Sorriso - Bar Celona
46 E. Colorado Boulevard
Pasadena, CA 91105Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Sorriso - Bar Celona
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.barcelonapasadena.com/
- Phone: 6264051000
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 1:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Tony
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bar Celona is proud to offer a full service banquet & catering operation that is committed to assisting you in any & all aspects of planning your next event, whether business or social. We would be delighted to help you design the perfect menu that will be memorable & exciting for you & your guests. With the the help of our well-trained coordinators & staff, your event will be smoothly planned & professionally executed.
- Private Party Facilities: At Sorriso - Bar Celona, we have a variety of venues for you to choose from to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, family reunions & other special occasions. You may wish to dine in the Flamenco room, our beautiful private dining room which seats up to 50 people, & is perfect for medium-sized gatherings, social occasions, or business meetings. Our secluded Pation Garden, can seat up to 45 guests. By day, you & your guests may dine surrounded by flowers & greenery; at night, candles glow for the perfect outdoor dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Leslie Nicassio 6268449009
- Entertainment: Lively, casual & coolly sophisticated Tapas Bar & late-night lounge with live entertainment & Flamenco dancing.
- Special Events: Sorriso - Bar Celona is proud to offer a full service banquet & catering operation that is committed to assisting you in any & all aspects of planning your next event, whether business or social.
A word from Sorriso - Bar Celona
Sorriso - Bar Celona, a modern Spanish tapas restaurant and late-night lounge in the historic Colorado Boulevard retail district of Old Pasadena, is the creation of local entrepreneurs Jack and Karen Huang. Combining a lively, casual and coolly sophisticated Atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sorriso - Bar Celona reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)romantic (7)good for groups (6)special occasion (6)late-night find (4)great for lunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Romantic surprise for a week nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014The food was excellent, they had a singer and he was amazing. The restaurant was cozy and romantic and I'm planning to go back next week with a group of women.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerMrBelvedere12Dined on 10/11/2014Had our 2nd anniversary dinner here. Food was good as usual. Service was a bit slow at times, but otherwise great as always.Special Features:
- Overpriced foodalilizg707Dined on 9/16/2014Food was overpriced. I paid $7 for two pieces of bread with a tomato on it. The risotto was undercooked and not flavorful. Service was slow, it took 20 to even bring us water. The sangria was incredibly sweet I couldn't even drink it. I will not return.Special Features:
- Not what it used to beMusicFanDined on 9/6/2014The entire place seemed a little off. They didn't have our wine, forgot our appetizer, and sort-of dumped the bread on our table. We were given a free dessert to make up for the appetizer, but then forgot the a la mode on that.
- great placeccwinendineDined on 9/5/2014I love sorriso and bar celona these places are great for couples no good for kids it ruins the experience and its more of an adult scene than a kid scene. Love Marilyn and frank on the wall and the live entertainment on Wednesday nights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightFoodDivaDined on 8/29/2014Everyone was very attentive and staff was very professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waste of a mealCaliASweetDined on 8/8/2014Ordered the penne vodka (a sorriso favorite according to the menu) and it was terrible - I could have made a better version myself with canned vodka sauce - the sauce was really runny and unflavorable - the chicken was tiny and hard and had no flavor as well. All in all a disappointment. Boyfriend got rigatoni with sausage and pepper and his sauce was equally runny and unflavorable - and the rigatoni was tiny (almost the same as penne). The tapas menu was also disappointing - NO albondigas?? that's just wrong for a tapas menu. Thumbs down - wouldnt go back.
- Relaxing dinnergigi1980Dined on 8/1/2014The food was pretty tasty. Nothing too special about it. I tried the halibut and it was quite good. The portions are small for the price but not bad. My friends seemed to enjoy their food as well. I tried their Flamenco Kiss drink and it was great! The service was friendly and they constantly checked on us but not in an annoying matter.Special Features:
- The following 265 reviews are from the Sorriso - Bar Celona reviews archive.
- Decent Place for RomanceTryingnewthingsDined on 6/14/2014I was in a group of 6. The server kept of bringing us the wrong dish (this happened 3 times)! We thought they were on the house until we asked and they said no, picked up the dishes, walked towards the kitchen and then turned around to placed the dishes to the table next to us! The food is pricy ($18 for a plate of pasta!!) but I do recomend the sangria... That was delicious! Next time I will sit at the bar for a drink and appetizer only.Special Features:
- Great Italian food in PasadenafoodmacDined on 6/8/2014There is a wide variety of food to select from on the menu. We all had different dishes and everyone in our party of six enjoyed their meals. I had the Frutti Di Mare and Cioppino were delicious. The service was also very good. The wine menu is a little lite but there is also a full bar.Special Features:
- Feeling Let DownakvongDined on 5/24/2014Have been coming here for over 8 years. Discovered it during early dating scene with now husband and even had wedding rehearsal dinner here because we loved the food so much. Went there over the weekend for wedding anniversary and was very disappointed. Ordered Australian lobster. Husband asked when it was flown in and the waiter just said "its fresh" because he didn't know. Plate looked NOTHING like the picture on their website. Lobster came in a plate/ bowl hybrid which made it difficult to de-shell and cut - bowl kept tipping over. Had to transfer it to a plate. Mashed Potatoes underneath the lobster had consistency of soup in which the veges sunk into it like quicksand. Paella barely had rice in it and was mushy/ soupy like risotto.Special Features:
- My "Go To" PlaceEllieFVIPDined on 5/10/2014When I want a restaurant with reliably good food, service, and not so noisy that you have to scream to be heard, I go to Sorriso-Bar Celona. Which means, I go there a lot. We recently had friends in from NYC who are real foodies and this place impressed even them. On top of that, the owner, Jack, is community minded and always lends a hand to my nonprofit, Bloom Again Foundation. Put it all together and you'd have to find a good reason NOT to go. A pleasant change from the Smith Brothers restaurants like Smitty's and Parkway where there's too much attitude and no sense of community.Special Features:
- How wonderful and comfortablesopleasedDined on 4/9/2014I had Alaskan halibut with sautéed spinach atop creamy mashed potatoes surrounded with a moat of beurre blanc. Heaven! There was an entertainer named Doug singing, he has a voice of an angel, so smooth. Happy hour wine was only $5. What a nice way to start the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great serviceBarbaraDined on 4/6/2014We dined early in the evening in their outside sidewalk area. They had it tastefully away from pedestrians, but not too far away...so we were still able to enjoy Old Pasadena's street ambience. Food was delicious - we had fish and the tiramisu was fantastic; service was prompt and attentive without being in your face. We will return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had been to Bar CelonaCrewVIPDined on 3/29/2014We had been to Bar Celona many times, and have always enjoyed the tapas very much. This time was different, as I think the restaurant is focusing on the Italian fare instead, and the tapas are an afterthought. We were seated and given only the Sorriso menu, and had to ask for the Tapas menu. If we wanted Italian, we would have gone to an Italian restaurant, not to Bar Celona. Anyhow, the tapas were still flavorful for the most part, but not prepared as well, and definitely not the quantity that we were used to. The Paella is still delicious, you can't go wrong with that. But, if you are given only the Sorriso menu, you won't see it, and miss out on a terrific meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingKShahVIPDined on 2/22/2014We have been going to Bar Celona for years but things haven't been the same since they got bought over by soriso. Service was sluggish and they brought us the wrong dish once. Rustic bread was smaller than ever and soggy. The special of artichokes ravioli with smoked mozzarella was probably the worst we have ever eaten! The smoky flavor overtook Everything else. The veggie paella barely had any flavor.
- DisappointmentmacaroniDined on 2/15/2014We've known the original Sorriso on Colorado Blvd and the restaurant when it relocated to Pasadena Avenue. We came back to this location hoping it was like the one we remember and it was not. There are waiters all over the place so it was difficult to understand why our orders - from drinks to check - took so long. The drinks were all delivered at different times by different servers. The entrees were pleasant except for one - the "rare" request was not heeded, the steak was medium at best. The restaurant is very loud but it was full and it's always nice to see young energy in our local restaurants however, it isn't a place you'd go if you wanted to hear.Special Features:
- Sorriso Feb 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/11/2014Good food & wine. Half-priced bottles of wine on Tuesdays hard to beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a wonderful time hangoutSeanDined on 2/8/2014I had a wonderful time hangout with my best friend the food is great an drink is wonderful it is a lil loud the music is cool the bar is good the food is wonderful the people are nice here this a great place to eat atSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time to this restaurantjohnDined on 2/1/2014First time to this restaurant and i really enjoyed it ---Good jobI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and good sangriaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2014Sangria was delicious and the bartender was sweet. The food was decent but I would recommend going there for drinks and not a full meal.Special Features:
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/25/2014We were looking for a nice little spot to meet with friends in Pasadena and found Sorriso on the Dine LA website. Great place to meet with friends and the food was outstanding...Spanish and Italian. Nice atmosphere and ambiance that allows for easy conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DineLA spotAllyBayDined on 1/24/2014We chose this spot from the DineLA list and loved it! The food was very good, especially loved the penne vodka, and the sangria in the pitcher (white) was excellent. Definitely recommend to anyone looking for a nice dinner in Pasadena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE the red sangria! HappyAmillsDined on 1/24/2014LOVE the red sangria! Happy hour options are amazing and give you a great taste of what the restaurant has to offer. All the food that we tried was delicious. Calamari was tender and lightly battered with an amazing dipping sauce. Misto salad light with great flavors. Paella full of fresh veggies and meat with rich flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar-Celona's a hitDonnaDined on 1/19/2014I chose this restaurant as a place to meet friends who are foodies, based on past experience eating there. They loved it - and I did, too. Excellent, interesting tastes and textures, good service and a fun time. Recommend it if you like eating small bites that will delight your taste buds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerdonnbobbaDined on 1/15/2014we don't go out much any more but your place hit the spot for us after an exciting time at the "Norton-simon "museum down the street. Hope to visit you again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian with a side of SpainPasadena94VIPDined on 1/14/2014This was the first time I had been to the "merger" of Sorriso (Italian) and Bar Celona (Spanish Tapas). The primary menu is Italian fare, which was good but we were in the mood for Spanish. Thankfully they still offer a selection of tapas, empanadas and even paella. We sampled a few different empanadas, which were very delicious. The pastry is light and flaky; although the sweet potato empanadas would have been better with a different topping (the flavors did not complement each other). The paella was average. The rosemary chicken entree and spinach/pear salad were both very good.Special Features:
- Good food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014The food was good and the service better. The crab cakes are a must try. Only wish the tables were more spread out; the couple next to us was practically in our laps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutdesignerbrenDined on 1/11/2014We originally made reservations at Bar Celona but realized its a glammed up Sports Bar which we were not in the mood for. Luckly there are three restaurants linked together with the same menu so we opted for the nicer ambient Italian restaurant adjacent to Bar Celona offering its own menu and the menu from Bar Celona. We chose food from the Italian Menu. Charred Rustic Bread, delicious. Asparagus, very good. Seafood Paella,okay. Seemed as if it was just put in a bowl from a larger pot of paella. Rice was mushy and just didnt have that authentic paella texture and flavor. Service took awhile to get started but once we placed our order things moved along nicely. All in all, it was a decent dining experience but we dont plan on coming back.
- ExcellentProfessorDined on 12/24/2013My son and wanted a quiet atmosphere so that we could have a quality father/son experience. This restaurant was perfect. Both the food and atmosphere were superb. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome First time!PattyQDined on 12/20/2013I went for lunch with friends and we ordered tapas. Started with chicken empanadas, and sweet potato empanadas -both good. Then came the superb!: mussels and clams in a fantastic saffron sauce, piquillo chiles stuffed with goat cheese - absolutely fabulous! what an incredible taste! then came the warm octopus salad - a mixture of ingredients with one of the best octopus I have ever had - soft/firm but not chewy, and the dressing just made the whole experience seemed like a party in your mouth! but the last dish was out of this world! the pork belly was just sensational! crispy on the outside, and melt in your mouth on the inside!! a must order every time! Service was very attentive and a nice interior. 5 STARS!!Special Features:
- Cozy and warmmnotr1VIPDined on 12/8/2013There was give of us and everything we ordered was good, the salmon special, pizza, chicken Marsala. All good. the place was warm and inviting. This place move from down the street which was a bigger location. The smaller location fits this groupSpecial Features:
- New location same great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/16/2013Phenomenal service, good food . Drinks are quite good as well try their take on a jalapeño margarita The revolutionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodEllieFVIPDined on 11/5/2013This is my office away from the office. I meet people here all the time for lunch as you can talk, the service is great, and the food is consistently good. My favorites are the fresh salads -- the steak and Italian chopped salad to be exact. Also, they have a pistachio encrusted halibut that is delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Villa SORRISO is A New Find!SachaDined on 11/4/2013Italian cuisine was yummy! Quality and presentation were lovely and would recommend to friends and family. Kudos to Jack HUANG for another outstanding restaurant in Old Town Pasadena!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pick another placeDTLA4PDined on 11/2/2013The service was terrible. Our reservation was at 8:30 p.m. and we FINALLY got our entrees at 10:30 p.m. In between, it was difficult to get another round of drinks and after 3 requests for more bread, we finally received some AFTER our meal arrived. Even though we were in the middle of the restaurant the waiter didn't check on us, nor did he respond to any of our overtures to get his attention. There HAS to someplace better to eat in Old Town. My husband was tempted to go and get our drinks from the bar, where he could see them getting to room temperature as the waiter stood to the side oblivious! Don't waste your money or your time here.
- Busy, hot spotPc1029VIPDined on 11/2/2013Very busy. We shared a few appetizers. My favorite was the caprese appetizer. Then we shared a pizza. Good flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night lifeTapas2eatDined on 10/26/2013The food was excellent along with the service. The only disappointment was that I was looking for iive entertainment! Spanish/Flemenco music would have been nice to add to the ambiance. The bar area and DJ sounds is more for a younger crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, friendly atmosphere.savorerVIPDined on 10/25/2013Villa Sorriso is one of our favorite Italian Restaurants. We've been there with friends several time and they always enjoy it. This time we met with someone we hadn't seen for quite a while and were looking forward to catching up. Unfortunately, the group of young women at the next table were extremely loud. We were glad they were having a good time, but we were not able to hear each other talk until they left. They were celebrating a birthday and finished about the time we were half way through our meal. The food was delicious as always. I had the lasagna, my husband ordered the linguini with clams, and our friend ordered a chili chicken pasta. The Chianti, the beer and the Chardonnay were all very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TapasvirginiadinerDined on 10/14/2013We were confused when we arrived because we were presented with a menu of Italian food. We asked the server if we were in the wrong restaurant and he explained that the owner offered both types of food. We were then provided with the tapas menu. Food was good and we were not hurried through our meal.