fun experience and the staff was attentive and knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, but NiceHungryfoodieDined on 9/10/2014Sotto is a very loud ("energetic") establishment. That said it's excellent for drinks after work or late night, and the pasta is wonderful. Friendly and attentive associates round out a great evening. I prefer upstairs (Boca) for "romantic" and really special occasions, but Sotto is just the right place for casual group gatherings in the evenings.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2014Food was outstanding and our server was great. The only thing that surprised me was that we told our server that it was my mom's 66th birthday. You would think he would have offered her some kind of complimentary dessert. Scoop of ice cream? Nothing. I was surprised by that considering we had already ordered so much in the way of other menu items.Special Features:
- Incredible dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/8/2014From the ambiance to the service and food, every aspect was a 10/10! We were visiting from out-of-town and read the positive reviews. The experience exceeded our expectations.Special Features:
- Perfect Date NightHappyDinerDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I enjoyed our visit to Sotto. The service was perfect and the food was even better. It was the perfect choice for our monthly date night. This month was my pick, my husband is concerned he won't be able to top it next month!! Thank you Sotto!Special Features:
- One of the best in town!Theshooter23Dined on 9/5/2014Sotto is amazing! One of my favorites. Close to, if not the coolest place in town! Get the doughnuts!!Special Features:
- Great experience every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014Sotto provides a terrific dining experience every time we visit.Special Features:
- Excellent Food & Great serviceCincyBestDined on 9/5/2014The food is well prepared and the portions are such that two people share each item enables one to taste many items on the menu. The waiter knew each item on the menu and was willing to make recommendations suggesting we try certain items that we normally would not have tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FavoriteBallet8093VIPDined on 9/5/2014Sotto is quickly becoming our go-to for dinner out downtown when attending the theater or other events. My family is 100% Italian and we approval of the whole menu- delizioso!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!AtrulyWowdinnerDined on 9/3/2014We have never been to a restaurant where the term Wow was used so many times. Our waitress suggested we order various items and share them at the table. Great suggestion! Everything we tasted was a Wow moment. We'll be back. Kevin KurtzSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceDavidVIPDined on 9/3/2014Extremely happy with overall experience. Staff from front to back did a great job, they are friendly, knowledgeable and eager to help. Server (I believe Trevor) was extremely knowledgeable and helpful, my wife selected a wine but wasn't sure, he helped with other choices (wine lists can be difficult for staff and customers), then went through complete menu and answered our questions and had recommendations for each section. Food was excellent, unique, and overall thought prices were reasonable. Restaurant is a little dark and is a little loud (not enough to be a problem) but also interesting atmosphere. Will definitely go back. Difficult to get a reservation for a reason.Special Features:
- Fun, romantic night outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014My boyfriend took me here for my birthday, and we had a great time. The family style way of ordering is my favorite, and Sotto has the perfect set up. Staff is very friendly and our server, Kate knew the menu very well and made great recommendations. The dark, intimate setting made for an awesome date. The only complaint I had was that they had a strange choice of music for the setting (lots of Rolling Stones...?), but that was pretty inconsequential to the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of Town VisitorEnjoyableVIPDined on 9/2/2014We wanted to show a friend from Atlanta how things were changing in downtown Cincinnati. We love the idea of OTR but not the parking and long waits so we went to Boca for drinks and Sotto for dinner. The entire evening was wonderful and much better for those of us on the older side. Our drinks and food were delicious. We shared the chicken liver pate bruschetta, the pork loin, plus several other pasta dishes, and the gelato. Everything was perfectly prepared and we are still talking about the food and the place. I highly recommend all of David's places on this vibrant corner but especially Sotto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cincy bestFoodiesDined on 9/2/2014We now have a new favorite restaurant The small plates of each course was perfect for two. The homemade pasta and presentation of each course was perfect. We will be back with family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as they sayJtrooVIPDined on 8/30/2014Had dinner for the first time here. The sazerac I started with was great and had another later. With the two of us we shared the goat cheese and honey bruschetta (simple but delicious), mixed salad (light and refreshing), polenta and egg (very savory), short rib cappellaci (good), and tonarelli (amazing! simplicity at its best...i ended up sopping up all the sauce). We were stuffed but had enough room for the donuts too. I really like the pistachio sauce and I'm usually a chocolate girl. Pricey but worth it. Service was nice. As most people have commented, it is dark and pretty loud but we didn't have any trouble with holding a conversation. I wanna come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sotto does it rightSradVIPDined on 8/30/2014Great food, great service, great value... Sotto does it right every time. They show how much can be done with a relatively small menu done well. Always worth a visit when in Cincinnati.Special Features:
- JennaJleeDined on 8/29/2014Amazing food. Amazing service. Amazing. Habanero pasta, pork loin and donuts were to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary Dinner at SottoRayCDined on 8/27/2014My girlfriend and I recently went to Sotto for our 2 year anniversary. It was unbelievable. Our server started by making a great recommendation for a white wine that we enjoyed with our garlic bruschetta. Then we ordered the polenta that is topped with an egg and prosciutto that was beyond delicious. To accompany our dinner we had the half craft of the red wine blend that was quite tasty. My girlfriend ordered the rip cappellacci, and I had the penne alla vodka. The thing that seperates this place is that you can just tell how their pasta is made fresh. Its so soft and fresh. For dessert we finished with the ricotta donuts. Our server recommended dipping it in caramel and pistachio, and man that was a great call. Incredible experience!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.