Sorella di Zza's
552 Grand Ave.
Oakland, CA 94610Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Sorella di Zza's
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.morezzas.com/
- Phone: 5108399124
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Lunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Tapas / Small Plates, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Filemon Jimenez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The wine bar and restaurant are both available for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Regina 4155053478
A word from Sorella di Zza's
A true neighborhood gathering place, Zza’s intimate décor of warm hues and wood accents welcomes you to an evening of low-key elegance, Whether you are in the mood for a simple Italian dinner or a glass of wine from our global list Zza’s is a must!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sorella di Zza's reviews from OpenTable diners
- I love this restaurant. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013I love this restaurant. The food is incredible, all the ingredients are to fresh! The lasagna is the best I have ever had. Also, the dipping sauce for bread that you get before your meal is out of this world! The staff is very good and attentive. It is not a super fancy place but sort of a mix between that and more relaxed, casual. Very pleasant experience that I would recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- nice to look out at the lake,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/26/2013nice to look out at the lake, but the restaurant itself needs a tune up in the areas of service and some of the food. they were also out of the bread usually served with olive oil and vinegar, and this was at 6:30 on a tuesday night! they were nice enough to give us some bruschetta, but it seems that tighter management is needed. they are also understaffed - it took a very long time for anyone to inquire whether we would like some wine and fortunately we were ready to order by then. there were things we had to ask for that we shouldn't have. the restaurant itself also seemed very frayed around the edges. this is the third visit, and really want to like it, as it's a convenient spot in an attractive location, but probably won't be backSpecial Features:
- Christopher, the sommelier,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/24/2013Christopher, the sommelier, is superb, always brings in amazing wines and gladly spends time with you to find the right match. His fights are superb. The pastas and pizza are a wonderful, simple accompaniment to delicious wines.Special Features:
- Had To ApologizeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2013A very disappointing experience. Had to apologize to my friends for bringing them here. We were a party of four. Between us we had a large variety of items from the menu. The only thing among all of our selections that anyone liked was the herb-flavored olive oil for bread dipping! The appetizers and salads were so inferior I honestly don't know how they had the guts to serve them. We waited forever for our entrees to arrive, and when they did they were hardly worth eating. At least we had an outstanding wine at a very fair price. Thank God for small favors.Special Features:
- Service was good but foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013Service was good but food wasn't good. Maybe i ordered the wrong thing. I had short ribs with marinara sauce and it was like chuck roast that had been cooked in unseasoned marinara sauce. I wouldn't go there again.
- I loved the ambiance of theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013I loved the ambiance of the restaurant. We were seated quickly and attended to quickly. The entrees were reasonably priced and excellent in flavor, quality over quantity. So if you prefer large portions, this is not the place. But if you're looking for a nice atmosphere, this is a good place. Loved the lights that came on when they sang Happy Birthday to someone; would be nice if they were on alwys during the evenings.Special Features:
- Good Ambiance. Decent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013Good Ambiance. Decent food. Was not crazy about service, it could be better. Overall is was decent.
- Food quality and price areAlanDined on 3/15/2013Food quality and price are reasonable. But menu is limited and has not changed for a while. If the restaurant wants repeating customers, it needs to change its menu more often.
- Where is the old Zza's?OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013The Pasta di Mare' was awful, e.g. overcooked seafood, pasta past "al dente?" (sp?). The pasta dish with the caliente peppers and clams was good, but the "fixings", e.g. the clams, were barely noticeable. I would mentioned these issues,but we were a table of six celebrating a family get together and I did not want to bring any negative energy onto the happy occasion. The only high point of the evening was the impressive "Maurice", our server.It seems the only thing Zza's is good at now is pizza - which means it is a good backup to Boot and Shine.
- My husband and I went on ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013My husband and I went on our first date there 23 years ago. I am shocked that this resteraunt is still open. The food is terrible. Soggy pasta I bowls that are way to small. I am sad that it has gone so far down hill. I will not be returning
- Excellent classic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Excellent classic Italian food. The decoration and lighting is OK but could be improved.Special Features:
- Very disappointed We willOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2013Very disappointed We will not be going back, lots of better options in Oakland. One very close to home is Italian Colors in Montclair
- Sorella di Zza's is a goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/5/2013Sorella di Zza's is a good basic restaurant. It's not outstanding, but you get good value for your money.
- I love this ZZA'S!!! TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2013I love this ZZA'S!!! They have the Best pizza in the East Bay and I have tasted them all. We had brunch last Sunday and it was wonderful from the warm homemade bread to the Breakfast Pizza YUM to their version of Eggs Benedict on a polenta cake to the French Toast. Service was excellent and the waitress even suggested instead of ordering 3 Mimosa's at $9 each to get a bottle of Champagne for $25 with bottomless Orange Juice.Special Features:
- My boyfriend and I had a lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/20/2013My boyfriend and I had a lovely quiet evening at Zza's - great food, good wine, and it was the first time I ever heard rap music played at an Italian restaurant... loved it.Special Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/14/2013I had heard great reviews about their pizzas. The recommended "best pizza" on the menu, sausage, was just OK. Yes, the crust was thin but it was also dry and the whole affair was rather bland. Parts of it were overcooked. The grilled lamb served with fresh mint sauce was too salty and the "sauce" was simply plain yogurt with no hint of mint. A mediocre experience. Ralph
- The food was really bad -reviewVIPDined on 1/12/2013The food was really bad - e.g. 15$ for a salumi plate appetizer that looked and tasted like it had been assembled from whatever was hanging around on the kitchen counter. Pasta sauces were overly spiced. Bread was lousy - in the Bay area?!!! Three of the main courses were served while the fourth person waited 5-10 minutes before hers arrived.
- Food was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/11/2013Well we got there at 4:30 to see if they would let us in early for our 5p reservation. The door says they open at 4P on Fridays but when we came there at 4:30, they said they do not open till 5p. Huh? Anyway they let us in anyway which I thought was nice but it was a little weird since we were the only ones there. The waiter we had was nice but we were not offered bread. I had to ask for it when I saw another waiter offer it to another table. The food was just okay. It definitely was not the best I ever had. I do recommend the pizza or lasagna. I would go again only if someone was treating. The staff was pleasant though and I thought our waiter was nice.Special Features:
- Excellent Food/Family FriendlyandrewsjrDined on 1/4/2013This was our first visit and I must say i thought the food was excellent. The mussels as appetizer were in a delicious sauce, the pappardelle pasta (homemade)with ragu was rich and flavorful, the spaghetti carbonara tasty without being over-the-top indulgent (I don't think they used cream in the sauce) and the baked chicken was a winner as well. Ambiance is a little bare but okay. The restaurant is definitely kid friendly, as most of the tables had small children when we went - I suspect this changes later in the evening. Since our youngest child is in college, I think next time I would try to eat in the wine bar which is attached and I assume has the same menu just because it was quieter.Special Features:
- Most of the time we have aOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/4/2013Most of the time we have a great experience here. This most recent was bad. Our server was slow and distracted, bringing items to the table we did not request - he did not seem to be listening. We had a considerable wait after we were seated before anyone came to the table and our order took nearly 45 minutes. Everyone was very nice, however, and the staff was working very hard. Maybe the stars were not aligned this night. They oferred to buy us a drink, but then charged us. Oops! We were some of the first diners here and we'll may try again.
- loved the butternut squashSJfoodieVIPDined on 1/3/2013loved the butternut squash soup; Beet salad was amazing. good deals during Happy Hour. Highly recommend this restaurant.
- Not too satisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/1/2013The service was lacking, really lacking. The kitchen was also very very slow. When we commented on the length of time, we were told that there was only one cook and they were short on servers. They were also out of many menu items.Special Features:
- Sad turn of events - New years eveNguyenVIPDined on 12/31/2012As someone that goes to Zza's regularly, I was really saddened that i chose to bring two friends to a new years eve dinner that was so horrible. I imagine the top chef was not there and i noticed the manager was also not there and unfortunately it was reflected in the food.
- Food was very good. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/31/2012Food was very good. Service was a little slow-took awhile to order and get the check. Don't sit by the windows on a cold night,very drafty.Special Features:
- then menu has changed again,taggyleeVIPDined on 12/14/2012then menu has changed again, but everything is still very enjoyable. great burrata/marinated tomato starter, delicious thin crust pizza. even the cheaper wines are something special. lovely view of the lake, very pleasant service.Special Features:
- Delicious local gemOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/14/2012We had caesar salad and two pasta dishs, spaghetti with shrimp in a garlic sauce and egg noodles with beef and pork ragu. The salad was generously sized and very good. Both pastas were absolutely delicious. Fresh, interesting without being precious, generous portions. The wait staff was friendly and helpful without being intrusive. The decor is simple and a little chilly on a cold night but the view of Lake Merritt and the sparkling necklace of lights from our window-side table was great. It wasn't very crowded while we were there so it's hard to say what the noise level would be if it were, but we had a nice, quiet conversation. We finished with warm chocolate cake with vanilla gelato - delicious! Definitely going back!Special Features:
- This place is a sleeper. IfredarepVIPDined on 12/9/2012This place is a sleeper. I found it on opentable & was surprised (pleasantly) at how grat the food is (pizza that is to die for, salads that are unusual & tasty, dessert that are incredible). The owner takes great pride in having reasonably priced wines that are gems from all over the world. Can't say enough good about this place.Special Features:
- Our server Ben was very knowledgeabcsdstyleVIPDined on 11/21/2012Our server Ben was very knowledgeable and attentive. We had a few different tastes and pairings with our 4 course meal. The bar side of the restaurant was a much better experience than the restaurant side and I will definitely be returning soon to check out their new eeriness.Special Features:
- Better than we rememberedjaz2020VIPDined on 11/1/2012Overall liked Zza's more than Sidebar. Lamb skewers small but tasty. Burrata w/heirloom tomatoes was AMAZING! Beautifully balanced flavors, just perfect. Beet salad was wonderful--all beets, instead of lots of leaves and a few thin slices. Loved the crunch of toasted chopped almonds in it. Roast chicken was very good. Linguine soffrito got subbed bucatini; spicy sauce was great but pasta too heavy for it. Short ribs with polenta were delicious. Zza's makes a well-balanced polenta that's not too rich or watery, perfect as a side. Tiramisu was very good, above average for restaurants. Coffee is good only when fresh-brewed. Service, however, was stretched too thin. With a crowd, service slows down too much.Special Features:
- The slight warming of theOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/12/2012The slight warming of the olives is brilliant. Such a well-priced wine list of fascinating things absolutely requires return visits, and with the promise of continuous change, we will be there often. Service was just the right tone. Thanks for a wonderful evening (the first of many).Special Features:
- DelishHollywoodDined on 10/4/2012Excellent food. The shortribs were perfectly done. Our waitress was very patient with us as it was our first time there. They had a nice wine menu too. Great experience overall. We will go back.Special Features:
- My dish was spectacular -anniversaryDateVIPDined on 9/30/2012My dish was spectacular - Papardelle with Beef/Pork Ragout. It was so yummy, although I think it was full of butter, so probably not so good on the waistline.Special Features:
- Nice family dinnerOaktownMommaDined on 9/23/2012We were really delighted with our server Melissa. Everything was done so well with our family of four - even the kids' drinks were served with lids and straws. The pizza was good as was the pasta a la carbonara. We were really glad to try Zza's and intend to return.Special Features:
- Ehhh.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2012Came here for date might on a whim. Didn't expect much, and frankly, the dinner didn't surpass my expectations. It started out well enough with good wine, the burrata and heirloom tomato salad was the best dish, and cesar salad was also good. Asked for more bread to supplement the measly 3 pieces of thin toast, and we were served some store bought soft white bread. Can't remember the last time we had such poor quality bread served at a restaurant the charges $9-11 for salads. It all went downhill from then on with the pappardelle with beef & pork ragu as the pasta was over cooked and the sauce lacked any depth. Any authentic Italian place worth its salt would never serve pasta unless it was al dente. Hubby liked the cheesy lasagna with
- Food was not as good as usualAlanDined on 9/12/2012Food was not as good as usual and menu has changed. No lasagna, no veal, which was my wife's favorite. The waiter was not very attentive.Special Features:
- My sweetie and I had our firstOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2012My sweetie and I had our first real date here a year ago and went back on our 'anniversary'... Ben, our waiter, was a smart and knowledgeable host, re-seating us at 'our' table and handling our food and wine order. The food was surprisingly delicious and well prepared. We had a special small funghi pizza, and surrounded it with a wonderful arugula salad, a shrimp and bacon appetizer that was to die for, a side of kale, and another of polenta -- all wonderful, along with a great bottle of Argentinian white. Then Christopher, the main wine guru who had served us a year ago, came by all smiles, remembering (or at least convincing us he remembered) us, and sending over a delicious panecotta. One of the best of our many restaurant experiences!Special Features:
- The food was very good, butShortstopDined on 8/29/2012The food was very good, but the service was very slow and understaffed.Special Features:
- Enjoy it! Waiters and HostTiffiniVIPDined on 8/17/2012Enjoy it! Waiters and Host Extremely Friendly And Definately Knew How To Service Kids!Special Features:
- quality has gone down quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2012quality has gone down quite a bit. pasta lacked flavor. kale was tough. service was OK.
- I had eaten at Zza's onceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/24/2012I had eaten at Zza's once before and thoroughly enjoyed it enough to suggest it for a dinner with friends We had a delicious dinner and I will return again and again.Special Features: